• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

any time frame on the patch for the audio? I would really like to play this, but I think its going to be after Bioshock. Have my hopes to see a patch this week. Still cant believe it shipped with such a huge bug.

What are the audio issues exactly? I must of got lucky with that one, zero issues on my headphones or my tv speakers.

the 5.1 mix is pathetic. I dont even think its working half the time. audio drops out, cutscenes are out of sync.

Crazy. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't really speak to the *quality* as much, I enjoyed it fine enough. Certainly no issues with it actually not working or dropping out or lack of sync though. Guess you gotta have it the other way sometimes though, I think I hit every glitch in AC3 and Tomb raider combined ha, this must be my karma paying out.

bumpkin

Anyone find it weird that the game is in Stereo by default? And only Prologic II as alternative?
When I played the demo, I had it set to PLII. However when I got the final game, I played on stereo. The PLII mix is way too low as others have said. I'm not sure if the audio issues people have complained about -- out of sync or missing sounds or dialog -- happen on PLII or not, but they definitely happened on stereo several times.

In other news, I finally managed to get past the damn
Trial of Archimedes
last night on my fourth (I think?) try. Knowing how to parry helped, but I think blocking more and dodging a lot were the only reasons I survived. As many have said, the parts afterwards were nowhere near as difficult. I really don't understand the spike in difficulty.
I'll agree with other posters that the final boss fight(s) were pretty epic! There was just so much going on, it wasn't even possible to take all of it in. I may have to YouTube it just to see what I wasn't looking at 'cuz I was too busy trying not to die. I did think it was funny that you never encounter the sea monster shown in the E3 demo at any point during the game and that it ended up basically being the final boss; just much bigger and much uglier!

BHK3

Banned
I can't believe there are death streaks in God of War. Is nothing sacred anymore? I take solace in knowing the MP will be a wasteland in a few weeks.

I certainly hope so, that means only the dedicated true servants of the gods will be left and I won't be surrounded by these idiot peasant farmers who pledged their life to Zeus/Ares/Poseidon/Hades just so it can fucking rain. Wouldn't know what an objective is if it flew through their window and kicked them in the dick. May the Furies wrath have no mercy on them.

Seriously, I play today and I see people on my team with NO ARMOUR ON. THEY ARE NAKED. TUNIC, SWORD, THATS IT. THEY WALK UP TO THE POINT I'M HALF DONE CAPTURING AND THEY START SCRATCHING THEIR FUCKING BACKS.

ced

So I finally realized why the game felt so bland for the 6hrs I've been playing.

I've only heard music once or twice, and most sound effects out of combat have been non existent.

I hope next gen developers are given the freedom to patch issues in a timely and free manner as they see fit, I'm going to be done with the game before they fix the sound. Bugs happen, having to wait weeks to a month for a fix is ridiculous.

So far it's enjoyable, but I really hate the elemental system now. I rarely get to use it, because one freaking hit and your power is gone. It takes some work to get the rage meter full, then one hit and it's over. There are some good combos, but since most are only available during full rage they are rarely available to me.

Oneself

The more I play, the more I like it. Strangely, for a GOW game, everything feels better than the 1st level / demo so far...

thabiz

So I finally realized why the game felt so bland for the 6hrs I've been playing.

I've only heard music once or twice, and most sound effects out of combat have been non existent.

I hope next gen developers are given the freedom to patch issues in a timely and free manner as they see fit, I'm going to be done with the game before they fix the sound. Bugs happen, having to wait weeks to a month for a fix is ridiculous.

seeing as this was known prior to launch, and mentioned by reviewers, this should have been fixed in the day one patch. I cant think this is a easy fix, or this would have been done already.

It looks like I am odd man out everyone. I really love this game. It doesn't touch the epicness of GOW3 for me but no game has touched that and I don't imagine will till the next proper chapter of the series.

I have some minor complaints:

-View distance gets ridiculous at times
-Parry can't be used in quick succession
-Random glitches and clipping
-Narratively I have no idea wtf is going on

Other than that though combat is excellent and as soon as I take a break from the game I can't wait to go back and play some more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It looks like I am odd man out everyone. I really love this game. It doesn't touch the epicness of GOW3 for me but no game has touched that and I don't imagine will till the next proper chapter of the series.

Other than that though combat is excellent and as soon as I take a break from the game I can't wait to go back and play some more.

I feel the same. I understand the story, though. There's just not much there.
To me it feels more like Orkos' story of how he escaped the torture of his mothers instead of how Kratos got out of his bond with Ares. Kratos is just the one that helped him.

I'm just waiting to replay the game until the patch is out. I feel like the audio glitches getting fixed will make the intro much better with proper impact.

