• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

Draugoth

Gold Member
6zhGBKQpPrlLNI2a7EfALNs1.png

God of War: Ragnarök debuts on PC today with a 22,967 concurrent players peak on Steam so far. God of War (2018) peaked at around 73.5k on Steam at launch. User reviews are mixed with about one third of the reviews complaining about the forced PSN Account requirement.

One of the main reason gamers are angry is that God of War Ragnarok doesn't run on graphics cards with less than 6 GB of VRAM, mainly affecting GTX 1650 owners
Fix the 4gb vram ngc please i paid to play, i waited for two months for a game that runs on ps4 to simply not run on a mid end pc. THIS IS A LACK OF RESPECT FOR THE CONSUMER​

You pay looking forward to playing the game, you count down the days to its release and when the game is finally available to play, you get a message saying that you can't play it because your video card doesn't have 6GB of RAM... It's disheartening to have to deal with the fact that you have to force yourself to upgrade in order to play a game that was released on PS4. If the game doesn't run, I'd understand... but if I don't even have the opportunity to open the game? what a bastardization

god-of-war-ragnarok-113980.webp
dKtJ6vr.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PC fam needs to understand that console ports need more resources than consoles themselves for equivalent settings, especially Sony first party.

PS4 has 8GB of RAM/VRAM, so no idea what buddy with the 4GB VRAM GPU is bitching about.

I genuinely wonder what GPU he is using. a 1050 ti maybe. Just graciously take your refund and upgrade your old ass PC. what is there to complain about? this was a midrange PC in 2016.

Astray

I genuinely wonder what GPU he is using. a 1050 ti maybe. Just graciously take your refund and upgrade your old ass PC. what is there to complain about? this was a midrange PC in 2016.
It's a 1650.

Fucking insane that this guy can't read the min spec tbh. This is an area where Steam can help out by automatically giving a semi-recommendation based on your build and some known benchmarks.

Astray

PS4 has 5gb of usable memory for both CPU and GPU. Expecting this game to work on gpu with 4gb is not that u reasonable.
It is when the minimum spec laid out is a 6GB card (GTX 1060) +8GB RAM.

I'm also seeing bitching about PSN accounts, which is just nuts given not only is the extra account battle completely lost on PC, but that it's also written right there and was well-known prior to game release.

DanielG165

IDK if is worth PC Gamers.

The last GoW is better.
2018 is genuinely one of my favorite games, and is one that I have replayed probably 8 different times at this point. Ragnarok started strong with the Thor fight, but then quickly became… Dull? For the end of the Norse world, the stakes and scope were both not there. It definitely feels like SM should’ve done a regular trilogy to expand on the various concepts, because as it stands, 2018 is the considerably better game imo.

night13x

Game sucks.

Requires more than 4gb video card so my 10 year old card doesnt work.

Kratos is a straight manly guy - no option to add purple hair and make he/him more appealing with female features.

Kid guy needs an bf.

Why does the main character have a hammer. And why is he in the snow? Makes no sense. If they added stuff like other successful hero shooter weapons this game would be more popular.

Im offended by the word "GOD" in the game title. That's enough to get this game cancelled.

Something about making me log into my ps account. That took 30s away from my life I can no longer get back.

+ sweetbaby involvement. Sounds like they were mistreated though so not enough modern changes.

2/10 game

yes im kidding.

Last edited:

Denorion

Didn't one of writers said Kratos would have talk with his son about kissing other boys?

Feels like a case of "soon".
That was a former SM writer, he said that he wrote two dialogue sequences for the game:
-One where Kratos talks about a former male lover
-Another where someone asks Kratos about that Playstation Smash bros game

Only the latter ended up in the final game

Stuart360

To be fair i watched a benchmarker testing the game, and at 1080p Ultra settings, vram usage was hovering around 6gb consistently. If you play the game on low, or a mix of low and medium, 4gb vram probably would be enough to play the game.

Thing is you dont get many games on PC where the game simply wont boot if you you dont have specific hardware. Normally on bad hardware a game will still boot and load, just that the game will run like shit.

Sony needs to stop this PC porting business. It's not worth all this hassle.

Not only are they removing reasons for some people to buy PS5 because they can wait for PC ports, they also have to deal with crybabies and clowns.

What's wrong with "modern" PC gamers? Why would anyone whine that they don't meet a game's minimum PC requirements? In what world is 4GB of VRAM sufficient and "mid-range"? Why would anyone with a GTX 1650 in 2024 expect to run games properly? Also, Sony has already given everyone fair warning about the PSN requirement with this game, I don't see why anyone would buy the game to complain about that right now when it's been known the game would require this for months.

Last edited:

tmlDan

To be fair i watched a benchmarker testing the game, and at 1080p Ultra settings, vram usage was hovering around 6gb consistently. If you play the game on low, or a mix of low and medium, 4gb vram probably would be enough to play the game.

Thing is you dont get many games on PC where the game simply wont boot if you you dont have specific hardware. Normally on bad hardware a game will still boot and load, just that the game will run like shit.
yea, most games don't look as good as GoW tho, especially on PC. There are only a select few that reach that standard.

While it's not really realistic to expect modern console ports should run well on 4gb VRAM, if it's a hard limit where the game won't even launch..that requirement has to be mentioned in black and white.

If I recall, minimum requirement for gpu was a gtx 1060, and Rx 5500 xt BUT with no mention of a minimum VRAM. Both those two cards have <6gb variants I believe.

Top Bottom