• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Loving the MP, still working my way around the level objectives though like the Labyrinth spinning cube. How do you unlock the objectives?

I'm not sure what I'm doing in the Bog or Troy though.

I love the way you can ignore those while everyone is busy fighting for them and cap a couple of team objectives

Also think I may have joined the wrong team, Ares seems a little one-dimensional but I ain't abandoning it just yet

Should have stolen the CoD post-game stuff imo, where your bar goes up with your match achievements, so I can see how much I'm earning for each facet of my game without reading it.

When is the Rise of the Warrior stuf gonna be available. I thought someone said the 25th? Also, was the tattoo stuff part of the first patch?

Oneself

I finished the SP today, the last few hours were much, much better than the beginning.
It's just sad to have the feeling that it's been rushed. The MP must have taken more ressources than they though it would... so, it's flawed, in many many ways, but it's enjoyable. It's still better than most action adventure hack&slash whatever games out there, the combat system is really solid, the puzzles were mostly awesome too but I expected to be blown away by the usual Santa Monica quality and that didn't happen. Too bad, I expect greatness for the next GOW.
Oh and yeah, it's also one of the most visually impressive games on the market... at times better looking than GOW3, other times not.

GOW2>GOW>GOW3>GOW:A

Makes me wonder what the hell have they been doing since GOW3 =|

BadAss2961

Loving the MP, still working my way around the level objectives though like the Labyrinth spinning cube. How do you unlock the objectives?
I've played for a number of hours and still haven't bothered to figure out the labyrinth one.

For Troy... When prompted, just head to the catapult in the center of the map and press R1 to use it. You'll have to tap circle for a few seconds to spin it so that it can fire.

Rattles

I've played for a number of hours and still haven't bothered to figure out the labyrinth one.

For Troy... When prompted, just head to the catapult in the center of the map and press R1 to use it. You'll have to tap circle for a few seconds to spin it so that it can fire.

Labyrinth is lame. Just spins the middle cube and kills everyone on it but everyone just toddles off and gets capture points...

All of them are kinda lame compared to Desert of Lost Soul.

BadAss2961

Labyrinth is lame. Just spins the middle cube and kills everyone on it but everyone just toddles off and gets capture points...

All of them are kinda lame compared to Desert of Lost Soul.
Not only is killing Polyphemus awesome, but the way the game can end in a cinematic of it really separates it from the other levels.

Rattles

Not only is killing Polyphemus awesome, but the way the game can end in a cinematic of it really separates it from the other levels.

Yep really feels like its the objective you really gotta try and do while the others are just a nice points bonus. Hope the new maps feel as epic.

Does firing the catapult for final points finish in a cinematic?

Ok, is SSM planning on fixing the infinite loading screens that happen randomly throughout the game? I'm currently on my third playthrough and I'm playing on hard difficulty and it always does that right after I beat the first wave at the trials of archimedes. I don't know what to do, I can't take this any longer :( This also happened at the end of chapter 26 after the puzzle.

Noi

Just beat the game. I spent a long time without playing the game, which for some reason made me able to play the game that much better when I started it again. Did the Trials on my third try (Hard mode), I was expecting something a lot harder after the horror tales I'd read up (it's a pretty harsh gauntlet nonetheless, but I thought the previous encounter with the Elephantaurs and mobs was harder.)

All in all, I liked it! It got better on it's second half and once you have more elements to play with, and the finale is pretty much tops in the series as far as I'm concerned. I /really/ wanted Tisiphone dead by the end of that.
KuGsj.gif

DeVeAn

So I went ahead and played this again 3 days after beating it. Went on Hard and for some reason it was easier then the first playthrough on normal. Next thing I know I got the Platinum, played GoW3 right after and get the platinum on that as well. Something just clicked I guess.

GoW 3 is still great but Ascension feels like it requires more skill. Going to finish Ghost of Sparta on Hard for that Platinum. Then Chains of Olympus. Already have 1&2 done for years ago.

Helscream

Banned
The more I play MP -- the more I am able to see the cracks and flaws. It just feels like a mess sometimes.

The real issue IMO is the horrid match making. I just lose my tenth game in a row simply because my teammates are freaking retarded. So when its you versus 3 other players it's pointless. You just get stun locked. 1 on 1 though I think the game is pretty balanced.

