• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

I'm already playing it on normal. : (

It's all about prioritizing filling the rage meter, which can be done through crowd control moves. Two really key moves - jump hammer (double jump, hold circle with the hammer), the tether throw (R1-triangle). Once it's filled, you'll do much more damage so just make sure to get clear of the crowd and control it from the periphery with your now suped up attacks.

Also, magic is pretty crucial in this game. It's worth chasing a fully upgraded lightning element for the magic. Super powerful.

I love it when people think they know how a game looks based on pics and gifs they see on the net. As someone who played both games I can't even find it in me to start a discussion.
People on this forum really need to drop that habit. Play the damn games to form a valid opinion or just let the people that have played them do it.

GoW ascension's graphics don't come down to a single texture neither can you prove the merits of TR's visuals by posting a single pic of Lara's face. What the hell?!

You can find a low quality texture or a low poly asset in any game. I can boot up any game right now on max settings and find a way to take a picture that will make it look like shit.

A game is made out of thousands of assets, watching people who haven't even played the game obsess over a single texture like it proves anything about the game's technical merits is maddening.

Where I have said it's an horrible game graphically, out of my curiosity? I'm just saying in different situations the graphic goes more down compared GOW3, people seems like a children when you touch their toys.
Where did I say you said it's a "horrible game graphically"? I played that part yesterday, and it DEFINITELY wasn't as bad as it looks in the screencap. It's a spectacular fucking game, especially the snakes on a train part. This is why I love God of War. the whole world is going apeshit and you're in the center of it. But I digress.

rvy

Banned
I love it when people think they know how a game looks based on pics and gifs they see on the net. As someone who played both games I can't even find it in me to start a discussion.
People on this forum really need to drop that habit. Play the damn games to form a valid opinion or just let the people that have played them do it.

GoW ascension's graphics don't come down to a single texture neither can you prove the merits of TR's visuals by posting a single pic of Lara's face. What the hell?!

You can find a low quality texture or a low poly asset in any game. I can boot up any game right now on max settings and find a way to take a picture that will make it look like shit.

A game is made out of thousands of assets, watching people who haven't even played the game obsess over a single texture like it proves anything about the game's technical merits is maddening.
Bless this post.

I love how you can actually see the details in the ash on Kratos much more clearly in Ascension. I think he might be single most impressive character model I've seen in terms of still visuals. Animation maybe not quite.

God-of-War-Ascension-Making-Of-1.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
This game is irritating me so much. I'm stuck on a puzzle, and I just hate the inconsistency of your toolset. Sometimes your time manipulation device can hold an object in a mid position, sometimes it can't, sometimes you have to be right next to it, sometimes you don't, sometimes doing any triggered thing will cancel it, sometimes it won't. This puzzle is bad just because I can't even see what I'm meant to be doing, which has been the hindrance before in this game. If you're going to control the camera movements at all times, if there's something above that I need to be manipulating, you better let me see it while I'm doing so.

This game is actively bad, all the other GoWs, great to good, this one, nope.

And I think Tomb Raider looks better.

omonimo

Banned
Jesus... tell me you've played the game.

I have played the demo. But wait, not counts, I have to buy it, there is no more hope. Basically to understand the graphic/gampelay of a game, we have to buy it at all cost. I have to spent my money at all cost, even if I would risk to be confirm my previous impressions. Even for the graphic, Internet is completely unfair. Come on, people. Really.
What difference does that make man?! He's seen youtubez!!! Won't look any different than on his 32 inch CRT tv. Lets be real!

Lol the level of fanboysm it's unreal sometimes.

protonion

The trial wasn't nearly as hard as I expected on normal. Made it on the first try.

Same here with maxed blades and fire. I didn't even come close to dying. WTF people! 2 and 3 had way worse parts.
I finished the game in 7:30 hours and died only in the platforming sections. Last boss was a piece of cake and that's a first for a gow game. Loved it overall and mp is fun! It's the best after 2 for me.

Just started playing the MP and they've really cleaned up the UI compared to the beta. I'm really liking it and had no idea there were cross game invites with parties. I know I'm gonna be playing this for awhile.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the motion blur in this is finally starting to hurt my eyes. I'm having a hard time keeping up with what's going on as I play my 2nd run on Hard.

