• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

GenericUser

The thing is, I'm making Kratos movements when going out to the balkony. Like weaving the fly screen away in a kino fashion. Am I allowed to say that this game is by far the best first party PS exclusive game? Yes, TLOU exists, but jesus effin christ, this game is not only damn good, it might very well mark the berginning of a new game design era.

CLBridges

Other than the announcement of this game, I really didn't keep up with it because I knew I'd be buying it day one. The combat feels great, Atreus actually makes it so much more satisfying and the visuals are beautiful. After a couple major disappointing releases from other games this gen I was anticipating, GoW is worth every cent I paid. Feels good man.

Hotspurr

Banned
I went head first on give me god of war for my play through and good lord the combat feels amazing, before in past tittles i wouldn't have put GOW in the same category of DMC and platinum games of the genre, it was like the lite version of those, but now? now the combat is as deep if not even deeper than those games because of some stuff that the game is doing that those games never came around to incorporate.

GoW combat is good, but DMC it is not. It is too clunky and awekward with the camera in comparison. Also the enemies follow far too a predictable pattern (though that might change, still only 4-5 hours in, at least 1 hour of which has been slow cinematic walking haha....sigh).

Ar¢tos

I spent nearly all day exploring and doing side stuff, almost forgot about the main story. I have Atreus skill tree maxed and his crow rune maxed too. It's soo useful!

Geki-D

Banned
What they should have done is reduce the mob size but make each enemy much more aggressive and dangerous - kinda like dark souls. At higher difficulty in GoW you just get ganged by brick houses. I might switch it up again after I have a good arsenal of upgrades.
I agree with this though, for the most part I can hardly imagine how the enemies could be more hostile & dangerous on GoW mode. It's pretty annoying when you have crazy fast, ridiculously hostile enemies that are damage sponges who just eat your hits without flinching and then you have 4 others all jumping in on the party and 2 others sniping you with AoE attacks.

I'm getting by, but there have been several fights where I got by by the skin of my teeth and they were definitely cheap and over the top.

Keihart

GoW combat is good, but DMC it is not. It is too clunky and awekward with the camera in comparison. Also the enemies follow far too a predictable pattern (though that might change, still only 4-5 hours in, at least 1 hour of which has been slow cinematic walking haha....sigh).
Camera is definitely a problem, but enemies are non the wiser in DMC or Bayonetta. It's refreshing that the simplest enemies are a serious threat in this game tho, when they transform you better get creative. Just for reference of where i'm coming from. My favorite games on the genre are God Hand, DMC3 and 4, and Bayonetta 1 and i think i might end up putting this one with those....maybe.

RPGCrazied

Feel like this is going to be a long game. Played 2 days straight and still have
only been to one realm so far.

Hotspurr

Banned
Camera is definitely a problem, but enemies are non the wiser in DMC or Bayonetta. It's refreshing that the simplest enemies are a serious threat in this game tho, when they transform you better get creative. Just for reference of where i'm coming from. My favorite games on the genre are God Hand, DMC3 and 4, and Bayonetta 1 and i think i might end up putting this one with those....maybe.

I didn't have anything transform yet - likely still early. But sounds good. I am a huge fan of DMC 3/4 and Ninja Gaiden 1/2. They are top tier. Bayo1/2, nioh, revengeance, are tier 2. Western devs imo never could compete in the stylish action genre. I guess I'll reserve judgement for GoW till I got all the upgrades and the full combat system going. For now it hasn't reached anywhere near the tier of its Japanese counterparts (but likely surpassed the older GoW games).

Keihart

I didn't have anything transform yet - likely still early. But sounds good. I am a huge fan of DMC 3/4 and Ninja Gaiden 1/2. They are top tier. Bayo1/2, nioh, revengeance, are tier 2. Western devs imo never could compete in the stylish action genre. I guess I'll reserve judgement for GoW till I got all the upgrades and the full combat system going. For now it hasn't reached anywhere near the tier of its Japanese counterparts (but likely surpassed the older GoW games).

When i said transform i meant that enraged state where enemies are harder to stagger and recover some health, is this not on all dificulties? It feels pretty core to the systems IMO.
And yeah, i would not say better than top tier japanese stylish yet either, but i haven't unlock everything either yet but i see the pontential. Kilometers ahead of past GOWs for sure tho.
I guess my point is that i see potential on it to being up there with my favs of all time, which i would have never guessed before playing it.
Also, bounce and stun damage. I still remember how Hideaki used to talk about eviroment interactions on combat before Bayo was released, but that never came to be, finally the GOW makes it happen.

Last edited:

Keihart

I had no idea what the combat of Kratos reminded me of, but it is so obvious, it's Thor from Thor Ragnarok...

Fnord

Something i'm not enjoying. I like to explore a lot. But often i meet enemies with purple life bar who can kill me in one or two hits.

