• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

RiverBed

Banned
Are there any trials, challenges, etc. in this game like the previous ones? I can only find SP, MP and Extras (credits/videos).

BHK3

Banned
Finally had time to start this beast and just got to The Cistern. I think the game is fantastic so far. The intro was excellent and suitably epic and the combat has been sublime for me. I am parrying and grappling like a bad ass and already got a combo limit passed 100 3 times. Man I missed GOW sooo bad. Unless the game takes a seriously bad turn soon I don't know what the hate is about but its still relatively early for me.

Only thing that was a real "What were they thinking" moment was in the first big fight
against Hecatonchires where your on the platform with his jaw it zoomed so far out I couldn't see one thing I was doing.
I sat about 2 feet from my tv and still couldn't tell what was going on. I hope there isn't more garbage like that. I died like 8 times on that section.

I got bad news

Finally had time to start this beast and just got to The Cistern. I think the game is fantastic so far. The intro was excellent and suitably epic and the combat has been sublime for me. I am parrying and grappling like a bad ass and already got a combo limit passed 100 3 times. Man I missed GOW sooo bad. Unless the game takes a seriously bad turn soon I don't know what the hate is about but its still relatively early for me.

Only thing that was a real "What were they thinking" moment was in the first big fight
against Hecatonchires where your on the platform with his jaw it zoomed so far out I couldn't see one thing I was doing.
I sat about 2 feet from my tv and still couldn't tell what was going on. I hope there isn't more garbage like that. I died like 8 times on that section.

There's only 2-3 more zoomed out sections and a challenging Trial in the end. Those parts should give you the most trouble.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

There are couple more major zoom-outs but the screen won't be nearly as cluttered. You probably won't die.

DC1

There's only 2-3 more zoomed out sections and a challenging Trial in the end. Those parts should give you the most trouble.

Voice of Reason is spot on.

Further in the other 2 - 3 instances, there is absolutely no chance that you will die.... unless you set the controller down.

Footos22

Got to trial of archemedies. Did it second time on hard. Why even patch it. It wasn't even the hardest fight in the game. It was my favourite actually. Lightning bitches are fuck all with rage mode ares blades. Triangle spam and boom "hard bit" done.

Game didn't really click until then. Last boss was great visually but was pretty lame overall. Id rank my favs as.

2>gos>3>ascension>1>CoO

Just finished the Trial on my second try on Normal. First fight is pretty damn hard, second not so bad, you just have to be real patient and careful. Third part was easy.

On that first part, just spam the freaking crap out of magic, and your other L2+triangle and square abilities. Those stupid lighting witches are so cheap, but enough magic spam did the trick.

Glad I beat that shit before they patch it. Makes me feel special.

Haven't quite finished it yet, but its a great game. Don't think its my favorite god of war game, but still awesome. Too tired to offer more thoughts right now...

I fucking hate this game. I'm fighting the Cyclops at the beginning of The Furnace and the stupid flying enemies keep getting stuck in places where I can't attack them and they won't attack me. I have tried to get past this three times and I don't know what to do since there is no ranged magic. Did anyone else have this problem?

I thought that God of War games were supposed to be extremely polished experiences that had more than enough development time, not a pile of glitches.

BHK3

Banned
Multiplayer is really fun outside of the objective mode, they should really not have one at all because all the players think because it's god of war every mode is death match.

Well at least being stuck here is inflating my playing time since I was on track to beat this in about 8 hours. Now who knows how long it will take!?

BadAss2961

The game only gets better from there.

Just finished my hard playthrough. Three tries to take down the trial. People need to step their game up.

Game is so good... Now onto multiplayer and new game plus.

Just beat it. Wow, quite the experience. Time to play on hard and clean up the remaining three trophies.

If anyone here often plays multiplayer, PSN ID: gibration

I'll be on for the next couple of hours too.

I'll join ya some time, what lvl and side did ya take? You're online all the time!

I got bad news

Haha

There are couple more major zoom-outs but the screen won't be nearly as cluttered. You probably won't die.

Great to know thanks man.

