• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

Hrk69

Gold Member
Lots of assumptions with precious nothing to back them up.
MtZ9N.gif

clarky

Gold Member
What the consensus on this game? is it better that the first? I liked the first game but I'm reading mixed stuff about this one. I hate the kid though.
Didn't finish it on the PS5. Although I was also more luke warm than most on 2018, so make of that what you will.

I think if you loved 2018 then there's probably a good time in this one for you.

Mr Moose

Notice: PlayStation Network Account required, subject to the PlayStation Terms of Services and User Agreement http://www.playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service
  • Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-4670k or AMD Ryzen 3 1200
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD RX 5500 XT (8GB) or Intel Arc A750
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 190 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Windows version 2004 2020-05-27 19041. 6GB GPU is required

Why are they complaining? Just don't buy it.

Got some receipts? Curious to see just how much Sony is making on these ports because a lot of them don't seem to be worth the time on face value.
if they are not making money on pc ports whey hav'nt they stopped porting more games to pc ? why are they porting more games and some games are even coming now day and date like until dawn remastered and horizon zero dawn remastered .

Exactly and that's their best IP currently . They are not making money on Steam. I really don't know why they pursue this strategy. There is no second blue ocean there. People that want to play GoW have Playstation for that.
Probably would have sold more if released earlier and at a cheaper price.

Ragnarok is 2 years late.

Besides the reception to this game has been middling at best.

I imagine TLOU2 would sell quite well on PC though.

Cakeboxer

Only 20k, seems like PlayStation games on PC are more flop than hit.
What do you expect with no marketing at all? Release GOW3 without any marketing and see how it does. Also pc players have so much choice, many aren't interested in "old" games.
Would have done much better on pc if released together with the console version and it's marketing.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Another tales from the ass on GAF.

In case of GoWR there's very little reasons to double-dip even for me because base PS5 verison is good enough and everyone who wanted to play it done so already on PS4/5. Same was with Uncharted collection. Plus unlike GoT it's an old-ass console-only IP with the attached perception.

It is still free money for Sony, because PC ports are usually in 1-3mil budget region and it takes very little to generate ROI.

Another tales from the ass on GAF.
Hardly.

Lots of people, myself included, like the 2018 version despite being a notable shift from the previous games. Ragnarok just seems to be a much more disappointing sequel. It's bloated and the writing is amateur.

The PC crowd doesn't seem to care for the game sequel either (2018 had 73k peak CCU, this game 22k peak CCU).

Last edited:

Felessan

Exactly and that's their best IP currently . They are not making money on Steam. I really don't know why they pursue this strategy. There is no second blue ocean there. People that want to play GoW have Playstation for that.
Sony makes 600mil USD off PC and Xbox. It's maybe not a blue ocean, but blue lake for certain
And crawling long term sales are quite good (PC is known for "collectors" so games sells there for years)

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Hardly.

Lots of people, myself included, like the 2018 version despite being a notable shift from the previous games. Ragnarok just seems to be a much more disappointing sequel. It's bloated and the writing is amateur.

The PC crowd doesn't seem to care for the game sequel either (2018 had 73k peak CCU, this game 22k peak CCU).
And me and my friends liked it quite a lot, wich is supported by very strong sales.

This is an empty conversation.

daninthemix

Which is it guys? Are Sony endangering their console business by porting to PC, or is it not worth their time because some Internet idiot has an opinion about Steam CCU? It can't be both.

Cakeboxer

if they are not making money on pc ports whey hav'nt they stopped porting more games to pc ? why are they porting more games and some games are even coming now day and date like until dawn remastered and horizon zero dawn remastered .
The console market won't grow much more if at all, so they want pc customers to create PS accounts. They want pc money without losing too many people to the pc, so i think they are testting right now with different release windows. Helldivers 2 did very well with a day1 release and guarantees that Sony won't let the pc market go. I bet we will also see day1 singleplayer games next gen.

Probably would have sold more if released earlier and at a cheaper price.

Ragnarok is 2 years late.

