• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Neither are GoW 2018 and ragnarok the same and here we are. Arguing about dumb shit and shitting on a masterpiece game because: a) it's not a PS5 only game; b) doesn't revolutionize the gameplay loop completely... but then proceed to say batman, mgs and halo were different in that department. I lmao
Gow 2018 and Ragnarok are more similar than the other examples mentioned. You’ve yet to dispute the finer details, and opted instead to repeat “that is factually wrong” and then say something obvious like “PS5 is the best way to play the game” or “they are not the same." (Obviously they aren’t the same - they are way more similar).

Another user pointed out to you just how advanced the demo for MGS2 was, in even finer detail than I did. The first person advancements, the freaking melting ice cubes (laugh if you want, it was incredible tech), the advanced enemy ai….

I pointed out how going from a metroidvania experience to an open-world experience is a huge change, but you are laughing it off. Okay.

You skipped right over these details every time we brought them up and settled for “that is factually wrong. They are the same.” It’s like you read “The Secret” and are trying to just will your point into reality.

As said, not every sequel innovates on the highest level, but there are plenty of examples of those that do. Ragnarok is not one of them.

Sony will be held to the highest standard. Playing a PS4 game on PS5, with much less innovation than we’ve come to expect from a new console, if not simply a sequel, two years in, is understandably disappointing.

I’m not attempting to “shit on the game”. It’s probably more on Sony than Santa Monica, but I won’t pretend to know how this went down behind doors. I just know how it makes me feel as a consumer.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
\

The problem is remembering the jump from SNES to Mario 64 and expecting to get that again. Those generational jumps are long gone. I think people keep expecting big advances and I think they are going to be disappointed. So maybe "contrived" is the wrong word. More like "misguided expectations".
That is an extreme example, true. Not every game is expected to ascend to that level, but two years into the PS5 and this game isn’t even using the hardware, aside from the graphical upgrades.

Topher

Gold Member
That is an extreme example, true. Not every game is expected to ascend to that level, but two years into the PS5 and this game isn’t even using the hardware, aside from the graphical upgrades.

What were you expecting to see in this game that would only be in a PS5 God of War?

Kupfer

Is there at least a good explanation for this, like in the previous games? A simple yes or no please.
Wait, I'll ask Aloy why she unlearned all the stuff and where she lost her shield-weaver armor - one drink too much maybe?

sorry for not yes or no'ing

Last edited:

Gudji

Gow 2018 and Ragnarok are more similar than the other examples mentioned. You’ve yet to dispute the finer details, and opted instead to repeat “that is factually wrong” and then say something obvious like “PS5 is the best way to play the game” or “they are not the same. (Obviously they aren’t the same - they are way more similar).
Arkham knight and City are similar.
Halo 2 and 3 are similar.
Uncharted 2 and 3 are similar.
We can be here all day if you want.
Another user pointed out to you just how advanced the demo for MGS2 was, in even finer detail than I did. The first person advancements, the freaking melting ice cubes (laugh if you want, it was incredible tech), the advanced enemy ai….
It was a fucking PS2 game vs a PS1 game. Do I need to explain the rest?
I pointed out how going from a metroidvania experience to an open-world experience is a huge change, but you are laughing it off. Okay.
Yes I'm laughing it off because not all game sequels are the same. In case you didn't notice ragnarok is a fucking huge game in scope and they are still making improvements.
You skipped right over these details every time we brought them up and settled for “that is factually wrong. They are the same.” It’s like you read “The Secret” and are trying to just will your point into reality.

As said, not every sequel innovates on the highest level, but there are plenty of examples of those that do. Ragnarok is not one of them.
They are innovating in the highest level.
Sony will be held to the highest standard. Playing a PS4 game on PS5, with much less innovation than we’ve come to expect from a new console, if not simply a sequel, two years in, is understandably disappointing.

