• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

rdrr gnr

Well. I just lost several hours of gameplay.

I got hit by the chapter 13 bridge bug. Googled the problem and reset back to the beginning of the chapter. I then played normally all the way to
Apollo's Eyes
so about 4 hours of game time.

Getting a little bored so I decided to quit out to the main menu. Only to find that the game hadn't saved any of my fucking progress for the last FOUR hours. Chapter select only goes up to 13, if I hit continue I go straight back to the bridge bug on chapter 13.

I'm not replaying all that fucking game again. I'm done. Not to mention I don't think I could solve this unless I completely start the game over.

Seriously, what the fuck? Why wasn't the game saving!?
You aren't alone. I had this problem as did others in the thread. When you restarted Chapter 13, the game asked if you wanted to "Play with Auto Save" and you clicked no. If you click no and continue -- it will not save any of your progress, regardless of if whether or not you unlocked a chapter you did not have previously (which makes no sense). The mistake I made (and assume you made) is that you read "Play with Auto Save" as "Play with [YOUR] Auto Save" which at that point is bugged (from the bridge glitch). But, no, it is literally asking you whether or not you want to play with an integral feature as there are NO manual saves for whatever stupid reason. The entire chapter system is fucking archaic. So you don't need to start over. Just restart Chapter 13 and select yes for the auto save. Then skip all the cinematics (and you'll know how to solve the puzzles). You'll recover. Although this problem reeks of the lack of polish. It's unacceptable.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Yea I know. I honestly am not sure what they were thinking or if they really want to save that story for another time... but that's what I expected. Starting the game off as Kratos as a normal Spartan ect. in the great fight that you call upon Ares and become an insane beast, would have been amazing.

Then you bust into a house where these two demons attack you, go into this small boss encounter ends with you killing them brutally. After the battle Kratos looks down to see it was his wife and child. BOOM! I was expecting that...

Which would have fit in more with the Multiplayer and them being all traditional Spartans. Could have been some of the Spartans on your team (during the great war)...

Oh god please let this be in the next god of war. Would be incredible!

SSM take notes lol

Dr Dogg

Well just finished III and about to dive on in but judging by the talk in here in getting the feeling that Ascension is lacking a little polish. This could have some unexpected results.

You're almost done if you passed the Trial!

Yeah, I heard there were just a few more combat encounters, and I'm currently on the final boss!

Question: it looks like I will end up barely missing getting the fully loaded trophy (fully upgrade all of Kratos' abilities).

How exactly do you ensure to get extra red orbs from enemies with Poseidon magic? Once I upgraded that magic fully, I used its R2 magic to freeze enemies then broke them with normal attacks. Is that the proper way?

phierce

How exactly do you ensure to get extra red orbs from enemies with Poseidon magic? Once I upgraded that magic fully, I used its R2 magic to freeze enemies then broke them with normal attacks. Is that the proper way?
I never actually figured this out on my own, but I think the general consensus in this thread is the enemies must die by the elements' unlocked ability...ie: L1 + square/triangle or R2

In your example, the enemies must shatter after being frozen.

I could be completely wrong though...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think the combat in this game is very fun. The rage meter just isn't a good idea. I liked GoW combat when it was press a few buttons -> awesome happens. Now I am playing so conservatively so I don't lose my rage...square square triangle roll square square triangle roll. Aggressive gangbang enemies are hitting me often and I am stuck to like a three move combo. I've never felt more limited. I don't like this.

rdrr gnr

I don't think the combat in this game is very fun. The rage meter just isn't a good idea. I liked GoW combat when it was press a few buttons -> awesome happens. Now I am playing so conservatively so I don't lose my rage...square square triangle roll square square triangle roll. Aggressive gangbang enemies are hitting me often and I am stuck to like a three move combo. I've never felt more limited. I don't like this.
Use the grapple throw as crowd control. Triangle spamming while raged is good, but I usually just used the ability for any given power.

The rage meter actually only unlocks one (edit: two) attack.

And in all the other God of War games I had to roll and dodge a lot too. Actually, I was able to perform better in combat in this game than in the other GoW games, once I got the hang of it.

phierce

The amulet and oath stone should be your best friends. They can completely trivialize many encounters. Couple those with normal roll/block + combos/abilities and you're golden.

Y2Kev

And in all the other God of War games I had to roll and dodge a lot too. Actually, I was able to perform better in combat in this game than in the other GoW games, once I got the hang of it.

It's probably that + the L1 attacks being divided up by the elements.

and it definitely hides more than one...you can't even combo off triangle without rage.

Derrick01

Banned

I have a bigger problem with most of the normal filler enemies not responding to your attacks than the rage meter locking out some moves. Because when they don't respond to your attacks that makes you play defense far more than offense in most battles and it makes you get hit far more often which only makes the rage meter issue worse.

Y2Kev

Also, stop panning over the fucking environment so much. I don't need a slow motion pan over the path I am ABOUT TO WALK DOWN

I love how you can actually see the details in the ash on Kratos much more clearly in Ascension. I think he might be single most impressive character model I've seen in terms of still visuals. Animation maybe not quite.