The_Monk

Sorry if it has been answered before fellow GAFfers but when and how we will get those Rewards from completing the Chapters on the God of War site?

It's supposed to today, but will they mail us or will it appear on the Profile?

Only redeemed my Themes,Avatar and OST, planning to Start this week but it would be cool if I could have all the DLC from the Site. I'm current Rank 7 and 900 Points left from 8.

BHK3

Banned
Sorry if it has been answered before fellow GAFfers but when and how we will get those Rewards from completing the Chapters on the God of War site?

It's supposed to today, but will they mail us or will it appear on the Profile?

Only redeemed my Themes,Avatar and OST, planning to Start this week but it would be cool if I could have all the DLC from the Site. I'm current Rank 7 and 900 Points left from 8.

iirc, we will get emails with codes.

Sid

The game is super fun,if some of the issues would have been ironed out and some stuff added this could have been the best GoW ever.

seeing as this was known prior to launch, and mentioned by reviewers, this should have been fixed in the day one patch. I cant think this is a easy fix, or this would have been done already.

Wait, shit, is the game's ambience a bug haha? Because if so, I think I was talking shit when I told you earlier I hadn't experienced any probs. I didn't experience the stuff you checklisted, but there was very little music in my playthrough. I thought that was supposed to match in thematically with Kratos being a bit quieter not as angry and frankly events being a bit less epic, requiring less epic music. If the sparse music is part of the audio issues, then yea, I encountered that haha. No drop out or synch issues though.

It looks like I am odd man out everyone. I really love this game.

You're really not. If you sift through the thread there's alot of peple coming in saying "Well, I guess I'm the only one who likes" but if you add up all of us, there actually seems to be a fair amount of people digging the game. I think since the majority of the critics fell on the disappointed side of things though, people have been more vocally angsty about the fact they've used the same engine, it isn't a significant addition to the universe, etc. But it is a great game, and I'm seeing more and more people say that as they actually play it for themselves.

I will say something I really disliked though. The constant freezing going into a new room to basically try and telegraph the puzzle or exit to you, panning the camera around. Checked the options since I would consider these hints, but I couldn't see a way to turn them off. This may just be the kind of gamer I am now though. As a younger player, I remember the same in Sands of Time and really appreciated them at times. They really annoyed me here though ha.

Cobano

Neo Member
So I just completed it, it's a great game but it does come with some major issues. I'd say if you enjoy the series there's no way you wont enjoy this one as well.

The bad:
-Parrying is pretty broken compared to previous games. It doesnt slow down if you time it perfectly, which is why I was mostly dodging through out the game.
-The sound is obviously bad
-The zooming out that happened 3 times during the first few chapters was just stupid, you couldnt see Kratos
-The story is not very strong and told badly I feel

The good:
-This game has 2 crazy good bosses that were a lot of fun
Pollux and the last boss with the furies. Pollux was just greatly designed and fun while the last boss was epic, those graphics were ridiculous(jaw dropped)
-The combat is overall the best in the series, it's a lot deeper than previously and allows for some great combos when mastered
-The graphics are gorgeous, I felt like I was playing a 1080p game at times, no aliansing at all
-Difficulty scales well all through out the game, I played on normal and never had any problems, if someone enjoys a bigger challenge first time through I'd recommend hard.
-Some good puzzles, nothing too spectacular though

The trail of Archimedes: passed it without dying, it was the hardest part of the game but definitely nothing that's not manageable. Don't see how anyone could be stuck here for hours unless they start out on hard.

Bros before foes: White knight GAF, smh...

Overall it's probably my third favorite game in the series. GoW 2 > GoW 3 > GoW:A > GoW > GoS

It's time to move on from greek mythology (I don't know how), the only reason why this game doesn't reach the hights of 3 and 2 is because you cannot top killing off almost every single god on Olympus. Kratos has slaughterd everything.

See my previous posts, couldn't agree more. It's nice to see there's more and more positivity in this thread, compared with the initial haterade.

I have a strong suspicion though we wouldn't be seeing so many "can't put my finger on it, just not feelin' it" etc posts if there weren't major sound issues. I didn't have any as I played through bluetooth headphones, but the same moments when played through my speakers are significantly diminished. It's a really odd issue for such a polished developer, and one that I think probably single handedly dampened review scores, whether reviewers were consciously aware of it or not.

Sound is crucially important. This is just an unfortunate example.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The game is super fun,if some of the issues would have been ironed out and some stuff added this could have been the best GoW ever.

I agree. Having a lot more fun with this game the second time around which I've never said about a God of War game before. Even with it's issues, mostly technical, I think this is my 2nd favorite in the series.

See my previous posts, couldn't agree more. It's nice to see there's more and more positivity in this thread, compared with the initial haterade.

