• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Just completed trials...not too bad honestly once you have a gameplan and can manage crowd control, that's basically all the battle is...I think the God of War series has seen worse.

How much further do I have until the game is over?

Darknight

The avatar girls also gave me health, so I have no idea why people found this hard.

Yup, they are actually moving "health chest" because I killed them and ran my health to like 50%. When I got to them I was like "hell no" with less than 1/4 my health. But being carefully, using your Dark Kratos + Slow mo, helps here. Along with spamming magic. This shit is doable but people have to use all available weapons/magic else they will keep dying.

Dead

well not really...yet
These puzzles are fucking awful. I healed the water wheel so I can pull the lever and now no matter where I am on the map im not getting any prompt whatsoever to decay the wheel again.

Edit: got it. Fucking awful.

These puzzles are fucking awful. I healed the water wheel so I can pull the lever and now no matter where I am on the map im not getting any prompt whatsoever to decay the wheel again.

Edit: got it. Fucking awful.

Yeah, there are only those two points where you can use the power. They should of kept it like it was in the demo and show the highlighted marked points to stand to use the ability.

Dantis

So I'm on Delos or whatever it's called. Definitely my favourite game in the series since GoW 1, really enjoying it.

I feel like it feels a bit closer to GoW 1 in terms of design too. Has a bit more of a mythological feeling, and moves away from the terrible storylines.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just completed trials...not too bad honestly once you have a gameplan and can manage crowd control, that's basically all the battle is...I think the God of War series has seen worse.

How much further do I have until the game is over?
15-20 minutes. Finish it up, the end is fucking awesome.

Just dipping into multiplayer now, co-op is a tonne of fun but the timer is such a huge buzzkill...

If anyone wants to add me to play some then my PSN is SammiiDoogles.

Edit:
Okay moving on to 4v4 multiplayer and I totally see what people were saying about hard to find a match...

Replayed GoW3 today, about the same time as GoW2 I think. Although there are a LOT more cutscene, and this final 20 or something minutes is dumb as fuuuuck. Retcons, dumb plot devices, the works.

The first two hours are kinda boring, then it gets really good around the middle for 3 hours, then it gets worse again, until finally you get annoying gauntlets, HOPE IS WHAT MAKES US STRONG, clone final boss, walking forward for ten minutes, etc.

But the combat is the best in the series. I really wish I could combine say, the combat and middle three hours of GoW3, with the puzzles and the last four hours of GoWA, then we'd have a worthy sequel to GoW2.

Dead

well not really...yet
Calmed down a bit after getting pissed over something so simple, probably played too long in one sitting.

Put in 5 hours and just got to the Grotto.

Overall, I feel the game is a lot harder than any previous God of War but then again, the combat just feels really different to me, so could be im still getting used to it.

There are lots of odd things about this game though. Putting aside the sound design issues (way less of them after Hechatonchires), the game is oddly quiet and solemn, very little dialog and not many cut scenes so far, music is pretty minimal as well (most of the time). It just feels really different. Kind of a wierd feeling when combined with the fact that the story is essentially non existent at this point. The game feels kind of feels like its being made up as its goes on.

One thing that I need to call out though is the decision to include those little bugs as enemies. One, they're so...insignificant, its not unsurprising people feel a bit underwhelmed right at the start when these things are the first things thrown at you. And aside from that, they are just a nuisance. Nothing challenging about them, the game just throws them at you for shits and giggles to annoy you.

Other than that, the game remains graphically astonishing, the combat has become a lot more satisfying
surprised all 4 magic elements were given so early
and its overall challenging, but at the same time its definitely a step down from GoW 3 in all aspects.

Jigolo

Just starting the MP and it is really fun. It's done really well and I actually want the better hammers in the game. Since the auto save fucked up my play through on hard, I'm just going to take a break from the campaign for now.

Haha beat the Trials on my second try and the final boss on my first. Just finished getting the Platinum. Doesn't feel as satisfying as the other GOW Platinum trophies. It was too easy IMO.
My hard playthrough was easier than my normal run. I maxed out my weapons 3 chapters before i reached the Trials. Still a great game. Solid 8/10.

Trials require a lot of patience and some skill. If you don't master Uroborus, Orkos, and blocking then sorry, but you're fucked. Here are my tips, pretty much the same as others.

Wave 1- Uroborus, Orkos, and block. Rinse and repeat till Medusae's are dead. If you feel lucky than add a couple of Square combos. Make sure to all always grapple them when red. They refill your magic. Now for the lighting assholes use ALL your magic. Don't bother blocking. Just Uroborus, Orkos, and magic. grapple is a must, it's easier, and you refill your magic. If you have at least a quarter of your health then congrats you made it.