His double jump looks almost comedic; like Kratos is being yanked upwards by some invisible wires.

Man fuck, maybe I just suck (a real possibility), but the enemies seem to be annoyingly hard and not fun to fight. Those fucking goat men with their blocking and attack-lunge-attack are irritating as fuck. And those elephant men....:/

Y2Kev

Hmm...I think I got hit with a bug. I was using the amulet and the green blur effect stayed on the screen for like way too long. It was making me nauseous...luckily it just flickered once or twice and then went off.

StuBurns

Banned
Also, stop panning over the fucking environment so much. I don't need a slow motion pan over the path I am ABOUT TO WALK DOWN
They do that in some really strange situations. At one point they do it down a tub that you're literally about to jump into, and you've had to actively open it, so you knew where you were going. There's a room in one of the
present day
sections where they show the door when you enter, and when you've finished the puzzle and are about to leave, and it's not like there are any other doors, you can't go anywhere else. Really irritating stuff.

EDIT: The encounter mentioned below really had my game running crap, the only time in the game it really felt way taxed, which is odd because it doesn't seem like that much is happening.

Manus

Screw this furnace fight with fire on both sides. I can't even roll to dodge the attacks because the area is so small. God forbid they toss 10 goats at a time at you which just keep on respawning.

Y2Kev

It's like complaint fest tonight, I know, but the AA solution is too aggressive. I feel major blur.

It's probably that + the L1 attacks being divided up by the elements.

and it definitely hides more than one...you can't even combo off triangle without rage.

Yeah, it's just the two triangle combo attacks. I edited my comment before you posted.

Honestly, after having just played through God of War 1 (and it's been a while since I played GoW III), it doesn't feel like the rage meter "splits" up Kratos' moveset or options. It feels like an addition to me. I've always had to play on the defensive side, blocking and dodging enemies' attacks lest I get gang-banged. With the rage meter, you become ultra powerful (those triangle combos that I never used in the old games become way more powerful than they did in the past games).

And enemies didn't react to every hit in the older games, either.

Y2Kev

Just for curiosity sake, did you like God of War 3 Y2Kev?

How does this compare for you?

gow 3 is a 9.5/10 for me. maybe higher. stunningly beautiful, greatly refined combat, AMAZING score, fantastic boss battles...it just peters out in the climax IMO.

I am posting in the thread during panovers btw. every time it pans over an environment i make a post. i just un-decayed the waterwheel in the cistern and got two panovers.

Vire

gow 3 is a 9.5/10 for me

I am posting in the thread during panovers btw. every time it pans over an environment i make a post. i just un-decayed the waterwheel in the cistern and got two panovers.

:lol

That's a shame though, because I really really love GOW3. So I trust your opinion.

I just recently played God of War 2 again because I keep seeing some people on GAF talk about it in such a positive light so I thought I'd give it a go one more time.

I still think God of War 3 is a better game. It just nails the whole dark Greek Mythology aesthetic to a tee. I think it pays the most attention to actually replicating the feel of greek mythology better than any in the series. Seeing Hades and the Underworld finally done justice, was just awesome. (Especially after the poor representation in prior games). It also features the some of the most epic moments out of any video game period.

The last time I really got the feeling of scale that GOW3 gave me was Shadow of The Colossus. So yeah...

Y2Kev

Anybody see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GZISb3pzA

Seems SSM made some performance improvements right up to the wire. This is a framerate comparison demo done by DF. First demo released versus final build. Nice to see that the framerate is pretty solid.

They're a victim of their own success here. They should just lock it. The judder is very noticeable even though the framerate is better at all times than 99% of games released these days!

GoW3 is actually a better game than GoW2, but GoW2 gets a lot of points from me for sheer environmental variety.

edt: another panover

I'm currently replaying the entire God of War trilogy on PS3 as part of my God of War marathon. Originally, I had intended to do this as part of my lead up to Ascension, but then two things happened:

a) I might be suffering from franchise fatigue. I'm currently at Olympia in God of War III, and I just can't bring myself to play the game anymore.

b) Apparently Ascension is the worst game of the series. The reviews seem to be mixed at best. Two of my friends, who are hardcore God of War fans, were let down by the game.

Given the two points above, do you advise that I go ahead and play Ascension after I am done with God of War III anyway? Conversely I could wait for a while for the fatigue to wear off.

edt: another panover

lol, panovers. A God of War tradition.

*Kratos enters room*

*camera pans to key on floor*

*camera pans to door*

Gee, I wonder what I'm supposed ta do!

b) Apparently Ascension is the worst game of the series. The reviews seem to be mixed at best. Two of my friends, who are hardcore God of War fans, were let down by the game.

Given the two points above, do you advise that I go ahead and play Ascension after I am done with God of War III anyway? Conversely I could wait for a while for the fatigue to wear off.