I've been spamming this one move all game and I feel cheap but whatever.

X-X-Triangle (hold)

Facial rape for all big guys. Rinse and repeat.

Ricker

Anyone who says Ascension looks bad really need another hobby or some glasses or a better HDTV or whatever lol,the game is almost CG quality for crying out loud,just beautiful.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Tomb Raider is not even close. Give me a break here.

Which puzzle stumped so many of the reviewers? I actually found them quite logical and overall really good.

Was it the one right before the Trial? That one had me stumped for a minute.

Kurod

Banned
Ran into a few bugs that are rather upsetting. First one was while fighting the shades, goat bosses, and lightning ladies in the eyes of Apollo. I had cleared out everything except one shade. He just kept dive attacking me from underground and my R1 grab only bounced off him. I had to reset from the last checkpoint to fix this.

Another problem was while fighting the snake women and lightning ladies in the trial of Archimedes. I would parry the snake women to get the stone flash but every time I grabbed a snake woman she would start teleporting furiously around the room until the throw animation completed.

This game is irritating me so much. I'm stuck on a puzzle, and I just hate the inconsistency of your toolset. Sometimes your time manipulation device can hold an object in a mid position, sometimes it can't, sometimes you have to be right next to it, sometimes you don't, sometimes doing any triggered thing will cancel it, sometimes it won't. This puzzle is bad just because I can't even see what I'm meant to be doing, which has been the hindrance before in this game. If you're going to control the camera movements at all times, if there's something above that I need to be manipulating, you better let me see it while I'm doing so.

Kratos' head will glow green when there is a time manipulation spot nearby. Holding L2 will show you exactly where it is. The controller vibrates and an outline will appear when you're in range. The times where you can hold an object in between heal and decay are blatantly obvious.

Anything else you need help with?

zoukka

Anyone who says Ascension looks bad really need another hobby or some glasses or a better HDTV or whatever lol,the game is almost CG quality for crying out loud,just beautiful.

Not that I think this game looks bad, but things like motion blur look always bad to me no matter the game it's utilized in. There just literally is not any use for that effect in games at this moment. Same goes for non-locked framerate.

- More Multiplayer Things that need to be patched in-

1) LAN mode + ability to play custom matches.

This game, some modes have a max of 8 players, yet you cannot have a party over 4. Meaning if you had a group of 8 people and wanted to play 4v4s all night, you can't. Its basically all matchmaking or nothing... once these servers go offline, the multiplayer is gone forever, much like Resident Evil Outbreak. You can't even play it LAN.

Also of note, how can clans/friends arrange games between themselves in this game? They cannot.

2) View your end-game stats for the last game you played.

The only time you see your stats for a current game are when you are in the game pressing start, or at the end of the game for 5 seconds. After you go back to the lobby, there is no button to press to show you how you did in your last match. (Think Halo) This needs to be added so you can look as long as you want at the scoreboard instead of fast glancing it before its gone forever in 5 seconds.

3) Magic vs Physical Damage indicators?

For weapons select in the character lobby, under R1 inspection, weapon's special skills should say whether or not they do elemental damage or physical. I wanna know what im dealing.

4) HOST MIGRATION! AND LOST EXP!

IF the host leaves, allow people to get the exp they earned. And allow a host migration to unfold. As it stands now, if the host leaves... even sometimes after game ends, you get NOTHING. I had a game where a friend went 12-0 and was robbed :(

5) Disconnect at end of game error for parties!

Sometimes a game will end, and one person in a party will receive the message that they have been disconnected, and will not get exp rewards... however the OTHER party members will not get this message, and instead will get their exp.

Bout all I can think of now ;)

Which puzzle stumped so many of the reviewers? I actually found them quite logical and overall really good.

Well the one I was stuck on was the one right after the trial, where you had to get the gaze in the moon room to shine through. I believe they patched it before release to make it more concise... but I was stuck there for a good hour.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well the one I was stuck on was the one right after the trial, where you had to get the gaze in the moon room to shine through. I believe they patched it before release to make it more concise... but I was stuck there for a good hour.

Oh man, that's the only one where I looked at a walkthrough because I honestly wasn't sure if it even was a puzzle or what was supposed to be going on. It was also nearing 1:00 AM and I knew I was basically at the end and I wanted to finish.

