• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Soule

Guys I went from mild interest to mega hype from this thread. Thanks so much for keeping me entertained. On the flip side... I have 2000 word essay due tomorrow I've barely started and it's nearly 10pm.

Fuck my life why do I do this to myself.

DogDude

Is there any way to order this from my phone so it'll be downloaded when I get home from work?

Also, any reviews yet

I suggest just getting it fellas. Reviews shouldn't be out for a while seeming as we only got the game yesterday and there's quite a lot to see and do. It's fantastic and fills a long unfilled void.

So this is expected to go up in the US at 12 pm EST? I'm living in Japan but have a US account so I'm kinda unsure about these kind of things.

I'll for sure stay awake until 1 am Japan time to get this and start trying it out since I have tomorrow off.

I suggest just getting it fellas. Reviews shouldn't be out for a while seeming as we only got the game yesterday and there's quite a lot to see and do. It's fantastic and fills a long unfilled void.

How much time played do you have so far?

(If you don’t mind my asking)

Cerium

Did you find all four of the
green buttons
?

I only found the two obvious ones at the start.

Is there any way to order this from my phone so it'll be downloaded when I get home from work?

Wondering about this too... I know you can redeem Wii U/3DS eShop codes at ec.nintendo.com/redeem and they will download after that, but I haven't figured out how to buy games via browser :(

weekev

Banned
Don't you bring that nonsense in here. This is a place for golf puns, not petty gripes putting grips.

Yep that was a rough post he better sling his hook before he gets sliced and diced. Thanks for being a driver for better posts and not allowing some bogey man to drive a wedge in the quality of these posts.

LotusHD

Banned

Honestly you're right, not like it costs that much anyways.

kizmah

A question for you already playing the game. I'm not a fan of golf as a sport, but I don't mind it in say Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, I even highly enjoy it there. And yet I find myself interested in this game, for the old school rpg light-feels and those charming graphics. Are golf mechanics fun enough and is there plenty of other bits of the game (the rpg bits if you will) for me to like this game anyway?

Cerium

A question for you already playing the game. I'm not a fan of golf as a sport, but I don't mind it in say Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, I even highly enjoy it there. And yet I find myself interested in this game, for the old school rpg light-feels and those charming graphics. Are golf mechanics fun enough and is there plenty of other bits of the game (the rpg bits if you will) for me to like this game anyway?

I don't play vanilla golf games and I have zero interest in real world golf. I'm enjoying this a whole lot. The mechanics are very solid and once you get them down, very intuitive. And you can golf literally anywhere lol.

And there is indeed a heavy emphasis on the characters and rpg elements. The story isn't "epic" (at least not in these opening hours) but it's charming as heck.

It's also got this quirky humor that is apparently Australian.

antispin

A little birdie told me that this game is a hole-in-one, so we should just go fore it. No need to hazard guesses on its quality; let's just iron out our differences and say putt it, we don't need reviews, I'm in. And no fucking puns please. We're better than that.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just a few more hours until this and Butcher drop, which will take my Switch library to an even 30 games. Kinda crazy since I've only had the system for a couple months.

Joffy

Neo Member
Damn I'm feeling such a Sergio of interest in this but I've got so much to do this weekend. Gah, cya later.

That Eurogamer review + impressions in this thread officially sold me on the game. Looks like I know what I'm playing for the rest of the week.

Cerium

I really didn't get any Earthbound vibes during what I've seen of the game, yet the reviewer spends like 2 paragraphs describing the game like that. I'm guessing the reviewer played way more than that but I wish 2D RPGs didn't immediately scream Earthbound to reviewers nowadays.

In my opinion, based on the few hours I've played, it's not quite as far out as Earthbound. Eurogamer played more than I did though. I almost wanna say the tone reminded me of Stardew Valley? Except funnier. There is a definite wacky humor and occasional bizarreness to it that probably invokes Earthbound for some people.

kizmah

I don't play vanilla golf games and I have zero interest in real world golf. I'm enjoying this a whole lot. The mechanics are very solid and once you get them down, very intuitive. And you can golf literally anywhere lol.

And there is indeed a heavy emphasis on the characters and rpg elements. The story isn't "epic" (at least not in these opening hours) but it's charming as heck.

It's also got this quirky humor that is apparently Australian.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you! Another Switch game bought, third since last week.

-GJ-

Did you find all four of the
green buttons
?

I only found the two obvious ones at the start.

From looking at the surroundings in one of the 'first 30 min' video's:

1. The obvious one to the left of the guy who says he's trying to hit the button
2. On the other side of the first one. To the right, across the water
3. Top left where the guy is hiding in the grass
4. Above the shed that needs you to press the 4 buttons to open it

Cerium

From looking at the surroundings in one of the 'first 30 min' video's:

1. The obvious one to the left of the guy who says he's trying to hit the button
2. On the other side of the first one. To the right, across the water
3. Top left where the guy is hiding in the grass
4. Above the shed that needs you to press the 4 buttons to open it

Thank you very much for that!

daxy

I saw the post earlier in the thread estimating it based on the number of areas, but is there any word on what the actual length of this game is? Didn't see it mentioned in the Eurogamer review.

Cerium

I saw the post earlier in the thread estimating it based on the number of areas, but is there any word on what the actual length of this game is? Didn't see it mentioned in the Eurogamer review.
Eurogamer actually describes it as "generous length."

It seems long just judging by all the stuff there is to do in the first area; there are a TON of secrets and sidequests which can probably lead to variable playtimes. I'm a completionist, I'm slow.

One of the early moments when I realized how well the RPG mechanics had been incorporated: There's a driving range where a guy challenges you to make increasingly further shots out onto various greens. At first the last challenge was actually impossible for me; only by leveling up and putting stats into Power (drive length) was I able to hit a ball that far out.

But for every point you put in Power, the rest of your stats (which affect accuracy and the like) suffers a penalty, meaning you need to spend points there too or else you'll be hitting far but going wide.

It's very thoughtfully balanced.

Top Bottom