Like I've been saying in this thread, I had a blast playing it, and several agree:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50221197&highlight=#post50221197

I'm currently replaying the entire God of War trilogy on PS3 as part of my God of War marathon. Originally, I had intended to do this as part of my lead up to Ascension, but then two things happened:

a) I might be suffering from franchise fatigue. I'm currently at Olympia in God of War III, and I just can't bring myself to play the game anymore.

I would stop replaying III and just go straight into Ascension. So far it's not as good as III, but is still good, but the problem is that a series like GoW is really, really easy to get fatigued from. That's why I have never bothered to buy the HD Collections or replay the series before a new one. If you only play a new one once every few years you don't run into that fatigue.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
- More Multiplayer Things that need to be patched in-

1) LAN mode + ability to play custom matches.

This game, some modes have a max of 8 players, yet you cannot have a party over 4. Meaning if you had a group of 8 people and wanted to play 4v4s all night, you can't. Its basically all matchmaking or nothing... once these servers go offline, the multiplayer is gone forever, much like Resident Evil Outbreak. You can't even play it LAN.

Also of note, how can clans/friends arrange games between themselves in this game? They cannot.

2) View your end-game stats for the last game you played.

The only time you see your stats for a current game are when you are in the game pressing start, or at the end of the game for 5 seconds. After you go back to the lobby, there is no button to press to show you how you did in your last match. (Think Halo) This needs to be added so you can look as long as you want at the scoreboard instead of fast glancing it before its gone forever in 5 seconds.

3) Magic vs Physical Damage indicators?

For weapons select in the character lobby, under R1 inspection, weapon's special skills should say whether or not they do elemental damage or physical. I wanna know what im dealing.

4) HOST MIGRATION! AND LOST EXP!

IF the host leaves, allow people to get the exp they earned. And allow a host migration to unfold. As it stands now, if the host leaves... even sometimes after game ends, you get NOTHING. I had a game where a friend went 12-0 and was robbed :(

5) Disconnect at end of game error for parties!

Sometimes a game will end, and one person in a party will receive the message that they have been disconnected, and will not get exp rewards... however the OTHER party members will not get this message, and instead will get their exp.

Bout all I can think of now ;)

I'd like them to change the matchmaking, a friend and i spend 5 to 10 minutes waiting to get into our first match yesterday. We had 7 people and t was waiting for an 8th and people kept dropping. I don't care if it's 3v4 or 2v3 at the start and people can join in midway to make things even. It's better than waiting for so long.

The multiplayer is so much fun, i can't think of anything quite like it.

Y2Kev

I don't think I'd ever marathon anything. It just doesn't stay fresh.

(posting during panover)

I would stop replaying III and just go straight into Ascension. So far it's not as good as III, but is still good, but the problem is that a series like GoW is really, really easy to get fatigued from. That's why I have never bothered to buy the HD Collections or replay the series before a new one. If you only play a new one once every few years you don't run into that fatigue.

Yeah, this is the first time since like 2009 that I'm replaying them. I really love God of War (still count the first one as among my favorite games of all time, though this replay illustrates just how poorly it aged, and just how much superior God of War II is in every possible way), but owing to the lack of depth in the series mechanics, it is an easy series to get franchise fatigue for.

I guess I'll stop a week, not play either III or Ascension, and then jump right into Ascension. Hopefully I can still enjoy it!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Now that I'm 80% through my second playthrough, my problem isn't so much the rage meter (as I'm a lot better now at avoiding attacks), but rather how many hits even basic grunts seem to take. If there was ever the beat 'em up equivalent of bullet sponge syndrome, this game has it. The fact that enemies take so long to die makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong or fighting inefficiently. I'm asking myself "are you sure there isn't some elemental weakness you're not exploiting?"

GOW games are hard to marathon. I despise replaying most of the puzzles. Luckily they only require 1-2 playthroughs to Platinum.

Praise the lord there weren't any challenge rooms. Fucking hate those.

Y2Kev

While I wait for this panover to end, I will say I love the puzzles in the game. Lots of em, and they are better than Tomb Raider. So is the platforming. How sad is that?

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh the trials on hard are almost impossible for me, mostly because of the first part. Might have to put this down until this patch comes.

While I wait for this panover to end, I will say I love the puzzles in the game. Lots of em, and they are better than Tomb Raider. So is the platforming. How sad is that?

Ha I said the same thing. It's pretty pathetic, although kudos for SSM for putting some half decent puzzles and platforming in this game when it's not really expected from the franchise.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
that's your opinion, that by the way, i do not agree with, GOW games platforming is bad, you can tell that platforming and double jumping are still using the animation assets from the ps2 games, crazy, don't believe me? go watch some GOW2 and go back to ascension

Loudninja

that's your opinion, that by the way, i do not agree with, GOW games platforming is bad, you can tell that platforming and double jumping are still using the animation assets from the ps2 games, crazy, don't believe me? go watch some GOW2 and go back to ascension
Really what is with you in and Ps2 jumping nonsense?

Noi

It was pretty amusing seeing Kratos
do the exact same finisher animations on the chimera here
which he does in 3. Same with the Cyclops's general attacks.

Top Bottom