• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

BHK3

Banned
By they way everyone, the audio in the multiplayer is not the same as the single player, the MP has had fucked audio since the beta and it seems not a single thing has changed. The fighting feels a lot...weirder, I'll play more and give more impressions later, but the shit audio is still shit.

I've just played the demo and enjoyed it. Anyone played the demo and the full game? Is the demo a fair representation of the full game?

Moze

Banned
It's not even that hard, but I can see it becoming very frustrating if/when you lose it over and over. It's suddenly much more difficult than everything that came before and the first wave of the trial has an annoying enemy combination, making the later parts that much more difficult if you screw up. There are no checkpoints throughout the trial and (short) unskippable cutscenes between each part. I don't think it's a very well designed part considering the game's learning curve, or something just slipped through playtesting. I don't know, but it probably needed at least one checkpoint (and I hope that's what they will patch in, difficulty itself is fine in my opinion).

In short, it's a trial, much like the optional trials that were in each GoW before. But I can understand how it can get in the way of one's enjoyment of the SP campaign.

is it required to complete the game? when people call it a ''trial'' it makes it sound optional

gibration

By they way everyone, the audio in the multiplayer is not the same as the single player, the MP has had fucked audio since the beta and it seems not a single thing has changed. The fighting feels a lot...weirder, I'll play more and give more impressions later, but the shit audio is still shit.

The only issue I've ran into with the audio in multiplayer is that it goes off sync when you go in for the brutal kill. It doesn't happen as often as it did with beta though. As for the combat, it feels more responsive imo.

I've just played the demo and enjoyed it. Anyone played the demo and the full game? Is the demo a fair representation of the full game?
The demo is the very beginning of the game, and it isn't the best representation.

I'm only about 6 chapters in, but immediately following the demo portion the game gets better and better. In fact, my friend played past what I got to and he seemed very happy with how it stacks up to the other games.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
just finished it, loved it.

but 3 is still my favorite, i liked this one but 3 felt more epic to me, makes sense kinda cause this is set before 1 i guess.

CANNOT WAIT FOR GOW PS4.

The demo is the very beginning of the game, and it isn't the best representation.

I'm only about 6 chapters in, but immediately following the demo portion the game gets better and better. In fact, my friend played past what I got to and he seemed very happy with how it stacks up to the other games.

Thanks, I did like the demo, so if the game gets better that's good to know. Looks like I'll have to pick it up, might wait for a price drop though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Trial is as rough as everyone was saying.
Goddamn that first round. I have no problem until the sirens show up, then everything goes to shit. I've made it to the minotaur in the third round but accidentally kept rolling into spikes. I just can't seem to get through round 1 with my health high enough to make it through the other ones. The amazons hit me pretty hard but the rest is easy enough that I know I can make it if I can just keep my health up. I'm mostly spamming magic and Oathstone but am having a lot of difficulty still. I'm also about 8k short of orbs to get my blades to level 5. Anyone got any tips on to which spells are effective?

ebil

Goddamn that first round. I have no problem until the sirens show up, then everything goes to shit. I've made it to the minotaur in the third round but accidentally kept rolling into spikes. I just can't seem to get through round 1 with my health high enough to make it through the other ones. The amazons hit me pretty hard but the rest is easy enough that I know I can make it if I can just keep my health up. I'm mostly spamming magic and Oathstone but am having a lot of difficulty still. I'm also about 8k short of orbs to get my blades to level 5.
You should try
using the Hades Blades, square combos, dodge rolling/blocking a lot and not using too much magic on the first part. Also keep the Amulet of Uroboros and Orkos Oathstone on cooldown, they're very good for crowd control. As soon as the amazons spawn, spam Hades Magic (Zeus could work, too) to finish them quickly then move on. The later phases are not that hard if you manage to keep your health above 50% for the second round. I avoided rolling on phase 3 to not get damaged by the spikes and mostly blocked/parried.
Good luck!

redhot_

Wow they sure made Kratos feel like a little bitch in this game, getting tossed around by two gorgons and these lightning fucks is annoying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You should try
using the Hades Blades, square combos, dodge roll/block a lot and not using too much magic on the first part. Also keep the Uroboros Amulet and Orkos Oathstone on cooldown, they're very good for crowd control. As soon as the amazons spawn, spam Hades Magic (Zeus could work, too) to finish them quickly then move on. The later phases are not that hard if you manage to keep your health above 50% for the second round. I avoided rolling on phase 3 to not get damaged by the spikes and mostly blocked/parried.
Good luck!

OK cool. Haven't used that element much. I'll give it a shot.

So this game arrives tomorrow morning in the UK, what's the best way to go about this? Do I just get stuck into it or wait for inevitable patches to fix the supposed audio problems/difficulty spike?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Goddamn that first round. I have no problem until the sirens show up, then everything goes to shit. I've made it to the minotaur in the third round but accidentally kept rolling into spikes. I just can't seem to get through round 1 with my health high enough to make it through the other ones. The amazons hit me pretty hard but the rest is easy enough that I know I can make it if I can just keep my health up. I'm mostly spamming magic and Oathstone but am having a lot of difficulty still. I'm also about 8k short of orbs to get my blades to level 5. Anyone got any tips on to which spells are effective?

I used the lightning magic and ALWAYS use time slow down thingy, forget what it is called. Just work on those gorgons and keep using lightning when you can. You just have to make as few mistakes as possible, basically. You will get hit just try to mitigate it. Also, spam square attacks only in round one. Just spam the shit out of it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wow they sure made Kratos feel like a little bitch in this game, getting tossed around by two gorgons and these lightning fucks is annoying.