Wave 2- Uroborus, Orkos, and block. Rinse and repeat till the avatar chicks turn red. DON'T UNBLOCK OR USE ANY COMBOS. Yeah it's cheesy, but these fuckers don't play. Grapple them when red and boom you should have at least40-75% of health. Lighting rock dude. Uroborus, Orkos, Square combos and magic if you have. Just throw the birds out the arena to make it easier. If done right you should go untouched for the rest of the Trials.

Wave 3- Uroborus, Orkos, and block. Just block the entire time. Black Kratos will do all the work. If he charges you win the QTE and give a short Square combo. He'll turn red within 30 seconds. Grapple to get the extra health. You should now be somewhere between 60-90% of health if done right.

Final Wave- Uroborus, Orkos, and block. That's it really. If you have magic go ahead and use it. If you grapple them your magic refills. So killing the rest is a piece of cake. But if you want to play it safe then just let Black Kratos do it all the work. If you're low on health DON'T CHANCE IT. Just let him do everything.

I finished with 1 magic bar and 70% health. Went untouched from wave 2-4. If you Platinumed every GOW game this isn't really a challenge. Bad design? Not imo, but the camera is awful especially in wave 2.

ironcreed

Banned
Hell yes, finally got passed the Trial. Just took a few times to get the flow of things and find a method that worked, like any good challenge should.

Round one - Just used the Amulet to slow down one Gorgon while attacking the others until the lightning ladies showed up. Then used Hades magic to whittle them down and got enough blue orbs to help me through while taking my time and picking spots.

Round two - Cake once you know what to expect. The amazon ladies are easily dealt with using the stone of Orkos, Amulet and smart tactics. Then I Just threw the harpies off the edge, avoided the fire and again used the Amulet of Uroborus, Stone of Orkos and basic attacks at a good range until I got the prompt to take out the big guy.

Round 3 - The Minotaur is pretty easy using the same methods as earlier, as are the wraith guys. I ended up with over half my health and two and a half magic slots left. At which point I immediately realized that it is not that bad. A challenging three rounds that forces you to learn, yes, but definitely not something that they should nerf. Have patience and try to play smart, people.

Now, on to polish this one off.

Kak.efes

It picked up for me at the Temple right before that. The time distortion effects and puzzles were great.

There's definitely a greater emphasis on puzzles this go around, with time distortion and another ability you get later on. I think I'm about 3/4th's complete. I just stopped at what I assume are the trials (the chapter name is Trials of Archemedes, which is what everybody seems to be bitching about). Everything concerning the reformation of this Apollo statue has been awesome, and what you'd come to expect from a GoW game.

BadAss2961

Just beat the game. Epic finish.

Gameplay

This is the first God of War that really forced me to try different things with the combat. Much less square square triangle and L1+square, and much more air juggling, magic, and use of special items. I might need to revisit the other games, but because Ascension was built to make the player mix it up more, i'd give it the nod for the whole series as far as combat is concerned.

Environments & Traversal

This is the most varied God of War outside of GoW2. Great adventure with lots to see, although very linear.

Platforming is about on par with the other games. Slide and swinging sections are both fun and work well. Plenty of climbing that's completely automatic and only serves to showcase visuals.

Graphics

Best looking game to date, console or PC (yeah, I said it.) The final boss is really something else.

Story

I think most people lose interest because not only is Ascension a prequel, but it's more of a side story that doesn't feature any of the important characters from the previous games. Having said that, what we got is a bit underrated in my opinion. Could I not wait to see what would happen next? Not really. But there was a story here that I was able to comprehend, and it did have its moments.

Rank

GoW2>Ascension>GoW3>GoW1

I played on normal, and the trials wasn't much of a challenge at all. Finished on my 2nd try. I really doubt that it's going to be a problem for me on hard either. You guys suck. lol

9/10

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's definitely a greater emphasis on puzzles this go around, with time distortion and another ability you get later on. I think I'm about 3/4th's complete. I just stopped at what I assume are the trials (the chapter name is Trials of Archemedes, which is what everybody seems to be bitching about). Everything concerning the reformation of this Apollo statue has been awesome, and what you'd come to expect from a GoW game.

I agree. I loved the environments and puzzles in this one. It reminded me of Lords of Shadow a bit, a game I always considered to be GoW with more platforming and puzzles.

Just got done playing some multiplayer for the first time - have to say, it's actually a lot of fun. Can't see myself sticking with it, because I don't stick with most MP games besides the occasional sessions with Red Dead and BF3 but it's good.

Player vs Player
When you're one on one with someone and you actually have space to think and be strategic it's soooo good. But being overwhelmed and ganged up on sucks bad, if you're still cooling down on your escape move then you're basically fucked, and even if you aren't you're pretty much fucked anyway. Guess that's just par for the course though. The way attacks are colour coded is very, very smart and used effectively. Although I think the white invincible state lasts a bit too long in some cases.

