• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

If you're thinking about me posting the name of the boss you fight, I don't think it's much of a spoiler. He just shows up and you fight him, there's no some overarching story about him. It's what happens during that battle that noone should have spoiled, but the name means very little.

plus I don't even think they mention names plus a lot of it is esoteric mumbo jumbo in this one that isn't as

Took me about 10 and a half hours my first playthrough on normal. 8 hours on hard since I knew all the puzzles and hidden chest locations.

Multiplayer is definitely more than an add-on. By now i've probably spent just as much time playing it as I did the single player.

I use the phrase MP Is an add on to respond to the point that Ascension is MP focused

- Focus on multiplayer

they didn't skimp on the SP.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Bog for me then troy. The layout of magic is soo good for my zeus character.
Yeah Bog of The Forgotten is one of my favorites, but I think all maps are really well done and unique in their own way.

Edit: Today I tried The Trial of The Gods and I only made it to the 4th wave :/.
Any tips???

rdrr gnr

Loudninjas been a pretty important part of this OT there, fella. Plus it's pretty reasonable to be able to read an OT and not expect spoilers - those can be discussed in a separate story thread. In fact the OT is by definition going to be in part or mainly made up by people who haven't completed the game yet, especially two weeks from release.

It's not that hard to wrap some spoiler tags around shit. I've done it with every plot based post in the thread.

Edit:

Eh? I was on your side. *shrugs*

An OT isn't for spoilers though, personally I have seen plenty of spoilers posted here.
I actually think the spoiler etiquette on GAF is little too lax. I've seen people completely ruin games, film, and television shows with an utter disregard for spoilers. Hell, a poster in OT gave away an entire character arc for someone in BSG -- in a thread title! But, I think one can also take steps to minimize the potential. If you are frequenting an OT and also want to avoid spoilers youregonnahaveabadtime.jpg I don't ever enter an OT (I don't even click on it) until I've played the game -- and that's with good reason.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a little bummed about the fact that the game's trailer SPOILERS, I think
showed the final boss of the game. I was thinking that the giant sea creature we kept seeing was the first boss, like most God of War games do, but it was actually the last boss.

I pretty much kept myself in the dark about Ascension, only watching one trailer, and no real game play snippets, only to have the trailer spoil a significant part of the game. It would have been so awesome to see that for the first time while playing. I spent the whole game looking for it, and then the realization dawned on me that
it was the final boss battle, which is why I hadn't fought it yet

At this point, any game where I'm even remotely interested in the narrative and game play, I'll have to avoid. I'm pretty much on a black out of every major game releasing this year, like The Last of Us.

I agree with a lot of folks saying that the latter half of the game is better than the first half.

rdrr gnr

The labryinth level in mp is fucking horrible.

please delete it and it replace it with something better please ssm.
I agree. The maps are just too busy. Stop with the gimmicky bullshit. Just give me an arena with some verticality and well-placed items. And stop punishing me from trying to cap objectives. Oh, hey, HERE'S A MISSILE THAT AIMS AT THE OBJECTIVE.
I'm a little bummed about the fact that the game's trailer SPOILERS, I think
showed the final boss of the game. I was thinking that the giant sea creature we kept seeing was the first boss, like most God of War games do, but it was actually the last boss.

I pretty much kept myself in the dark about Ascension, only watching one trailer, and no real game play snippets, only to have the trailer spoil a significant part of the game. It would have been so awesome to see that for the first time while playing. I spent the whole game looking for it, and then the realization dawned on me that
it was the final boss battle, which is why I hadn't fought it yet

At this point, any game where I'm even remotely interested in the narrative and game play, I'll have to avoid. I'm pretty much on a black out of every major game releasing this year, like The Last of Us.

I agree with a lot of folks saying that the latter half of the game is better than the first half.
You're right.
But I also like the twist: Alecto is the final boss. I was actually unable to put her squid/ink abilities together.
But, I also agree. Games blow their loads in the trailers. It's really fucking annoying.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I actually think the spoiler etiquette on GAF is little too lax. I've seen people completely ruin games, film, and television shows with an utter disregard for spoilers. Hell, a poster in OT gave away an entire character arc for someone in BSG -- in a thread title! But, I think one can also take steps to minimize the potential. If you are frequenting an OT and also want to avoid spoilers youregonnahaveabadtime.jpg I don't ever enter an OT (I don't even click on it) until I've played the game -- and that's with good reason.
And I agree with you but that shouldn't be the case, spolier tags exists for a reason hell a member was banned recently from the BioShock: Infinite OT for posting spoilers.

What is true and what do you mean with felt "very padded"?

