• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Nice ass.

At my gamestop in a quiet suburb, there were around 20 people which is pretty cool because they no longer even have midnight launches.

What stood out the most was how old everyone was. Pretty much everyone was in their 30s. All Dads of War like me. No Gen z teenagers or college kids. A couple of younger mid 20s looking millenials but thats it. I know Gen Z and the young fortnite and minecraft generation doesnt play these R rated games, but video game developers HAVE to look at the demographics and realize that millenials are only getting older and we still make up a huge portion of the audience for these games. Stop treating us like kids even if we act like kids on message boards and twitter.

Only one woman who was with her bf and she seemed to not want to be there at all. lol. Didnt Sony say 45% of PS gamers are women. Where are these women??
who the fuck buys discs? my friends all in their 20s don’t go buying discs or know what a gamestop is.

Anyone playing with pulse 3d and 3d audio enabled?
Game detects headset as 3d perfectly fine.
Are you using balanced out loud setting?

I am not so sure on 3d in this. Sounds ok direction wise but some effects seem muddy
I think 3d audio in this game is really weak. Hardly noticeable.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
what they don´t tell you is that this statistics also includes mobile games like candy crush.

In reality probably less than 1% of people who play AAA titles are women.
Yeah, but i recall them specifically saying PLAYSTATION gamers. That always seemed high to me.

Is Candy Crush a Sony mobile game?
who the fuck buys discs? my friends all in their 20s don’t go buying discs or know what a gamestop is.
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

SLB1904

Banned
The quality of voice acting and motion capture is amazing. Like literally feels a generation ahead of every game except tlou2.
Im impressed by the mo cap in game. I spend a lot if time just looking at atreus having dinner. Unbelievable stuff. I think thr only other 2 games with impressive
in game facial expressions are tlous 2 and Horizon.

Markio128

Gold Member
The first thing I noticed when playing the game is how fucking smooth it is - maybe because I’ve been smashing through ER recently. It’s so silky in motion. It might not be the most impressive game visually (although it is pretty awesome), but the image quality in motion is superb.

I’ve only played a couple of hours worth, but it’s pure bliss.

ikbalCO

I am 6 hours in and really enjoying my time with the game. I have to ve honest tho it was a mistake to start and finish the first one week before ragnarök, cuz it does feel very similar minus all the skills you had.

Also, i am playing this on favor performance - higher refresh rate off but there is some fuzziness to it, edges seem really soft. Turning off film grain and motion blur helped a bit but yeah it does look a bit blurry time to time. I tried both frame rate modes in favor quality but that was a no go after playing in 60 fps.

Which graphics setting do you guys play at?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I am 6 hours in and really enjoying my time with the game. I have to ve honest tho it was a mistake to start and finish the first one week before ragnarök, cuz it does feel very similar minus all the skills you had.

Also, i am playing this on favor performance - higher refresh rate off but there is some fuzziness to it, edges seem really soft. Turning off film grain and motion blur helped a bit but yeah it does look a bit blurry time to time. I tried both frame rate modes in favor quality but that was a no go after playing in 60 fps.

Performance

Am I crazy or is performance mode sharper than fidelity?!

Markio128

Gold Member

I’m playing in performance mode and the minor trade off is well worth it in my humble opinion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Performance, HFR Off. No fuzziness at all here.

Very pristine IQ on my set.

Played a couple hours feeling rusty and there's a lot to take in. Medium difficulty is fine to get to grips with it again and I beat the last game on give me god of war.

Loving the triangle power ups they add another layer to the combat.

I officially can't live without gyro controls there so much more snappy. If I turn it off it feels like cement.

Damn at that thor fight

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think fidelity hfr is unlocked 40.
Maybe if vrr is disabled I. System settings, it will be locked 40?
Why can’t they say this in main menu…

And I can’t get a grip about this sound balance. I am not sure if it’s range.

3d audio is bad. I’ve ended up disabling it in system settings after all

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think fidelity hfr is unlocked 40.
Maybe if vrr is disabled I. System settings, it will be locked 40?
Why can’t they say this in main menu…

And I can’t get a grip about this sound balance. I am not sure if it’s range.

3d audio is bad. I’ve ended up disabling it in system settings after all

3D audio sounds terrible, it’s…soft and a bit muffled on the Pulse headset? Doesn’t seem loud enough

Does disabling it make it better?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

So can anyone tell me who has swapped the (X) Action / (O) Evade buttons? It felt weird to have X as evade, and I swapped them but having X as action now also feels weird. I'm only at the start but now I'm struggling to know what feels more natural lol. I want to firm my decision before going too far into the game.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Not sure if this was asked/mentioned?