When you have a good game and a good team the game because really fun, but holy shit is it so frustrating and terrible when you just get ganked by 3 players back to back.

OSHAN

I can't get over how god damn gorgeous this game has been. The locales have been varied so far, but done in a cohesive manner.

I just entered that snake temple. I forget the name. Shit looks amazing.

But, stop pulling the fucking camera back. Christ. I'm riding that snake around and the camera goes so far back you can't see shit, and I'm fighting several goats. What's the point of that? I'm pissed I can't see--I'm not soaking in the scale.

Just reached
Apollo's Foot
The SP is really good so far, feels great when you get a grip on the new controls and rage meter

I've started using Ares' Blades to get the rage up, then Hades rage attack. Yet to unlock Poseidon and Zeus' magic attacks

LastNac

IBut, stop pulling the fucking camera back. Christ. I'm riding that snake around and the camera goes so far back you can't see shit, and I'm fighting several goats. What's the point of that? I'm pissed I can't see--I'm not soaking in the scale.

I don't know what you are talking about man, I personally loved the camera work during those sequences.

Jacob4815

Makes me wonder what the hell have they been doing since GOW3 =|

Probably the most talented members of the team are working on the new project on PS4.

The rest was focused on the bulding of the Ascension multiplayer... they completely underestimate the SP, they said that was their "bread and butter", but in any case it needed more work and ambition.

Will they be supporting multiplayer in the long run with patches and DLC, new modes, costumes etc? Any word on this?

They'd better patch host migration in, hopefully we'll get new maps as well

The low number of proper maps led me to see how many maps MW2 came with.

16, before DLC :O

OSHAN

I don't know what you are talking about man, I personally loved the camera work during those sequences.

It would be great if Kratos wasn't losing rage meter because I can't see shit. I'm playing on Hard so maybe on Normal you can just mash through that shit, but regardless, I find it annoying. No reason to be so far back during combat.

Melchiah

I just completed the game yesterday on easy. The much maligned trial was a walk in the park on that difficulty setting with maxed weapons, and went through on the first try, unlike the first long fight against the goatmen after
Ouroboros
had been acquired. I still hate some of the longer platforming sections with a passion, but overall I really liked the game. Although, I guess it didn't have quite the same effect as GoW3 had, but that's kinda understandable for a follow-up to a game of that caliber. The last fight was epic though.

EDIT: I was lucky enough to not have any significant sound issues, when I played with the older PS3 headset. Only towards the end there were a couple of sections, where the dialogue came either late, or the last words were cut out by the loading of the next scene.

BadAss2961

The more I play MP -- the more I am able to see the cracks and flaws. It just feels like a mess sometimes.
Like?
The real issue IMO is the horrid match making. I just lose my tenth game in a row simply because my teammates are freaking retarded. So when its you versus 3 other players it's pointless. You just get stun locked. 1 on 1 though I think the game is pretty balanced.

When you have a good game and a good team the game because really fun, but holy shit is it so frustrating and terrible when you just get ganked by 3 players back to back.

But this is how matchmaking has always worked, especially in anything objective based that isn't team deathmatch. Playing with randoms will always get you mixed results.

Helscream

Banned
Like?

But this is how matchmaking has always worked, especially in anything objective based that isn't team deathmatch. Playing with randoms will always get you mixed results.

Well yea this is true I was just venting from frustration. My issue with match making was how long it takes and how wonky it acts when you have a party and it keeps diving your team instead of just waiting for 4 other players.

Grisby

Goddamn, just had another prompt that wont show up. Reloaded the checkpoint and nothing. Probably have to redo the chapter tomorrow.

Kak.efes

I think I've had my fill of this multiplayer. The matchmaking is broken, and on too many occasions I find myself on a team down one player. Maybe I picked the wrong class, but Hades seems really weak. Damage output is lacking, and there have been so many instances where I'll just die instantaneously.

I could just be bad.

Toppot

I think I've had my fill of this multiplayer. The matchmaking is broken, and on too many occasions I find myself on a team down one player. Maybe I picked the wrong class, but Hades seems really weak. Damage output is lacking, and there have been so many instances where I'll just die instantaneously.

