• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

ironcreed

Banned
Trial is kicking my ass. Got to the second part, but did not have enough health left for shit and the flames got me. I'll beat it, but it's pissing me off right now, lol. Will try again tonight.

SoulClap

Oh, and this game gets points from me for not making us go to hades again.

That's a relief. Does it still have those stupid rope and wall climbing sections where you have to fight off waves of enemies?

Or making us:

1) Clmb walls with the blades
2) Fight enemies while hanging from ropes
3) Tightrope-walk, tightplank-walk

Thank you, SSM.

NM. I'm tempted to pick up Ascension now.

hawk2025

That's a relief. Does it still have those stupid rope and wall climbing sections where you have to fight off waves of enemies?

Nope!!

I see that you already saw the post above, so I'll just add this: The game has essentially "replaced" those with a few "sliding down a slippery surface while dodging stuff" segments, which I actually thought were quite fun, especially the last one. They usually don't last very long and are not frustrating, so it's a welcome addition IMO.

This is how I beat the Trial. The only time I would die is if I got caught in the eye beams but that was out of my stupidity for not looking away quick enough.

I have maxed out Purple blades and maxed Uroborus

Stage 1: Freeze one Medusa thing with Uroborus. Double jump towards other one and hold Triangle over her head. Land, double jump hold Triangle. Keep freezing one and double-jumping in the other ones face and holding Triangle to do the air summesault of death. Focus on one at a time to get them out of there ASAP. Each Medusa only takes 4 or 5 of these double-jump-hold-Triangle things to get the red finisher above their head.

When electric bitches come: MAGIC. I don't fuck with them. I hate them. Magic the shit out of them.

Stage 2: You can block the Avatar girls' attacks. Don't waste your time. MAGIC MAGIC. I don't fuck with them either. Magic the shit out of them. Hades arms come up from hell and do the work.

Big guy with hammer: Walk right up to his face. Double-jump-hold Triangle. Land, double jump hold triangle. That was easy.

Stage 3: Horse man: Walk right up to his face. Double jump hold Triangle. Land, double jump bold triangle. Are you seeing the pattern?

Purple people: Use whatever magic you have left and rope and triangle. Rope and triangle.

ironcreed

Banned
This is how I beat the Trial. The only time I would die is if I got caught in the eye beams but that was out of my stupidity for not looking away quick enough.

Stage 1: Freeze one Medusa thing with Uroborus. Double jump towards other one and hold Triangle over her head. Land, double jump hold Triangle. Keep freezing one and double-jumping in the other ones face and holding Triangle to do the air summesault of death. Focus on one at a time to get them out of there ASAP. Each Medusa only takes 4 or 5 of these double-jump-hold-Triangle things to get the red finisher above their head.

When electric bitches come: MAGIC. I don't fuck with them. I hate them. Magic the shit out of them.

Stage 2: You can block the Avatar girls' attacks. Don't waste your time. MAGIC MAGIC. I don't fuck with them either. Magic the shit out of them. Hades arms come up from hell and do the work.

Big guy with hammer: Walk right up to his face. Double-jump-hold Triangle. Land, double jump hold triangle. That was easy.

Stage 3: Horse man: Walk right up to his face. Double jump hold Triangle. Land, double jump bold triangle. Are you seeing the pattern?

Purple people: Use whatever magic you have left and rope and triangle. Rope and triangle.

LOL, making it sound like cake. I might try this method.

the game is growing on me, I am liking it better.

The intro was ubber weak and destabilizing, I am glad i gave it a chance but sticking to it.

but I am not convinced with the elemental power ups and magic and rage bar

Question for those that have beat the game:

I just got to the
the completion of Apollo's statue after the furnace section
and have been saving my orbs for the Trials (don't know whether its worth it to spend them on the blades upgrade which costs 25K or maxing out other stuff.

How much longer do I have until the trials, and the rest of the game in general?

Also, what magic works best during Trials?