The statement where Chariybdis would be in battle with Kratos 60% of the time. Imagine something like the Dahaka in PoP but far more intimate.

The game was "padded" because the lack of polish only serves to have seemingly random level design just to extend gameplay for the sake of. I wouldn't have minded any of this if the enemies complemented the combat system. It doesn't. Had this been a new type of combat game with different enemies that could work around it we can actually have a very unique hack-n-slash in out hands. But considering many supposed concessions were made regarding the game in general (Chariybdis battle), it's no surprise why the game turned out the way it is.

Jacob4815

The statement where Chariybdis would be in battle with Kratos 60% of the time. Imagine something like the Dahaka in PoP but far more intimate.

Not "60% of the time", they said that the E3 demo with the hinted battle VS Charibdis (they didn't show it) takes place around 60% through the story.

Then they removed this battle (E3 demo is different than the final build, they removed the beginning of the battle), and speculation is that the sea battle
was moved to the end of the game.

Only speculation ;)

The labryinth level in mp is fucking horrible.

please delete it and it replace it with something better please ssm.

Troy is probably my least favourite. Labyrinth I do enjoy for its spinning cube special :)

I feel like I enjoy the other maps much more for their uniqueness and event/weapon. Not so much a fan of the level being so spread out and hard to get around and how majority of action resides around middle of map only.

----------------------

For all those saying online is an add-on... know that I have barely gotten into the single player, the multi takes up so much of my time heh.

Now have a level 27 Zeus and a level 27 Broseidon. (Zeus being prime)

Also - Everyone who enjoys playing the multiplayer please fill out the survey from SSM. It includes what you want more of in future (DLC, features, etc), and what you like/dislike about the game currently. Personally, I am in love with this online game, but want more maps, more content at level 30, and more armour to make more hybrid characters. Small features here and there like stat tracking would be nice (or replays!!). This game has a lot of potential. I might do an online review eventually once i level up my Bro and Zeus to 30.

Thread on official boards, that has link to multiplayer survey

Nizz

I haven't gotten too far into the game I think, just got to
the Tower of Delphi
and defeated
the Cerberus
and damn this is one good looking game. :0

Maybe it's because I haven't played a GOW game in a long time but it's been damn fun so far. Been loving the environments and Kratos' model is insane. In spots where the game seems to run at 60fps god it looks incredible.

Game isn't without its faults though. Like people have mentioned, sometimes it's easy to lose track of Kratos when the camera zooms way back and enemies are all ganging up on you. Some enemies seem to have similar skin tone to Kratos and it makes things confusing. The sound issues are also annoying, dropouts or moments of complete silence are unfortunate.

Besides that though, the game is what I expected from a GOW game and I'm having a blast since I love the series.

f@luS

More than a member.
Maybe i ma a gow addict. I Bought IT saturday. Finished Sunday. Last game i could play 8h straight was gow 3 other games are 1h max.

Not perfect. Glitchy. But really fun. Heck even the multi is amazing imho fun-wise

Mik_Pad

Banned
Troy is probably my least favourite. Labyrinth I do enjoy for its spinning cube special :)

I feel like I enjoy the other maps much more for their uniqueness and event/weapon. Not so much a fan of the level being so spread out and hard to get around and how majority of action resides around middle of map only.

----------------------

For all those saying online is an add-on... know that I have barely gotten into the single player, the multi takes up so much of my time heh.

Now have a level 27 Zeus and a level 27 Broseidon. (Zeus being prime)

Also - Everyone who enjoys playing the multiplayer please fill out the survey from SSM. It includes what you want more of in future (DLC, features, etc), and what you like/dislike about the game currently. Personally, I am in love with this online game, but want more maps, more content at level 30, and more armour to make more hybrid characters. Small features here and there like stat tracking would be nice (or replays!!). This game has a lot of potential. I might do an online review eventually once i level up my Bro and Zeus to 30.

Thread on official boards, that has link to multiplayer survey
Sometimes it surprise me how fast people level up, there was someone else that claimed he already had all 4 characters at level 30.
I'm a Hades player at Level 17 and trying to max out as many armors and weapons I can.

So what did you guys end up liking more: Ascensions secondary weapons or GoW3's alternate primary weapons? I started out kinda bummed with the secondaries, but towards the end of the game I was loving adding sword or hammer strikes into my combos.

So what did you guys end up liking more: Ascensions secondary weapons or GoW3's alternate primary weapons? I started out kinda bummed with the secondaries, but towards the end of the game I was loving adding sword or hammer strikes into my combos.

never used both. lol

except for the
javelins
as they do force you to use them.

