• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Mudo

Someone mentioned ~20ish was their guess based off how far they were.

Whether thats 100% sode quests or just sped through main story i dont know...

I’m at 9 hours now and almost done the 4th of 8 courses, doing as much as i can in the game. My guess is 20-30 hours total depending on whether the game ramps up the farther along you get. I know I’ve said it a lot here today but this game for me, is pure magic. I haven’t played a game for 8 hours straight i longer than i can remember it’s just that good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in! Didn't have a chance to play tonight cause fam was super busy. I'm locked and loaded for the weekend doe!

20170929_003410hhaed.png

Pastry

Banned
Not a golfer so I could use some help about what hitting different parts of the ball effects when you press x.

Hitting the top half of the ball causes it to drop quicker and dribble?

Hitting the bottom half of the ball will keep it in the air longer and it’ll bounce more once it lands?

What about right/versus left? Not much effect other than hooking?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not a golfer so I could use some help about what hitting different parts of the ball effects when you press x.

Hitting the top half of the ball causes it to drop quicker and dribble?

Hitting the bottom half of the ball will keep it in the air longer and it’ll bounce more once it lands?

What about right/versus left? Not much effect other than hooking?

Top half is top spin. So it'll hit and kick off further forward

Bottom half is back spin. So when it hits it should spin the ball back towards you.

If you have a soccer/football or basketball in real life you can try it. Just spin the ball forward and let it land and see how it goes. Then spin it backwards and see.

ghibli99

I love this game. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be, and more. It made me laugh out loud within its first minute. The dialogue is full of life and reads so naturally. Small details in the animation are really good too. As much as I love Stardew (I put 150~200 hours into it), this makes that game look so stiff by comparison. I also appreciate that your character can run around so swiftly.

Doesn't precision mode pretty much trivializes the gameplay? It shows you exactly where to hit.
I thought so at first too, but it doesn't guarantee that the ball will land right on that spot, especially on longer shots.

ggx2ac

Lucky that the game auto-saves.

I threw a golf ball at the guy next to the mini golf lounge, ran towards the entrance, got stopped but the character wouldn't move at all and none of the buttons would work either.

Game didn't freeze completely, just my controls froze. Had to close the game and start from where it last auto-saved.

nikos

Should I buy this game if I couldn't care less about golf, but still have had fun with games like Everybody's Golf?

I already know you're all going to say yes.

Also, how's the difficulty?

Pastry

Banned
I get all the ruckus about the text bubbles initially but after seeing them in action for a couple of hours I think that they just work perfectly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Should I buy this game if I couldn't care less about golf, but still have had fun with games like Everybody's Golf?

Haha yeah I would say definitely. Don't give a shit about golf but it's very easy to understand and actually fun.

The game is actually pretty easy. Occasionally you get a tough challenge but I always beat it within 3 tries.
I'm about 4ish hours into the game.

nikos

Haha yeah I would say definitely. Don't give a shit about golf but it's very easy to understand and actually fun.

The game is actually pretty easy. Occasionally you get a tough challenge but I always beat it within 3 tries.
I'm about 4ish hours into the game.

Thanks! Going to pick it up right now lol

jdstorm

Banned

Do you like RPGs and SNES art?

If ao yes.

Difficulty is fine. Golf is a turn based sport. There is a small reaction event but nothing major that will cause you too much of a problem

played a quick game since i have to head to bed soon.

My very first hole I almost got an eagle on a par 4 without knowing any of the controls.
after 9 holes, i still don't know all the holes, but I went OOB so many times.

holy hell, this game is so much harder than Everybody's Golf. I love it so far.
I can't wait to start the story mode.

I'm going to presume that the story mode goes over the little controls like back spin, top spin, and side spin.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Game is great so far but it's an odd feeling to be stats-based. Missed a crazy short putt because my ball wildly veered off to the side out of nowhere.

Jagsrock

Banned
This game is fantastic.everything I hoped it would be. I love that you can literally tee off from anywhere.lots of things to get distracted with and the dialogue is quite funny.Not to mention the game looks gorgeous. Frisbee...I mean disc golf is also pretty cool.

ggx2ac

Game is great so far but it's an odd feeling to be stats-based. Missed a crazy short putt because my ball wildly veered off to the side out of nowhere.

That was due to the slope, you should notice it on the right of the screen where it usually says slightly and has an arrow pointing in the direction where the green is sloping.

Opa-Pa

Man, it's pretty weird how this game is exactly what I wanted from it, except with pretty good humor too, which I didn't expect. Out of damn nowhere indeed.

I just played like 3 hours straight, and I was only trying it out lol. Made it to the second course.

Getting chip in birdies is so satisfying.

... the soundtrack is evocative of Shawn Lee's excellent drum and bass grooves from Bully. I love the soundtrack!!

I was trying to remember the exact thing the music reminds me of and that's it! It's pretty reminiscent of Bully's, I love it.

Just wanted to say that the feedback in this game feels great. Very satisfying sound effects and great use of HD rumble.
Yep.

The joycons give a nice 'swirling' feeling when you land a put. Coupled with the sound effect, it's really satisfying.

This game is extremely well put together. So much so that I find it hard to believe that this is Sidebar's first ever game.

ggx2ac

Again, lucky the game auto-saves.

This game definitely has a few bugs which involve freezing the game.

I was at the quest where you
eradicate the undead who control the molerats, as soon I did my first swing off the golf cart
the game froze completely, had to go to the home menu and close the game and start it again.

ggx2ac

How does one control the disc?!

Throw it, or hold X to throw it a longer distance.

When thrown, just hold up or down to change the trajectory, it can manage to stay in the air for a long time even spinning around in circles.

It took me quite a few attempts to get use to it.

Top Bottom