I could just be bad.

Unfortunately this is the case. All the gods are really well balanced, except a couple of combo tricks that Hades can do. It's just about playing more and learning techniques and getting good relic and item combos.

If you want high damage go with Ares. Hades is quite strong once you unlock his sword and some Phobos armour.

The matchmaking is quite bad though.

rdrr gnr

Like?

What is a defining feature of how this game plays? Well, very low kill and death counts. Getting over 10 kills per game is an amazing game. So, why does that matter? It means every life and every spawn is sacred. But the game doesn't treat your life with care. There are just elements of utter nonsense that are infuriating. These ring-outs are absolute nonsense. There is no rhyme or reason on occasion. Sometimes I am utterly dumbfounded when I get knocked out. Traversal is generally a hassle outside of Desert of Lost Souls. I mean that Labyrinth map is an absolute mess. And, as Helsceam mentioned, matchmaking is atrocious. It's unacceptable.

Helscream

Banned

I could just be bad.

I started with Hades, its more a trickster play. You have abilities that can help you get into and out of combat. Remember if you being stun-locked use your Item (L2) to break out. Certain weapons allow you to teleport, turn invisible etc. One of the most awesome weapons IMO is the Lance of Hades. It allows you to create a sphere which will heal you and allies and drain enemy health.

Learn where the wells of health/mana are as well as places to pickup secondary weapons. Learning the maps I would say is the most critical step. You have to be a bit patient, but sometimes it best to watch you enemy make a move then strike. Using you Kick O or Shoulder Bash R3+O really helps interrupting your opponent from just button smashing you.

BadAss2961

What is a defining feature of how this game plays? Well, very low kill and death counts. Getting over 10 kills per game is an amazing game. So, why does that matter? It means every life and every spawn is sacred. But the game doesn't treat your life with care. There are just elements of utter nonsense that are infuriating. These ring-outs are absolute nonsense. There is no rhyme or reason on occasion. Sometimes I am utterly dumbfounded when I get knocked out. Traversal is generally a hassle outside of Desert of Lost Souls. I mean that Labyrinth map is an absolute mess. And, as Helsceam mentioned, matchmaking is atrocious. It's unacceptable.
It's simple... Either you missed a jump, or someone knocked you out. If you're standing by a ledge, someone can easily THIS IS SPARTA kick you off it, or use some sort of combo or magic attack that can also bounce you out. So mind your surroundings. Always stay on the inside of a battle taking place near a ledge, and learn to ring out people yourself.

Traversal, like any other game with it, is easy once you learn the maps. I'm an expert at fleeing because of this, and often have games where I don't die at all.

rdrr gnr

It's simple... Either you missed a jump, or someone knocked you out. If you're standing by a ledge, someone can easily THIS IS SPARTA kick you off it, or use some sort of combo or magic attack that can also bounce you out. So mind your surroundings. Always stay on the inside of a battle taking place near a ledge, and learn to ring out people yourself.

Traversal, like any other game with it, is easy once you learn the maps. I'm an expert at fleeing because of this, and often have games where I don't die at all.
Both of these points fail at addressing the erratic nature of the MP system.

It's not simple. The distance and angle at which one can sometimes be knocked out is ridiculous. It doesn't feel physics* based -- it's not like your swing has momentum which is calculated against the speed at which you are running towards the hammer. It's subject to the scripted nature of the SP and the GoW games in general. It's simply not good. It feels almost binary*. Either this random ass fucking swing is going to knock me across the map or just bounce me into the corner -- irrespective of my position on the map. There are times where I knock out people and I genuinely feel bad. Like -- I had no intention of ever knocking that person out. And that's the problem. It doesn't always feel absolutely deliberate. It's like when you get a random headshot in a shooter. The knock-outs contrast against the simpler more consistent nature of the basic attacks.

And, again. I know the maps -- I have two level 30 characters. And no -- traversal =/= map knowledge. That Troy map has a million different gimmicks blocking me from getting where I want. Why shouldn't I be able to cap an objective if I am attempting to help my team. Instead I have to wait for this cyclops to finish his same stupid pattern -- over and over again before I can turn the point. It's trying too hard to appeal to this philosophy of emulating aspects of the SP. Yet their best design (1v1 encounters) work because they are completely removed from single player combat. They are made for MP.