Kak.efes

Don't know what to make of multiplayer. I chose Hades as my allegiance. Got a guy down to 5%, only for him to pop up into the air, and kill me with some electricity attack (took me from 100% to 0%)

The claws in GoW3 were basically my main weapon. Their omission sucks.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Half way through god of war 1 HD and its still incredible. Far superior to Ascension and I am not even exaggerating here. The level design, pacing, story and music is far superior.

Also......why the hell didn't the Artemis blade make a return in the sequels? Its by far my favourite weapon in the god of war series.

What I would do for a god of war I and II remake next gen with next gen graphics, reworked animations and set pieces. I am salivating at the thought of it, but sadly it will never happen.

God of war II and II realy stood the test of time, both are timelss classics. But there is a certain charm about the original god of war that the sequels could not replicate, it Felt like an authentic Greek epic.

Endo Punk

Half way through god of war 1 HD and its still incredible. Far superior to Ascension and I am not even exaggerating here. The level design, pacing, story and music is far superior.

I shake my head when I see so many fellow gaffers rank Ascension above GOW1. I just beat it the other day and it's amazing just how much Jaffe got right, especially with the characterization of Kratos. Just perfect. Ascension showing Kratos's human side came off as soulless in comparison. Fans seriously need to play the first game again, I hate to say it but it's definitely underappreciated.

Helscream

Banned
Don't know what to make of multiplayer. I chose Hades as my allegiance. Got a guy down to 5%, only for him to pop up into the air, and kill me with some electricity attack (took me from 100% to 0%)

On a rare occasion something like this can happen. Some items/relics can boost magic/physical damage if used or if a certain requirement is met (like successful parry or grapple). So sometimes when those buffs are active a player can one shot you with a throw weapon or magic if your Health stat is low.

EDIT:Is it possible if we could set-up a GAF player list for the MP?

I am having a blast still, but its starting to suck playing solo most of the time. I play with Gibration when he is available. My Hades is Maxed out and my Ares is currently a 25 and climbing.

Mik_Pad

Banned
On a rare occasion something like this can happen. Some items/relics can boost magic/physical damage if used or if a certain requirement is met (like successful parry or grapple). So sometimes when those buffs are active a player can one shot you with a throw weapon or magic if your Health stat is low.

EDIT:Is it possible if we could set-up a GAF player list for the MP?

I am having a blast still, but its starting to suck playing solo most of the time. I play with Gibration when he is available. My Hades is Maxed out and my Ares is currently a 25 and climbing.
I would love to participate, if someone wants to play feel free to add me : mik_pad

TEH-CJ

Banned
I shake my head when I see so many fellow gaffers rank Ascension above GOW1. I just beat it the other day and it's amazing just how much Jaffe got right, especially with the characterization of Kratos. Just perfect. Ascension showing Kratos's human side came off as soulless in comparison. Fans seriously need to play the first game again, I hate to say it but it's definitely underappreciated.

Yup, just finished it yesterday and I am blown away at how amazing it still is. The pacing, level design and characterization of kratos is just perfect.

I would put god of war I and II up their with zelda, and halo CE as a timeless classic.

very dissapointed not to see the Artamis sword make an apperance again. Best weapon in the series. Actually, It was that satisfying to use, I used that as my primiary weapon instead of the blades of chaos.

Loudninja

Thank you for your understanding and patience. Good fortunes in your quest to conquer the Trial of Archimedes and complete Kratos’ ascension!

As noted, 1.03 also adds “Marks” for added customization to your Champion in multiplayer, and 8 additional new tints, including “Ash”. Now you have an opportunity to become a “Marked Warrior”. These are the six mark’s we’ve added in this update, with more to come:
  • Mark of the Thief, for HADES
  • Mark of the Trojan, for ALL
  • Mark of the Spartan, for ALL
  • Mark of the Legionnaire, for ARES
  • Mark of the Mercenary, for ZEUS
  • Mark of the Deep, for POSEIDON
Unfortunately, the time necessary to diagnose and explore audio issues cited by many of our fans during their play experiences made a solution in time for inclusion in the 1.03 update unfeasible. Despite this, we are still very aware of these reports, we continue to monitor user experiences in this regard, and we are working as quickly as possible to find a fix. We understand that this issue is of particular frustration for many of you in the community; your patience is greatly appreciated!

