• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

jackb2424

Banned
I don't know what game some of you are playing but Im only halfway through now and Ascension is now my favorite GOW. Not only does it have that GOW2 vibe of the incredible adventure but it does even better than 2. I didn't think graphically that would see much of an improvement over GOW3 but this is the best looking console game I have seen to date. Close ups on Kratos are insanely detailed

Like I said earlier in thread its the combat for me, i'm in love with it. I relish every combat and trying to fill the rage meter and when that happens Kratos is unstoppable. The new grapple must be permanent feature in future games. Watching Kratos fight has never been this enjoyable. Yeah there are some sound issues but there is no denying the awesome soundtrack and effects.. That Ice Magic is so awesome..

And the game is a challenge. Square square triangle doesn't work like it use to but its a welcome change. The puzzles that I have experienced so far challenging excellently designed. That whole snake thing was incredible. Im just not seeing the hate for Ascension. Its an unbelievable game. SSM, this is one hell of a game, My favorite GOW and i'm not even finished yet

gibration

Didnt know bout running part, but using it against dodgers... i swear half the time this thing pops up (halo), you cant chain grab someone. It does nothing. They evade outta way and you are spamming that grab to no avail.

Idk, I've had trouble with it too but I think it's due to my timing. The window on it seems very small so it could be that.

So I've got my blades upgraded to level 4 (I think) and it opens up the following moves/button combos...

1. right stick + hold triangle
2. right stick + hold square
3. right stick + hold x

How the fuck am I supposed to press those button combinations with my right hand? If I'm pressing any of those buttons, then my thumb is going to be off the right joystick. Furthermore, x is fucking jump. If I hold the controller all dopey and shit, and move the right stick and hold x, all Kratos does is roll and jump.

You don't... They are evade actions. Just click the direction you want to go and hold one of those buttons.

Minion101

Banned
So I've got my blades upgraded to level 4 (I think) and it opens up the following moves/button combos...

3. right stick + hold x

How the fuck am I supposed to press those button combinations with my right hand? If I'm pressing any of those buttons, then my thumb is going to be off the right joystick. Furthermore, x is fucking jump. If I hold the controller all dopey and shit, and move the right stick and hold x, all Kratos does is roll and jump.

I thought the same thing. You can't really do those one handed.

Does the MP feels a lot different than the Beta? Like U2 Beta to final or U3 beta to final.

I'm asking because I loved the beta, the same happened with U3 I loved the Beta but I thought they changed it to much by the final version.

It's a lot better than the beta. Tons of content, and the co-op horde mode is just beast!

ruxtpin

Banned
Thanks for the replies. That makes more sense if it's some type of response after an evade. I find the game just putting a pic of the right stick and telling me to hold the button a bit vague. Then again, I don't play a lot of action games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thanks for the replies. That makes more sense if it's some type of response after an evade. I find the game just putting a pic of the right stick and telling me to hold the button a bit vague. Then again, I don't play a lot of action games.

It's still bullshit. Previous GOW games had those moves (or at least moves coming out of a roll) and you didn't have to hold the button, which makes it much harder to pull off for no reason.

I'm at the
elevator after getting the eye upgrade.
Is this the Trials I've heard so much about? Because this section is fucking bullshit.

I beat it in less than 10 attempts maybe. I wasn't counting. I was, however, counting all the failings of the combat system as I tried to just play the game like a man.

Here's a tip: Do you want to fight the enemies like a badass? Don't.

Just turtle and parry, continuously capitalizing on using the stunned enemy offensively. The first round takes some luck. The second one you can beat the same way and there are fewer enemies (use the soul blades L3+R3 attack to clear out the airborne enemies). The third round I beat the first time just by fighting normally. I don't know why it gets easier as you go.

It's crazy that it's so fucking hard with no indication whatsoever of what will work. Once I realized I could see what was going on half the time, and could complete a combo without getting attacked, I just said fuck it and waited to parry snake attacks. L2+Triangle helps keep the lightning ladies under control.

Skidd

3. right stick + hold x

How the fuck am I supposed to press those button combinations with my right hand? If I'm pressing any of those buttons, then my thumb is going to be off the right joystick.
You can move your thumb off the stick. There should be plenty of time for the attack, performing a roll doesn't take much after all.

george_us

I'm definitely liking this game a lot better on the second play through. The lack of story elements bother me far less since it lets me get straight to the gameplay. It's only barely below GoW2 as my favorite and far above GoW3 and GoW1. Also I think the game could be better in terms of story if they simply had Linda Hunt narrate Kratos's actions like she did in the first two at times. That would of been perfect here.

