• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Jacob4815

Sony Santa Monica are really great developers and Todd Papy looks a very honest guy to me.
I would like to see their participation on this thread, they wrote many times but they all disappeared after the game launch.

Probably now they are disappointed too, because they thought to release an "AAA GOW" and something went wrong... but i think that the best they could do is a stronger interaction with us.

They could reply to the main concerns... glitches, flat SP, multiplayer, and we could give them a constructive feedback to create a great GOW4 .
A lot of fans don't care about multiplayer... it's a nice addition, but they should focus on something else.
The start could be the release of some episodic SP DLC,with the suggestions of the fans (they have great and amazing ideas!), in the (long) wait of a new episode.

Ascension probably is the weakest episode of the saga, but i think that GOW is not dead and it could resurrect on the PS4 like a Phoenix!

I hope that the SSM guys are reading this thread.

Darknight

Completed the Trial of Archimedes first go on hard. Having a clear strategy is paramount. It also led to this:

Whats the best way to Platinum GOW:A? I beat it on normal and got most of the trophies. Im gonna beat it on hard now. So just start new game and go from there??(Not new game+ if I read correctly here as you cant get trophies that way) Thanx.

Do the Relic of Harmony's effects stack if more than one person has it on a team?

Also, in Trial of the Gods some of the kill animations last longer than the bonus time you get for doing them

f@luS

More than a member.
I love dm and td
But the point of leveling isnt there. Why my level 15 ares Armor is better than the lvl 30
One ?

But l Dont think Mp is Broken. I Win 9/10 of my match. Play cool dont smash button dont guard and escape with good timing and there IT is

Mik_Pad

Banned
I love dm and td
But the point of leveling isnt there. Why my level 15 ares Armor is better than the lvl 30
One ?

But l Dont think Mp is Broken. I Win 9/10 of my match. Play cool dont smash button dont guard and escape with good timing and there IT is
Because by the time you are level 30 you are a better player so you don't need the extra stats and you can use it to show off.

But seriously, I haven't seen the stats for the Ares armours but maybe they have different stats. Maybe one is better in a different situation.

Dude Abides

Banned
Sounds like you're lazy. You can apply this to any action combat game.

Nope. Bayonetta and the Arkham games are two that don't rely on just throwing wave after wave of the same enemy at you and thus don't suffer from this flaw. Previous GOWs had it a bit but not to this degree.

BHK3

Banned
Nope. Bayonetta and the Arkham games are two that don't rely on just throwing wave after wave of the same enemy at you and thus don't suffer from this flaw. Previous GOWs had it a bit but not to this degree.

Square Triangle Square for Bayonetta

Throw or mash Square for Batman.

Please don't act like this, you should know better. Kratos is at his weakest in this game anyway(through gameplay and through story)

A lot of the complaints about this game seem strange to me. It seems like a lot of people have came to this game with the idea that it being a non-numbered prequel already puts it in a lower spot. People saying the story is unnecessary don't make sense. Was MGS3's story necessary? Was DMC3's story necessary? No. Both were prequels that many to this day say were the best in their franchise.

The game definitely has some issues. The audio bug being the biggest one. The complaints about the camera pulling far back are understandable, but they only occur during 3-4 short segments in the game. I personally had no problem with the fights during it.

What upsets me the most though is people complaining about the Trials of Archimedes. That segment was not that hard. It goes to show how people's perspective on games have changed a lot. I know a lot of people who could never beat level 3 of DMC3 which involved defeating the ice Cerberus. To those people, that's where DMC3 ends for them. The Trials isn't nearly as hard as any DMC3 stage however. It isn't broken. You just gotta do some blocking and crowd control. I wish they didn't cave and give in to complaints. The fact that it took 6 hours and assistance for Sessler to get past that part of the game makes me care less for his opinion as far as the gameplay goes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's by far the most effective. Perhaps if there were other enemies I'd have to vary it up.

It can feel that way sometimes, but it's not so effective that you should bore yourself by using it exclusively. Can't disagree that they throw way too many herds of goatmen at you. Even so, you can fight them any way you want.