Did they make Kratos look noticeably shorter to anyone else? I noticed it before the Thor scenes.

Justin9mm

3D audio sounds terrible, it’s…soft and a bit muffled on the Pulse headset? Doesn’t seem loud enough

I also want to know this? I have a higher end full Atmos surround cinema (not that I'm getting Atmos, *cough FU Sony *cough) and I find I have to crank my receiver a little bit higher compared to other audio sources/games. It sounds a little weak and does not have much punch and yes not as clear.
I have a series X and I can tell you the Atmos and surround blows every Sony game out of the water on anything I play. I truly believe their 3D Tempest Tech was the cheap way out, it's not superior, not even close!

Also off topic but speaking of weak and not punchy, I noticed the thud of the axe returning when you throw it is not as punchy through the dualsense as it used to be through the Pro controller. It used to really thud/vibrate and was so satisfying, but this is also weak. I have my controller vibrations set to strong so it can't be that. Not sure if anyone else noticed lol

buenoblue

Don't normally buy games day 1 but Amazon had it for £62.99. figured I can complete it in a couple weeks and probably sell it for £50. Only 3 hours in and enjoying it so far but obviously doesn't have the wow factor like 2018 as it's very similar. I was the same with forbidden west just felt very similar but that's sequels I guess. but defo has that PS4 feel about it🤷‍♂️.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Who the fuck buys the PS5 over the Digital PS5?
Apparently a lot did and still do... weird that.
And yeah they do make less Digital PS5's but if the demand isn't there...

Akuji

Played till the scene that started at the end of last game ended.

Playing Favor Performance, high framerate.

WHAT THE FUCK?
Why does it look that great? Its looking awesome and runs super smooth. Not a single time i had a noticable fps drop.
Game starts of about equally as strong as last game, but more emotional.

Looks fucking great so far :)

Akuji

Probably a hair close.

8-9ft would probably be optimal.

Home Cinema has a rule for 16:9 for movie consumption that kinda is a goto, some like it bigger some smaller but its a good middle ground.
Which is you should sit 1.3 times away from the screen width. Which should be a tad above 6 ft i think ( iam german )

So your probably in the perfect sweet spot.

Certinty

Already more boss variety and epic scale battles in the first hour of this than the whole of the first game. Couldn’t be happier as those two things really let the first game down for me.

Hugare

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I kinda understand the complaints about "too many narrow spaces" now

I dont remember 2018 having this much. I was at the mines just now, and damn ... that was quite a huge amount of gaps.

Maybe they are pushing PS4 to its limits with this one, so they are stressing good old HDD a lot, but this "design choice" is kinda absurd on this game. Worse than FF7 Remake honestly.

Pacing also took a nosedive after a strong opening, but eh, mines are like sewers in games for me. Just as bad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah try disabling it in system settings. Game will switch to headset stereo then.
Might want to switch audio Balance in game to loud too. But balanced seems fine.
I’ve had 3d on since ps5 release.every game sounds great and the only other a bit muffled game is returnal… but it’s 3d is amazing otherwise.

Anyway. Apparently it’s 2am now. Time to sleep. 10 hours in one day is like good old times :p
The game is kinda busy. More so than first one. I kinda don’t understand why should I ever use blades of chaos.
And some exploratory level design, while clever can be a bit busy and maze like too. Just observation so far

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

8 hours in, it only gets better. So fucking good!

Alfheim is so good, the level design, lighting, enemy encounters, just sublime.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Probably a hair close.

8-9ft would probably be optimal.
I'm glad you said 8-9 feet. The amount of people that buy 65-inch TV's for living rooms where they sit 4+ metres away is ridiculous. People really don't understand how perception and distances work.

I have an 85 inch and I sit 3.2 metres (10.5 feet) from it.. I think it's pretty good. Loads of people will say that's too close, but I'm nowhere near close enough to see pixels and I have plenty of room left in my peripheral vision.

SLB1904

Banned
I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I kinda understand the complaints about "too many narrow spaces" now

I dont remember 2018 having this much. I was at the mines just now, and damn ... that was quite a huge amount of gaps.

Maybe they are pushing PS4 to its limits with this one, so they are stressing good old HDD a lot, but this "design choice" is kinda absurd on this game. Worse than FF7 Remake honestly.

Pacing also took a nosedive after a strong opening, but eh, mines are like sewers in games for me. Just as bad.
You are in the mines and you expect what?
Stupid complaint to begin with. Which makes no sense when the world is vast and open.
Worst than Ffvii what?
Nonsense

Top Bottom