• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Unison

Just to be clear, so no one's mad about their purchase...

This game has its charms and seems like a great deal at $15.

But it's not a great golf game... it's even worse than Mario Golf GBC imo, in terms of physics and player feedback.

For example reading the greens is just indicated by one arrow in the corner that says Slope + a grade (e.g."slight) + a direction.

The starter course is also rife with gophers in story mode that will pick up your ball and randomly move it either 20 or 30 yards up or down the course, often putting it in a bunker. Sometimes this hurts you, sometimes it helps. You can see the zones that will activate the gophers via big red rings, but because it's hard to predict the ball's ultimate destination they can be difficult to avoid.

Maybe this changes later in the game, but it's not great as a golf sim.

I still enjoy it, but you can't go in expecting HSG or Mario Golf.

Ashodin

But it's not a great golf game... it's even worse than Mario Golf GBC imo, in terms of physics and player feedback.

For example reading the greens is just indicated by one arrow in the corner that says Slope + a grade (e.g."slight) + a direction.

The starter course is also rife with gophers in story mode that will pick up your ball and randomly move it either 20 or 30 yards up or down the course, often putting it in a bunker. Sometimes this hurts you, sometimes it helps. You can see the zones that will activate the gophers via big red rings, but because it's hard to predict the ball's ultimate destination they can be difficult to avoid.

I think most people here are expecting an RPG with golf attached. Which is what it is.

I play 100% of the time in handheld mode. Coming from Everybody's Golf on the PS4 to playing Golf Story in handheld mode is hilariously less input-responsive. I've gotten used to it, but it's still something I'm conscious of.

What's the latency of the Switch screen, anyway? I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, and it feels just as fast as my KS8000 in game mode, if not faster.

After looking at impressions this seems like a golf passion project. I'm not that passionate about golf so at $15 its gonna be a pass from me. If these devs ever do the same for a tennis game/tennis story, I'm all in.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Oh my god I'm loving this game. I am so happy with the golf mechanics. Story is good and the writing is fucking hilarious too lol.

ybl2EvL_d.jpg

Glix

What's the latency of the Switch screen, anyway? I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, and it feels just as fast as my KS8000 in game mode, if not faster.

From my small sample size it seems there is a little lag when using the shot meter, but it's def not any sort of input lag. Almost seems programmed that way... golf is hard and consistency is hard so maybe they were trying to get it to feel that way?

Golf bores me to tears and I love this game =/

My god your tag. I hope you didn't get lockjaw.

I doubt many/anyone expected the depth of golf mechanics that you would get in a traditional golf game. I certainly didn't.

Poppyseed

No chance it's as good as your KS8000. That's about 21ms, same as my OLED. I can't say if it's the game programmed this way or not. It's jut not anywhere near as responsive on the shot bar as I'd like. Again, I've played every Mario Golf and Hot Shots Golf game ever made. I'm obsessed with them. So it's easy for me to notice when something stands out.

Unison

I doubt many/anyone expected the depth of golf mechanics that you would get in a traditional golf game. I certainly didn't.

I don't think there was much information about the game pre-release, so I expected Mario Golf GBC-style gameplay.

This is in some ways (e.g. reading the green) less of a simulation than that, so I'm just helping to let people make a more informed decision while purchasing.

Mudo

Ok i agree do NOT buy this game if you are looking for accurate golf. This is a super charming RPG-adventure game that happens to revolve around golf. I think it’s a total joy to play and have been at it for almost 4 hours now - I just can’t stop lol.

If you want a really charming/funny story, quests that use golf in bizarre and cool ways to solve problems, gorgeous visuals, relaxing music etc, this is for you. Yes there are courses but so far they have gimmicks which mix things up/ not just straight up holes with fairways/bunkers/greens but i think that makes it unique and fun - YMMV. 3 shot mechanic works great the only issue i have with the actual golfing is the greens where it’s hard to read from 1 green arrow what the grade is. But whatever this game is a GEM I am in love.

Robin64

If you're having latency on the Switch screen itself, that's very weird.

In the Thumper OT, everyone was absolutely praising the Switch screen, saying it was way better than any TV they had tried for that game.

Ashodin

Never played any golf videogame before. Can anybody explain how the gauge meter works?

You first check the distance of your shot. Then you press A.

Then the meter shows up. You press A, and it starts from the right and moves left. The farther left you let the meter go before you press A again there determines the POWER behind your shot.

Then in the strike zone (purple) where you press A there and stop it determines the spin on the ball.

Given the game's 900MB file size I'm assuming it's made with Unity (someone please check by going to the intellectual property notices via pressing +/- on the game's icon at the home screen) which could explain the input lag.