It really is kind of silly. You are blocking sooooo much in this game. It is really off putting after playing so much Ninja Gaiden and MGR lately.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have close to 8 hours logged, on chapter 24 now. Already maxed my health/magic so the 1000 red orbs per white chest should help a lot upgrading the few things I have left.

I have to say, I am absolutely loving this. So much more to the environmental variety, and the whole sequence right before the bros before hoes trophy was thrilling. This game eclipses the hell out of god of war 3 to me.

Minion101

Banned
I just beat the game and I thought it was pretty fantastic. Upgrading that Amulet of Uroborus for the trial Archimedes made all the difference in me beating it.

redhot_

Yea, but this game you are getting hit all the time damn near. It just seems harder to keep enemies in hitstun.

Yea I just always seem to be getting this feeling that I got this delay on blocking, which probably is just because kratos gets staggered so much.

I disagree. The scale is always going to stay the same, so like anything with watchability, it's going to come down to the right size TV for how far away you are sitting. I'm playing on a 24" monitor, and I feel immersed in the experience sitting about three feet away.

We're not really disagreeing - the character models can get very small in this game, you need to either have a good size TV or be sitting pretty damn close.

As for everyone complaining about audio issues & the trials... Just wait for a few days. They've said they're addressing both these issues, no use complaining about something they've said they're fixing. I agree it shouldn't have shipped with the audio issues, but what's done is done - if it bothers you, either play with headphones, or wait.

I haven't tried the trials yet, but I think everybody's a pretty reasonable GOW player in here so I figure if you guys are having issues, it's probably an issue. But again... just wait. Play something else for a bit.

redhot_

Ugh fuck it, I'm done till they fix or put in a check point on the trials, I got no patients for shit gameplay.

Time for co-op.

Melchiah

Another goddam platforming/grapple section, and another dozen failed attempts. If anything is wrong with the game, it's these unbeliavably annoying sections, that add absolutely no enjoyment to the game, quite the contrary. It's beyond me why they were even inserted there in the first place. Are there really people, who actually enjoy playing God of War for these miss-and-die parts?

EDIT: I'm talking about this part, from 8:20 onwards...
http://youtu.be/01QYtJbr-m4

I just entered the oracle's temple. Overall, I agree with Jett. This is the first God of War game with TERRIBLE camera angles, sometimes it's so fucking hard to see Kratos or tell his position among the enemies. Game also doesn't feel as epic as God of War 3 did...bunch of generic locations so far, even the snake level felt meh. Story is also nonsensical, I don't even know wtf I am doing in the oracle's temple.

I dunno about this game man...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
just got to the demo part(not the pubic release demo) how far am I into it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just entered the oracle's temple. Overall, I agree with Jett. This is the first God of War game with TERRIBLE camera angles, sometimes it's so fucking hard to see Kratos or tell his position among the enemies. Game also doesn't feel as epic as God of War 3 did...bunch of generic locations so far, even the snake level felt meh. Story is also nonsensical, I don't even know wtf I am doing in the oracle's temple.

I dunno about this game man...

The game skyrockets in quality from where you are.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God of War 3 was easily the least memorable GoW game to me. Most of the locales looked sameish and blended together, making most of the game a blur thinking back aside from the boss encounters.

Gold_Loot

Another goddam platforming/grapple section, and another dozen failed attempts. If anything is wrong with the game, it's these unbeliavably annoying sections, that add absolutely no enjoyment to the game, quite the contrary. It's beyond me why they were even inserted there in the first place. Are there really people, who actually enjoy playing God of War for these miss-and-die parts?

EDIT: I'm talking about this part, from 8:20 onwards...
http://youtu.be/01QYtJbr-m4

I had no problems there. What was giving you trouble ?

Syn23

Just beaten the game.
The final boss was epic.

Imo, a great GOW. Apart from the story and the bad audio design choices and audio glitches, everything else was great. I enjoyed combat, puzzle solving and even most of the platforming and sliding. Graphics were amazing, art was mostly solid.

Can't wait to see what these guys can do on PS4, either with GOW or a new IP.

In many ways this game feels a bit like Uncharted 3 (and for the record, I greatly enjoyed Uncharted 3 unlike some others).

- Game feels rushed. Glitchiest God of War game I've ever played (weird bugs, audio mix, presentation cuts and editing). I cannot believe that stuff like this is allowed to make it into the final retail release.

-Game starts out slow but ends up gaining momentum and contains some of the best moments of the series.

-Decent puzzle design compared to other entries in the series.

-Combat design that can be frustrating and offputting for some.

In many ways it's a great game, it just doesn't have the level of polish that the title deserves. 2-3 more months in the oven could have made a big difference.

OmahaG8

Comment and question

1) my eyes lit up when my tv prompted for 3D, I know it's silly but still novel and neat

2) I put in my Amazon code into PSN via ps3 yesterday, and it didn't download anything, nor is it on my downloads list on my ps3. Putting the code in again results in an already claimed message. But it does show up on playstations website under my history. Any thoughts or anyone else have the same happen? Thanks!

Edit- damnit, it won't even let me enter my PSASBR issac and zues code

So anyway, to answer my own question (in case it helps anyone else)

I called Sony customer service, he showed me how the Amazon code unlocks content, but nothing downloads. I saw in my transaction history on my PS3 under account mgmt that this was the case. Also, he said the All Stars code won't be active until the 19th.

Then we talked about how I still had a 60 GB PS3 and some other stuff. Cool guy and actually a positive customer service experience.

Top Bottom