Square Triangle Square for Bayonetta

Throw or mash Square for Batman.

Please don't act like this, you should know better. Kratos is at his weakest in this game anyway(through gameplay and through story)

People that complain about S,S,T being over powered are usually the same people that complain the Trials are too hard since they are constantly getting hit by enemies.

The most effective strategy is to build rage. S, S, T won't do that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I encountered so many hades players exploiting the cool down and special abilities. Its ridiculous!

spam L1 triangle with almost unlimited cool down with a radious that is as wide an atomic bomb shock wave, and there is fuck all you can do it about it. Make matters worse you are left in a stunned state until you die and respawn. Crazy stuff.

I encountered so many hades players exploiting the cool down and special abilities. Its ridiculous!

spam L1 triangle with almost unlimited cool down with a radious that is as wide an atomic bomb shock wave, and there is fuck all you can do it about it. Make matters worse you are left in a stunned state until you die and respawn. Crazy stuff.

I'm one of those Hades players. All you have to do is allow me to attack you first and properly block/dodge it. Then I'm screwed because my basic attacks suck.

Drencrom

Sorry bro, they really have to nerf Hades. Stopped using the hammer of Hades today though, it's all about the Chronic Blade now (finally got all the fragments)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfYTLZJJBk

Whats the best way to Platinum GOW:A? I beat it on normal and got most of the trophies. Im gonna beat it on hard now. So just start new game and go from there??(Not new game+ if I read correctly here as you cant get trophies that way) Thanx.
Yeah, that's what I did. Make a new profile though.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm one of those Hades players. All you have to do is allow me to attack you first and properly block/dodge it. Then I'm screwed because my basic attacks suck.

Its really hard to block and dodge you though man. Its hard whith so much cooldown, and block breaking attack moves combined with magic attacks. Seriously there are times where I just put down my controller, have a sip of coffee and txt my girlfriend until I respwawn. Not much else you can do haha

The Medusas are not the hard part. Just block and parry them while using time freeze judiciously to focus on one of them at a time.

Finally beat it! And completed the game. The time freeze is a life saver. Basically stop one enemy and beat it up to fill your rage meter then unleash. Pretty cool!

But yeah like everyone said, the single player story is underwhelming. The parts are better than the whole, is a better way to put it. There was thankfully no annoying bits like that giant box crap from GoW3, and to be frank, I thoroughly enjoyed the sequences where the camera pulls way out. It gave me a sense of exhilaration and made Kratos ever more crazy badass he is. He gives no fucks on top of giant mecha snakes. This is why I love God of War, set pieces that push the console to breaking point. They did a great job on making a God of War game, but the story was so nonsensical. Todd, if you guys are reading this, the original God of War by David Jaffe did the humanizing of Kratos exponentially better. I mean, that game begins with Kratos committing suicide. I don't know why you guys felt you needed to re-do this part. Better scenario would have been to focus on Kratos' armies and conquests in Greece, before he asked Ares for help.

Anyone else think they should give the multiplayer the free to play treatment? Something like limit you to one god and level 10, then pay to unlock various things like Uncharted 3? Not that the player base really needs a boost, but I'm having a hard time convincing some friends how good this is.

Anyone else think they should give the multiplayer the free to play treatment? Something like limit you to one god and level 10, then pay to unlock various things like Uncharted 3? Not that the player base really needs a boost, but I'm having a hard time convincing some friends how good this is.

Yes, I was thinking the other day that they will probably do this. Makes a lot of sense.

Toppot

While we're bitching about multiplayer. The charged attacks on Sword of Zeus are ridiculous. They can fire like 6 unblockable and very powerful shots. It's stupider than the Hades hammer stomp.

Also people just popping the Fist of Ares to hit you right off the map, so annoying.

