• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

FUBARx89

So can anyone tell me who has swapped the (X) Action / (O) Evade buttons? It felt weird to have X as evade, and I swapped them but having X as action now also feels weird. I'm only at the start but now I'm struggling to know what feels more natural lol. I want to firm my decision before going too far into the game.

Be muscle memory from Elden Ring if you played that I'd imagine.

Done the next Atreus section. I still hate them. Just when I thought the section was over, had one small part left and I groaned. Then got control of the main man Kratos again. Even using his shape shifting for rage mode isn't saving his sections if you ask me. The writing his sections also feels awful so far. It's just Atreus bitching and complaining. Whereas Kratos has evolved from the last game.

Last edited:
You don´t think the story, the performance of the cast, and the gameplay are worth talking about?
If it was an RPG then fair enough. I play actions for action and to me the Comabt in the older games was better and this feels just like playing the 2018 all over again right down to the graphics on the PS5

Finished it. Loved it. But didn't quite wow me the same way GoW 2018 did. Mild case of sequelitis.

What made me extra excited for this in the weeks prior to release was seeing Santa Monica directly addressing people's complaints about the variety of enemies in the first game. But after playing I suddenly got reminded of something else that really bothered me in the first game and only seemed to have gotten worse in Ragnarok. Which is how a lot of boss and sometimes even enemy fights naturally end up with everyone just endlessly smashing each other into the nearest corner of the area. I know this can be avoided but it's not what the game naturally drives players to do.

Breakable objects or even additional area's during boss fights that can be accessed as a way to mitigate this seems like an awesome upgrade for a true next gen sequel. Though I could totally see the challenges that would derive from this with the games focus being on smoothly transitioning between gameplay and cinematics.

That's the only major gripe I wanted to have off my chest rofl
Hey since you finished it, could you tell me how far into the story I am, just a rough estimate. No spoilers or anything though. :p
I just met Freyr, in the Forest.

Also just loving everything and having a great time.

Last edited:

shubik

If it was an RPG then fair enough. I play actions for action and to me the Comabt in the older games was better and this feels just like playing the 2018 all over again right down to the graphics on the PS5

I mean it is a direct sequel to a heavily story-driven cinematic action game. What did you expect? Of course, it is more of the same. The story is captivating, the graphics received a noticeable bump and this is easily one of the best-looking games ever made. And you can play all that in buttery smooth 60FPS (which was impossible with the last title). How is this for a direct sequel, not enough?

And are you really saying the game has not enough action?!? The first 4 hours alone had more enemy variety than the last game...

Last edited:
I mean it is a direct sequel to a heavily story-driven action game. What did you expect? Of course, it is more of the same. The story is captivating, the graphics received a noticeable bump and this is easily one of the best-looking games ever made. And you can play all that in buttery smooth 60FPS (which was impossible with the last title). How is this for a direct sequel, not enough?

And are you really saying the game has not enough action?!? The first 4 hours alone had more enemy variety than the last game...
I'm saying it is just like Gears of War V. It just feels more of the same and a 60 Hz option too.

I miss the inane and fast combat of the older titles

Fess

Couple hours in, first impression:
The presentation and story telling is absolute top notch with the superb animation and voice acting, this is a game I really don’t want to just rush through.
Feels a bit old when it comes to game design though with the marked ledges and linear progression, but it plays great and the presentation in action set pieces is really something else, seems to have a decent challenge even early on.

shubik

I'm saying it is just like Gears of War V. It just feels more of the same and a 60 Hz option too.

I miss the inane and fast combat of the older titles

Saying you liked the older games more is fair enough and a valid point. But expecting Ragnorak to be noticeably different than the first part is probably bad expectation management on your side. It was 100% clear that the game will be a continuation and "more of the same".

Saying you liked the older games more is fair enough and a valid point. But expecting Ragnorak to be noticeably different than the first part is probably bad expectation management on your side. It was 100% clear that the game will be a continuation and "more of the same".
I was hoping for more even the graphics feel 2018. At least with Horzion Zero Dawn one say a big jump and new things added. I'm only a hour in mind, so maybe things will pick up

I guess what you really mean is that you miss the much easier and shallower combat of the previous games.
Combat can be infinitely more "insane and fast" here, difference is it's entirely skilled based now.
No miss I miss the fast instant response you got in GOW 1 and 2. The combat was like that in Ninja Gaiden, simply amazing

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not keeping up with the threads at all, just beaking in to give my two cents.

Played 4 hours last night. Girlfriend watching was in tears at that scene, never seen her cry at a video game. Love the portrayal of Odin as a guy who's just fucking over it by now. Once it opens up in the dwarven realm it's an absolute joy to play, feels so fast and fluid, better than 2018. The "whale" sidequest really put a knife in my heart at 1am.