Question for those that have beat the game:

I just got to the
the completion of Apollo's statue after the furnace section
and have been saving my orbs for the Trials (don't know whether its worth it to spend them on the blades upgrade which costs 25K or maxing out other stuff.

How much longer do I have until the trials, and the rest of the game in general?

Also, what magic works best during Trials?

You are VERY close. Do you have any magic maxed out?

My advise would be to max out a magic first (preferably Hades) which will only cost you 10K and then do blades when you get the 25K. You start to early orbs really fast and Hades gives you red orbs.

You are VERY close. Do you have any magic maxed out?

My advise would be to max out a magic first (preferably Hades) which will only cost you 10K and then do blades when you get the 25K. You start to early orbs really fast and Hades gives you red orbs.

I have Ares maxed out, I have the blades nearly maxed out (but the upgrade costs 25K...), I maxed out the Uroburus, nothing much more than that. Should I max out the Orkos Stone?

I think my red orbs are around 28K, so I may be in a bind where I have to choose

Unfortunately early in the game I didn't make use of the stone to repair red chests, and I think I missed out on a significant amount.

Embrace Ares.

I used full powered Hades and Zeus for a long time, then came back to Ares a few chapters before. It makes it easier. Just remember to block.

Yep. That worked. Slept on it over night and finished it on a 3rd try this morning. The game was completed just after 12pm. Good final boss battle.

My online code works, but the PlayStation All-stars code does not. Has anyone experienced that?

Edit:

One really quick thing about the non-controversial controversy battle that earned the trophy change,
was SSM messing with everyone by putting an analog prompt in that fight? not once before did you every face a Gorgon (I'd always called them serpents beforehand) and use any analog prompts, and then out of nowhere here one and only one. Weird.

I have Ares maxed out, I have the blades nearly maxed out (but the upgrade costs 25K...), I maxed out the Uroburus, nothing much more than that. Should I max out the Orkos Stone?

I think my red orbs are around 28K, so I may be in a bind where I have to choose

Unfortunately early in the game I didn't make use of the stone to repair red chests, and I think I missed out on a significant amount.

Upgrade blades and roll with Ares until you reach about 10K in orbs then put them into hades blades

*EDIT. If anyone's on the fence about buying this game or doesn't wanna spend the $60, I just threw my copy up in the BST. $45 shipped.

Ghazi

Yep. That worked. Slept on it over night and finished it on a 3rd try this morning. The game was completed just after 12pm. Good final boss battle.

My online code works, but the PlayStation All-stars code does not. Has anyone experienced that?

The code doesn't work until the 20th, when the PSASBR content is added to the store.

Dead

well not really...yet
What the fuck. I just fought the manticore and the minigame prompt on the right hand side of the screen wont go away, even after quitting and reloading.

Spinluck

What the fuck. I just fought the manticore and the minigame prompt on the right hand side of the screen wont go away, even after quitting and reloading.

I had a really bad camera glitch that wouldn't go away.

Even after restarting my PS3. Try restarting the chapter.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished there now (on normal) and I thoroughly enjoyed that. I guess I wasn't as fed up with the formula as I thought I was :p However I definitely see that as the end of 'completing' Kratos story. I've not played the 2 PSP games (or at least only played a part of one before my PSP went bust) but 4 main games for Kratos story seems pretty damn decent to me.

I was surprised at how they toned down Kratos a bit/tried to make him a bit more likeable. Not in how he killed things but just not killing innocents/everyone else in his way. I actually missed his angriness from 3 as I found that hilarious. I guess it's understandable as it's not the end of the story but I always loved how extreme Kratos was in 3 and how everyone and everything was just something to use. It didn't make him very likeable but damn if it didn't make me laugh a lot.

Enjoyed the combat very much so as well, I'll be honest at parts it was kicking my ass like the Trials.... but I liked that it forced me to think a bit about what to do/use. Soon got the hang of it. I definitely agree about the final setpiece as well, absolutely awesome and a fantastic way to end the game.

