• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

ggx2ac

I've upgraded from chucking golf balls at people to doing that drop shot: hold Y to chuck ball in air, hit it in mid-air with golf club, hits person right in front of you.

how do i feed the fish?
am stuck, hitting the red rings don't work

What everyone else said and not all 10 of them are in the one place.

jdstorm

Banned
Could be wrong but stats are basically

1. Power. How far your average drive goes
2. Purity. How far the ball slices/hooks when you miss the center of the target on your swing
3.Strike. how forgiving the target area of your swing is
4.Ability. not sure
5.spin. controls the spin of the ball when it lands. Backspin will help it stop, topspin rolls the ball forward.

Bonus tip.

Always level up power once you reach a new level since you can remove points from it and redistribute them at any time. This isn't true of the other abilities.

They really need to add an option to turn the HD rumble down on this. My only complaint so far but I didn't have a lot of time to play it yet. Other than that it's pretty great.

Zutrax

Only played about an hour last night and I'm adoring how unique and charming this game is. It's making me want to pick up Stardew Valley for my Switch, as I haven't played that yet.

However, I'm a bit hung up on something. There are obvious spots to tee up that are numbered throughout the starting area, but I can't quite seem to tell exactly which flag goes to which tee up spot. I try putting to one of the flags but if I don't get a hole in one it just stops me from continuing to golf for that spot. Am I misunderstanding these areas?

After 24 hours how is it holding up?

I didn't pull the trigger or swing the driver yet because I know you Switch owners will BUY LITERALLY ANYTHING cuz no games and all, but yeah how is it? Honeymoon or actual good game?

I got $20 eBucks burning a hole in my digital wallet, but Picross and Steamworld also exist soooo

Game is amazingly fun. Whoever likes oldschool RPG is in for a treat. Lots to do and discover, good humor, great gfx, HD rumble, the complete package. Music is a bit hit and miss imo but that's it. Buy it! Crikey!

Only played about an hour last night and I'm adoring how unique and charming this game is. It's making me want to pick up Stardew Valley for my Switch, as I haven't played that yet.

However, I'm a bit hung up on something. There are obvious spots to tee up that are numbered throughout the starting area, but I can't quite seem to tell exactly which flag goes to which tee up spot. I try putting to one of the flags but if I don't get a hole in one it just stops me from continuing to golf for that spot. Am I misunderstanding these areas?
I did that too, just leave them for now.

How do I please the turtles in Lurker Valley? It says something about bringing the idol back but I have it to the girl in the shop already so...

BTA

I have to say, the worst thing about the gane is it doesn't explain it's mechanics that well. That is the biggest issue I have with an otherwise great game.

Yeah, as someone who hasn't really played golf or a golf game before it barely explaining anything about both golf and its own mechanics is really frustrating.

After playing for an hour or so I still don't even understand how the actual power bar works when you're taking shots. I eventually figured out marking where you want it to land, etc. but then the second marker is... not hitting it to the side? Maybe?

I appreciate the explanation of top/back spinning here because that's kinda vital and it sure didn't try to explain that either, huh. Rather, given how the first area's gone so far, I'm sure a character might talk about it as a hint for their challenge but I'm confused why the game thinks you don't need to know a lot of the controls till then. It's kinda overwhelming to just be dropped into it and some reassurance that you'll be gradually explained to (or just a menu item that tracks these tips) would be helpful.

How do I please the turtles in Lurker Valley? It says something about bringing the idol back but I have it to the girl in the shop already so...

There is a Quest you have to talk to the person on the left most screen of the map to find all the turtles. I think you have to hit the zones first, then find the turtles.

Pastry

Banned
Yeah, as someone who hasn't really played golf or a golf game before it barely explaining anything about both golf and its own mechanics is really frustrating.

After playing for an hour or so I still don't even understand how the actual power bar works when you're taking shots. I eventually figured out marking where you want it to land, etc. but then the second marker is... not hitting it to the side? Maybe?

I appreciate the explanation of top/back spinning here because that's kinda vital and it sure didn't try to explain that either, huh. Rather, given how the first area's gone so far, I'm sure a character might talk about it as a hint for their challenge but I'm confused why the game thinks you don't need to know a lot of the controls till then. It's kinda overwhelming to just be dropped into it and some reassurance that you'll be gradually explained to (or just a menu item that tracks these tips) would be helpful.

I was kind of shocked that there is literally no explanation for a lot of the game mechanics. The only thing I can think of is that it was a design oversight since this seems to be the first game from this studio?

Need to chime in. Holy smokes, what a game.

Been looking forward to this for ages and was able to put about 2 hours into it before bed last night. Charming, funny, and a joy to play. I had a grin on my face the entire time, and actually laughed out loud at one or two scenes.

I think the actual golf gameplay is really decent - way better than I was expecting. I finished my first 9 hole round last and finished -1, with two eagles. I still need to get putting down, clearly.

It's fantastic stuff so far, and I'm really excited to dig into it more this weekend. Don't miss this one!

I didn't pull the trigger or swing the driver yet because I know you Switch owners will BUY LITERALLY ANYTHING cuz no games and all, but yeah how is it? Honeymoon or actual good game?

I got $20 eBucks burning a hole in my digital wallet, but Picross and Steamworld also exist soooo
It’s an actual very good game. I’m enjoyig it a lot more than not Steamworld and Picross fwiw but those two games are also very good

phant0m

I would get SteamWorld if I were you. Both it and Golf Story are great, but I’d give the edge to SteamWorld.

Hasney

It's fantastic. Just stopped playing Steamworld dead is probably going to be in my top 10 come GOTY if it keeps up this quality and charm.

Its a good game, im totally loving it. But that said youd be buying this game because you want to play a golf rpg, knowing its a little rough around the edges...steamworld dig, has a previous entry already, and plenty more impressions etc, so you know what youll be getting better, gameplay differences aside SwD2 will have much more polish and production values.

Really comes down to what type of game you want

Just impulse bought this game over Steamworld Dig 2 because it looks like an extremely unique game that will be fun to play on the Switch. Can't wait to try it out tonight.

Joey Ravn

Banned
How long is the game, approximately? Can you keep playing once you've done the main story? If so, is there any post-game exclusive content?

Joey Ravn

Banned
There is a quickplay option to just play a normal golf game on the courses. You can even play 2 player vs, stroke or match play.

Oh, nice. But what about the main story? Is it like Stardew Valley, where you can keep playing after the "soft ending" of the second year? Or once you're done with the main progression, you're done with that playthrough?

Oh, well. Fuck it. I'm gonna buy it anyway! :D

Top Bottom