Got a very long way to go but it's fantastic as expected. I always rated 2018 a 9/10, felt just shy of being something truly great and I already feel like this has taken that extra step. Won't "dethrone" Elden Ring for me but they're two totally different games and the bickering about both in the reviews thread was batshit stupid.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played 4+ hours and reached the first new realm and fucked around with the new enemies a bit, some random opinion with spoilers, avoid the post if you haven't reached the first new realm.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
kristen-bell-spoiler.gif

-let's get the "bad" out first, graphic looks great and it is improved compared to gow2018 sometimes the improvement is subtle sometimes is more noticeable like the water (still not great tho) but yeah the game could have been much much better graphic wise, this scream of missed occasion...well at least it's super polished and performances are smooth as hell.
Teenage turd (previously known as little shit) face and facial expressions are probably the weakest part of the package, it just look...subpar.

-
Odin and thor are fantastic, way better than mcu, that fucking reunion was as unexpected as it was great, kratos looking how big thor is when he enter his house and looking like a fucking boi size wise was hilarious, the dude is basically 3 mt tall, both VA are godlike (pun intented), ND should take a note (or 500) on how to write likeable characters and especially villains from santa monica. (And santa monica should take a note from nd on how to make more realistic faces and facial animations)

-Gimme the god of war is perfect, not impossibly hard if you are familiar with the game but still hard enough that you can't get distracted, enemies are a tiny bit tanky but not nearly enough to be a problem, they still go down pretty fast if you know what to do, the fact that they can upgrade a level diring combat add some spice because you can stop their upgrade if you are fast enough, if you are good with action\souls game, this mode is the only one that you should play.

-I love the new elemental charge mechanic and the new keep pressing R2 move with the axe where he send enemies fly, the combat in general feels even better than the first one but i can't point the fingers on why, i also like the new progression system where you actually have to use the skills to upgrade them.

-Not a fan of enemies disintegrating after 1 sec but at least there is gore and dismemberment even without finishers, sometimes you just cut limbs or enemies in a half with regular final hits, not enough blood tho.

-
The scene with the wolf at the beginning was a low blow.

-Playing perf mode 60 locked seems like the best of both worlds, graphics are super sharp and 60 fps are enough, the 120 mode looked a bit muddy but i'm gonna try it again tonight.

-it feels more of the same for now but since i absolutely love the first one it's not a problem at all.

-not sure how people were saying that the first 4-5 hours are slow or dull, people deserve to play animal crossing if this is what dull looks to them.

-not sure if like the new ui for the menus, they are stylish but maybe a bit confusing.

Not even surprised that this is my goty after just 4 hours, the game ooze quality.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I guess what you really mean is that you miss the much easier and shallower combat of the previous games.
Combat can be infinitely more "insane and fast" here, difference is it's entirely skilled based now.
And still it was more fun, at least for me.
New GoW is combat- and movementwise more like a Soulsborne than the original GoWs.
I understand it's modern, trendy and promising ($$$) but it forgot about its' roots.
There are no longer real hordes of enemies that you can mow down and tear apart driven by pure rage.
A handful of enemies on the screen is not the real thing, I had better experiences with the original GoWs.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Disclaimer: I only played until after the first boss, so my opinion might change later

They released Ascension in 2013 and then took 5 years to develop an entirely new, full, nextgen game in five years. Now they almost took the same time to release the second part of that game. Same engine, same assets, same animations, same weapons. What the hell have they been doing for almost 5 years? Was this developed by a smaller segment of the studio or what? I don’t mean it’s bad or anything, but it really feels like a dlc so far.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Turn off film grain ASAP in the graphics setting....makes it so much clearer with it off!! Why they enable this shit by default baffles me....
Em no?
It’s very subtle and helps to fake detail and dithering. But it’s largely inconsequential
Don’t turn off motion blur too! It’s mainly on animations.

Btw is there hud opacity setting?

Vick

Gold Member
No miss I miss the fast instant response you got in GOW 1 and 2. The combat was like that in Ninja Gaiden, simply amazing
It was sort of a DMC lite before, and now something entirely unique, ten times more layered/deep than it was before. There's place for both, but the old system would never suit a game five times longer than the previous entries.

And still it was more fun, at least for me.
New GoW is combat- and movementwise more like a Soulsborne than the original GoWs.
I understand it's modern, trendy and promising ($$$) but it forgot about its' roots.
There are no longer real hordes of enemies that you can mow down and tear apart driven by pure rage.
A handful of enemies on the screen is not the real thing, I had better experiences with the original GoWs.
I mean..