Also damn this game can be beautiful, at the beginning of the cistern before you get
Poseidon's Ice Power and your running up the waterfall.
That is a beautiful area. Game really is impressive visually but strangely not consistently so.

The game only gets better from there.

Just finished my hard playthrough. Three tries to take down the trial. People need to step their game up.

Game is so good... Now onto multiplayer and new game plus.

Really? I keep thinking for the backlash the game is receiving it has to get dramatically worse but man I am having a great time so far.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Is there a known glitch with the magic gauge? I'm doing the Trials on hard right now and I can usually get to the 3rd part with a full magic gauge, but whenever I try to go for a third magic spell it doesn't perform at all, even when the gauge has 1 full block on the screen. It's cost me a couple of deaths already because I thought it was maybe because I was inputting something wrong but I was literally standing there pressing nothing and hammering on the button and nothing was happening.

gibration

Multiplayer is really fun outside of the objective mode, they should really not have one at all because all the players think because it's god of war every mode is death match.
Team Favor's the best mode. FFA is also fun but this game works best when you work as a team. And the cool thing about Team Favor is that it allows you to play both the objective and tdm since kills also count towards your goal.
I'll join ya some time, what lvl and side did ya take? You're online all the time!
I've leveled up Ares to rank 19, Zeus to rank 10, and Poseidon to rank 13. :D

There are these 3 hidden phantom trophies I have no idea how to get or what they are. When I look at them on the trophy list one of them is the trophy right before "Swinger" and after "Open Minded". The second is after "Handyman and before "That's gonna Leave a Mark" and the last one is before "Tell Me How You Really Feel" and after "Hello Friend". I think one of them is the 1000 hit combo one. But the the other 2 I'm not sure what or how to get them. Anybody here know?

These are the 2 you're missing.

Tag Teamed *
Hit 100 Enemies with the Oath Stone of Orkos

Hold Still Please *
Slow 100 Enemies with the Amulet of Uroborus

Tag Teamed I got naturally. Hold still please takes a bit of grinding. The good thing is that it doesn't have to be 100 different enemies. So every battle you encounter try to use it at least 4-5 times and you should get it by the time you beat the game. With a tiny bit of grinding I got it right before the Fury sisters. Also, Max it out ASAP so it refills faster.

Is there a known glitch with the magic gauge? I'm doing the Trials on hard right now and I can usually get to the 3rd part with a full magic gauge, but whenever I try to go for a third magic spell it doesn't perform at all, even when the gauge has 1 full block on the screen. It's cost me a couple of deaths already because I thought it was maybe because I was inputting something wrong but I was literally standing there pressing nothing and hammering on the button and nothing was happening.

That happened to me a bunch of times too. The new magic bar is horrible.

BadAss2961

It seems that sometimes you just don't have enough magic left for another use.

Health and magic are just bars, not blocks. So between using magic and getting bits and pieces from enemies killed, you might end up with a piece of the bar filled that isn't quite enough to perform another attack. If it doesn't work, its not going to. So don't bother trying to force it.

hamchan

Reached statue of Apollo. Game is good now that I'm used to the larger enemy health and am properly mixing it up in the combat. The bosses and set pieces are still great like the rest of the series.

Only weak part is the story really.

I'm tempted to do a chronological run through of the whole series after finishing this one.

Sanctuary

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the gameplay is actually taking a backseat to "EPIC EPIC EPIC" in this game. I had no problems beating GOW1, GOW2 and GOW3 in their versions of god mode, and I normally started out on hard since normal was too easy.

In this game however, I can't tell what the fuck is happening on screen 90% of the time, because most of the enemies are colored similarly to Kratos early on, and their weapons also use the same fire flash coloration. So when you get tossed into the middle of a clusterfuck and bounced around, it's terribly hard to actually get your bearings and know where you're at on screen. It's even worse when the game zooms way out for the sake of "EPIC EPIC EPIC" and you can barely see yourself, let alone even the enemies. Pretty annoying and it feels very sloppy. Plus the camera angles seem to be pretty terrible in this version so far.