I've run into that once. Saw a chest in a lower level of an area. Made my way down there - BAM... Heavy spawns. Didn't think too much of it until he hit me once, staggering me, then hit me again and I was dead. So THAT'S what that purple bar means... :)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I've run into that once. Saw a chest in a lower level of an area. Made my way down there - BAM... Heavy spawns. Didn't think too much of it until he hit me once, staggering me, then hit me again and I was dead. So THAT'S what that purple bar means... :)

I ran into that, and I’m ealrly in. I pretty much ran passed him over and over and over until I whittled his health to nothing throwing the axe and hitting him with arrows via Atreus.

NathanW18

Neo Member
The game is awesome, but is side quest content meant to be done post game? Going off the story path and looking for side quest content just gets me destroyed in 1/2 hits?

Atreus is also really helpful. Playing on hard, having him there is actually a relief.

Manus

I have to say I'm over halfway through the game and boy does the combat get better. I just wish you unlocked a lot of the combat stuff so much earlier in the game.

The combat in this game is a few tweaks away from being fantastic(Like why do we have to turn the camera towards an enemy to be able to hit them? We should just have to attack in that direction.....why do enemies break lock on as soon as they are off camera? among other small annoyances). Right now it's 'just' very good. I'm genuinely impressed by SSM. After the shallow stuff they've served us in the original trilogy i didn't think they had it in them. Combat is deep and satisfying(and damn hard lol).

Kudos

bitbydeath

Hipster kratos, I still wonder how he survived in gow3 he killed himself, plothole already in the game, everybody just ignore.

He’s immortal, it shows this better in this game where after a large battle how he just heals himself.

Seems to take time though, the more damage the more time it takes to heal.

He’s immortal, it shows this better in this game where after a large battle how he just heals himself.

Seems to take time though, the more damage the more time it takes to heal.
I'll be damned if a 'plothole' can stop me from enjoying a very good game. 'Plothole'. Lmao

Last edited:

DavidGzz

You're lucky if it takes two hits, I usually die after one shot. I keep going in Edge of Tomorrow style until I finally get it right.

So my favorite two runic attacks right now. Njörd’s Tempest which reminds me of whirlwind attacks in Diablo and Ivaldi’s Anvil. I've upgraded them each twice.

As far as difficulty goes, I think starting on Normal and then switching to Hard once you get your runic attacks and upgrade Atreus a bit is the way to go. I started on Hard and had a tough time. I wouldn't change it if I could go back but I notice a lot of people complaining.

Last edited:

Dargor

Hipster kratos, I still wonder how he survived in gow3 he killed himself, plothole already in the game, everybody just ignore.

It clearly shows that he didn't die at the end of GoW3 though. Its just like Marvel movies dude, wait for the post-credit scenes lol

bitbydeath

still only 4-5 hours in, at least 1 hour of which has been slow cinematic walking haha....sigh).

Is this an extreme exaggeration? I'm also about 4-5 hours in and can only think of three small scenes that involved cinematic walking- (maybe 5 mins in total so far)

Carrying the tree, a scene after pushing a boulder onto The Stranger and carrying the magical near extinction creature to the witches house.

Atrus

Gold Member
Just got past the part where Atreus’ ??? Skill tree opened up.

Now that I’ve gained some more skills, equipment and power ups the difficulty has stopped ramping up so quickly and I can survive multiple encounters on Hard with no problem. Atreus is pretty essential for keeping you alive and I’ve got almost all his skills everytime they open up.

I have to say the art direction in this game is probably among the best as well. Mind blowing in the travel section that got me where I am now.

This is basically God of War invented in a world where Uncharted, Last of Us, Ryse: Son of Rome, Demon Souls/Dark Souls and Zelda: The Wind Waker, came out before it and it evolves fantastically.

dalekjay

I like the Loki role in this game

Last edited by a moderator:

Orpheum

This has got to be one of the best games i've ever played. The story and characters are written beautifully, the visuals are superb and the combat system has a depth to it which i haven't seen in any game, accessible yet challenging to master.

I'm 10 hours in and i loved every second so far

Last edited:

Neolombax

Maybe there's an explanation in the game? Have you played it yet? Also...
there was a cutscene early in the game that shows Kratos can regenerate his body after taking damage. Maybe this?

DavidGzz

I'll take this combat over DMC any day. DMC already fell to Dark Souls and Bloodborne IMO. I don't need mega flashy anime combat. I like slower more tactical fighting in my games now. DMC and Ninja Gaiden were great for their time but I've personally moved on. GoW is just so satisfying and visceral. No competition. Also, 1 hour of slow cinematic walking? What an exaggeration. I'm 20+ hours in and haven't seen that much.