R1 is over used. There are times on Labyrinth where I want to finish or brutal kill an enemy will R1 but instead it will fling me up the fucking chain -- back to the top of the map. The maps are terrible outside of Desert. Other maps are large enough to where you can get isolated from teammates and just get gangbanged with no hope. On Desert, I can just call out to my friends "Bottom" or "Top Left" and in three seconds I have a fighting chance. And, again, in Labyrinth (fuck that map is awful) -- when you first jump off -- that isn't based on distance and speed. It seems like some basic threshold. Either "yes" you are able to make that jump or "no" you are not -- even if he should physically be able to make that jump. I think there is even an invisible wall there if you time it just right (I may be mistaken).

BadAss2961

And, again. I know the maps -- I have two level 30 characters. And no -- traversal =/= map knowledge. That Troy map has a million different gimmicks blocking me from getting where I want. Why shouldn't I be able to cap an objective if I am attempting to help my team. Instead I have to wait for this cyclops to finish his same stupid pattern -- over and over again before I can turn the point. It's trying too hard to appeal to this philosophy of emulating aspects of the SP. Yet their best design (1v1 encounters) work because they are completely removed from single player combat. They are made for MP
The Troy map uses that heal/decay amulet from the SP. It spawns in both bases. The only thing keeping you from reaching the objective there is someone decaying the bridge, which is all part of that level's strategy. If the objective is available, and you decay the bridge right before jumping off of it, only the player with the other amulet can recreate the path to reach that area to stop you.

As for capturing altars, there are three different paths to get to the ones in each base. The top path with the trap, the bottom area with the chain-swing to get up top, and the middle with the gate. The amulet can only shut the gate and enable/disable the trap. However, the trap is still fairly easy to get through if you sprint and do a couple bunny hops through it.
R1 is over used. There are times on Labyrinth where I want to finish or brutal kill an enemy will R1 but instead it will fling me up the fucking chain -- back to the top of the map. The maps are terrible outside of Desert. Other maps are large enough to where you can get isolated from teammates and just get gangbanged with no hope. On Desert, I can just call out to my friends "Bottom" or "Top Left" and in three seconds I have a fighting chance. And, again, in Labyrinth (fuck that map is awful) -- when you first jump off -- that isn't based on distance and speed. It seems like some basic threshold. Either "yes" you are able to make that jump or "no" you are not -- even if he should physically be able to make that jump. I think there is even an invisible wall there if you time it just right (I may be mistaken).

These are the only points where I understand where you're coming from. Your first point is something that happens, but not commonly because the timing has to be perfect for one of the chains to interrupt your brutal kill. You also have to be in the air to latch onto one of the still ones. It sucks when it happens, but it's just another situation where you have to keep mind of your surroundings.

As for your second point, you're absolutely right about that part.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Both of these points fail at addressing the erratic nature of the MP system.

It's not simple. The distance and angle at which one can sometimes be knocked out is ridiculous. It doesn't feel physics* based -- it's not like your swing has momentum which is calculated against the speed at which you are running towards the hammer. It's subject to the scripted nature of the SP and the GoW games in general. It's simply not good. It feels almost binary*. Either this random ass fucking swing is going to knock me across the map or just bounce me into the corner -- irrespective of my position on the map. There are times where I knock out people and I genuinely feel bad. Like -- I had no intention of ever knocking that person out. And that's the problem. It doesn't always feel absolutely deliberate. It's like when you get a random headshot in a shooter. The knock-outs contrast against the simpler more consistent nature of the basic attacks.

And, again. I know the maps -- I have two level 30 characters. And no -- traversal =/= map knowledge. That Troy map has a million different gimmicks blocking me from getting where I want. Why shouldn't I be able to cap an objective if I am attempting to help my team. Instead I have to wait for this cyclops to finish his same stupid pattern -- over and over again before I can turn the point. It's trying too hard to appeal to this philosophy of emulating aspects of the SP. Yet their best design (1v1 encounters) work because they are completely removed from single player combat. They are made for MP.

Wow I agree with everything you listed.