I have a strong suspicion though we wouldn't be seeing so many "can't put my finger on it, just not feelin' it" etc posts if there weren't major sound issues. I didn't have any as I played through bluetooth headphones, but the same moments when played through my speakers are significantly diminished. It's a really odd issue for such a polished developer, and one that I think probably single handedly dampened review scores, whether reviewers were consciously aware of it or not.

Sound is crucially important. This is just an unfortunate example.

The sound thing is a great point, especially with a game like GOW that is really punctuated by the music and soundtrack to go with the visuals. I have my sound system completely cranked and some environmental and effect sounds are so low they ought as well be muted. It's a pretty significant problem and is baffling how SSM missed it.

thabiz

The sound thing is a great point, especially with a game like GOW that is really punctuated by the music and soundtrack to go with the visuals. I have my sound system completely cranked and some environmental and effect sounds are so low they ought as well be muted. It's a pretty significant problem and is baffling how SSM missed it.

I bet the stereo mix got submitted for the 5.1/7.1 mixes. it reports dts, but its definitely in stereo.

People are having better luck with the game set to headphones and the sounds effects turned down to 70ish. For some reason, using the official Sony wireless pulse headset completely bypasses the issue, the game sounds godly.

:( It's too bad too, cuz the first impression is going to be the game's legacy. Anybody who felt underwhelmed, I strongly urge you to re-play post patch - most people are having a better experience on replay anyway (i did), and the elimination of the massive sound issues will further aid things.

Also strange that Tank and Papy have entirely disappeared from this thread...

Sid

People are having better luck with the game set to headphones and the sounds effects turned down to 70ish. For some reason, using the official Sony wireless pulse headset completely bypasses the issue, the game sounds godly.

:( It's too bad too, cuz the first impression is going to be the game's legacy. Anybody who felt underwhelmed, I strongly urge you to re-play post patch - most people are having a better experience on replay anyway (i did), and the elimination of the massive sound issues will further aid things.

I asked Papy on Twitter,he'll be here soon.

see5harp

I've fallen through the map and experienced really bad sound/music mixing. Even if the polish were there from day one, I'd still feel like the game did a poor job in the story telling dept and at the end of the day it's the 4th or 5th time I've played one of these games this generation. Fixing the sound and music is not going to make this even the best 3rd person action games of this year.

Dusky

I wouldn't go that far. For it to be great in my opinion they would need to overhaul the story as this one was just dull.

I wouldn't go that far. For it to be great in my opinion they would need to overhaul the story as this one was just dull.

I could easily go that far, this is my personal favourite for sure. The story is not great, or more the storytelling is not great, but I would say the exact same about the rest. And most video games for that matter.There's plenty here for people to feel it's the best, and I'm definitely not sure, when discussing the god of war series, that story is the best starting point to try and discredit that, as much as you can discredit an opinion of course. While it would remain my favourite, I think I could absolutely see why someone would argue against it considering the combat changes. People keep saying how the same this game is, but I think they actually got a bit ballsy with the combat changes.

I'm using the first Sony Wireless Headphones and i have experienced sound cutting out.

Oh damn. My main point is the overall audio mix is actually ok, whereas through speakers it's just waaaaaay off.

I asked Papy on Twitter,he'll be here soon.

Noice.

I could easily go that far, this is my personal favourite for sure. The story is not great, or more the storytelling is not great, but I would say the exact same about the rest. And most video games for that matter.There's plenty here for people to feel it's the best, and I'm definitely not sure, when discussing the god of war series, that story is the best starting point to try and discredit that, as much as you can discredit an opinion of course. While it would remain my favourite, I think I could absolutely see why someone would argue against it considering the combat changes. People keep saying how the same this game is, but I think they actually got a bit ballsy with the combat changes.

I have to admit, as much as I enjoy the game, I feel like we could have had a much more compelling narrative about Kratos in this timeframe. Again, I think some of people's frustration is just unfamiliarity with the characters, but I'd definitely agree that it somehow sidestepped really getting inside Kratos' head - ironically for how often we're inside one of
his visions.
We're left with a character without any more pathos than what we started with - I think it's a testament to the strength of the character and brand overall that we actually give enough of a shit to care, but at the end of the day, you're still left with a bit of a disconnect between SSM's apparent intentions and the effect.

Camjo-Z

OK, my brother just got the weirdest glitch on his save file. After the part where you
talk to the Oracle
, the camera was stuck in a far away view and he couldn't progress any further. He was about to give up the game entirely until I told him he could restart at the beginning of the chapter, but damn SSM this game has a lot of bugs.

BadAss2961

Caught an amazing display of lighting last night. At the beginning of The Furnace (chapter 25 I believe), finish Medusa near the top right corner of the screen where there's lava underneath.

Craaaaaazy.