I imagine TLOU2 would sell quite well on PC though.
It would have sold the same overall. People who want to play God of War buy a Playstation. If you release day one the same playstation people will buy it on PC instead And they will eventually stop buying Playstations. There is no untapped second "Playstation games" market on PC bar maybe one game: Spider-man which is a Marvels IP, not a Playstation IP.

Rivdoric

I do not care about the PSN requirements but was absolutely pissed off by the stupid exclusive pre-order in-game items as well as the 10+ € for deluxe for, again, 4 in-game armors/cosmetics.

Man, they treat us like second class customers by releasing games 2 years afterward yet still do these stupid FOMO stuff and force me to dip 70€ before the damn game even release to get their complete experience ?

Didn't pre-order because of that. i hate these practices.

Last edited:

Assaulty

Needing a PlayStation account is annoying, but doesn't scare me off completely from playing this game.

What does, at launch at least, is that this cross gen ps4 title is costing me 60 euros in late 2024. I'll get it off a key site for 25 euros max.

clarky

Gold Member
Whats with the questions in response to my question? I didn't say they weren't making money, I asked how much.

clarky

Gold Member
It would have sold the same overall. People who want to play God of War buy a Playstation. If you release day one the same playstation people will buy it on PC instead And they will eventually stop buying Playstations. There is no untapped second "Playstation games" market on PC bar maybe one game: Spider-man which is a Marvels IP, not a Playstation IP.
Of course there is. Release quality titles day and date or close to and sales would explode. Look at Helldivers 2. How much it would affect actual PS sales is unknown.

I'd argue the majority of Playstation gamers aren't interested in PC anyways.

Of course there is. Release quality titles day and date or close to and sales would explode. Look at Helldivers 2. How much it would affect actual PS sales is unknown.

I'd argue the majority of Playstation gamers aren't interested in PC anyways.
I should have been more precise. Helldivers 2 is not a "Playstation game" to me. A Playstation game is the kind of games they have been famous for: the Single Player games.

pudel

Neo Member
Just remove the psn requirement (or just make it optional) and everybody is happy. It could be so easy....but nah....lets push through this shit and than blame the pc gamers, if they dont buy it and due to the psn region lock are not even able to buy it....what a joke!

Bojji

Was gonna say I hate PC players, but I think I just hate people

I was called PS fanboy, Xbox fanboy and PC fanboy many times on this forum.

I just hate all big tech companies at this point and there is no reason not to (all of them want to fuck you with your money and data, they are not your friends). I play on platform that benefits ME the most at the moment.

They released a 2 year old game at full price.

In any case - this is Sony's decision. I'm not too fussed either way - the quality of Sony games has taken a huge dip this gen.

Out of Topic. Want to share couple of Screenshot of PC.
RTX 3080 12GB, DLSS Performance, Ultra Settings, on 4K.

Go-WR-2024-09-20-08-53-47-580.png

Go-WR-2024-09-20-08-54-19-278.png
Visually this looks really underwhelming. If you was to specifically talk about gameplay it looks like you can't even walk 10 yards without invisible walls all on top of you, these developers are not trying at all, that's crazy.

Weird, reading here I thought PC meant a 4090 with 4K DLAA for everyone, much cheaper than a PS5 Pro as well

Now I see people with a 1050Ti from 2016 trying to run GoW: Ragnarok

LOL

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hardly.

Yep, terrible tastes, I know.

MMaRsu

Could you link to where it shows these ports only cost a couple of Million? Im not disputing the fact, i'd just like to read up on it.
Just some random info

Budget Considerations​

Considering the above factors, the budget for porting a game can vary widely. For smaller projects, the costs might be $10,000 - $50,000, while large-scale endeavors, especially those involving significant adaptation or high-end games, could run into $1,000,000+. The final budget will depend on the game's size, complexity, the target platform's specifications, and the expertise of the team involved.

A Realistic Cost Estimation Porting a Game​

Given the variables, pinning down an exact cost can be challenging. However, based on industry standards and our experience, here's a general overview:

• Small-scale projects: For simpler games, costs can range from $5,000 to $20,000.
  • Medium-scale projects: More complex games might require a budget between $20,000 and $100,000.
  • Large-scale projects: High-end games with extensive content and complex mechanics can exceed $100,000+.

Top Bottom