The multiplayer is fun no doubt, but at times its just one massive clusterfuck on screen. And I often have troubles finding my character in the midst of all the chaos.

rdrr gnr

Sorry if this is not the thread to ask.

Was there a dummy account people shared to download the Last of Us demo?
The demo is not out yet -- and I believe it is linked to the game disc. I may be totally off.
Wow I agree with everything you listed.

The multiplayer is fun no doubt, but at times its just one massive clusterfuck on screen. And I often have troubles finding my character in the midst of all the chaos.
I'm trying to figure out if the game is truly fun or is just extremely refreshing in the face so many FPS games. I agree the base mechanics really do work. But it just feels like too much sometimes. I wish the co-op mode was a bit more interesting. There is a ton of potential there. What I can say is that the MP is by no means tacked-on.

rCIZZLE

Finally got around to playing this and I'm not feeling it at all. The story feels empty, the combat changes are awkward, and even the most common of enemy is incredibly annoying to fight. Pretty huge drop from GoW3, a game which I often call flawless. Spamming R1 -> O seems to be the most effective way to kill a pack of enemies. :\

Helscream

Banned

This I can agree with you to a degree. I notice sometimes I will get hit with the Mace/Hammer by a player and sometimes I will just fly and insane distance off the map. Other times I just get knocked back and have a brief moment of invulnerability. Also there are times when a player will kick me and knock me off the level. Were as when I push a enemy near the edge and try to kick him off it never happens. I truly think it is a chanced/binary based action that decided whether or not you have a ring out. Which I am glad you mentioned that because now I think I understand how sometimes I get knocked out the ring in the most ridiculous ways. This is something that really needs tweaking.

R1 is over used. There are times on Labyrinth where I want to finish or brutal kill an enemy will R1 but instead it will fling me up the fucking chain -- back to the top of the map.

I cannot tell you how many fucking times I have tried to grapple a player for brutal kill and I get on the ballista or hook onto the green grapple points. That is really frustrating. Also I have noticed (which I think is lag related) is when you knock your opponent in the air and you try to grapple them, but nothing happens. Or they fall to the ground faster than normal or fly extremely high in the air to were you cannot grapple them. Whatever causes this to happen annoys the shit out of me.

And, again, in Labyrinth (fuck that map is awful) -- when you first jump off -- that isn't based on distance and speed. It seems like some basic threshold. Either "yes" you are able to make that jump or "no" you are not -- even if he should physically be able to make that jump. I think there is even an invisible wall there if you time it just right (I may be mistaken).

The main issue I have with the Labyrinth level is how when it divides itself up you literally cannot traverse anywhere across the map. You are basically stuck where you are. I like the idea of the geography constantly changing, but being severed off from the rest of the map is really lame and it breaks up the gameplay. You literally have to just wait on the side lines till you can join the battle again.

I also noticed the jumping issue as well. Sometimes when you know damn well you can make the jump you fall off anyways. If the cube is activated to flip upside down you literally have to get off the cube ASAP otherwise you will hit that invisible wall and die. Especially if you jump and barely miss the top tier jump from the top tier. You should be able to make the Second or Third Tier, but you lose you momentum and just fall straight down.

Overall I still think the multiplayer is fantastic. I just hope SSM does some more tweaking and balancing before its too late.

Ein Bear

Just finished, absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed how the game had quite a few fun puzzles, my biggest problem with 3 was how light it was on stuff like that.

That final boss fight is the single most mindblowing thing I've seen all generation. It's insane.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The multiplayer is a fucking mess. Its a big giant chaotic mess on screen and I just realized I am not having fun at all.

People are exploiting the magic system, the tethering system is completely fucking random and broken. The constant ring outs are stupid, and at times there is little to no skill involved when you can just spam magic and special attacks and just rely on that to make a kill.

this multiplayer believe it or not would be a lot better if it was more about melee combat and less about stupid fucking magic. Its not fun, its messy and stupid.

atleast one on one there is some strategy and skill involed because it comes down to who ever is more skilled with parry and strafing, but when you get gang banged with lightning and purple shit on screen you have no fucking hope. I'll just put my controller down because there is no point trying to do anything.

the matchmaking is a joke, the constant lag is beyond frustrating and I have often found my self in a match where everyone is green and no one could hit eachother.

in this current state, its unfinished, its broken and it needs to be patched.