This is the best story ive seen invideogame ever in fact I don't think this belongs to a video game. Holiwood would kill for this delivery. It won't let me sleep when think the chapter is done. Another twist pops up. Wtf

Gow without context

7b96c0bdcd90e9cfa8be762e3c39d775.jpg

giant-in-the-kitchen.jpg
Love the Atreus part, especially Angrboda's grandmother house. Feel like just walk in to a Fairy tale. LOVE IT. And the Iron Wood is just fucking beautiful.

Angrboda seem quite interesting as well. Love every new GOWR new characters. I think GOWR is better than Tlou part 2 at this. Making the side character interesting.

Btw I think Atreus second part is a bit long despite how beautiful that section is. They should cut the cave part off.

Last edited:

Kupfer

And how often did YOU actually play like this in GoW 2018? I certainly didn't. It's nice that the game gives you the opportunity to perfect fighting, I have to give the game credit for that. But I have no need for that, I want to play through it once and experience the story in the most spectacular way possible - I have no desire to invest 6000 hours to ultimately be able to fight like this.
In the originals I felt like a God Slayer, in 2018 I felt like I'm doing okay as a caring dad, throw my Axe here and there ...

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Been playing this for around 8 hours now and well.... It's basically the 2018 game, with higher resolution assets and slightly refined mechanics.

The singular biggest change is probably the "favour performance + HFR" mode and their upscaling technology. Never has a game on console looked so good and the resolution so crisp while being this fluid. Plays like a dream.

Still disappointed that this came out as a PS4 game. The limitations are so very present with everything, especially the level design...

And what happened with Atreus' facial mocap? Compared to nearly all other characters he has the expressiveness of a doll.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Trying to get used to this after playing ER has been tough. I chose my first shield as the parry shield and you’ve really got to be on the ball to fight off multiple enemies at once.

Markio128

Gold Member
Been playing this for around 8 hours now and well.... It's basically the 2018 game, with higher resolution assets and slightly refined mechanics.

The singular biggest change is probably the "favour performance + HFR" mode and their upscaling technology. Never has a game on console looked so good and the resolution so crisp while being this fluid. Plays like a dream.

Still disappointed that this came out as a PS4 game. The limitations are so very present with everything, especially the level design...
Hard disagree with the biggest change. The biggest change for me is in the wider enemy variety and tactics needed to defeat them - not to mention how different upgrades/armour/shields can greatly affect how you play the game.

Vick

Gold Member
And how often did YOU actually play like this in GoW 2018? I certainly didn't. It's nice that the game gives you the opportunity to perfect fighting, I have to give the game credit for that. But I have no need for that, I want to play through it once and experience the story in the most spectacular way possible - I have no desire to invest 6000 hours to ultimately be able to fight like this.
In the originals I felt like a God Slayer, in 2018 I felt like I'm doing okay as a caring dad, throw my Axe here and there ...
You're asking for a less skilled based, dumbed down game. I don't, I want to earn feeling like a God of War.

Start the game at GMGOW, you'll be forced to learn how to play and by time you get to Muspelheim challanges you'll do things not far from this video. And the more time you invest, the closer you'll get to this.

It's the beauty of a REAL deep combat system.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's still better than HFW. One reason i quit HFW because of how annoying Aloy is.
I think you have option to have more time to complete puzzle.

Btw you guys should turn on the Navigation Assist. It's really helpful. Some area in the game is easy to get lost. I don't remember how long i just running around in a cave like an idiot lol.
I turned the navigation assist on because you always know where not to go if you want to explore, like the camera turn right then i go left.
Care to share?
You can put the 180 turn into the touchpad, like slide up or down to turn.

gow3isben

The enemy variety.

The variety in locations.

The modest but definite improvement in visuals.

The combat improvements and enhancements.

The number of incredibly written characters.

The expanded side quests

The maturation of characters and improved dialogue

The expanded scope.

It blows the 2018 game out the water completely. And this is after 7 hours lol.

Please tell me we are in for some epic set pieces in the latter half! I need that and loads of it and this is my favorite game ever.

Last edited:

Kupfer

You're asking for a less skilled based, dumbed down game. I don't, I want to earn feeling like a God of War.
Not game, but combat system. For a 30h playthrough I don't want to have to learn a deep system of moves and combos just to have the feeling of being a powerful warrior. A game should transport these mechanics and this feeling also in the course of a normal playthrough.

Start the game at GMGOW, you'll be forced to learn how to play and by time you get to Muspelheim challanges you'll do things not far from this video. And the more time you invest, the closer you'll get to this.