I’m not attempting to “shit on the game”. It’s probably more on Sony than Santa Monica, but I won’t pretend to know how this went down behind doors. I just know how it makes me feel as a consumer.
Don't buy it then. Your issue is with Sony not GoW or SMS.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Halo 2 and 3 are similar.
Uncharted 2 and 3 are similar.
We can be here all day if you want.

It was a fucking PS2 game vs a PS1 game. Do I need to explain the rest?

Yes I'm laughing it off because not all game sequels are the same. In case you didn't notice ragnarok is a fucking huge game in scope and they are still making improvements.

They are innovating in the highest level.

Don't buy it then. Your issue is with Sony not GoW or SMS.
You’re not making any points, you’re just saying I’m wrong, essentially. Why even bother if you aren’t going to tackle the points head on?

The gameplay loop in the Arkham series doesn’t repeat itself, except for Origins. Going from metroidvania to open-world substantially changed the gameplay loop.

You realize that now, so you’re pointing out the difference between City and Knight - Okay, what changes are in Ragnarok are on the same level as adding a vehicle that effects both combat, traversal, and puzzles? No, Knight was a pretty big change, and the graphics were an insane leap.

You really spun in a circle and fell on your butt when you just pointed out that the innovations between MGS1 and MGS2 were due to them being on different consoles - that’s the entire point.

Last edited:

scydrex

You’re not making any points, you’re just saying I’m wrong, essentially. Why even bother if you aren’t going to tackle the points head on?

The gameplay loop in the Arkham series doesn’t repeat itself, except for Origins. Going from metroidvania to open-world substantially changed the gameplay loop.

You realize that now, so you’re pointing out the difference between City and Knight - Okay, what changes are in Ragnarok are on the same level as adding a vehicle that effects both combat, traversal, and puzzles? No, Knight was a pretty big change, and the graphics were an insane leap.

You really spun in a circle and fell on your butt when you just pointed out that the innovations between MGS1 and MGS2 were due to them being on different consoles - that’s the entire point.

The jump each gen is getting smaller in graphics. The jump from ps1 to ps2 or ps2 to ps3 is a lot much bigger than ps4 to ps5 for example. Same for Xbox.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What were you expecting to see in this game that would only be in a PS5 God of War?
I hesitate to point out specifics because I’m not a developer, but I’ll share a few easy thoughts:

We know that there is more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything. More enemies at a time, bigger levels that require less loading, more interactive (destructible?) environments.

This is where someone will jump down my throat and say “more enemies doesn’t necessarily mean a better game!!”, but the point is that the potential is there, all across the board, to do more.

That said, I mean, hey, this is God of War, where epic scale is expected, so more enemies at a time sounds fun to me. We saw that advancement between God of War 2 to 3 and it was appreciated. It added to the epic sense of scale.

But okay, enough about enemy count….how about the speed at which the world can be processed? What if instead of crawling under a rock or going through a thirty-second teleportation all the time, we were sprouting wings and flying to our next destination.

Would that make the game better? Not necessarily- you’d have to design around it obviously, or it’d just be god mode when placed in the current version of Ragnarok… But something like that sounds ultimately more satisfying than enduring loading screens every 30 steps, due to limited processing power - that’s what it’s really about - more freedom and less loading.

So those are just a couple of examples. I’m not a developer. What I do know is that we buy new consoles for new gameplay experiences - that’s the point, right?
You don’t get that when you are designing for the old hardware.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
That boss fight looked like hydra fight from the first god of war. Chef kiss

Boss fights in this game is so diverse and so good.
The mini bosses as well

So fucking good. And I'm looking at my inventory there is so many shit to unlock still.

I'm gonna miss this game when I'm done.

People talking about this is exactly like gow you guys are trippin. Gow 2018 feels like a prologue with amount of content this game as already and I'm almost 20 hours in . And loads of stuff still locked away from me.

scydrex

But they’re not even trying here. It’s literally just a game built on the old hardware with bells and whistles.
Sure it's a ps4 game. They could have done more of course like Horizon 2 between ps4 and ps5 but still loving the game and it's been awesome so far. Yeah i would have prefer to be a PS5 only game but as people say in this forum gameplay over graphics. It's not a current gen game in graphics but everything else is top notch so far to me.