Its really hard to block and dodge you though man. Its hard whith so much cooldown, and block breaking attack moves combined with magic attacks. Seriously there are times where I just put down my controller, have a sip of coffee and txt my girlfriend until I respwawn. Not much else you can do haha

It's not hard to block of dodge if that is your initial goal. It is hard when you've got weak attack, strong attack, magic, special attacks, block, dodge all in your head. Just narrow it down to block or dodge. If it is the weak special attack, block. If it is the strong special attack, dodge. Once that's done, give them the business.

Nizz

I've been finding the puzzles in this GOW kind of clever. I'm embarrassed to admit that I got stuck on one really briefly. It was at
Delos Landing?
It's the puzzle where
you have to heal then decay a chain in a room with those huge wooden cogs to get to that point with the glowing green marker that lets you swing above.

The only thing that threw me off was that
I didn't realize the switch on the floor you pull on you could actually push in the opposite direction also. I pulled but I never pushed. :/

Still loving the game though.

gdt

I think I just hit a gamebreaking bug. After you get the time medalion thing, when you use it, the camera gets stuck on the geometry you just changed around. First time it happened I had to restart at checkpoint. This time, the game saves right after you cross the bridge...but the camera is stuck. So when I restart at checkpoint it just picks right up where I am...with the stuck camera. Can't advance at all.

This game is so weak.

Edit: Annnnd this exact checkpoint is the start of a chapter. So Id have to go back to replay the last chapter to work up here again. I'll do this shit way later. Sorry GOW.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think I just hit a gamebreaking bug. After you get the time medalion thing, when you use it, the camera gets stuck on the geometry you just changed around. First time it happened I had to restart at checkpoint. This time, the game saves right after you cross the bridge...but the camera is stuck. So when I restart at checkpoint it just picks right up where I am...with the stuck camera. Can't advance at all.

This game is so weak.

Chapter select.

Sid

Wrapped up my third playthrough a while ago,I'll be starting up a vanilla VH one soon but so far the game has been fairly bug free.It's unpatched BTW.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
For some reason I am bored with this game, not because it is necessarily boring but because for some reason I just am not just not getting it, I've played through GoW1/2/3 without any real problems.

I'm only in chapter 6 and I am entirely bored of not being able to finish or really start any sort of combo without getting interrupted, I just picked up the
Ice of Poseidon
and I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing besides killing these goat guys; I try to combo and get the meter up but get interrupted, I can't dodge mid animation so can't get away from them breaking what I am doing, and as much as I flail my swords around they just stand then like I farted at them instead of smacking them with a weapon. And as much as I try to dodge it is never quite far enough with some goat man that was about to hit me anyway from my previous position for some reason, that or one just kind of rotates around and hits me anyway.

I'd love to love this game I really would, but at this point it really isn't clicking with me like previous titles. I don't doubt these problems were there with previous titles but for some reason I can't ever remember having the same problem at all.

Still, I will continue on, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to be doing something special like with the
Fire of Aries
and it's magic attack or just getting past these guys, but with my experience of previous games I am having a problem with just that, maybe I am just not in the right mood for a God of War game right now or something. And I know it might be a silly point, but I feel if every jump that you have to do without it being a QTE has to be a double jump, then what is the point of the normal jump generally when you can just make that the same height.

Are there any guides out there for multiplayer? Just starting and I feel like everyone just knows more than me haha. I'm using Poseidon and a spear...?

BurningNad

Are there any guides out there for multiplayer? Just starting and I feel like everyone just knows more than me haha. I'm using Poseidon and a spear...?

Came in to post this. I feel like everything I do is ineffective. I know I need to learn combos and all but, man. So frustrating.

Tonight great feats were accomplished in GOW:A. I finally got my first character to level 30, Poseidon (though I haven't been playing him exclusively, got Zeus to level 21). I also met a cool dude in Trial of the Gods, his ID was dosage something. Anyways played through the rotation a couple times and then everything started clicking and we were finally able to beat all the arenas, felt good.

