• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Robin64

Spoke to a lady who said her kid wouldn’t come out of the water and then I couldn’t move, open menus, anything. Had to close the game.

Americans really don't know what sausage rolls are...intresting. Must be a commonwealth thing, because I'm Canadian and I've had those.

Mainland EU (Netherlands) and know them as well.
Belgium and Germany know them as well.
Maybe not exactly the Same, but similar.

Now to get the kids to go to bed so I can start the game 😂

Mudo

Fucking amazing so far. If you liked mario golf by Camelot then run to the store and purchase now! The game has SO MUCH charm. The graphics are retro but beautiful, chill soundtrack, open areas to run around doing quests to level up (and increase stats on each level), it’s hitting alllll the right places for me. How did and unknown indie manage to make something so great?! Anyways that’s just from an hour of playing - can’t wait to play all afternoon - more impressions later.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This looks / sounds amazing and I will definitely be picking this up

Robin64

This is amazing. It feels like what we’d have got if Camelot carried on with the Mario Golf GBC formula and this is where we are now.

Music gets better in the second area. Not very complicated tunes. But fine.

Really hoping putting gets more difficult? I really want t complex greens to have to read. A single slope per green isn't enough.

Otherwise loving it.

Could it be this has been made an a side project by some developers who work for a larger company? Seems too polished for an indie with no track record.

Zomba13

Spoke to a lady who said her kid wouldn’t come out of the water and then I couldn’t move, open menus, anything. Had to close the game.

Also be careful when there is someone on a computer. You can talk tot hem but you can also "use" the computer and it puts you in their spot then you can't move. Luckily the save+quit option just saves and puts you at the start of an area and doesn't keep your position.

The game is really charming so far but I'm a little lost. How should I know when to use a different iron? How do I measure distance on the bar? What's a wood iron? I really don't know much about the mechanics of golf.

ghibli99

Could it be this has been made an a side project by some developers who work for a larger company? Seems too polished for an indie with no track record.
I know you didn't mean it this way, but that's kind of insulting to first-time indie devs/individuals working their asses off to make good products.

DarkKyo

What do people estimate this will get for scores? Just want to pull the trigger and buy/start downloading it but I'm curious if there are any shortcomings.

The Wart

Also be careful when there is someone on a computer. You can talk tot hem but you can also "use" the computer and it puts you in their spot then you can't move. Luckily the save+quit option just saves and puts you at the start of an area and doesn't keep your position.

Grr. This kinda thing is super off-putting. It's fine on Steam where you can get a hotfix out ASAP, but given how long it takes for patches to come out on the Switch it is a much bigger issue. Slime-san had a 100% guaranteed hard-crash that didn't get fixed for almost two months.

What do people estimate this will get for scores? Just want to pull the trigger and buy/start downloading it but I'm curious if there are any shortcomings.

I would expect a lot of 8s. I really liked the first 30-minutes I just played during lunch. It seems a bit simple/easy so far, but I’m hoping that is mostly just the tutorial area.

I really like how putting points into power causes your other stats to suffer (as you would expect to happen).

I'm also pretty happy you can get up to like level 5 before you even do your first match. Lots of little challenges just in the first area.

Shahadan

I found a few spots where they messed up the terrain or forgot to fix a tile or two at some point. Like two plain square green tiles instead of a river/lake border, that sort of stuff.

Kinda funny

The game is really charming so far but I'm a little lost. How should I know when to use a different iron? How do I measure distance on the bar? What's a wood iron? I really don't know much about the mechanics of golf.

Just switch between clubs and look at how the distance arrow moves around. Except if you are out in rough and switch to the putter. Then don't believe its lies...

Pressing Y changes to precision mode where you can pull back the distance and get an marker on the power bar too see where you should aim for power wise.

Bunch of other stuff you can do but sooner or later someone will write up an control guide.

low-G

Yeah I’m real impressed with it so far. Love how freeform everything feels.

Got a hole in one in the tutorial and the game reacted appropriately.

mazillion

Just switch between clubs and look at how the distance arrow moves around. Except if you are out in rough and switch to the putter. Then don't believe its lies...

Pressing Y changes to precision mode where you can pull back the distance and get an marker on the power bar too see where you should aim for power wise.

Bunch of other stuff you can do but sooner or later someone will write up an control guide.

Speaking of controls, the game doesn't tell you but clicking the right stick when making a shot will zoom the camera out. I'm sure some people will be wondering how to get a better view.

Thank you for the help.

MattAces

Longer than 8 hours is all I can say at the moment. No idea how long completion takes.

Which "unique environment" are you in now? Since there's 8 of them. Also is it an open ended game or a linear story game?
I'm debating between this or wait for Stardew Valley.

Which "unique environment" are you in now? Since there's 8 of them. Also is it an open ended game or a linear story game?

The story is linear but you're free to roam and revisit areas. There's no waypoints or checklists so you're always free to go where you like. I'm currently in the Halloween area.

Mr. F

Banned
Music gets better in the second area. Not very complicated tunes. But fine.

Really hoping putting gets more difficult? I really want t complex greens to have to read. A single slope per green isn't enough.

Otherwise loving it.

Thats good to hear about the music. Underwhelming music typically doesn't bother me in games but watching videos of the first area gameplay it was borderline sedative

Shahadan

Yeeaa forgot about that lol.
need to buy a bracelet but proshop isnt sellling it like they say. And where is the digging tool:eek:

Just in case, they talk about the proshop for that zone, you need
to complete the deep rough challenge to the east for it to open and sell the bracelet.

Hyoukokun

I'm debating between this or wait for Stardew Valley.

This will be faster to play through than Stardew, virtually no matter what (assuming you play through 2 in-game years in Stardew, you're looking at 60-70 hours minimum).

Looking forward to playing this on my ride home tonight!

Chessr

Just in case, they talk about the proshop for that zone, you need
to complete the deep rough challenge to the east for it to open and sell the bracelet.

Hmm i am pretty sure i did that one. The only one i have to the right is
where u have to hit green or fairway 10 times with No mistakes

Shahadan

Hmm i am pretty sure i did that one. The only one i have to the right is
where u have to hit green or fairway 10 times with No mistakes

Pretty sure that's 10 tries but eventually you have to put the ball in the hole :p
And the deep rough is two challenges after that. Easy check, if there is a blue haired girl on that screen, you have not completed it

Top Bottom