Gudji

I didn't say the innovations or improvements between mgs 1 and 2 are due to console generation. You're the one talking about ice cubes and shit melting and I pointed out they're on different hardware. I'm on my phone and doing shopping so that's why I don't tear you new one but to resume yes you are wrong.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sure it's a ps4 game. They could have done more of course like Horizon 2 between ps4 and ps5 but still loving the game and it's been awesome so far. Yeah i would have prefer to be a PS5 only game but as people say in this forum gameplay over graphics. It's not a current gen game in graphics but everything else is top notch so far to me.
The graphics are the least of my concern right now. The gameplay innovation is what I want. I agree that gameplay dominates over graphics. But all we are getting from the PS5 here….is a graphical upgrade. That’s it. And the controller, which is cool, granted.

That said, I’m glad you’re enjoying the game and think it’s awesome. I can’t take that away from you or anyone else, thank god.

I’m going to give it a chance too and maybe it will be so damn good, I will come back and eat crow, claiming that innovation is an old man’s dream, when an experience is crafted as finely as this.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I didn't say the innovations or improvements between mgs 1 and 2 are due to console generation. You're the one talking about ice cubes and shit melting and I pointed out they're on different hardware. I'm on my phone and doing shopping so that's why I don't tear you new one but to resume yes you are wrong.
Yes you did.

And the rest of your post sounds a lot like a cop-out. Who says “I’d do _____ except for the fact that _____”. It’s the goofiest trick in the book.

Topher

Gold Member
I hesitate to point out specifics because I’m not a developer, but I’ll share a few easy thoughts:

We know that there is more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything. More enemies at a time, bigger levels that require less loading.

This is where someone will jump down my throat and say “more enemies doesn’t necessarily mean a better game!!”, but the point is that the potential is there, all across the board, to do more.

That said, I mean, hey, this is God of War, where epic scale is expected, so more enemies at a time sounds fun to me. We saw that advancement between God of War 2 to 3 and it was appreciated. It added to the epic sense of scale.

But okay, enough about enemy count….how about the speed at which the world can be processed? What if instead of crawling under a rock or going through a thirty-second teleportation all the time, we were sprouting wings and flying to our next destination.

Would that make the game better? Not necessarily- you’d have to design around it obviously, or it’d just be god mode when placed in the current version of Ragnarok… But something like that sounds ultimately more satisfying than enduring loading screens every 30 steps, due to limited processing power - that’s what it’s really about - more freedom and less loading.

So those are just a couple of examples. I’m not a developer. What I do know is that we buy new consoles for new gameplay experiences - that’s the point, right?

Loading is one thing I already had in mind when I asked the question. That's definitely a PS4 holdover. Beyond that I don't see a strong case being made that PS5 is going to blow anyone's minds when PS4 is finally put to bed. And I think it doesn't make much sense to judge this game without having concrete examples of what it would have been and except for load times, I don't think anyone really knows what it is. I appreciate your response though.

Now.....do I want to be wrong? Yes, absolutely I do. Would love to be wrong on this and be totally amazed. But for this game, for the most part, we are getting pretty much what I would expect: better visual quality and better performance and kickass gameplay.

Last edited:

Gudji

Yes you did.

And the rest of your post sounds a lot like a cop-out. Who says “I’d do _____ except for the fact that _____”. It’s the goofiest trick in the book.
What cop-out bro youre the one saying SMS is playing safe while saying that batman halo and mgs are the greatest sequels when it comes to innovation. Get a fucking grip and stay hating.

scydrex

The graphics are the least of my concern right now. The gameplay innovation is what I want. I agree that gameplay dominates over graphics. But all we are getting from the PS5 here….is a graphical upgrade. That’s it. And the controller, which is cool, granted.