For those curious, I was using full Poseidon Battle Armor (the last one) with the level 25 Poseidon blade and that first magic maxed out (forgot what it's called) and he was using an Ares with the Blade of Athena and that high jump magic. Honestly the level 25 Poseidon blade coupled with my magic felt like cheating, it generates magic so quickly so every time a cyclops or gorgon or any large enemy appeared it would be a quick freeze + shatter along with an easy gold tier. Though at the same time it felt needed because I can't see any other way to kill everything within the time limit with one exception: Desert of Lost Souls. The other two we were constantly fighting for time, but on that one we'd build up an excess 6 minutes, seemed a bit ridiculous.

One question for those who have been playing a little longer, is there some secret to the griffin armor? I've played Trial of the Gods quite a lot and got many of the white chests, yet haven't got anything yet.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

This game is so weak.

Edit: Annnnd this exact checkpoint is the start of a chapter. So Id have to go back to replay the last chapter to work up here again. I'll do this shit way later. Sorry GOW.

here?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50988387&postcount=3796

TEH-CJ

Banned
I dont care what anyone says but this scene in particular is the most memorable scene in all of gaming. God of war 1 is a fucking masterpiece.

2JAUECA.jpg

BadAss2961

For some reason I am bored with this game, not because it is necessarily boring but because for some reason I just am not just not getting it, I've played through GoW1/2/3 without any real problems.

I'm only in chapter 6 and I am entirely bored of not being able to finish or really start any sort of combo without getting interrupted, I just picked up the
Ice of Poseidon
and I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing besides killing these goat guys; I try to combo and get the meter up but get interrupted, I can't dodge mid animation so can't get away from them breaking what I am doing, and as much as I flail my swords around they just stand then like I farted at them instead of smacking them with a weapon. And as much as I try to dodge it is never quite far enough with some goat man that was about to hit me anyway from my previous position for some reason, that or one just kind of rotates around and hits me anyway.

I'd love to love this game I really would, but at this point it really isn't clicking with me like previous titles. I don't doubt these problems were there with previous titles but for some reason I can't ever remember having the same problem at all.

Still, I will continue on, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to be doing something special like with the
Fire of Aries
and it's magic attack or just getting past these guys, but with my experience of previous games I am having a problem with just that, maybe I am just not in the right mood for a God of War game right now or something. And I know it might be a silly point, but I feel if every jump that you have to do without it being a QTE has to be a double jump, then what is the point of the normal jump generally when you can just make that the same height.
Use air combos.

Learn moves that make Kratos temporarily invincible. R1 to tether followed by
ps-triangle0gj15.png
on the goats for example.

Sid

I dont care what anyone says but this scene in particular is the most memorable scene in all of gaming. God of war 1 is a fucking masterpiece.

2JAUECA.jpg
Yup,GoW:A while super fun is weak compared to the previous SSM GoWs due to the MP which is nothing more than a distraction. Hmph now it'll be another 3-4 years for a hopefully better one,I guess.

Toppot

One question for those who have been playing a little longer, is there some secret to the griffin armor? I've played Trial of the Gods quite a lot and got many of the white chests, yet haven't got anything yet.
No secret, just get as many gold rounds and white chests as you can. Bar the one piece you get for completing 100 gold rounds.

10 hours to complete on Normal difficulty, not bad for an action game. First half is good, second half is great. 9,000 orbs away from fully upgrading :(

Missed 3 artifacts as well

When you fully upgrade the rage metre, does it simply let you build enough to use the move twice, or does it unlock a new move at the top?

Jacob4815

2JAUECA.jpg

So epic...

The perfect intro for God of War:Ascension would have been the battle with the Barbarians, a battlefield with HUGE scale and amazing graphic, men riding massive beasts (Return of the King-style) and a giant Ares in the background interacting with the environment (Gaia in GOW3-style).

Sid

So epic...

The perfect intro for God of War:Ascension would have been the battle with the Barbarians, a battlefield with HUGE scale and amazing graphic, men riding massive beasts (Return of the King-style) and a giant Ares in the background interacting with the environment (Gaia in GOW3-style).
It would have been perfect as the intro,that shit and the cut final boss battle of GoW 3 should be free DLC or hell SSM should make a 'super sigma' version of GoW:A and GoW:3 with added SP content and better storylines.

Top Bottom