Toppot

Anyone else find the Olympus level in 2 player Trial of the Gods ridiculously difficult?

Can't even kill the first Cerberus in time

I guess you are talking about The Forum of Hercules? (That's the only one with Cerberus' in.) It's probably the second hardest, after Rotunda of Olympus.

Trick, as with all the Trial of the Gods, is to shoulder charge enemies (L3 + O). In Hercules that's into the spiked walls, trap and off the edge once they open up.

As for the Cerberus' you can really go 2 ways, both be high damage characters and and nail it, or freeze it and smash it. Using the spear throw world items helps a lot. Riding it when it has a golden Halo is ok and killing it with a Red halo is fine to, you will have a good amount of time. But it might make you miss the Gold time on the round (The Bronze/Silver/Gold rely on time that has actually passed, not time on the clock.)

Protip: If you slow down an enemy (Posiden's Hammer's L1 + [] for example) then freeze them, they will stay frozen for 3-5 times as long. Giving you more time to smash them up.

BHK3

Banned
The multiplayer is a fucking mess. Its a big giant chaotic mess on screen and I just realized I am not having fun at all.

People are exploiting the magic system, the tethering system is completely fucking random and broken. The constant ring outs are stupid, and at times there is little to no skill involved when you can just spam magic and special attacks and just rely on that to make a kill.

this multiplayer believe it or not would be a lot better if it was more about melee combat and less about stupid fucking magic. Its not fun, its messy and stupid.

atleast one on one there is some strategy and skill involed because it comes down to who ever is more skilled with parry and strafing, but when you get bang banged with lightning and purple shit on screen you have no fucking hope. I'll just put my controller down because there is no point trying to do anything.

the matchmaking is a joke, the constant lag is beyond frustrating and I have often found my self in a match where everyone is green and no one could hit eachother.

in this current state, its unfinished, its broken and it needs to be patched.

Magic was a mess and broken in the beta as well, really sad to see nothing changed but not surprised at all either.

rdrr gnr

These fucking death streak chains are HORRENDOUS. Again -- this game does not give a fuck. The support class is severely underpowered. There are too many animations that you can interrupt and the amount of health and magic doled out is not worth the enormous effort of being in the vicinity of your teammates. There is no incentive to play selflessly.

JABEE

I don't know how they can launch a game that relies so much on its audio for set pieces to ship with the sound the way it is. Then to wait so long to patch it is annoying. I think difficulty in one section of the game should be of less concern than awful audio mixing that drops sound effects and music in huge moments.

I won't play the game until it is fixed, because I want to experience the game the way it was meant to be played. It's just disappointing to wait almost three weeks and running now for the game's audio to work.

I played through the beginning of the game just a little past the demo, but I don't want to go further until it is fixed. I hope a fix is coming soon.

I don't know how they can launch a game that relies so much on its audio for set pieces to ship with the sound the way it is. Then to wait so long to patch it is annoying. I think difficulty in one section of the game should be of less concern than awful audio mixing that drops sound effects and music in huge moments.

I won't play the game until it is fixed, because I want to experience the game the way it was meant to be played. It's just disappointing to wait almost three weeks and running now for the game's audio to work.

I played through the beginning of the game just a little past the demo, but I don't want to go further until it is fixed. I hope a fix is coming soon.

Yeah I can't decide what I'm more surprised about: that a studio as renowned for its polish as SSM would ship a game with such a glaring issue, or that it would remain unpatched over two weeks from released.

Especially since, having played it with the pulse headphones, I know how fucking amazing the audio is.

The Medusas are not the hard part. Just block and parry them while using time freeze judiciously to focus on one of them at a time.

Also, make sure to active orkos magic before going in for a QTE - let him do some damage while you're invincible, and given those are long QTEs and frequent in the fight, that constitutes a major component of round one where you're invincible while still doing damage.

thuway

Santa Monica, I know you are reading this, but you guys need to make something new. I really want to see a Zelda inspired dungeon crawler. You have the art designers for it. Multiplayer is not your forte.

Top Bottom