It's the beauty of a REAL deep combat system.
Ok, it's fine. I don't want this. Seems like I'm casual.

Last edited:

scydrex

Started playing yesterday it's been awesome so far. Loving the game and the start of the game is 🔥. Started playing it in god of war difficulty and it dosen't seem so impossible so far. I just finished gow 2018 again in the hard difficulty maybe that help. Played a good time in 60fps locked and tried the 40fps. Will change again today to see. The 40fps is fine but haven't seen such a difference to sacrifice those fps and input lag.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
-Gimme the god of war is perfect, not impossibly hard if you are familiar with the game but still hard enough that you can't get distracted, enemies are a tiny bit tanky but not nearly enough to be a problem, they still go down pretty fast if you know what to do, the fact that they can upgrade a level diring combat add some spice because you can stop their upgrade if you are fast enough, if you are good with action\souls game, this mode is the only one that you should.
That's fucking amazing to read, thanks for sharing.
However I heard it gets much harder later on, unlike GoW 2018. Please keep us updated, I've just read a message from GameStop saying my copy will only be available tomorrow..

Not game, but combat system. For a 30h playthrough I don't want to have to learn a deep system of moves and combos just to have the feeling of being a powerful warrior. A game should transport these mechanics and this feeling also in the course of a normal playthrough.
But you'll feel like a powerful warrior just fine in a normal playthrough, unless you really suck with these kind of games.

Ok, it's fine. I don't want this. Seems like I'm casual.
But it's a shame, because you're missing out on a sense of satisfaction that has little to no equals.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's fucking amazing to read, thanks for sharing.
However I heard it gets much harder later on, unlike GoW 2018. Please keep us updated, I've just read a message from GameStop saying my copy will only be available tomorrow..

But you'll feel like a powerful warrior just fine in a normal playthrough, unless you really suck with these kind of games.

But it's a shame, because you're missing out on a sense of satisfaction that has little to no equals.
Lol dude, you can probably play that mode with both your hands behind your back, gtfo:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I hope it gets way harder.

Whitecrow

Banned
Since I dont have PS5, and I was very intrigued by the story, I had no choice but to eat a full gameplay on youtube.
I can say anything about the gameplay itself (it looks the same with more mechanics)... but everything else.... holy fkn shit dude.

Yes, graphics didnt see any major improvements, but the enviroments, the detail, the variety, the story, the narrative, and the characters... the ammount of work put there is just breathtaking.
Eventhough I have some gripes on character chitchat during gameplay, everything else looks so extremely well done.

It definitely exceeded my expectations, which is a hard thing.

Vick

Gold Member
Lol dude, you can probably play that mode with both your hands behind your back, gtfo:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Dude, seriously, stop overestimating my skills. :messenger_neutral:
It legit took me half an hour yesterday to pass that damn Traveler + Hellwalkers in Konunsgard and I'm sweating at the thought of facing Sigrún again.

I have the retarded habit of doing side content as severely underleveled as soon as I discover them, and that shit can be stressful in these games.

I hope it gets way harder.
Well, that's encouraging.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude, seriously, stop overestimating my skills. :messenger_neutral:
It legit took me half an hour yesterday to pass that damn Traveler + Hellwalkers in Konunsgard and I'm sweating at the thought of facing Sigrún again.

I have the retarded habit of doing side content as severely underleveled as soon as I discover them, and that shit can be stressful in these games.

Well, that's encouraging.
I think you are just better than me at playing videogames after the whole horizon debacle, so if gimme the god of war is doable for me, it is gonna be even more doable for you.

Maybe you are just better with ranged combat and tps.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Love the Aetreus part, especially Angrboda's grandmother house. Feel like just walk in to a Fairy tale. LOVE IT. And the Iron Wood is just fucking beautiful.

Angrboda seem quite interesting as well. Love every new GOWR new characters. I think GOWR is better than Tlou part 2 at this. Making the side character interesting.

Btw I think Aetreus second part is a bit long despite how beautiful that section is. They should cut the cave part off.
Agree 100%

That character was so interesting tgat made that long section bareble. Amazing stuff

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The worst thing I can say about this game is that it very much feels like Part 2 of GoW 2018, rather than a huge generational leap. GoW2018 was one of my very favorite games of last gen, so that's hardly a scathing indictment. The game is incredible, just like its predecessor.

Topher

Gold Member
Is everyone OK with this mafia boss new York "y'understand what's going on here" dialogue and delivery? I'm not saying then performance isn't class but I'm trying to shake how jarring it is to me in this norse mythology.....

It's just grating me....hope I get past it.

No idea what you are talking about. Mafia boss.....what?

Top Bottom