• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Kouriozan

Still haven't bought because I'm scared I wouldn't understand key element since I'm not native english (like wtf is purity/degree draw and such), and that first zone music makes me sleepy.
I will need a big guide on how stats work before I jump in.

mstevens

I have a question before I start. Is there a max level aka should we worry about messing up a build? Or can you level up everything?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like this game's estimates on where the ball will be is FAR more of a rough guess than Everybody's

like if I got a little light on a putt it's like it doesnt move at all

Unison

I feel like this game's estimates on where the ball will be is FAR more of a rough guess than Everybody's

like if I got a little light on a putt it's like it doesnt move at all

Yeah, if you've played HSG or Mario Golf, be prepared to make a lot of adjustments in how you read the information that the game gives you.

The meter indicates the point of impact... You need to figure out/guess where the ball will roll beyond that, which makes the game feel off to me versus the other similar golf games.

Not a good/bad thing, per se, but for someone who's played hundreds of hours of similar games it requires definite change in my play style.

Brizzo24

I'm still knee-deep in Mario + Rabbids, otherwise I'd pick this up in a heartbeat.

What's funny is that i checked for updates on Golf Story regularly, waiting on baited breath for a release date--game is charming, looks really fun, and i love golf and 2D games.But now that the game's here, and reading through a few of your guys' complaints, maybe there'll be a community patch to address a lot of your concerns. Doesn't matter. I'll get it regardless. Just not in a hurry right now. Finish M+R then Golf Story will hold me over until Odyssey.

Few issues I've had with the game.

HD rumble stopped working altogether when I took the Switch out of the dock to play it handheld, I had to exit and reopen the game to get rumble again.

The game also didn't save properly, I played about 15 mins before I quit and when I loaded back up none of my progress had saved. I clicked save and quit so I don't know what happened.

nick_b

Did the player character's dad have his speech bubbles cut off in the beginning on everyone's copy of the game? Hopefully there is a quick patch to fix all these niggling little issues. Nothing I've encountered will keep me from playing the game so far. Everything else seems excellent.

Did the player character's dad have his speech bubbles cut off in the beginning on everyone's copy of the game? Hopefully there is a quick patch to fix all these niggling little issues. Nothing I've encountered will keep me from playing the game so far. Everything else seems excellent.

Yep I had that bug. Thought something was wrong when the player and his dad we're just standing there with nothing happening lol.

Definitely a few bugs to work out still.

mstevens

Yeah, if you've played HSG or Mario Golf, be prepared to make a lot of adjustments in how you read the information that the game gives you.

The meter indicates the point of impact... You need to figure out/guess where the ball will roll beyond that, which makes the game feel off to me versus the other similar golf games.

Not a good/bad thing, per se, but for someone who's played hundreds of hours of similar games it requires definite change in my play style.

Ohhh I'm not sure how I feel about that.

kizmah

Mine did, just at the very end of the conversation 2-3 bubbles were cut off. There are definitely som bugs in there. The camera gets of center for me while playing courses as well. And some music transitions could be slightly smoother. But none of these complaints take away from the fact that I had a lot of fun playing for about an hour and a half right now. Very charming game indeed and the golf mechanics are falling into place.

nick_b

Mine did, just at the very end of the conversation 2-3 bubbles were cut off. There are definitely som bugs in there. The camera gets of center for me while playing courses as well. And some music transitions could be slightly smoother. But none of these complaints take away from the fact that I had a lot of fun playing for about an hour and a half right now. Very charming game indeed and the golf mechanics are falling into place.

Totally agree. Don't let any of these issues turn you off, potential buyers. The game is still great and most of these will probably be an easy fix.

I'm assuming they didn't have many testers being so small of a team.

Great game so far. The golf is fun. Would like to see them try to add an online mode.

Also some of that music is REALLY Wii Sportsy.

The impact spot took some getting used to for sure.

Poppyseed

Thats concerning, but I play 99% of the time in handheld mode so surely its a non-issue in handheld mode?

I play 100% of the time in handheld mode. Coming from Everybody's Golf on the PS4 to playing Golf Story in handheld mode is hilariously less input-responsive. I've gotten used to it, but it's still something I'm conscious of.

Now at number 5 on the eShop charts. SteamWorld Dig 2 is at number 1, ThimbleWeed Park number 3, Sonic Mania number 2, Minecraft number 4.

So in seven hours Golf Story has sold more than Minecraft shifted over the last two weeks. Not bad!

kizmah

No? Precision mode just shows where the ball will impact if you hit it with less force on the meter.... not where it will end up after rolling.

Well no, but you get more control over where it will end up if you adjust/shorten impact point in precision mode. I mean, it would be to easy if you could actually see exactly how far the ball will roll after impact imo.

Fireblend

Banned
Now at number 5 on the eShop charts. SteamWorld Dig 2 is at number 1, ThimbleWeed Park number 3, Sonic Mania number 2, Minecraft number 4.

So in seven hours Golf Story has sold more than Minecraft shifted over the last two weeks. Not bad!

I don't want to see SWD2's drop from #1 :( that game's so good.

Game's amazing so far. Really charming. Love the graphics, dialogue, music, and gameplay. Who are these devs?

Can you turn vibration off from in the game, or do I have to back out to the main menu to do that? It's kind of obnoxious.

kizmah

Game's amazing so far. Really charming. Love the graphics, dialogue, music, and gameplay. Who are these devs?

Can you turn vibration off from in the game, or do I have to back out to the main menu to do that? It's kind of obnoxious.

You have to back out. There are no game options while ”in game”.

I'll wait it out a year or two. I feel that if this games gets a positive reception (like it seems to be getting based on impressions) there might be interest to make a physical version.

I wouldn't bet on a physical release. I believe this is the developers first game so they're probably trying to sell as many units as possible before doing anything else.

Top Bottom