Danny-Boy

Finished up today somewhere around apollos foot and damn this game is epic. There was a part where you chain swings together which left the biggest smile on my face. The combat, puzzles, and platforming are beyond my expectations. Not sure how long I have left but I'd put this game ahead of all the others, especially in combat, they nailed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the gameplay is actually taking a backseat to "EPIC EPIC EPIC" in this game. I had no problems beating GOW1, GOW2 and GOW3 in their versions of god mode, and I normally started out on hard since normal was too easy.

In this game however, I can't tell what the fuck is happening on screen 90% of the time, because most of the enemies are colored similarly to Kratos early on, and their weapons also use the same fire flash coloration. So when you get tossed into the middle of a clusterfuck and bounced around, it's terribly hard to actually get your bearings and know where you're at on screen. It's even worse when the game zooms way out for the sake of "EPIC EPIC EPIC" and you can barely see yourself, let alone even the enemies. Pretty annoying and it feels very sloppy. Plus the camera angles seem to be pretty terrible in this version so far.

After the giant snake segment I don't recall having issues with the camera pan out stuff. It was a legitimate worry I had after the demo, and I'm not sure why they did it even in those instances.

hamchan

Trials of Archimedes finished in one go.

I played it pretty carefully because of how hyped up it was but it turned out to be pretty easy. Unless it's already been nerfed like I was hearing about?

I don't understand which wave was supposed to be hard. I suppose the Gorgans and electric things could be hard if you get stoned and instakilled but it's so easy to just spam magic since they drop blue orbs.

Amulet is totally the best item in the game though. So nice to either slow enemies or make them float in the air, helpless.

rdrr gnr

These are the 2 you're missing.

Tag Teamed I got naturally. Hold still please takes a bit of grinding. The good thing is that it doesn't have to be 100 different enemies. So every battle you encounter try to use it at least 4-5 times and you should get it by the time you beat the game. With a tiny bit of grinding I got it right before the Fury sisters. Also, Max it out ASAP so it refills faster.

That happened to me a bunch of times too. The new magic bar is horrible.
What if you just isolate an easy enemy and just grind out 100 uses? Does that work?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Trials of Archimedes finished in one go.

I played it pretty carefully because of how hyped up it was but it turned out to be pretty easy. Unless it's already been nerfed like I was hearing about?

I don't understand which wave was supposed to be hard. I suppose the Gorgans and electric things could be hard if you get stoned and instakilled but it's so easy to just spam magic since they drop blue orbs.

Amulet is totally the best item in the game though. So nice to either slow enemies or make them float in the air, helpless.

Agreed. Even Titan mode allows you to block constantly and spam Stone of Orkos/Amulet of Uroborus for a relatively easy win. This thing is seriously not worth a patch.

hamchan

Game done. Game is nice. Matched or even exceeded the epicness of GOW3 with the set pieces and bosses, though wasn't as satisfying to kill the final boss like it was in GOW3, purely because of narrative reasons.

Won't rank the games because I really do like them all a lot. This is the weakest story in the series though.

Final playtime 7:09:29 on Normal. Will play through the whole series again before trying Titan.

Agreed. Even Titan mode allows you to block constantly and spam Stone of Orkos/Amulet of Uroborus for a relatively easy win. This thing is seriously not worth a patch.
That's not how my experience went. On Hard mode if I stood still and just blocked the Gorgons would grab me and whittle down my health. That was the single most annoying thing about that battle. The electric sirens were pretty easy to ring out with lightning magic, but if the Gorgons wore you down you were in trouble for the second round. I beat it on hard by actually fighting my way through, with everything in my arsenal, and every step of the way the game tried to force me into turtling up so those bastards could put the squeeze on me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's not how my experience went. On Hard mode if I stood still and just blocked the Gorgons would grab me and whittle down my health. That was the single most annoying thing about that battle. The electric sirens were pretty easy to ring out with lightning magic, but if the Gorgons wore you down you were in trouble for the second round. I beat it on hard by actually fighting my way through, with everything in my arsenal, and every step of the way the game tried to force me into turtling up so those bastards could put the squeeze on me.