Weapons
Environmental items are much more fun and useful than in single player. Dat club. makes for a great sprinting entrance into a fight. As far as primary weapons go, I use the sword and it has a very satisfying heft to it.

Maps
Maps are generally pretty good. The Bog from GoWII appears as a map, which is a nice bit of nostalgia - you can even see the structure that Kratos lifts (I think that's what he does, been too long since I played II) in the background, it's the best map I've played. The desert is a good all rounder map, but I was a bit tired of it from the Beta. Bog was my favourite. Hercules' forum was also good, although it is just a 1:1 port from III and I think it's co op only, so it doesn't matter - was fun to see again. I didn't much care for the Labyrinth very much - although on my second try it wasn't so bad and got a couple of decent kill streaks.

Killstreaks
Speaking of which, when you put your mind to it and learn the layout of the maps (most importantly where health altars are) you can rack up a good amount of kills, I've had a good few 5+ kill streaks, my highest being something like 7 so far before getting gang fucked.
Map layout + watching your opponent and timing your strikes (aka strategy) = the key to winning.

Magic
Took some getting used to, not sure what the reason for a magic bar is if you can only use magic when it's full. Should just have an indicator instead. First few times I just went into a crowd with 75% and got killed trying to use it until I realized this. I can see why it can only be done then, it's a rare thing because it's suuuper powerful. Fun to pull off. Although the aformentioned invincible state on other players has absorbed a good chunk of the damage most times I've used it, which is a shame.

AAK

Wow, really, the trials is what everyone was crying about? Just beat it. I died a couple times but that was because I was impatient.

Honestly, just block, then punish. And when you punish you can be as stylish as you want to be.

Very disappointed with the last boss fight. Yeah it was graphically amazing... but it was WAY too easy.

Here are my rankings of the games:

Story: 1>>>>A>3>>>>>2

Combat: A>3>2=1

Boss Fights: 2>A>3>1

Adventure Aspects & Platforming: 1>A>2>3

Puzzles: A>>>>>1>2>3

Overall: GOWA>GOW3=GOW2>GOW1

Very good job SSM, they are still the Kings. Although it wasn't perfect, it's still one hell of a game. 9.5/10 Honestly enjoyed it even more than Rising.

ironcreed

Banned
And credits. The challenge of the Trial and the epic final confrontation made up for some of the bugs and the new combat tweaks that I was not fond of. On the whole, I think it deserves about a solid 8.0. I had fun, now back to Gamefly it goes.

Finally watched the Sessler review holy shit was that full of spoilers. But LOL at his bitterness over the Trophy name. SSM should have never caved in for him.

BadAss2961

Ascension's only real weak spot is the soundtrack. Following up God of War 3's brilliance only magnifies this.

The only track i'm left with in my head is the remix of the GoW1 theme.

BadAss2961

Man fuck the trials.

That's all.
The trial only takes like 10 minutes. It doesn't seem like you can get any health before the end of the 2nd wave (I haven't figured out how to get Hades blades to work), but the amount of magic dropped with each brutal kill makes up for that.

Danny-Boy

Damn I prepared myself for the worst. I'm a few hours in and this game is awesome. I'm deep in the cistern and loving every second. The combat is different but better. Heard it gets better as you go on. Well done SSM.

Man fuck the trials.

That's all.

The name fits. It tries your patience and and makes sure you use a full complement of the powers you've come across to that point in the game. I don't however see a reason why that specific sequence was the antepenultimate chapter in this story. It's harder than the final boss or the At World's End setpieces that get you there.

Manus

Wow, really, the trials is what everyone was crying about? Just beat it. I died a couple times but that was because I was impatient.

Honestly, just block, then punish. And when you punish you can be as stylish as you want to be.

Very disappointed with the last boss fight. Yeah it was graphically amazing... but it was WAY too easy.

Here are my rankings of the games:

Story: 1>>>>A>3>>>>>2

Combat: A>3>2=1

Boss Fights: 2>A>3>1

Adventure Aspects & Platforming: 1>A>2>3

Puzzles: A>>>>>1>2>3

Overall: GOWA>GOW3=GOW2>GOW1

Very good job SSM, they are still the Kings. Although it wasn't perfect, it's still one hell of a game. 9.5/10 Honestly enjoyed it even more than Rising.

Man how is GOWA story better than 3 and 2? Would love to see why you think this.

Draper

Man, I just cannot beat the trials. Is there a warm up period for the R2+L2 or is my controller just wonky as hell?

Blah everyone.