AAK

So I just played the first section. My ranking of intro's:

GOW2>GOW:A>GOW3>GOW1>GOW:COU

That was awesome. So far I'm hooked. Can't wait to play more.

I'm enjoying this a lot more than GoW3 so far as well. Probably second best GoW next to GoW2...feels like it has the same adventure feel that GoW2 has with diverse locals. The production and story are a bit lacking, which are my main cons (outside of the bugs).

GoW3 has the edge on epic titan fights, but they're such a small part of the game while the rest just drags.

GoW:A's gameplay is superior, combat is more fun, there are better puzzles.

Boss fights are absolutely superior so far, too.

phierce

Okay...I just completed the game and got the platinum trophy (one playthrough on hard). Total time, 11:23:21 and maybe 20-30 minutes extra on chapter select to unlock "Lubed Up" and "Fireproof".

Let me start by saying I did enjoy the game...I enjoyed it a lot, actually. Howevever, I do think it under-delivered based on what I was expecting/personal hype level. I feel GOW3 is definitely a better game all around. If I had to rank the series, it would be GOW3>GOW:A>GOW2>GOW:GoS>GOW1>GOW:CoO. Also, this was by far the easiest platinum in the series (the above mentioned trophies were the only two I missed in the entire playthrough).

Also, to note, I did not really experience much of the sound issues most people have complained about. Sure, there were some, but definitely nothing too horrible. I felt the difficulty was nice, and probably the most difficult of the series (based on a Hard playthrough). The graphics are amazing, and it has more gore/blood compared to the rest of the series.

As I said, I enjoyed the hell out of the game, and I don't regret my day 1 purchase at all. I own every GoW game in the series. However, I don't feel the multiplayer is good enough to give me a reason to hold on to this game very long at the moment. The multiplayer is good and fun, but in the little time I've spent playing, I'm already level 16... The replay value is just not there, and I think I'm ahead by trading it in for $30+ now and re-purchasing later for my collection. I'll play the multiplayer a few more days and probably cap out, but ultimately, I'll be trading it in toward Bioshock: Infinite.

So, yeah, it's definitely worth playing, but to me, it was only worth $35 now and a re-purchase later.

Edit: Also, after reading lots of these horror stories about the trials, I was really expecting more. I actually one-shotted the deal. Dumb luck maybe, but it was a lot easier than I expected. Wave 1 was a bitch, but the rest was pretty much cake.

firen

I'm enjoying this a lot more than GoW3 so far as well. Probably second best GoW next to GoW2...feels like it has the same adventure feel that GoW2 has with diverse locals. The production and story are a bit lacking, which are my main cons (outside of the bugs).

GoW3 has the edge on epic titan fights, but they're such a small part of the game while the rest just drags.

GoW:A's gameplay is superior, combat is more fun, there are better puzzles.

Boss fights are absolutely superior so far, too.

I haven't beaten it yet but I *mostly* agree. I disagree about GOW3 dragging, I enjoyed most of the game. My main complaint, which is not even that big, is that the music feels so weak, muted and not as powerful as the previous iterations especially GOW3. Combat is quite fun so far. Just got my 3rd blade type but have yet to see the real differences between them, at least at base level.

unlock "Lubed Up"

Once you even die even once in that portion there is no way for you to get it right?

I think we're starting to see some more perspective on this game percolate through. It's not going to be the pinnacle of the series. But it's not a fucking 7/10, by any stretch of the incredibly fucked up games journalism industry.

Dark Sector, Goldeneye 007 Reloaded, Brink... these are games that have generally scored 7s. Does God of War Ascension really fucking keep company with these games? What the hell happened with the media response to this release?

phierce

Once you even die even once in that portion there is no way for you to get it right?
Correct. If you die, it's best just to finish the game, and chapter select after. If you die then, just quit and restart with chapter select. I died once during the main playthrough, and then stupidly fucked up on my first chapter select. So, it took me two chapter selects after I beat the game. Same song and dance for "Fireproof" too.

I think we're starting to see some more perspective on this game percolate through. It's not going to be the pinnacle of the series. But it's not a fucking 7/10, by any stretch of the incredibly fucked up games journalism industry.
I agree completely. The game is definitely better than a 7/10.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it, took ~11 hours on Hard. Overall had a blast with it, and my series rankings would go:

GoW2 > GoWA > GoW3 > GoW1. Haven't played the other two and I also want to replay 1 soon as a refresher, otherwise imagine a decent gap in between A and 3 as that game was a personal letdown overall.