Yeah, I should clarify that Block + Uroborus/Orkos is for Wave 2 and 3. The Gorgon/Witch combo is pretty annoying but using magic and being patient works just fine. If you get past Wave 1 with more than half your health, it should be pretty smooth sailing at that point. The player has all the tools needed to dominate the Trials but I do think the game does a poor job of getting you ready for it.

I just replayed the opening from God of War 3 and it still absolutely blows me away. I wonder why Santa Monica couldn't even come close to matching it in Ascension.

It's strange with my first play through I was able to keep blocking and I never had the gorgons even try to grab me. On my second play through they were doing it constantly. Same difficulty setting too.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just replayed the opening from God of War 3 and it still absolutely blows me away. I wonder why Santa Monica couldn't even come close to matching it in Ascension.

Nowhere to go but down from a game that had you fighting Poseidon, Hades, Hercules, Cronos, and Zeus to wrap up a trilogy. Ascension never stood a chance of matching GOW3's scale and "feel".

Sporran

Well bollox, im on CH5 at the stage when you meet the first
Satyr General
. I fight all the others but he is stuck up behind the right hand vortex from where i guess he should come down from :( and will not come past the black smoke line. I can hit him to the point that he goes down but am not able to grapple him.

Restarting the checkpoint and he is still in the same place.

Is this a complete game restart?

rdrr gnr

I can't believe there are death streaks in God of War. Is nothing sacred anymore? I take solace in knowing the MP will be a wasteland in a few weeks.

hamchan

It's a bit hard to match that when that moment is the result of a buildup over years and years in a trilogy.

Footos22

Haha

Great to know thanks man.

Also damn this game can be beautiful, at the beginning of the cistern before you get
Poseidon's Ice Power and your running up the waterfall.
That is a beautiful area. Game really is impressive visually but strangely not consistently so.

Really? I keep thinking for the backlash the game is receiving it has to get dramatically worse but man I am having a great time so far.

I missed how nice that area apparantly looks as my kratos was running through an extremley dark world where I could see nothing but the glow of poseidons ice power and strange green lights in the sky.

Also I've had to restart checkpoint at least 4 times after a battle as the next sequence wouldn't start up. The Cyclops chap in the furnace was one of the times. Killed him. Could still hear him stomping about making growls yet nothing there. Had to do that bit again. Usually it was just before a big puzzle that would happen.

Most unpolished gow I have played yet. Was still a great game and better then a few others could have done with some better testers though as I don't know how this managed to get passed when stuff seems to happen so frequently.

Loving it so far, about 3 hours in.

Anyone else find that they're picking up nearly 3 times as many Gorgon Eyes as they are Phoenix Feathers?

Not a fan of the new combat system's way of locking moves to elements and behind the Rage meter, makes it a bit fiddly. Also don't understand why they locked the magic attacks to the last upgrades, they're a vital part of the franchise

As yet, GoW2 still has my favourite combat.

Also hardlocked when I tried getting into multiplayer :(

Add me if you play multiplayer, SEN's the same as my username here :)

just beat the fucking
manticore
or at least that's what I think it was
firebreathing flying thing

took me so many tries and I was so close. so satisfying when kratos did his finisher at last. I was like FUCK YOU SO HARD!!

people have issues having fun with this? Its so good. Then after that boss, that make you fight
ceberus?
right away? had to stop playing. Lol

I can't believe there are death streaks in God of War. Is nothing sacred anymore? I take solace in knowing the MP will be a wasteland in a few weeks.
I certainly hope not, the multiplayer is by far my favourite part of Ascension. Have you given it a proper chance? I too was skeptical at first, but after a few matches I'm completely hooked. The action is frantic but still requires skills, the combat/weapons/upgrades have depth, you can pull of different moves with different weapons and some are best suited with certain type of armour or power, lots of combinations to try. What I love most about it is that the MP feels fresh and unique, to me at least, there's nothing quite like it since Power Stone, though I have to admit "multiplayer" usually means an online shooter for me, and the GoW:A MP is a much welcomed break. I usually move on to the next game once I got the platinum trophy, but this multiplayer manages to keep me coming back for more. I'm not the best player,, but winning an 1 on 1 fight is so much more satisfying than shooting someone dead.

