• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Gryph

Gosh darn, this game turned out to be real fun...

I love it when a little game pops up like this and it's a blast to play. Gives me real classic RPG vibes. Having a blast so far.

kizmah

This game definitely has a few bugs which involve freezing the game.

And other bugs as well. Text bubbles being cut off during the intro, camera gets off center sometimes, vertical black lines pop up on some courses, jarring music transitions. I can live with these cause the game is so damn charming and fun but there is definitely need for a patch. It's extra easy to spot these blemishes coming of the perfection that is Steamworld dig 2.

I'm enjoying the game and definitely worth the price of admission, but I can't help to be just a tad let down on how easy/simple the golf mechanics are. I don't expect a golf sim by any stretch, but I feel like the golf gameplay is a step down from the older Camelot Mario Golf games when they were doing them with an RPG element too. Most notable is the putting just isn't good compared to other games.

Shahadan

I had zero bugs in 5 hours so far, I consider myself Lucky on this one.

I'm disappointed by the relative lack of interactivity with the environment though, I expected more

tsundoku

I'm enjoying the game and definitely worth the price of admission, but I can't help to be just a tad let down on how easy/simple the golf mechanics are. I don't expect a golf sim by any stretch, but I feel like the golf gameplay is a step down from the older Camelot Mario Golf games when they were doing them with an RPG element too. Most notable is the putting just isn't good compared to other games.

How many areas have you actually completed because the putting definitely gets more complicated and the 4 stage challenge right at the beginning of world 2 is definitely thoughtful

Mudo

Finished the tutorial part. Looks great. Plays pretty great. Hope there's a ton of content!

4 courses and 8 hours in I can safely say that this game has lots of content. Areas brimming with things like disc golf, the coins stashes, the guy with the alternative holes, mini golf, bonus shots, side quests in every area etc. I’m shocked at how dense the game is really. This is going to be in my top 10 of the year for sure unless something horrid happens in the back 9 of the game (ugh). =]

How many areas have you actually completed because the putting definitely gets more complicated and the 4 stage challenge right at the beginning of world 2 is definitely thoughtful

I just finished World 2.

One of my problems with the putting is in past Camelot golf games, the green had all sorts of terrain to it that you'd have to factor in when putting. Here it seems like there's only a single indicator which simplifies the putting significantly.

Pastry

Banned
I forgot a quest in the first area. Where do I get the red bandanna or whatever?

bottom left side of the main area there will be a green with a hole that has a red flag. Hit the pole with the flag with your ball while it is in the air and the flag will drop. You can pick it up once that happens.

Cerium

bottom left side of the main area there will be a green with a hole that has a red flag. Hit the pole with the flag with your ball while it is in the air and the flag will drop. You can pick it up once that happens.

Did the trick, thanks!

I just finished World 2.

One of my problems with the putting is in past Camelot golf games, the green had all sorts of terrain to it that you'd have to factor in when putting. Here it seems like there's only a single indicator which simplifies the putting significantly.

Yeah, lack of putting green curves etc is about my only minor criticism so far, that and that some of the deeper gameplay aspects can be a little obtuse, e.g. using Zl/r or X while lining up a shot, or levelling in general. I'm sure these will become clearer though and the feel of the overall package is fantastic.

SamNW

Can someone explain how you actually use L/R for spin? I’ve been trying, but it doesn’t seem to work. I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong.

kami_sama

Can someone explain how you actually use L/R for spin? I’ve been trying, but it doesn’t seem to work. I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong.
L and R are for the top and back spin.
Top spin makes the ball go a little further, while back spin makes it slow down, and even sometimes go back for a small distance.
It's like a football, if you make it spin away from you and drop it, it will go forward, and viceversa.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Having a real hard time on Area 2
I cant run the course in 30 seconds...I am not fast enough. No matter what I do (avoiding tar, sand, etc) I can never make it back to him on time. I barely make it to the 7th hole, and then my time is up.
Any suggestions?