Reposting this since everyone was too busy complaining about audio...

GOWM-Teaser.gif

What do you all think?

I have to admit, as much as I enjoy the game, I feel like we could have had a much more compelling narrative about Kratos in this timeframe. Again, I think some of people's frustration is just unfamiliarity with the characters, but I'd definitely agree that it somehow sidestepped really getting inside Kratos' head - ironically for how often we're inside one of
his visions.
We're left with a character without any more pathos than what we started with - I think it's a testament to the strength of the character and brand overall that we actually give enough of a shit to care, but at the end of the day, you're still left with a bit of a disconnect between SSM's apparent intentions and the effect.

I hate games that get in your way to much with the storytelling, stopping the action, lengthy cutscenes etc. but god of war goes a little too far the other way sometimes. While I think alot of people were disappointed after the initial reveal since the first thing you think is how cool it would have been to see Kratos as an actual Spartan leader and his downfall, there is a good idea here, and I enjoyed the stuff with the
son of Ares and the furies, I forge this name
, he was an interesting character and most of the plot happened when he was around.

Truth be told though, outside of the basic premise and cutscenes when a locational shift or set piece is required, there is really nothing else to the story. We're told what his quest is, and off he goes. While I much prefer this to something like MGS, it's almsot a little too sparse. I found myself confused a few times as to what was going on and why I was going some place specifically, outside of the just the greater goal. I feel like this has been consistent for all GoW games though, which is why I wouldn't mark this down over any other entry. they all have good story ideas, and all fail to execute them anywhere near to the potential when it actual comes to telling that story, and telling it in a way that the player empathises and gets dragged along with it. During this game in fact, I think I convinced myself the music is so sparse as to thematically tie in with a (slightly) more introspective Kratos and make you go through the same motion, sitting in a quiet room ,as he traverses quiet rooms, only punctuating the silence in both worlds when combat initiates. Turns out that was maybe a bug haha. In the end that's fine though, because gameplay will always define the experience. and that's where I end up marking it above the other games, I just find it on level storywise with the others.

Reposting this since everyone was too busy complaining about audio...

What do you all think?

What is it supposed to be sorry?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SP wise(which is what matter most) Ascension is the worst game in the series, I mean there is nothing new here, the same framework and structure as the old games only less epic and everything was predictable,also there is lack of soul everywhere here it almost look like SSM forced to make a game they didn't want.

+Kratos is still a badass
-meh intro stage
-Bad level design
-Bad story and characters
-way too repetitive.
-Unmemorable moments
-Not cool epic fights
-Really bad pacing

samey sections,and long fights with weak guys in boring setting and just repeat what you do over and over again,this is the first GOW game that forced me to stop playing sometimes because I got bored with it, I liked GOW3 more than GOW2 (GOW1 still the king here) but I'll rank Ascension lower than Chains of Olympus which I didn't like much but still has it's cool moments.

5/10

if SSM even want to make a GOW game for PS4 then they need to reboot the entire thing and change the core formula and also hire a good director,because at this rate outsourcing the next game will be a better solution since clearly SSM just "lost it".

Noi

I certainly hope so, that means only the dedicated true servants of the gods will be left and I won't be surrounded by these idiot peasant farmers who pledged their life to Zeus/Ares/Poseidon/Hades just so it can fucking rain. Wouldn't know what an objective is if it flew through their window and kicked them in the dick. May the Furies wrath have no mercy on them.

Seriously, I play today and I see people on my team with NO ARMOUR ON. THEY ARE NAKED. TUNIC, SWORD, THATS IT. THEY WALK UP TO THE POINT I'M HALF DONE CAPTURING AND THEY START SCRATCHING THEIR FUCKING BACKS.

Well, wearing no armor gives you reduced cooldown time...

(No odds of that actually being the real reason.)

bigace33

Ok have they already patched the game? I beat the trials on my first try. I was playing on normal and really did not have a single problem. Some guys were saying it took them 10 tries. They must have been playing on hard cause on normal it is seriously doable. Mind you, I play most all my games on easy difficulty so I can blow through the game. This was relatively easy. I spammed my R2 magic with the power of Zeus and kept slowing down the deadlier foes while sending my shadow self to stop a few heads and do some crowd control. lol this game was good overall. Definitely an AAA tier title.

I noticed audio glitches last night. music kept coming in/out.

can't believe people play games on easy/normal. I gotta say the fight I played last night, I wouldn't have gotten as much pleasure beating the boss if I had play it on an easier mode.

I kept wishing I had spells too.

epic?
the whole snake stage moving around was
unbelievable epic. I was just like wow.

Helscream

Banned
Holy shit I am having a blast with multiplayer. If anyone is interested in some GAF-team play send me a PSN invite. My ID is Helscream

Top Bottom