Not tried the multiplayer and won't be able to. Since it was a rental it's just cut off with no trials or anything. Maybe if there's a full 'collection' of all the games going cheap I'll pick them all up sometime.

What surprised me is that I tried God Of War HD afterwards (Free PS+ dl) and whilst obviously looking like a PS2 game in HD I was impressed with how smooth it was and fluid and how good the animations etc look even now. I guess 60fps is a big part of that as well.

ironcreed

Banned

Have had all sorts of bugs like that. For instance, sometimes the Stone of Uroboros has a 'green' effect like the mist from the Temple of Delphi on the entire screen and will not go away for awhile and the Stone of Orkos double sometimes freezes in place and will not go away.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Having a lot of trouble getting into MP games right now. Either someone leaves the lobby right when the start timer hits zero or it can't connect to matchmaking. Sucks because I was having a surprising amount of fun with it.

Have had all sorts of bugs like that. For instance, sometimes the Stone of Uroboros has a 'green' effect like the mist from the Temple of Delphi on the entire screen and will not go away for awhile and the Stone of Orkos double sometimes freezes in place and will not go away.

I have noticed a lot of those kind of bugs that seem out of place coming from the normally super polished SSSM

Darknight

He only escaped once. All the stuff at the prison is one time period, with flashbacks interspersed. He cut off Maegra's arm when he fought her two weeks before. He's never taken back, that was the him getting captured and imprisoned. The story is told out of order because of the flashbacks. The chronological order is Kirra, Delphi, one week gap, Apollo statue, two week gap, Prision

Nope

Thank you sir. I was a little confused but that makes sense. Anyways looking back, this game is warming up on me. Never disliked it but damn I loved the antagonists. Bad ass ladies fighting Kratos.

The only major draw back that I can say is the audio glitching out every now and then. Plus some random bugs here and there. This game is a good game and I am happy SSM did it and its up there with the trilogy. Only gripe I still have is they caved in on the bullshit trophy change.

I hope that GOW as an IP comes back in the future. Kratos is bad ass. I love it. Its great to take out some anger on these virtual characters as life in real life can be frustrating at times. Every one that complains should just avoid such a game just like people dislike the numerous COD games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I have noticed a lot of those kind of bugs that seem out of place coming from the normally super polished SSSM

Yup. Inexplicable collision failures on the parry, animation glitches where the QTE finisher plays out on the enemy but Kratos is still freely controllable, the clone just stopping and standing there. And that's just during the shitty trials section. I also feel like the game is constantly missing inputs, like when I try to do L2+square and then L2+triangle there's sometimes a ridiculous delay before the second input registers.

Carnby

I'll give this a try.

I'm at the Oracle of Delphi and not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do.
There's 2 chicks holding a huge hourglass, I can get up to the top area and jump on the hourglass and it makes the floor lower, but when I go down there and the floor raises again. I got my way into the back area and there's some gas that freezes everything, but then that doesn't seem to lead anywhere. I noticed that it allowed me to get back to the area where I fought the 2 huge guys with hammers, but there's nothing down there for me to do.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And there's my platinum, number 20 too. Anyone know what this game's going for in trade in value? lol

I don't think I'll want to play this game again years later like I do with 3 right now.

It made me pop in Ghost of Sparta. It's kinda funny...GoS was really heavily praised when it came out, and it is quite a bit of fun, but GoW:A is still much better. I think we have really high standards for this franchise. But I guess that is to be expected when GoW2 was a 10/10 A+++++ game.

Yeah, I think the scope of this project was bigger than any they had tackled previously and maybe they just didn't have time. I bet Sony wanted this out before PS4 hype started getting going. They're probably pissed about TLoU still being outstanding!

Noi

I'm at the Oracle of Delphi and not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do.
There's 2 chicks holding a huge hourglass, I can get up to the top area and jump on the hourglass and it makes the floor lower, but when I go down there and the floor raises again. I got my way into the back area and there's some gas that freezes everything, but then that doesn't seem to lead anywhere. I noticed that it allowed me to get back to the area where I fought the 2 huge guys with hammers, but there's nothing down there for me to do.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Hint:
There is something in the area with the 2 huge guys with hammers that you can drag up to the upper floor using the corruption gas. Notice what changes in the room when you touch the gas.