Cleared_Hot

Everyone's saying the same shit. Believe me, it gets robust, fast. It's a very slowly start, takes at least four hours to pick up. And it doesn't let up. I had to knock it down to the easy mode a couple of times just because I don't have the time. The combat is super rewarding when it gets really complicated and fast and you manage to pull it off. I managed to beat one Valkyrie and that's about the extent of which I will be challenging myself lol hence bumping it to easy when I just wanted to blue through an area. Anyways bravo to Santa Monica Studio. This game is a huge achievement not just for them but the entire medium/industry. Ps5 can't come soon enough

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Midnight launch with the brazilian voice actor for Kratos
tKOjzcc.jpg

DanEON

Daudi Hamarr is beginning to frustrate me. Any tips for defeating this thing?
Edit: Figured out a strategy.
Keep attention to the heat level on left of the screen, once it fills up you will get burn. Wait him attack than get close to him and do some attack and back off. Repeat. It's easy once you get it.

Ragnaroz

Finished the game on Challenge difficulty and immediately started on the GoW difficulty. Oh man, this is like a completely different game. The level of strategy you need to employ in order to beat even the random smaller encounters is almost Souls-like. Definitely regretting the choice not to start the game on this difficulty, because after a while, Challenge became easy and my gear/skill choices didn't really matter.

Last edited:

Shifty

Grabbed this digitally last night, I managed to beat the first two bosses and tick off "The Marked Trees" quest.
Fuck. That wall of 10/10s is beginning to make a lot more sense now. This game is doing some really cool stuff.

The Stranger, who I assume to be Loki, is one Jack Sparrow ass Johnny Depp motherfucker. Love it.
Wasn't expecting to have a sick superfight so early in the game, and the interactive cinematic bits were very interesting. I want to know how they designed those.

Combat-wise, I'm playing on Give Me A Challenge and the game is kicking my ass. Took a good 15 minutes to git gud enough to pass the first fight. Mechanically speaking it does start off pretty limited, but I've been able to vary things up enough for it to feel stylish. For me, it falls squarely in the middle of souls-y slow combat and character action/beat 'em up WE GOIN' IN sort of stuff. Really cool and satisfying.

DMC already fell to Dark Souls and Bloodborne IMO
I mean if we're comparing disparate genres, Mario Kart blew FIFA out of the water years ago.

Last edited:

DonF

I played all weekend. I want more. I haven't finished the game yet, its amazing. Loving the impact of the combat. I've been playing bayo 2 on switch and this is the complete opposite, in a very good way. Every hit does damage and its worth it. I was used to doing a 200 hit combo to kill an enemy in bayonetta.

I just can't believe they developed this game. It's HUGE, I'm not used to a game being this intricate and detailed. Almost no recycled assets, tons of enemy variety...I think I like this more than BotW... its just incredible.

RPGCrazied

I guess you don't get to visit
all the realms
after all? What a tease. Those Valkyries are no joke, even on easy difficulty I struggled.

I played all weekend. I want more. I haven't finished the game yet, its amazing. Loving the impact of the combat. I've been playing bayo 2 on switch and this is the complete opposite, in a very good way. Every hit does damage and its worth it. I was used to doing a 200 hit combo to kill an enemy in bayonetta.

I just can't believe they developed this game. It's HUGE, I'm not used to a game being this intricate and detailed. Almost no recycled assets, tons of enemy variety...I think I like this more than BotW... its just incredible.

If this isn't goty material, I don't know what is. Might be one of my favorite games ever and I've been gaming for more than 25 years. Just amazing.

Hotspurr

Banned
Is this an extreme exaggeration? I'm also about 4-5 hours in and can only think of three small scenes that involved cinematic walking- (maybe 5 mins in total so far)

Carrying the tree, a scene after pushing a boulder onto The Stranger and carrying the magical near extinction creature to the witches house.
I'll take this combat over DMC any day. DMC already fell to Dark Souls and Bloodborne IMO. I don't need mega flashy anime combat. I like slower more tactical fighting in my games now. DMC and Ninja Gaiden were great for their time but I've personally moved on. GoW is just so satisfying and visceral. No competition. Also, 1 hour of slow cinematic walking? What an exaggeration. I'm 20+ hours in and haven't seen that much.

No exaggeration friends, or maybe you're used to it. Here is just a small sampling of pointless stuff you'll have to trudge through (spoilers just in case, but really no spoilers):

- pointless climbing sections requiring zero skill and just holding analog button
- collecting not one, but 2 types of flowers
- holding an arrow by the edges inside a pig, I seriously still don't know what the heck that was
- moving a boulder and grimacing for a minute at how your son dropped his knife
- carrying a pig for a good 2 minutes inside a house
- the boat sections
- random sections where the game tells you to press "R2" to do some stupid meaningless thing that could have easily been as part of a quick cutscene

And many MANY more

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Loving this game so far, it does actually feel like a next gen GOW , also Kratos just said.
Mini spoiler but not important to the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom