• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

sunnz

Maybe it’s the wonky framerate.......but the graphics honestly haven’t wow’d me yet.

Believe it or not I actually find Tomb Raider to be the better looking game. **runs**

I kinda understand ( but disagree) when someone says they think gears 3 is better looking than Uncharted...

but this... really?

Maybe it’s the wonky framerate.......but the graphics honestly haven’t wow’d me yet.

Believe it or not I actually find Tomb Raider to be the better looking game. **runs**

I'm sorry, but after having just replayed
riding the third snake to the tower of Delphi
and seeing all the environmental gorgeousness that was happening here, that statement is simply wrong.

Also, Tricky, I read your earlier impression where you found Kratos to be underpowered and the combat a chore. Which difficulty are you playing on? I felt the same way you do while playing hard, but switched to normal and it made all the difference.

I just got Hades enhancement and fully upgraded it

It says I get green orbs by vaporising enemies, but I havent gotten a single one in the handfull of fights afterwards

Am I colorblind or is vaporising something other then killing?

I'm sorry, but after having just replayed
riding the third snake to the tower of Delphi
and seeing all the environmental gorgeousness that was happening here, that statement is simply wrong.

You sure?

bAkPShe.jpg

Advice needed: I just got to Apollo's Ribs and have 25K red stuff.

Should I max out blades or max out purple power?

Or another element? I'm maxed out ice now and can't seam to get many ice kills.

People are getting really out of control with the hate of this game. (I know pot meet kettle right?). But honestly, aside from the non-block parry and crappy story, this is a really good GOW game. Once you realize you can't play it like other GOW games, it allows you to appreciate everything else about the game. Also I haven't experienced the sound issues people are talking about. GOWA has all the GOW staples really:

Epic Graphics: Check
Epic Boss Fights: Check
Epic moments: Check
Brutal Combat: Check
Tits: Check

At this point it's a matter of preference as far as which GOW game is better but this is certainly not a bad GOW game at all. IMO it has the best ending boss fight and the most fun puzzles of the entire series. Yes it has some stupid shit in it but doesn't every great game? Of course.

ironcreed

Banned
People are getting really out of control with the hate of this game. (I know pot meet kettle right?). But honestly, aside from the non-block parry and crappy story, this is a really good GOW game. Once you realize you can't play it like other GOW games, it allows you to appreciate everything else about the game. Also I haven't experienced the sound issues people are talking about. GOWA has all the GOW staples really:

At this point it's a matter of preference as far as which GOW game is better but this is certainly not a bad GOW game at all. IMO it has the best ending boss fight and the most fun puzzles of the entire series. Yes it has some stupid shit in it but doesn't every great game? Of course.

I still think it is a very good game, just not quite as strong as others in the series. Mainly due to some design issues and technical flaws underneath the top shelf presentation. But yes, your check list is still valid.

Derrick01

Banned

I disagree with the 2nd and 3rd points. Just having big enemies and some things collapsing doesn't automatically grant it epic moment status, or epic boss fight status.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Tomb raider is a not bad looking game. But compared to ascension? not a chance. It looks next gen a times. Its fucking insane.

I disagree with the 2nd and 3rd points. Just having big enemies and some things collapsing doesn't automatically grant it epic moment status, or epic boss fight status.

I've never seen anything like the first boss fight in a game before or the last boss fight. Those are certainly epic boss fights and there were certainly epic moments.

I still think it is a very good game, just not quite as strong as others in the series. Mainly due to some design issues and technical flaws underneath the top shelf presentation. But yes, your check list is still valid.

Yes I agree. There are certainly more flaws in this GOW than the other GOW games. I think that those flaws could have been overlooked if the story was more grounded and deeper. I just don't see why the didn't dig deep into Kratos pre-ashes since that would have been the most interesting part...

omonimo

Banned
I kinda understand ( but disagree) when someone says they think gears 3 is better looking than Uncharted...

but this... really?

Immagine.png

Yes, really.

I'm able to give even more captures very similar to this. Ascesion goes more down graphically compared GOW 3 'worst' moments, in different situations. The ground it's just horrible.

It's a good GoW game, but it's just not a great one. Kratos' combat is slower AND weaker, the sound design is ass, the story is seemingly non-existent, and the first half is on auto-pilot, the absolute low-point for the entire franchise on consoles. It makes even bumming around in Hades section of GoW3 seem varied and interesting. The enemy design is weaker, with seemingly every other battle being more goat men. The bosses are cool(well, what's there), but they repeat the Fury thing like three times, including the end(which looks visually impressive, but wasn't as engaging as Ares in GoW1 or Zeus in GoW2). Even the music doesn't stick with you like the old soundtracks(a big reason for that is there's much less music than other GoW games, for some reason).

It just feels like a step back in a lot of ways. Maybe SSM is bored with the GoW formula and need to do something else, IDK.

omonimo

Banned
lol youtube screen grab. Strong arguments ahoy.

Prove me I'm wrong, capture the same situation in a better definition, please. I will be very happy to be correct. I doubt the texture ground will improve magically, to be honest I suspect will worst even more. I have no problem to admit my errors.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Prove me I'm wrong, capture the same situation in a better definition, please. I will be very happy to be correct. I doubt the texture ground will improve magically, to be honest I suspect will worst even more.

It's not just that it's youtube. It's that it's one 10 second scene in an 8 hour game where the camera is showing a flat ground and not much else. Do you honestly think you couldn't find a screenshot of Tomb Raider that looks bad? Hey, look at the thing next to Laura's face in that screenshot. That looks like shit. It's just a rectangle with a blurry texture. What an ugly game!