I thought the rest of the puzzles were quite good, though, despite getting temporarily stumped a few times.

StuBurns

Banned
Kratos' head will glow green when there is a time manipulation spot nearby. Holding L2 will show you exactly where it is. The controller vibrates and an outline will appear when you're in range. The times where you can hold an object in between heal and decay are blatantly obvious.

Anything else you need help with?
I was never in doubt as to when and where I can use, just that is bad design that's it rules are puzzle dependent, not consistent.

Oh man, that's the only one where I looked at a walkthrough because I honestly wasn't sure if it even was a puzzle or what was supposed to be going on. It was also nearing 1:00 AM and I knew I was basically at the end and I wanted to finish.

I thought the rest of the puzzles were quite good, though, despite getting temporarily stumped a few times.

You don't know how desperately I wanted to look at a walkthrough... haha. I was even asking Adam Sessler on Twitter for help.

On another subject, this MP is really surprisingly fun! I want to play more. I really dig the free for all small battles in those tiny arena's, really intense. Any GAF's play regularly?

on chapter 10 and having fun. dem snakes , lol i died a lot for some reason during that part :( poor kratos

looked it up and i'm 1/3 done with the game

I have played the demo. But wait, not counts, I have to buy it, there is no more hope. Basically to understand the graphic/gampelay of a game, we have to buy it at all cost. I have to spent my money at all cost, even if I would risk to be confirm my previous impressions. Even for the graphic, Internet is completely unfair. Come on, people. Really.

This post pretty much confirms what I figured about your previous impressions. I'm impressed I was able to wade through this one. Also, you've already been proven wrong, I've played the actual game unlike you, it looks fantastic. You're wrong, are you satisfied now?

BadAss2961

GAF is all over the place.

Game is great! Better than GoW3! No, Game is terrible! I'm bored!

Best graphics ever! Not impressed, Tomb Raider looks better!

New combat is awesome! Kratos is weak, combat is terrible!

Epic boss battles! Nothing epic in this game!

Trials are easy! I've been stuck for hours!

Great soundtrack! There's music? There's sound?

WTF

damidu

trial is beyond stupid. in no way did the game prepared me for such punishing section.
after countless deaths i thought i managed it. (with a health bar so tiny, i was scared to run) then i find out that it was only first wave and there are two more.
fuck you ssm. patch this shit.

other than that i am loving the game quite a bit. puzzles particularly are definitely a high point for the series.

Blader

WTF

There's a lot of people on GAF.

WTF

I tend to see more hyperbole from the critics. There are definite issues with the game, but saying how this game is an affront to the series, or how it's not a God of War game is silly. I also think its a result of having expectations out of check. Returning to an intimate story with smaller (but in my opinion, better) boss battles is poison to people who only care about scale.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I'm playing the two back to back, and I like GoWA more so far. TR seems somehow unremarkable and forgettable to me so far. Tries to be serious but can't pull it off, so I find that it can't hold my attention a lot of the time, which in turn makes me feel compelled to nitpick every stupid thing about it. GoW at least knows what it is, it's crass and campy through and through.

Even graphics in TR, it looks like they were going for the "real" look, but didn't quite have texture and effects artists to pull it off. There's just a lot about the game that's not quite right, which compels me to nitpick. Like the plastic/metal looking cave interiors, or the crummy looking river where you get the bow. I'm early in both, but GoW has been a heck of a lot more impressive visually so far, and I say that while playing TR on PC at 1080p normal/high settings.

But there's rarely any middle ground with anything. Everything is either great or terrible. lol

Actually, the response to this game has been overall 'meh' both critically and on GAF. 7.9-8.0 metacritic score can't be considered terrible, it's just not up to the series standard.

I'd say the argument is whether the game is really great (my viewpoint) or just average good.

trial is beyond stupid. in no way did the game prepared me for such punishing section.
after countless deaths i thought i managed it. (with a health bar so tiny, i was scared to run) then i find out that it was only first wave and there are two more.
fuck you ssm. patch this shit.

other than that i am loving the game quite a bit. puzzles particularly are definitely a high point for the series.