Jacob4815

I think that this game needs no less than two epic "GOW3-style" single player expansions.
Those could raise the global experience of the game at a higher level.

But probably they will waste this oppotunity and they will release a ton of shitty and useless multiplayer DLC...

Loving it so far, about 3 hours in.

Anyone else find that they're picking up nearly 3 times as many Gorgon Eyes as they are Phoenix Feathers?

Haha yes, they've changed up the balance from the usual eye, feather, eye, feather. I thought at first I must be missing loads of feathers. I think it's because the blue bar is segmented this time, and works a little differently to the health bar.

Well bollox, im on CH5 at the stage when you meet the first
Satyr General
. I fight all the others but he is stuck up behind the right hand vortex from where i guess he should come down from :( and will not come past the black smoke line. I can hit him to the point that he goes down but am not able to grapple him.

Restarting the checkpoint and he is still in the same place.

Is this a complete game restart?

There is a chapter select on the main menu I think? Not sure of the part your stuck at, but you should be able to restart the chapter no bother, unless that appeared after I finished the game (don't think it did).

rdrr gnr

I certainly hope not, the multiplayer is by far my favourite part of Ascension. Have you given it a proper chance? I too was skeptical at first, but after a few matches I'm completely hooked. The action is frantic but still requires skills, the combat/weapons/upgrades have depth, you can pull of different moves with different weapons and some are best suited with certain type of armour or power, lots of combinations to try. What I love most about it is that the MP feels fresh and unique, to me at least, there's nothing quite like it since Power Stone, though I have to admit "multiplayer" usually means an online shooter for me, and the GoW:A MP is a much welcomed break. I usually move on to the next game once I got the platinum trophy, but this multiplayer manages to keep me coming back for more. I'm not the best player,, but winning an 1 on 1 fight is so much more satisfying than shooting someone dead.
Yes, I have. What I am playing is a far cry from the simple paper-rock-scissor mechanics of the beta. The maps are way too busy. There are a million different gimmicks going on all at the same time. There seem to be some balance issues. Some class abilities are more annoying than skillful. Lack of maps in various gametypes. A progression system that is infuriating. I was a huge fan of the beta because it was so refreshing. What I'm playing now reeks of the same banal garbage I've been playing -- it just comes packaged in a different form. There are moments of hilarity when playing with friends -- but this game has not justified its existence. And the MP component was never going to do that.

Z3M0G

So besides the tweet they made about it, has there been further confirmation that there are actual sound issues that they plan to fix with a patch? And when?

I bought the game, but I'm just playing multiplayer (which is awesome) while I wait...

f@luS

More than a member.
i wanted to wait to buy it but i cant

just started ghost of sparta 2 days ago and made me want it too much

i want to play them all again

is it ok to play then with chronological order or its better by release date?

is it ok to play then with chronological order or its better by release date?

I wouldn't say it matters too much. Obviously if you don't play them in actual release order, you will see the cracks of the older ones much easier. I would also say that Ghost of Sparta is the only one that that I felt, while a prequel to 2 & 3, foreshadows them heavy enough to possibly give the game away about some things. I didn't feel that about chains of Olympus or ascension, but it's hard to tell either way since I might be looking for things having played the later games. In general though, I wouldn't worry, do it how you wish. The story isn't really that big a factor in most of them, it's just there to send Kratos on his way or justify a set piece and then it bows out the way. If you know anything about the greek mythos and tragedies, most plot points are fairly obvious or guessable.

hamchan

I'm playing them chronologically right now. Having just finished Ascension and moving on to Chains of Olympus, it is a very rough jump. Best looking game of the series to the worst, eww.

thabiz

any time frame on the patch for the audio? I would really like to play this, but I think its going to be after Bioshock. Have my hopes to see a patch this week. Still cant believe it shipped with such a huge bug.

f@luS

More than a member.
at least play it on ps3 (hd) , and if you can 3D :love:

ill do chrono order...i may be a bit fanboyish but even COO was quite good for me....

will play them all again

Top Bottom