SamNW

L and R are for the top and back spin.
Top spin makes the ball go a little further, while back spin makes it slow down, and even sometimes go back for a small distance.
It's like a football, if you make it spin away from you and drop it, it will go forward, and viceversa.
Haha I understand the concept of topspin and backspin. I should have been clearer. How do you do it? It doesn’t seem like it’s doing anything when I press L/R.

I cant run the course in 30 seconds...I am not fast enough. No matter what I do (avoiding tar, sand, etc) I can never make it back to him on time. I barely make it to the 7th hole, and then my time is up.
Any suggestions?

Really, you are pushing the run button right? I just took an dry run to realize where I should be going and then did it on the first try.

One of the problems I have with this game, besides the little bugs, it's the lack of an italian translation. Some sentences are really hard for me to understand.
With this said, I can't wait to go home and play it again.

Cerium

Any suggestions?
Are you actually hitting the markers? They're pink circles iirc. I recall fucking up a lot and still being able to just make it.

One of the problems I have with this game, besides the little bugs, it's the lack of an italian translation. Some sentences are really hard for me to understand.
With this said, I can't wait to go home and play it again.

Some of it is hard for Americans to understand! It's Australian English.

BizzyBum

This game is sooooo good.

So simple yet so addictive. I prefer this over realistic golf games.

What is everyone leveling up, power and precision?

Haha I understand the concept of topspin and backspin. I should have been clearer. How do you do it? It doesn’t seem like it’s doing anything when I press L/R.

This had me stumped too!
Press 'A' to enter shot mode and then use the left stick to choose where to hit the balls. Then hit 'A' again to start the shot.

Golf Story is now charting at number 2 on the eShop, 19 hours after release. Congrats to Sidebar Games!

It probably won't unseat SteamWorld Dig 2 until that game is over two weeks old.

Kevtones

EDIT: Had a weird glitch earlier. It was on the Lurker Valley course. Hole 2/3 was skipped over during the 7-hole battle with the female student. The screen went black (music continue) after the hole and it spit us out to a couple holes past where we'd played. Luckily it gave me victories for those unplayed holes but it was weird.

EDIT: I had a 13 after a six (6) holes on the 14 hole quest. HOLE IN ONE. Clutch.

Really enjoying this game. It's not perfect but its flaws seem fixable in a promising way for a first-time dev. There's a polish here I'm surprised by, poor UI aside. I'm really enjoying the openness, digging the variety of quests, and really, the genuine OLD RPG feel of this game. I love that I never know what to expect from a quest. Stuff feels fresh, continually.

Feels like I'm playing a SNES/PS1game from a larger pub.

Music isn't great, it's serviceable and there. It's not bad in any way it's just not adding anything.

Kaban

Just two hours in and finished most of the first area. Really fun so far, and the dialogue is great. There are a couple kinks that need to be ironed out, such as speech bubbles getting cut off by the edge of the screen, or some odd camera issues, but hopefully that can get sorted in a patch down the road.

Not bad for my first indie on a Nintendo console. Can’t wait to try more!

This game is everything I wanted it to be. Simple golf fun with rpg stylings. Perhaps lacking a bit of depth but hardly enough to be distracting. Game is challenging enough up through world 4. Love all the side quests and I know there are many more.

Props to the aussies that made this.

How's the battery drain on this? I may or may not be asking because its proximity to the SNES Classic launch is a recipe for small-scale but impulsive financial irresponsibility.

dafortune

I had 10 people in my friends list playing this at one point. I think it's gonna be successful. Fun game, golf mechanics are kinda simple (still fun) but there's a lot of gameplay variety so far and the game is just so damn charming.

i'm so in love with this game
mostly i'm the guy that shouts that consoles need exclusives no matter what, but i hope this gets released at least on Steam, i want everyone to play it.

How's the battery drain on this? I may or may not be asking because its proximity to the SNES Classic launch is a recipe for small-scale but impulsive financial irresponsibility.
I think Switch is in low clock mode.
It doesn't geht es warm as when running i.e. BotW.

I also request a rundown on how the stats work.

Game is great and the music has grown on me.
Area 2 music ist also much easier on the ears.

Top Bottom