For the trial part...I have no idea what they were thinking. You likely wouldn't hear a peep about it if they had checkpoints inbetween. It took me 4 or 5 tries, but none of them involved me dying on round 1 which made it a chore to go through. I atleast noticed a lot of potential to get juggled around hopelessly, and the second area is claustrophobic as fuck. Really weird design.

Personally, though, I had a harder time with a random fight earlier that had 3 of those elephants and a load of enemies wielding slings/shields. Kept getting way too aggressive and when I would try to throw the sling enemies Kratos instead grabbed the shield ones, leading me to a tap O prompt I couldn't get out of. Arg.

Overall the combat system changes were mixed for me. At its best, you feel incredibly powerful and it's fun as hell smacking enemies around with explosions and lighting strikes and souls flying everywhere. However they really should have given you more base combos to work with and having all new ones unlock as it rose if they intended on going that route. I also still have no idea how to actually get the weapon effects to work. Gold orbs for fire, green for soul, blue for lightning, big red orbs for ice...how in the fuck do they trigger? I used soul the most by far but I sure as hell had no clue how to get any health. I thought it would be tied to the L3 + R3 moves, but even when I used them they rarely actually killed even when I weakened an enemy.

Otherwise, I loved the rest. Felt much more like GoW2 in the sheer sense of variety of locales, easily the best puzzles in the series, and had some great boss battles. The last one looking fucking nuts.

Yeah, I may go for Platinum on this since the Devs were nice enough to not include any ridiculous MP trophies (Wtf Crystal Dynamics). Also being able to return to chapters to hit the missed trophies is nice

phierce

I also still have no idea how to actually get the weapon effects to work. Gold orbs for fire, green for soul, blue for lightning, big red orbs for ice...how in the fuck do they trigger?
Yeah, I have no clue either. I won't be spending the time to figure it out, but I am curious. I tried several times against weaker enemies, but still got no where with figuring this shit out.

Yeah, I may go for Platinum on this since the Devs were nice enough to not include any ridiculous MP trophies (Wtf Crystal Dynamics). Also being able to return to chBapters to hit the missed trophies is nice
You should...really simple platinum.

Triz

This is a perfect example of dont listen to reviews and play the games you like. There is way too much negativity in this thread for a great game.

madmackem

So how do you get your unlocks that you won in the god of war webpage thing, are they emailed to you or just show up in multiplayer?.

I also still have no idea how to actually get the weapon effects to work. Gold orbs for fire, green for soul, blue for lightning, big red orbs for ice...how in the fuck do they trigger?

You only get the different orbs when an enemy is killed by the specific element i.e. killing an enemy with a regular attack while using the fire element will not yield gold orbs; you have to actually burn them to death via one of the special attacks (L1+square/triangle).

Stupid design.

Rattles

Wow don't have time for the single player right now "waiting for sound patch" but the MP is fucking goood. Love the colour cues for what the opponent is doing, Feels like little games of rock paper scissors.

BadAss2961

For the trial part...I have no idea what they were thinking. You likely wouldn't hear a peep about it if they had checkpoints inbetween. It took me 4 or 5 tries, but none of them involved me dying on round 1 which made it a chore to go through. I atleast noticed a lot of potential to get juggled around hopelessly, and the second area is claustrophobic as fuck. Really weird design.
So how long does it take to get from checkpoint to checkpoint in the trial?

I love what i'm hearing about Ascension being comparable to GoW2 in variety of locales, btw.

rdrr gnr

Put in a few good hours today. Ended just as I entered the room for the
Trials
. Excited to see whether I feel the same as the reviewers -- but that will be tomorrow. Also, I have not upgraded anything yet. I've been hoarding upgrades like I do in every game. So which abilities are worth it? Hades and Zeus seem really cool -- I'm not sure about the actual items. Tips?

Papercuts

So how long does it take to get from checkpoint to checkpoint in the trial?

I love what i'm hearing about Ascension being comparable to GoW2 in variety of locales, btw.

There is no checkpoint, which is the issue people are having. Essentially there are 3 fairly long waves of enemies, but they don't come out in one battle. You kill off the first wave, pull at the elevator to raise it and fight the next combo of enemies, repeat. It is mindboggling why it resets to the start each time.

You only get the different orbs when an enemy is killed by the specific element i.e. killing an enemy with a regular attack while using the fire element will not yield gold orbs; you have to actually burn them to death via one of the special attacks (L1+square/triangle).

Stupid design.

This is what I thought, but the few times I tried using stuff like the fire attack it never even actually burn killed the enemy, lol. I noticed it trigger more off the fire magic by complete chance, and I don't think I ever had the small souls kill anyone.

