• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

The Giant

Banned
no shame on you using that horrible word

It's not seen as a bad word here in Aussieland. It's most used as a positive thing to say to a mate. It's another word for mate. If you call someone a mad or sick cunt, you are calling them a legend. Basically here in Australia it's a complement.

I use that word when I'm mocking bogans. When I put on a bogan voice, I say something like this "chuck us a ciggy, cunt"

Played around a bit in the starting area, its fun though the humor falls completely flat for me. How long till the game goes off the rails in crazy golf fantasy land?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Put in 4.5 hours, just finished the second course. Great game. Humor is on point, golfing feels intuitive, disc golf is different enough to really feel like it's own thing, and it really is an RPG where the solution to every quest is golf.

It's insane that this came out at $15. Hell of a deal.

Has anyone else noticed very quick single black lines appearing across the screen for a milisecond when entering a new area/doing something that changes what's on the screen? Am I hallucinating?

XaosWolf

Played around a bit in the starting area, its fun though the humor falls completely flat for me. How long till the game goes off the rails in crazy golf fantasy land?

If the second course with its cavemen and tar put isn't good enough then course 3 has you covered with
a "plot" involving the groundskeeper, brainwashed molerats and a minor army of the undead.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Has anyone else noticed very quick single black lines appearing across the screen for a milisecond when entering a new area/doing something that changes what's on the screen? Am I hallucinating?
I've had them appear once, when I had a very long shot due to two turtle bounces. You're not imagining it.

Liking what I’ve played so far. Seems like exactly what i was hoping for. Just finished the first actual round of golf and definitely look forward to more.

Edit: meant to ask...do we know how long the story is?

Area 2 help needed
what do you do for the turtle, all I have are areas with question marks when I use them. I returned the idol so I don't see how it ties in

This game has a problem relaying info for where I need to go and what I need to do next.

Decided to get this instead of Steamworld Dig 2.

I don't get the hate for the dialogue box and font, and I'm pretty much a font nazi irl.

Lovely game, absolutely hilarious at times.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Area 2 question:

Where is the Lurker course pro shop? I need the bracelet. The only building I see is locked.
Go to the area to the right and challenge the 3 golfers.
Area 2 help needed
what do you do for the turtle, all I have are areas with question marks when I use them. I returned the idol so I don't see how it ties in

This game has a problem relaying info for where I need to go and what I need to do next.
The turtles are hanging out around a golf course in the area. Find them all and bring them to the yellow circles.

Finn

Enjoying this quite a bit. Just finished the first course. Terrible at putting, however. For some reason, the direction in which the slope is going to carry my ball just simply does not register with me. :\

R0ckman

I got one bug for sure, maybe two. The definite bug was when I knocked the kid in the head who was in the water. Games focus pushed further up so my character was fixed to the lower end of the screen, had to restart. Another bug, I failed a challenge and got a game over, as the game booted me to the title? I think I had one more where the screen went dark for about 20 seconds when I was moving to another course.

Is the minigolf club worth the price?

Doorman

Textbook.

I really appreciate the game's...earnestness(?) so far. Even just in the first area you can tell they took the idea of "let's make a golf RPG in the vein of the old Camelot handheld efforts" and dialed it all up with their own spin, and so far it's been a very positive experience. This feels like it's going to be a really great "cozy" game to just zone with for an hour or so regularly.

My only criticism so far is probably a detail with the music, not the compositions themselves but the fact that the bass guitar riffs and stuff sound great and really genuine, but the sax parts sound really tinny and artificial in comparison, which creates a lack of consistency when listening. The compositions set a good tone for the on-course antics though.

Naar

Area 2 help needed

While i agree with you,the game has a notes section that tells you what to do for every quest you unlock

Gambit61

lol I thought this was some new sports rpg game by Camelot like the GBC Mario Tennis game that I loved. Still might check this out once more people complete this and give their opinions.

Doorman

lol I thought this was some new sports rpg game by Camelot like the GBC Mario Tennis game that I loved. Still might check this out once more people complete this and give their opinions.

I mean...by nearly all accounts this game is still very much in the vein of those Camelot classics, just without Mario and Co. showing up at the end. I owned the GBC Mario Tennis and GBA Mario Golf Advance Tour and this definitely follows a lot of that blueprint.

Gotta do the archiologist’s quest.

I’ve got an area two question of my own:
How do I ‘feed the 10 fish’? And how do I find the baby turtles?

Hit the little white mushroom balls that are around waters edges into the red target areas. Turtles are located around the wee course

ggx2ac

The real winner is doing a drop shot into water or out of bounds. They manage to make the rumble itself into a sound effect! Its easier to ear when you have the joycons in the grip.

That and if you listen closely to the rumble when you chuck golf balls at people with the X button.

phanphare

Banned
played a bit and did the 3 hole match against that other kid

this game is awesome so far

I'm a rumble truther but they seemed to have gone a bit far with everything having rumble. I do love the "beeeewwwww" that it does when a character's text bubble rotates lol. that was really cool, I never would have thought of using the rumble to indicate the tone of what's being said.

Hit the little white mushroom balls that are around waters edges into the red target areas. Turtles are located around the wee course

And how do I get that?

you need to buy the digger wedge from pro shop after beating the fairway/rough/deeprough quest... the radar is from archeologist quest, he asks you to help him dig (with your wedge), in the right screen, forget when/what are the prereqs for his quest to pop other than buying the special wedge

While i agree with you,the game has a notes section that tells you what to do for every quest you unlock
They are pretty vauge though, I mean to be fair most of the time I feel like an idiot afterwords but in the moment if the clues don't hit me i stay confused. Don't get me wrong is a strong 8.5 from me but I have some real problems with it. But what's great about it offsets any of the frustration.

Top Bottom