That said, I’m glad you’re enjoying the game and think it’s awesome. I can’t take that away from you or anyone else, thank god.

I’m going to give it a chance too and maybe it will be so damn good, I will come back and eat crow, claiming that innovation is an old man’s dream, when an experience is crafted as finely as this.
Play it. It could have been better for PS5 possibly yeah. The game is very polished and want to play more for sure. Had to turn off the PS5 yesterday to go to sleep. That´s all that matter for me... will not worry of what it could have been if it were PS5 exclusive title.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What cop-out bro youre the one saying SMS is playing safe while saying that batman halo and mgs are the greatest sequels when it comes to innovation. Get a fucking grip and stay hating.
The cop-out where you are “out shopping” so you don’t have time to make counter-points, but do have time to repeat “you’re wrong, hater”.

You’re too emotionally involved which is breaking your logic. No one is calling the game shit. So many people love it that I’m sure it offers something great.

But you’re acting like I said “your wife is cool, but she could be hotter.”

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can someone remind me when one of characters get this thing ? (first 5 hours or so)
Atreus got this small wooden ball thingy.... Can someone remind me where did he get this? He keeps looking at it in various scenes and I can't remember where did he found it.... :p
Don't reveal too much what it is. Just what I asked

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Can someone remind me when one of characters get this thing ? (first 5 hours or so)
Atreus got this small wooden ball thingy.... Can someone remind me where did he get this? He keeps looking at it in various scenes and I can't remember where did he found it.... :p
Don't reveal too much what it is. Just what I asked
I can't remember either. But it's story related. You'll find out soon enough

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

We know that there is more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything. More enemies at a time, bigger levels that require less loading, more interactive (destructible?) environments.

I rolled my eyes at them blurring out the background when switching from one arena to the other in a boss fight in Ragnorak. Clearly something that couldve been done on the PS5 and it wouldve been a far better experience seeing environments whizzing by instead of just grey clouds in the background. I remember SSM saying that they wanted Baldur and Kratos to throw each other into mountains with each punch but couldnt due to hardware limitations. Here we see them attempt that but again, whats the point if you are going to simply have it be a cutscene masking the loading of the next arena?

The titan levels simply wouldnt have been possible on the PS2.
16e2a306e1f8ffc7a84d82e838e632162cde51d8_00.gif

I am hoping that we see something similar in this game. If the PS3 can do it, the PS4 can as well. Hopefully thats where the 4.5 year dev time was spent.

scydrex

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma you have a Sony x900h no? Or a TV with VRR disable the local dimming? Have you tried the VRR modes? Is it worth it? I have one. Been switching between 40fps and 60fps i think i will stay with 60fps. Will switch to 40fps today and decide. Horizon 2 and Miles felt good in 40fps but in GoW R not as good.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Just got to my 11 hour mark and taking a break - whooooooo boy

Generally much more fluid and responsive than the first game, but that's to be expected playing in HFR. I'm willing to take the visual hit for that. It feels a more complete and cohesive game as well.

Special enemies: I like how they are introduced similar to the old god of wars, the only downside is the mini bosses you see only once. Like the huntress. That was a pretty cool fight and I thought they would then start appearing like the centaurs did but smaller versions. Obviously a bigger variety of enemies and more attack patterns. Good improvemnent.

Progress: I'm up to just meeting Freyr

Boss fights: I think they've all been pretty unique and fun so far. I really liked the change of pace with Gryla as well. I like it when games throw some boss fights in which have a little cool mechanic like that. Thor opener was good but lost its impression when you kept falling through and his health bar just reset again. I really liked the surprise Freya fight - how fucking cool did she look? Not a fan of 'The Hated' draugr, just like the Pursuer from DSII.

Atreus: Probably the best you could have made his sequences. And Holy Shit at how fucking awesome Angrboda is when fighting, I love the effects she has and the paint being a reagent for thre arrows is just *chefs kiss*. Using his rage to turn into a wolf was a surprise but really cool, especially after using the runic stag just before. Brok helping out as a companion is cool too. This is companion content done well in my opinion.