Your logic is so profoundly stupid that no one should be arguing with you in the first place.

I've never seen anything like the first boss fight in a game before or the last boss fight. Those are certainly epic boss fights and there were certainly epic moments.

The first boss fight's climax looks unbelievable but is pretty awful in terms of gameplay. The last boss is stunning, but I was actually very disappointed to discover that Santa Monica had already spoiled it despite their constant assurances that they weren't spoiling everything. It also couldn't live up to my imagination (which was also a problem with GOW3) after hearing how impressed everyone was.

They were epic moments nonetheless, but both prioritize spectacle way over playability.

Ok, I MUST be missing every gorgon eye out there, but I seem to be finding all the phoenix feathers. Right now my HP is about the same as my MP, and I'm at the part where
Oracle just died
:( What am I doing wrong. Should I pull out a guide?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Help please. The battle on the conveyor belt where the flames are closing in on each side. Help!

That part took me a few tries. I didn't really solidify a strategy, though lightning magic helped. Do the enemies get hurt by the flames? If so, just R1 grab and O toss them into the fire over and over? If not, I don't know.

edit: beaten and confirmed.

Immagine.png

Yes, really.

I'm able to give even more captures very similar to this. Ascesion goes more down graphically compared GOW 3 'worst' moments, in different situations. The ground it's just horrible.
wtf. I just finished this part yesterday and remember it looking MUUCH better.
I especially remember the big gaping hole in Castor's body that's shimmering light off his entrails.

Prove me I'm wrong, capture the same situation in a better definition, please. I will be very happy to be correct. I doubt the texture ground will improve magically, to be honest I suspect will worst even more. I have no problem to admit my errors.

Nah, I'm good, man - none of us have taken the post seriously. Feel free to post actual screens of the game if you'd like to continue the discussion.

They were epic moments nonetheless, but both prioritize spectacle way over playability.

This is a viable criticism, though I'm not sure the super zoomed out moments with Chronos and Gaia were much different. That being said, those tended to be fairly limited whereas in ascension these form pretty key moments of the fight. I think SSM in future needs to create a better balance.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
wtf. I just finished this part yesterday and remember it looking MUUCH better.
I especially remember the big gaping hole in Castor's body that's shimmering light off his entrails.

Nope sorry it's a terrible looking game because of one camera angle and a flat ground texture.

Nah, I'm good, man - none of us have taken the post seriously. Feel free to post actual screens of the game if you'd like to continue the discussion.

This is a viable criticism, though I'm not sure the super zoomed out moments with Chronos and Gaia were much different. That being said, those tended to be fairly limited whereas in ascension these form pretty key moments of the fight. I think SSM in future needs to create a better balance.

For the first boss, it was the zoomed out-ness plus the shaking of the platform plus the many enemies plus the giant tooth-leg-spike-things everywhere. There's just no visibility or feedback about whether you're hitting things you want to hit. In GOW3, the zoomed out parts were a lot more legible, with fewer enemies and less wild camera movement, at least that's my memory. I'll play it again soon to compare.

omonimo

Banned

Wow. You are so tough, my ego is destroyed now. :\ I have just ask if it's possible to refute this screen, I will be very happy. This level it's quite horrible to see, even in different situation, from what I have seen.

Omg, who decided it was a good idea to put the camera back three football fields? I'm on the
snake rails part
and the camera is so far back that I cannot even tell where Kratos is facing

omonimo

Banned
lol yeah some people.

It is a magnificent looking game. I just stop and stare at the background and textures quite a few times. the temple of Oracle was beautifully made with very high textures.

Where I have said it's an horrible game graphically, out of my curiosity? I'm just saying in different situations the graphic goes more down compared GOW3, people seems like a children when you touch their toys.

rvy

Banned
Wow. You are so tough, my ego is destroyed now. :\ I have just ask if it's possible to refute this screen, I will be very happy. This level it's quite horrible to see, even in different situation, from what I have seen.

Have you even played the final version of the game?

Omg, who decided it was a good idea to put the camera back three football fields? I'm on the
snake rails part
and the camera is so far back that I cannot even tell where Kratos is facing
I can understand that it can get a little hairy in Titan Mode, but it didn't faze me at all. It's not like I have to clear the enemies to proceed. That part was SPECTACULAR. Better than anything I've played, including Kronos fight in GoW3.

omonimo

Banned
Have you even played the final version of the game?

If I said no, what could change? There is another person who has the game that said the same thing. Just prove me I'm wrong, I will be happy. That's all. I don't try to have the point of the discussion, it's just a question. I have seen different walkthrough where the game not convince me graphically.

If I said no, what could change? There is another person who has the game that said the same thing. Just prove me I'm wrong, I will be happy. That's all. I don't try to have the point of the discussion, it's just a question. I have seen different walkthrough where the game not convince me graphically.

Jesus... tell me you've played the game.

So you haven't played it.

rvy

Banned

If you said no, it would explain why you're using a YT screencap of a game still in development to prove a point.

Immagine.png

Yes, really.

I think there is a little texture pop-in in this game. I remember that part looking like that for a second and then changing to a crisper, but still crappy looking texture. Then the camera zooms out and it's not even noticeable.

It's an overall prettier but less polished game than GoW III.

Dude Abides

Banned
MP is quite fun, but it should be Spartans v. Athenians, not Trojans. Trojans weren't Greeks and there was an actual war between Sparta and Athens, whereas the Trojan war may just be a myth.

Top Bottom