Answer:
Use the gas to take the statue you used to climb the ladder up to the second floor. Drag it all the way to the room with the giant hourglass.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It made me pop in Ghost of Sparta. It's kinda funny...GoS was really heavily praised when it came out, and it is quite a bit of fun, but GoW:A is still much better. I think we have really high standards for this franchise. But I guess that is to be expected when GoW2 was a 10/10 A+++++ game.

GoS is still my fave. I don't like GoW2 as much as most people do. It just didn't click with me as much as the later entries.

My rankings currently are:
GoS>GoWIII>GoWII=GoW:A>>>GoW1>>CoO

Considering that my main complaints with Ascension are all being patched, I'm pretty sure it'll overtake II once that happens. Need to replay it a few more times to say for sure and I'm waiting for the patch.

At the trials...

Man, these magic bitches in round 1 are really fucking my world up. Even when I'm spamming magic against them, they manage to somehow deplete a large portion of my health, which screws me for the next few rounds.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
At the trials...

Man, these magic bitches in round 1 are really fucking my world up. Even when I'm spamming magic against them, they manage to somehow deplete a large portion of my health, which screws me for the next few rounds.

Use the Amulet of Uroboros and the Oathstone as often as you can, combined with spamming magic. Those help a lot with crowd control.

I also found that the lightning magic tended to work the best in round 1.

Use the Amulet of Uroboros and the Oathstone as often as you can, combined with spamming magic. Those help a lot with crowd control.

I also found that the lightning magic tended to work the best in round 1.

Magic works well in round 2, just because those Avatar girls take forever to go down if you don't have magic.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't like the PSP games like everyone else seems to, or just GoS at least. I mean they're ok and certainly not bad but I don't feel like they nail what makes god of war great like the first 3 did. Ascension is kind of like that too but to a lesser degree with its lack of memorable scenes and fights.

Hint:
There is something in the area with the 2 huge guys with hammers that you can drag up to the upper floor using the corruption gas. Notice what changes in the room when you touch the gas.

Answer:
Use the gas to take the statue you used to climb the ladder up to the second floor. Drag it all the way to the room with the giant hourglass.

Thanks. Made it out and to the next area, then my PS3 froze at the next boss fight. Guess I'll call it quits for a while, lol.

Carnby

Follow this man's advice!!!!

After struggling with passing the first phase of the trials, I tried Victory's advice and beat it on my first try. Thanks for your help!

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but use the kill animation on the ninja woman in phase 2. They give you green orbs if you do this.

Blah, made it to the Trials on hard. Orkos fucking glitched on me in the second wave. Just stood there like an asshole. The first round really is a piece of shit. The lighting chicks are unbalanced. Why do they take longer to kill than the Medusa's?

It really does. That one scene where Kratos fights with that dragon lady and grabs that thing from her chest really looked like some CG.

Thats the level I just beat and made me think that. Especially the section against all three "hoes".

I think my favourite thing about this series, besides the crazy scale, is the 1 on 1 fights vs the not so huge enemies (relatively). Like vs the Elephant, cyclops/Hercules/etc especially in a nicely lit room. You really get an appreciation for the character design and animation. Its great.

SpokkX

Just replayed gow3 and loved it

Almost at the trials in gow:a

Really disappointed, my main gripes:

- the enemies are damage spunges. Not hard but every enemy takes about 3 times the damage compared to old gow games. I HATE artificially prolonged stuff

- The new climbing is like an interactive cutscene ala uncharted but just really badly done. There is zero skill and usually only one way to go so just mashing jump and holding the stick works 99% of the time. The old climbing wasn't amazing but it was at least some form of gameplay instead of boring cutscenes. Worthless addition, hope they remove it for the next gow

- recycled enemies and only a handful of new/reskinned ones make this feel like an expansion pack

Top Bottom