Blah

3 has the worst boss fight in the series with Skorpius, so it kinda evens out

Just because of the scorpions? give me a break. 3 fulfilled the fantasy of performing fatalities on all the Gods that have so tormented Kratos for his existence. It was topper after topper after topper. SSM put themselves at a disadvantage by doing a prequel with Kratos when he isn't a God and making a more personal tale, which meant the villains wouldn't have the epic feel to them.

This game needed a "Cronos" but that wouldn't have made sense for this story.

Just finished it. End spoilers.

Well, they pulled a massive bait-and-switch with the Carabdis sea monster! Thought we were going to be fighting that at the Foot of Apollo, then yoink! It's the final boss. Funny to think that the creepy-ass underwater .gif we were all going nuts about a month or so ago was the last five minutes of the game.

Overall, I had a good time with it, but the best parts were the opening and the ending. The story was filler, the puzzles were too frequent and annoying, the combat was great once it 'clicks'. Somehow managed to get through the entire game not using, or even knowing about Parry. Trials took about 5 attempts, easy when you read all the hints on here and make it your own. Still love the gorgons and the chimera as enemies, and the Manticore was pretty cool. There's a huge slump in the middle of the game where it all gets kinda dull and just becomes puzzles, puzzles. The formula is becoming a little weary in this game and I hope the next one brings about a significant change. The greek mythology stuff still isn't old to me, I could play another six games set in this world, I just think the gameplay needs to be freshened up.

For 2013's action game rankings so far, quality-wise I'd put this above DmC, but below Metal Gear Rising. Raiden is the king.

(edit) didn't really need to spoiler that second paragraph

AAK

Man how is GOWA story better than 3 and 2? Would love to see why you think this.

Because the whole motivation for him versus Zeus is retarded. Kratos was just an Ahole killing people in Athens... and then when Zeus stops him, he's like "You've Betrayed MEEE!" ... I'm just like... "really?"

Worst plot device for any game I've ever liked.

His motivation for getting Aries in GOW1 was justified, for GOW2 and GOW3, defiinitley not.

Just because of the scorpions? give me a break. 3 fulfilled the fantasy of performing fatalities on all the Gods that have so tormented Kratos for his existence. It was topper after topper after topper. SSM put themselves at a disadvantage by doing a prequel with Kratos when he isn't a God and making a more personal tale, which meant the villains wouldn't have the epic feel to them.

This game needed a "Cronos" but that wouldn't have made sense for this story.

I feel like a broken record, but I am the only one who enjoys the smaller boss encounters? Cronos was a spectacle, sure, but all you're really doing is killing some goons on this body and occasionally stabbing at his fingers. Contrast that with the Hercules battle, or the Perseus battle, or the fight against Castor in Ascension. They're more intimate experiences, and I think they're stronger because of it.

That being said, I absolutely loved the end boss in Ascension, but the constant need to create bigger and more ridiculous setpieces is not the way a game should be designed.

Because the whole motivation for him versus Zeus is retarded. Kratos was just an Ahole killing people in Athens... and then when Zeus stops him, he's like "You've Betrayed MEEE!" His motivation for getting Aries in GOW1 was justified, for GOW2 and GOW3, defiinitley not.

Worst plot device for any game I've ever liked.

Played Ghost of Sparta? IMO it makes Kratos' reasons for hating all the gods so much more understandable, and bridges his arc between 1 and 2 nicely.

Just because of the scorpions?

No, because of forcing you to use the Cestus, in a boring, one dimensional fight

I feel like a broken record, but I am the only one who enjoys the smaller boss encounters? Cronos was a spectacle, sure, but all you're really doing is killing some goons on this body and occasionally stabbing at his fingers. Contrast that with the Hercules battle, or the Perseus battle, or the fight against Castor in Ascension. They're more intimate experiences, and I think they're stronger because of it.

Smaller bosses > large bosses

See: Vergil in DMC3, Murai in NGB, Jeanne in Bayonetta, Devil Hand in Godhand, everybody in Metal Gear Rising, etc. Hell, far and away the best boss fight in GoW3 was Hercules. They're just more interesting mechanically, while the big ones get by on mostly empty spectacle.

and the most you "fight" Cronos is smacking his fingers. Shit is wack as a boss, but pretty cool as a level.

AAK

Haven't beaten Ascension yet, but GoW3 is the undisputed champ as far as bosses go.

IMO GOW3 wins where it comes to scale. But when it comes to strict game design where bosses have great patterns that force you to utilize a greater majority of the mechanics at your disposal, GOW2 and GOWA did it 10x better than GOW3.

Played Ghost of Sparta? IMO it makes Kratos' reasons for hating all the gods so much more understandable, and bridges his arc between 1 and 2 nicely.

Didn't GOW2 come before GoS? Hence you can't blame me for thinking the motivation was stupid considering they didn't provide any at the time of release.

Top Bottom