Unison

If you're having latency on the Switch screen itself, that's very weird.

In the Thumper OT, everyone was absolutely praising the Switch screen, saying it was way better than any TV they had tried for that game.

I haven't run into any latency issues, playing in docked mode.

Mudo

Given the game's 900MB file size I'm assuming it's made with Unity (someone please check by going to the intellectual property notices via pressing +/- on the game's icon at the home screen) which could explain the input lag.

“Made with Unity”

No lag that i have noticed either “docked”. Strange...

I’ve been playing exclusively in handheld mode and haven’t noticed any lag at all

Yeah, but the actual golf mechanics are fairly poor... just so people understand that!

The game's decent for the price though... don't get me wrong!

I don’t think the golf mechanics are poor, they’re just very simple, which they should be for this game

I don’t think the golf mechanics are poor, they’re just very simple, which they should be for this game

Yeah I agree with this. In fact the precision mode is a step up even from Mario Golf GBC.

Really the main issue is in judging wind and bounce, and a lot of that will come down to getting a bit more experience with how those factors work in game. The simple green slopes don't bother me at all.

jariw

“Made with Unity”

No lag that i have noticed either “docked”. Strange...

I feel a small input lag. Coming directly from Steamworld Dig 2, it feels very apparent. Not that it seems to matter that much in this game, though.

Levelling up seems a bit weird. Putting points into power reduces all your other stats by quite a bit which just puts me off applying points into power.

I didn’t find this that hard actually. The gophers stole my ball once or twice, but it didn’t seem difficult to guess where it’d end up.

Levelling up seems a bit weird. Putting points into power reduces all your other stats by quite a bit which just puts me off applying points into power.

I think the point is that you will need to level up power at some point, so you basically put points into the other categories as you also put points into power in order to make up for the losses.

It makes sense too. In the real world the harder you hit the ball the more skill you need to actually maintain the correct accuracy and spin.

This game will suck you in with it's coziness, I swear. It's fun once you get the hang of it. I'm still figuring out the stats breakdown. If anyone could help with that, it would be grand. Can't wait to see what more this game holds.

sanstesy

I'm interested in this game because this game seems simpler in terms of golf mechanics, doesn't revolve only around a complex golf mechanic and when it does it always does something unique with the mechanic.

I think the reason for the relatively huge interest in this title is because of exactly that reason. I don't enjoy just golf/sports specific games but I'm totally down for this kind of game every single time.

Yeah and as someone mentioned above - the gophers weren't a problem at all. The game is very easy and forgiving on you at the start of the game.

styl3s

I think most people here are expecting an RPG with golf attached. Which is what it is.
I don't know how anyone could get "golf sim" out of any of the footage/trailers shown. It's 100% a RPG with golf tacked on and it was never billed as a golf sim.

It's a fun goofy charming "golf" game. I love it.

Mudo

I'm interested in this game because this game seems simpler in terms of golf mechanics, doesn't revolve only around a complex golf mechanic and when it does it always does something unique with the mechanic.

I think the reason for the relatively huge interest in this title is because of exactly that reason. I don't enjoy just golf/sports specific games but I'm totally down for this kind of game every single time.

Yeah and as someone mentioned above - the gophers weren't a problem at all. The game is very easy and forgiving on you at the start of the game.

Let me clarify that EVERYTHING so far in the game revolves around golf but it isn’t all playing golf courses. They went hog wild with crazy ideas on other ways to use golf balls and clubs and it breaks up the actual courses you play. An RPG :)

lotufo

Neo Member
For those of you experiencing input lag, would you consider it a minor or major annoyance?

I'll be playing it on-the-go always, too.

-GJ-

I've been playing since the game came out here, so excluding dinner I've been playing a small ~7 hours or so. I know next to nothing about golf and I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. It's just so relaxing and laidback. It kinda feels like Stardew Valley in a weird kinda way. I've just set foot in the 4th location out of 8, but that doesn't mean I've done everything in the previous locations. There always seem to be sidequests that you can't do yet because your skills and/or equipment aren't good enough yet, or because
a character from location A sets up a challenge in location B after you beat it
etc.

If anyone has a question about the game let me know and I'll try to answer it as best as possible.

Spades

Wow, played for 2 hours on my train journey earlier and absolutely loved it. Didn't want to stop playing! Just arrived at the second area.

I don't know how anyone could get "golf sim" out of any of the footage/trailers shown. It's 100% a RPG with golf tacked on and it was never billed as a golf sim.

It's a fun goofy charming "golf" game. I love it.
Yeah criticising this game for not being a good golf sim is missing everything that this game is going for

Top Bottom