BadAss2961

There is no checkpoint, which is the issue people are having. Essentially there are 3 fairly long waves of enemies, but they don't come out in one battle. You kill off the first wave, pull at the elevator to raise it and fight the next combo of enemies, repeat. It is mindboggling why it resets to the start each time.
I meant how long from start to finish. Just trying to get an idea of how much time you could end up putting into a failed attempt.

phierce

I meant how long from start to finish. Just trying to get an idea of how much time you could end up putting into a failed attempt.
15 minutes maybe? It's really not that bad. The first wave is a pain in the ass, the rest is pure patience. Don't get over-aggressive after wave 1 and you'll be fine.

Papercuts

Ah. Hard to say since I wasn't really looking at the time, but I imagine if you die on the third wave(which I stupidly did once) it would take a good 10 minutes to get back. Depends on the aggressiveness of approach, as a lot of people in the last page said to go defensive while I was basically all offensive and used magic as much as possible.

I kinda get the trials frustrations, but it really wasn't very hard. It took me three tries and I died at the Sub Zero ninja looking girls both times, once I got past them it was smooth sailing.

Almost every enemy you fight there drops magic with the grapple kill. So if you are struggling, make sure and make use of your magic. To add to that, definitely use the slow mo and clone skills too.

Time taken, probably 15 minutes max, on my third try I got pretty good at the first wave, that one is probably the most time consuming. At least they give you a gold trophy for your troubles lol

Bruiserk

whoa, DAT Gorgon you can interact with on the multiplayer map is super good.

Trials
. Excited to see whether I feel the same as the reviewers -- but that will be tomorrow. Also, I have not upgraded anything yet. I've been hoarding upgrades like I do in every game. So which abilities are worth it? Hades and Zeus seem really cool -- I'm not sure about the actual items. Tips?

Both items are really good for the trials. Especially the
Amulet of Uroborus

kuroshiki

Wow. I thought I would never see this kind of scene in God of war history.

So at the end,
Kratos actually treated Orkos with respect and dignity. He actually offered handshake first! So I guess even for a guy like Kratos can have a one who can be called 'friend'?!

This is what I thought, but the few times I tried using stuff like the fire attack it never even actually burn killed the enemy, lol. I noticed it trigger more off the fire magic by complete chance, and I don't think I ever had the small souls kill anyone.

When you kill an enemy with the fire, you'll know it because they get completely burned over and then die. The L1+square attack got me the best results. I didn't take the time to screw around with the other elements but I assumed they were the same. Maybe it's one attack for each element that nets orbs, or something?

phierce

Trials
I would upgrade both items for sure.
You can manage the trials with just those if you really had to.
As far as elements go, I felt lighting > fire > souls > ice.

Only on chapter 6 but man, I am absolutely loving the combat. It feels like the most satisfying in the series. Playing on hard and haven't had any issues with difficulty yet. Hope I get to the Trials before they patch it, looking forward to the challenge.

Haint

This is a perfect example of dont listen to reviews and play the games you like. There is way too much negativity in this thread for a great game.

The mix and sound problems are souring a lot of opinions. Game is supposed to be a spectacle set to epic, boisterous sweeping scores. The gameplay also sucks ass in a side by side with Rising and DmC. Graphics, set pieces, and scenarios are great though.

BadAss2961

15 minutes maybe? It's really not that bad. The first wave is a pain in the ass, the rest is pure patience. Don't get over-aggressive after wave 1 and you'll be fine.
Ah. Hard to say since I wasn't really looking at the time, but I imagine if you die on the third wave(which I stupidly did once) it would take a good 10 minutes to get back. Depends on the aggressiveness of approach, as a lot of people in the last page said to go defensive while I was basically all offensive and used magic as much as possible.
Thanks.

I think i'll enjoy it. Just remember the days when you'd have to start a whole game over again after using up a few continues. :p

Papercuts

When you kill an enemy with the fire, you'll know it because they get completely burned over and then die. The L1+square attack got me the best results. I didn't take the time to screw around with the other elements but I assumed they were the same. Maybe it's one attack for each element that nets orbs, or something?

This could be it, but it's still weird. I found soul to be the most useful by far, but never managed to see a special kill with it. I have seen the burning up one and electrocution, and ice magic can turn enemies frozen(though it didn't seem to set up for a way to shatter).

This could be it, but it's still weird. I found soul to be the most useful by far, but never managed to see a special kill with it. I have seen the burning up one and electrocution, and ice magic can turn enemies frozen(though it didn't seem to set up for a way to shatter).

You just keep hitting them to shatter them, you HAVE to shatter them to get the big red orbs.

Top Bottom