Tyr: easily one of the most dislikeable thing about the game for me so far. The quest to get him was cool in the mines, but he's just moping about like a big fanny. Getting him out while he crouches and hides and then runs like he's wearing heels is just so out of tone with the rest of the game, it's jarring.

Side quests: Much better and more meaningful and diverse this time round. That Watchtower whale quest was great as well as the ending. And freeing the Hufga was just immense - when it was in the sky it reminded me of the Vegas lights in H:FW

Main story: Feels much stronger this time round, much tighter and compact. Pacing is good, some of the dialogue is a bit eyebrow raising - like when Thor moans about his 'ex'. Seems like he is channeling a daytime TV Robert Baratheon. Most of it lands, but the few parts that miss, miss big.

UI/Menus: Just to re-iterate - these are awful. Konami PES 2017 level awful.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Kratos has good taste for women, faye is modeled over the ginger from true blood

CheeryColdGenet-size_restricted.gif

im-ready-lets-do-this.gif

Now i understand why he was so sad for her death.
that character model is by far the worst character model in the game though. Typical Sony tradition of taking smoking hot women models and turning them into 5s.

At least in GOW, everyone from the male and female characters are ugly so she fits right in.

saintjules

Gold Member
Dang, people not hiding spoiler content in the thread? lol

Played 45 minutes last night, but was too tired. Can't wait to fully dive into this tonight.

120hz performance mode was definitely smooth as hell. I'm still rusty from the combat, but it won't take long to get back into the rhythm I feel.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
that character model is by far the worst character model in the game though. Typical Sony tradition of taking smoking hot women models and turning them into 5s.

At least in GOW, everyone from the male and female characters are ugly so she fits right in.
She looks cuter than freya at least.

Dynasty8

If I remebre correctly there are options to tune those helping tips from obvious to none.

There isn't. The puzzle assist is related to something different. The NPC's will always blurt out answers and hints regardless of the settings you have on.

Gudji

The cop-out where you are “out shopping” so you don’t have time to make counter-points, but do have time to repeat “you’re wrong, hater”.

You’re too emotionally involved which is breaking your logic. No one is calling the game shit. So many people love it that I’m sure it offers something great.

But you’re acting like I said “your wife is cool, but she could be hotter.”
I'm just calling you on your bullshit.

All sequels should improve uppon the predecessors if done right and there's also no rule book of how to make one.
Some change more than others but that also depends on factors like scope, budget, hardware, etc.
SMS said they were undecided about making the norse mithology in 2 or 3 games they decided to finish it with ragnarok.

They have fixed the issues from 2018: more enemy variety, more bosses, better RPG systems. They improved the combat while remaining similar, there's more verticality to the game its obvious almost from the very start, the puzzles seem a lot more interesting to me and those are just some of the things I noticed from 4-5 hours of playing it, I'm sure there are many more surprises along the way.

And then there's the rest... the narrative, the characters, the presentation, the audio, etc its all fucking stellar and some of the best in the industry.
There's like only a handful of studios that would manage to pull this off and yet here we are with you almost shaming SMS and Sony for not delivering a huge leap (sounds to me like you wanted another reboot at this point).

So don't come here saying how much Halo improved with each sequel or how batman dramatically changed (other than the open world design).
At the end of the day they all played very similar with differences between each game. Yes, they improved. Yes some had bigger changes/improvements between them, some were due to design decisions and others due what the new hardware made possible but at the end of the day and without having to go through every little change they are all close to each other in experience. Ragnarok is no different.

P.S: My logic is just fine thank you. Now I'm going to go back to enjoy Mimir jokes.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
My Ragnarok DualSense came in late, it would have been so epic for that fight 🥺

It looks better than I thought. So elegant and premium. Of course now it's sold out everywhere and I can't get another one.
1. They revealed the game as the cap off to their PS5 reveal event after going around touting to the press that they “believed in generations”. The messaging was aloof at best and downright deceitful at worst. They knew what they were doing by not announcing it was a PS4 game at their PS5 reveal event. If they didn’t, they are clueless.
You keep using that "we believe in generations" green rat line so your opinion is dismissed, null and void.