Yea they are patching it. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least prepared you for it. But every fight previously always had a health/magic chest nearby (even multiple at times), so you always had a way out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoa, multiplayer is so much fun. I didn't care for the beta and I sucked at it but I'm doing pretty well here and everything seems to make much more sense. Love the RPG like character customization as well. Definitely unique and fun.

Sid

Game is great! Better than GoW3! The game is super fun

Best graphics ever! Tomb Raider lulz!

New combat is awesome! Yup!

Epic boss battles! Not many boss fights,opening and final bosses were epic though bar the autopilot garbage

Trials are easy! Fun!

Great soundtrack! It's really good but I hope they patch some of the issues soon

WTF
That's where I stand on this.

BadAss2961

Actually, the response to this game has been overall 'meh' both critically and on GAF. 7.9-8.0 metacritic score can't be considered terrible, it's just not up to the series standard.

I'd say the argument is whether the game is really great (my viewpoint) or just average good.
Critically it's been meh, but i've kept up with most of this thread, and the opinions range from best God of War to "it belongs on Vita."

So far, Ascension is looking to fit somewhere between GoW2 & GoW3 for me. It takes the best of those two games, but maybe not to the same heights that they did at the times of their release. Ascension feels much more like an adventure than GoW3, but not quite to the extent of GoW2. Ascension's level of violence, scale, and overall epicness is comparable to GoW3, maybe slightly less without Zeus, Hades, Hercules, Poseidon, Cronos, etc.

Sid

Critically it's been meh, but i've kept up with most of this thread, and the opinions range from best God of War to "it belongs on Vita."

So far, Ascension is looking to fit somewhere between GoW2 & GoW3 for me. It takes the best of those two games, but maybe not to the same heights that they did at the times of their release. Ascension feels much more like an adventure than GoW3, but not quite to the extent of GoW2. Ascension's level of violence, scale, and overall epicness is comparable to GoW3, maybe slightly less without Zeus, Hades, Hercules, Poseidon, Cronos, etc.
The epicness is less than GoW 3 and to make up the difference somewhat they should have let us play through the General Kratos era and those 3 blood deeds,Stheno should have been in the game too.

The epicness is less than GoW 3 and to make up the difference somewhat they should have let us play through the General Kratos era and those 3 blood deeds,Stheno should have been in the game too.

You want to murder his wife and daughter? I think it's wise to avoid that as an in game moment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There was literally no way to top the 'epicness' of GoW3, and frankly it would be a bad idea to try. The game was literally about killing the head honcho God and everyone who got in your way. In many ways 3 itself was actively harmful in trying to be epic, and disposed people like Hermes, Hera, and Helios with very little effort from Kratos, yet having enough time to give a random ice scorpion a full fledged battle. If they start from scratch and try to focus more on topping fights like Cronos, I will probably not be very interested in where the series heads.

I can get that some people wanted to see Kratos playable as a Spartan during the big battle, but the current way the game is structured works out smoothly. It all loops back to the intro and concludes from that segment, leading to a more cohesive adventure feel. I was initially worried hearing the game jumped around to flashbacks, but it didn't end up hard to follow at all. The story itself is fairly pointless, but Kratos' character arc already is damn near impossible to work with and make sense.

BadAss2961

Yup,that moment is one of the most pivotal in the series.
Agreed. I'm sure that's what most of us expected from Ascension when we heard it was a prequel. This is where they needed to go to have a story that felt really important to the series. Even the live action commercial suggests this.

I haven't finished the game yet, so i'll see where the story goes before talking any further on the subject. But i'm not expecting much.

Sid

Agreed. I'm sure that's what most of us expected from Ascension when we heard it was a prequel. This is where they needed to go to have a story that felt really important to the series. Even the live action commercial suggests this.

I haven't finished the game yet, so i'll see where the story goes before talking any further on the subject. But i'm not expecting much.
It's nothing compared to what an epic GoW prequel should have been,that battle where Kratos took the oath would have been epic,hell they make a whole game about breaking the bond yet don't show the genesis of it,resources were sacrificed for MP it seems and even that re uses tons of maps from GoW 3 which was a SP only game.

I agree, she should have been in the SP.

And the disappointing thing is that
they inserted her in the multiplayer.
http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Stheno
LOL WHAT! WTF

Top Bottom