This is just the beginning of post-launch support for God of War: Ascension. As stated previously, we have an influx of DLC in the weeks ahead to support your strategic play-style, and an unannounced 4th weapon class. We’re also exploring other new enhancements we can’t disclose just yet, however you can try asking The Oracle (aka @SonySantaMonica) – you never know.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/26/god-of-war-ascension-update-1-03-deploys-today/

EGM92

So apparently I have a defective disc, I can't get past the Trials of Archimedes without it hardlocking my system during the fights. I've swapped out HDDs to see if it was crapping out, still froze, loaded up my save on another PS3 same problem. :(

Do any of you know whom to contact?

Endo Punk

Yup, just finished it yesterday and I am blown away at how amazing it still is. The pacing, level design and characterization of kratos is just perfect.

I would put god of war I and II up their with zelda, and halo CE as a timeless classic.

very dissapointed not to see the Artamis sword make an apperance again. Best weapon in the series. Actually, It was that satisfying to use, I used that as my primiary weapon instead of the blades of chaos.

I always had trouble blocking with that blade because there's no feedback when Kratos blocks with it or maybe just because it's quite slow, but it was satisfying seeing foes get cut in half or Minotaurs getting their heads chopped off when using the blade. What I'm really surprised by is the lack of Artemis in the story, it's a shame that every God in GOWI was given a bigger role except her. Seem like an odd exclusion...

Grisby

Got this from Redbox today. Opening didn't top God of War 3 for me but I'm enjoying myself. Did they fix the music stuff yet? DL a patch but the game seems pretty quiet at times.

Had to redo a chapter from the beginning too and make up 20min thanks to a show stopping bug in chapter 4. Luckily it didn't take me long to get back but you know, it breaks the mood.

Hoping this at least has a better end game then gow 3 did. I didn't dig on the Pandora's box stuff all that much.

Edit- Never mind about the audio stuff. Read the patch notes above. That's what I get for posting and trying to do three other things at one time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How does the audio issue manifest? I've never seen anything wrong with it, using whatever's a defaul (I think DTS). No loss of sync during cutscenes or anything.

thabiz

How does the audio issue manifest? I've never seen anything wrong with it, using whatever's a defaul (I think DTS). No loss of sync during cutscenes or anything.

sound completely disappears for me. sound effects, music, lines of dialogue, are missing. its horribly out of sync in certain places. when it does have sound, its one of the quietest games ive ever heard. i have to crank up my system to hear it. extremely muffled.

Jacob4815

I agree, it was a terrible idea.
I think that they changed their original plan... months ago they said that

the monster was Charibydis from the Odyssey, and we had to fight it 60% through the SP. And the E3 demo hinted this.
But in the final build Charybydis is a random giant mutation of Alecto (WTF Papy and Santa Monica??????), and the awesome sea environment is only Tysiphone's illusion in the Alecto's chamber.
It was totally out of place and context.

Really, really lame and disappointing.

Ehy, Todd Papy just confirmed my theory!!

BIG SPOILER about the ending:
https://twitter.com/ToddPapy/status/316614423684980736

So it's not speculation anymore... what a disappointment!!!!

Helscream

Banned
I really don't know what to think of the audio issue. I have experience some, but they were so few and far between. It didn't really hinder my experience.

EDIT: Holy shit this war paint is awesome. The more customization even if its just cosmetic is really nice.

Jacob4815

Wait, so the sea was just an illusion? stupid idea imo, and it kind of just spoiled the impact of that scene now.

The confirmed thing by Papy (now is not a theory anymore) is that

Charybdis was not planned to be the final boss of the game (Alecto mutation with Tysiphone's illusion), they changed it during production.

So probably the battle with Charybdis was meant to be at Delos in a "real" sea (the E3 demo hinted at that).

In the game we kill Alecto with a "fake" ship? LOL.

Mik_Pad

Banned
re: THAT spoiler.

doesn't affect the game for me.
If its an illusion, it makes sense even.
For me it was worth it from a visuals and gameplay standpoint.
I'm not sure about this but wasn't the other Fury (don't remember her name right now) the one that had the Ilusions powers or both Alecto and her had them?

BadAss2961

I thought it was obvious that the whole thing was
an illusion from Alecto and Tisiphone. When you finish off the monster, the illusion fades to reveal them all still in the chamber.

It makes perfect sense within Ascension's plot.

Grisby

Just a couple of impressions now that I've made to the inside of the (maybe halfway? I dunno)
Snake Tower

I feel like this game should be renamed to God of Chutes and Ladders because man, Kratos loves slides now. Secondly, I know you guys love your camera pullbacks but damn if I cant see what I'm fighting. I feel like the enemies take a lot more hits than they used to too.

However, it's still fun and I lost myself in it for a couple of hours tonight. I've always liked the lonely atmosphere of just being Kratos running thought greek mythology inspired environments.

Top Bottom