• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Rezbit

This is a massive thread for a golf rpg indie game haha. Good to see some impressions that it's really whimsical and chill, about to buy it now!

lordy88

Does this work with the Pro Controller?

Just tried it on mine and couldn't get it to work. Totally a possibility that I'm just inept.

Use + and quit, you'll have an option to save&quit

That's the only way, I think

I think it also autosaves when you move to a new screen. I turned off the game after I ran into a glitch (I hit A to use the computer in the clubhouse when someone was in front of it and got stuck inside the npc), but I only I had to redo the things I did after entering the clubhouse.

Mudo

Just tried it on mine and couldn't get it to work. Totally a possibility that I'm just inept.

Been using mine all day no issues that’s weird you could enter the game and then it just didn’t work?

Pastry

Banned
Stoked to play this game later tonight but I have a bunch of family stuff to take care of between now and then 😭

nick_b

For those of you experiencing input lag, would you consider it a minor or major annoyance?

I'll be playing it on-the-go always, too.

I adjusted to it almost immediately by just hitting the button a half second before the marker gets to where I want it. I feel like I had to do the same with HSG on Vita. Basically it just becomes second nature after a while. Just try to press it right before instead of right when.

Unison

How's the pacing? Do the characters too much or too long? Do you have to grind for EXP?

No, they don't talk too long...

Yes, you need to grind a bit to do certain challenges (not to progress through the story, so far)... There are some challenges you can't do with base stats.

So far im enjoying the game, played about 2 hrs.. A few gripes, but so far nothing too deal breaking.

Solid overall - 15$ is a good price point for it.

This is a the devs first game right? Most of my issuses stem from presentation, design choices, and qol fixes. Would love to see a patch down the road.

Not noticing input lag - are people referring to the 3 click shot system? I mean i notice the input isn't perfectly timed, but i just took that as intended gameplay design and adjusted my timing accordingly.... not that difficult or big of a deal imo if thats what people are really complaining about

This is a the devs first game right? Most of my issuses stem from presentation, design choices, and qol fixes. Would love to see a patch down the road.

No one knew they existed until they announced this game. And they were on radio silence for most of its development. No one even knew their game was at TGS until the japanese publisher said so on Twitter mid-event.

And this is their first game. No kickstarter, no weird pre-release dev blog for years before getting it to publish. They just did it.

They are a mysterious bunch.

No, they don't talk too long...

Yes, you need to grind a bit to do certain challenges (not to progress through the story, so far)... There are some challenges you can't do with base stats.
I'm cool with some grinding but not the level of grinding in Everybody's Golf, so if it's a bit less here, this'll likely be a better experience.

pswii60

Just to be clear, so no one's mad about their purchase...

This game has its charms and seems like a great deal at $15.

But it's not a great golf game... it's even worse than Mario Golf GBC imo, in terms of physics and player feedback.

For example reading the greens is just indicated by one arrow in the corner that says Slope + a grade (e.g."slight) + a direction.

The starter course is also rife with gophers in story mode that will pick up your ball and randomly move it either 20 or 30 yards up or down the course, often putting it in a bunker. Sometimes this hurts you, sometimes it helps. You can see the zones that will activate the gophers via big red rings, but because it's hard to predict the ball's ultimate destination they can be difficult to avoid.

Maybe this changes later in the game, but it's not great as a golf sim.

I still enjoy it, but you can't go in expecting HSG or Mario Golf.
How does it stack up as a top-down RPG though? Looking at the gameplay videos it looks more RPG-lite than sports game. I almost bought this today but ended up jumping in on Picross.

Am I stupid?

A guy in the second area told me to buy a Thing from the Pro Store, but the pro store in area 1 doesn't seem to have anything in it and I can't see any others...

-GJ-

Am I stupid?

A guy in the second area told me to buy a Thing from the Pro Store, but the pro store in area 1 doesn't seem to have anything in it and I can't see any others...
You need to enter the building in the second area. If that one isn't open yet try doing some sidequests. It opened for me after a couple.

c1d

Just fired it up then, loving the art-style and the tone of the game so far!

Mine worked with it straight away

I know you didn't mean it this way, but that's kind of insulting to first-time indie devs/individuals working their asses off to make good products.
Of course not, I'm an indie myself. No disrespect meant. What I meant is that I find it hard to believe any developer can make a first game this good. There has to be developer history.