Tg89

Early thoughts:

Pros:
-Looks absolutely incredible, both technically and artistically
-Characters all seem cool, other than Kratos, guys boring. But a nice contract between the others. Thor is awesome in this.
-Combat is a hell of a spectacle

Cons:
-Already done with the loot system. Just completely unnecessary in this type of game imo. I'm cool getting a new weapon/tool every so often but finding/upgrading armour? nah im good. Looks like we're upgrading the boys shit too? zzzzzzz. Keep that shit out of my action games.
-Combat is also a bit lacking on the gameplay side of things. Feels like they sacrificed a bit of tightness and speed to make it more cinematic

I definitely appreciate it. Great game with a ton of polish. It's certainly "that" game that Sony first party has been making for some time now. And while I don't love those type of games, I'm cool playing one every couple years, and this is certainly the peak of those games.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm just calling you on your bullshit.

All sequels should improve uppon the predecessors if done right and there's also no rule book of how to make one.
Some change more than others but that also depends on factors like scope, budget, hardware, etc.
SMS said they were undecided about making the norse mithology in 2 or 3 games they decided to finish it with ragnarok.

They have fixed the issues from 2018: more enemy variety, more bosses, better RPG systems. They improved the combat while remaining similar, there's more verticality to the game its obvious almost from the very start, the puzzles seem a lot more interesting to me and those are just some of the things I noticed from 4-5 hours of playing it, I'm sure there are many more surprises along the way.

And then there's the rest... the narrative, the characters, the presentation, the audio, etc its all fucking stellar and some of the best in the industry.
There's like only a handful of studios that would manage to pull this off and yet here we are with you almost shaming SMS and Sony for not delivering a huge leap (sounds to me like you wanted another reboot at this point).

So don't come here saying how much Halo improved with each sequel or how batman dramatically changed (other than the open world design).
At the end of the day they all played very similar with differences between each game. Yes, they improved. Yes some had bigger changes/improvements between them, some were due to design decisions and others due what the new hardware made possible but at the end of the day and without having to go through every little change they are all close to each other in experience. Ragnarok is no different.

P.S: My logic is just fine thank you. Now I'm going to go back to enjoy Mimir jokes.
"other than the open world design" lol.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuck me this install time from disk is embarrassing. Popped to my mates and he's just picked up his copy......40 minutes on 1gb Internet.

Wtf ....

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You keep using that "we believe in generations" green rat line so your opinion is dismissed, null and void.
How convenient for you lol. "You said something I don't like so LALALALALA"

Have some more: “"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.”

They aren’t “making the most” of those features. Just graphics (sort of, not really) and controllers.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

After 23 hours (my copy arrived early) with the game, I can confidently say it's not my game of the year. The more frustrating elements from the first game are pushed even harder here, with puzzles now landing largely in the tedious zone (I've abandoned the last three puzzle chests because I simply couldn't find the third rune) and combat isn't much better.

I'm playing in 'Give Me Balance' and it feels distinctly unbalanced and encounters honestly get exhausting. I wasn't completely blown away by the first one (which just felt like a more polished and presentable Darksiders with a crafting system bolted on), so maybe this shouldn't shock, but hey-ho, to each their own I guess.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No idea what you are talking about. Mafia boss.....what?

He doesn’t like a character accent
You don't think odins accent stands out? I can't be the only one who thinks this. Maybe it's because I'm from rhe UK.
I think he's talking about Odin, who totally talks like a New Jersey wiseguy. It's an interesting choice that does feel a bit out of place with the other characters.
Exactly. New Jersey wise guy. Whole mannerisms and everything....its far from norse god...its jarring to me. I'm getting passed it now but it's a little grating.

Top Bottom