He's a bit harsh, but I'm not a fan either ONLY because you can't search the text.

BUT besides that, yes they do look great.
It should be a rule to include a hidden text version of the words used in the image.

Mudo

How does it stack up as a top-down RPG though? Looking at the gameplay videos it looks more RPG-lite than sports game. I almost bought this today but ended up jumping in on Picross.

Well, it has lots of exploring and secrets, levels with stats, side quests galore, really to me this is an actual RPG that uses golf as it’s mechanic. And it reminds me heavily of Stardew Valley it must be the graphics + music + chill vibe.

-GJ-

Of course not, I'm an indie myself. No disrespect meant. What I meant is that I find it hard to believe any developer can make a first game this good. There has to be developer history.
That's what I've been thinking. It looks way too ambitious for a first game by a tiny studio (isn't it just one guy?), and I think they've had a devkit for quite some time now, where some big name studio's don't even have dev kits yet.

Mudo

Sorry if it's been already asked and answered, but any word on how long the game is? At least the main campaign?

I am playing the 3rd course right now out of 8 and i’m at 5:30 - I’ve been taking my time and doing all the side quests and exploring for secrets. It already feels worth the $$ and i’m not halfway..

Mudo

Is some of the game 18 holes at once? Feel like that takes awhile. How is it usually split up

Been 9 so far but i’m not sure if there are 18 hole ones or not. On that note though, the holes are generally pretty large there have been very few easy short 3 par holes so far. It zooms around showing you the joke before you tee off and i’m like WTF lol some are just huge.

jrDev

Did anyone else spend a good 10 mins playing with the tv in the apartment at the beginning to see just what else was gonna come on? I expected a generic description like Pokémon but it turned out to be something different each time I watch the tv, and it’s always slightly funny stuff...

-GJ-

Sorry if it's been already asked and answered, but any word on how long the game is? At least the main campaign?

From the last page:

I've been playing since the game came out here, so excluding dinner I've been playing a small ~7 hours or so. I know next to nothing about golf and I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. It's just so relaxing and laidback. It kinda feels like Stardew Valley in a weird kinda way. I've just set foot in the 4th location out of 8, but that doesn't mean I've done everything in the previous locations. There always seem to be sidequests that you can't do yet because your skills and/or equipment aren't good enough yet, or because
a character from location A sets up a challenge in location B after you beat it
etc.

If anyone has a question about the game let me know and I'll try to answer it as best as possible.

Seems like it'll probably take 20+ hours to do everything. It's pretty hard to say how long it'll take to do just the main stuff, because some of the story stuff is locked behind having to do sidequests (which are all pretty great and varied so far).

Dmax3901

"Sucked In" is kinda like Nelson from the Simpsons "HA HA!" or a G rated "eat shit".

Can someone explain to me in simple terms the stats screen?

Power is self-explanatory but what the hell is everything else?

Can anyone further in the game give me a breakdown of the stats system?
From the previous page:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=250340099

I think the point is that you will need to level up power at some point, so you basically put points into the other categories as you also put points into power in order to make up for the losses.

It makes sense too. In the real world the harder you hit the ball the more skill you need to actually maintain the correct accuracy and spin.

And I'd add:

Increase power up, and try to keep everything else centred to keep your shot normal. Left of centre is worse. Right of centre is better.

When things are off centre the label under the stat tells you ever affect that will have on your shot.

Sometimes you'll want extra power and need to play with some other stat out of whack as a sacrifice. I find that a nice extra challenge. Having the flexibility to change your stats is great.

You can adjust stats at any time from the pause menu.

Did anyone else spend a good 10 mins playing with the tv in the apartment at the beginning to see just what else was gonna come on? I expected a generic description like Pokémon but it turned out to be something different each time I watch the tv, and it’s always slightly funny stuff...
oh man i just assumed it was a pokémon thing where it was just one show

sanstesy

I recommend everyone to fail at a task first when a character challenges you to do something. The dialogue is always hilarious.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
for the speech bubble font haters.
it looks less shit on the switch itself and on the tv.

screenshots/videos/streams don't do this game much justice.
oh and the music is horrible but you can mute it.

JJShadow

Golf Story is already at position #3 in the UK charts, just behing SWD 2 and Sonic Mania

Cannit fucking wait to dig into this tomorrow

Top Bottom