• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Think there's a bug in the fourth area.
After you bring the girl new music, she says she loves the new tunes but then she says the same dialogue as before... How the music is depressing or something

Cerium

Yeah, I don't have that one either.

I was resisting asking but I'd be ok with being told at this point.

The one people usually have trouble with is
behind the minigolf shack, the one that needs all the buttons pressed. Upper right of the map.

BTA

The one people usually have trouble with is
behind the minigolf shack, the one that needs all the buttons pressed. Upper right of the map.

I got that one, actually!
That's the fourth light, IIRC. We need the third.

Vecks

Can't seem to find the last switch to access the mini golf :( any tips? It's the third light from the left that I'm missing.

I don't know which switch belongs to which light but...

There's one switch on top left corner that's not normally visible, behind trees in the forest. One switch top right behind the mini golf lounge. And one switch bottom right. I can't remember details,
but I think it's in the middle of the water.

Cerium

I got that one, actually!
That's the fourth light, IIRC. We need the third.

Then you're missing
the one in the top left, it's hidden in the woods, tee up a ball near the guy hiding in the grass and aim in that direction and you'll see it.

Okay since I'm not sure anyone has exactly compiled it yet, I want to give a quick breakdown of some of the control mechanics and how it ties in with the stats you can level up, since there seems to be a lot of general confusion. I'm just a player so it's possible this isn't 100% accurate...but I think it's right, given how I've been playing so far and also going off of this game's many correlations to Mario Golf among others.

Power: Simple enough, this determines how far your ball can potentially fly when you hit it. Adding more into this stat will occasionally lower some of the others, but is necessary to get your scores on the course lower, so it helps to keep an eye on regularly raising this while "managing" the others to more suit your particular play-style and keep them from falling too far into the negative.

Purity: This stat determines whether you have a natural draw or fade on your shots a.k.a. whether your shot-line has any sort of a curve to it while you're just aiming around and so forth. Going lower or higher in this stat will increase the curve to that direction, while keeping this stat centered will keep your shots straight.

Strike: Since this is being measured in accuracy, my guess is that this stat determines the potential deviation your shot suffers from when you don't hit your alignment perfectly center at the end of your shot (aka the third button press of the "three-click" golf swing) Higher ability means less penalty, and thus a larger margin for error while still getting the ball to generally go where you're aiming it.

Ability: Again slightly speculative, but I believe this stat determines the degree to which you can shape your ball flight by adjusting your hit point (this is what you do when you press X and change where the little dot is aligned on your golf ball). Low hit point means the ball will take a higher arc and thus also land at a sharper angle, high hit point means the ball will travel lower and be more prone to rolling forward after hitting the ground, while adjusting the hit-point left and right will bend your flight arc a little bit, which can be useful for hitting around obstacles or slightly changing your approach trajectory. So, higher ability score means you have more direct control over your flight-line.

Spin: This determines the severity of topspin and backspin when it's applied on the ball (this is what you do using L or R while you're setting up your shot and it puts a little highlight over the ball indicator). This takes effect once your ball lands and can cause it to roll forward further in the case of topspin, or stop short or even roll back a little bit with backspin. When you want to use each depends on the situation but strong spins especially in conjunction with adjusting your hit-point gives you a lot of options in how you want to approach a hole.

Beyond that, you get ZL and ZR, which are used to help set up chip and approach shots. It's worth mentioning that you have three different approach ranges to work with depending on which buttons you do or don't have pressed. ZL is the shortest range, both simultaneously is in the middle, and ZR is closest to your full-power hit. The exception to this is putting, where holding ZL puts you into a short-range putting power scale while ZR gives you long-range. Pressing Y puts you into "precision mode," letting you use up/down on the left stick to create a kind of shadow-indicator that doubles on your power bar to help you work out exactly where on the power meter you want to stop to get the ball where you want. Swinging all out isn't always the best option!

There's also normal vs. "focus" mode....but I haven't toyed around with that yet enough to figure out what it does. Hopefully the rest of this helps, though!

Cerium, can you add this to the OP when you get the chance?

Fantastic post!

Akiraptor

Does anyone know where the
old clubs you need to dig up are? I found the first one that it guides you to, but I'm lost after that. This is for the mission where you have to prove that you're a gentleman to the country club owner.

Hasney

Does anyone know where the
old clubs you need to dig up are? I found the first one that it guides you to, but I'm lost after that. This is for the mission where you have to prove that you're a gentleman to the country club owner.

Buy the irons in the country club pro store
Go do all the quests in the haunted golf course

dno_1966

Loving it so far, very charming game and funny too, hope some of the references aren't lost on non-Brits. Is there a map, I could use one!?

BTA

Worth adding to that post that focus mode is explained in the Story menu, though I forget exactly what it says.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ran into a bug on the minigolf course that completely locked up my character. He's stuck and no button press causes the game to respond at all, even though the game itself isn't frozen.

I just put my Switch to sleep and left it because I don't know if this game auto-saves. If it doesn't I've lost a good chunk of progress including doing Area 2 beginning to end :(

Pastry

Banned
Ran into a bug on the minigolf course that completely locked up my character. He's stuck and no button press causes the game to respond at all, even though the game itself isn't frozen.

I just put my Switch to sleep and left it because I don't know if this game auto-saves. If it doesn't I've lost a good chunk of progress including doing Area 2 beginning to end :(

The game does auto save. Probably all you lost was your mini golf progress. It seems like it saves on transitions to new screens.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's easily in my top 10 for GOTY now and even 11 hours in, every new twist to the gameplay or story ranks it higher. The game is an absolute joy.

One of my complaints about the game is a real lack of twists on the gameplay. I'm at area 4 now and I fell there isn't enough creativity and diversity in what you're actually doing.

Still love the game.

I dont think I've ever been without a main quest. Have you paused and looked at the notes section?

I have 2 quests in Notes:

1) Bring me 5 cacher's coins and you'll have my attention

2) I need you to track down the dynamo material from a park near Cheekbeak Peak

I hate this part of the game it is hard to know where to dig for these coins

not sure where this park is

Pastry

Banned

maybe the disc golf park to the right of cheekbeak?

Hasney

Park is the disc golf park to the right of Cheekbeek. Do all the disc golf quests and you'll get it.

I don’t want to read the thread to go in blind, just want to be sure it is what I am expecting.

> how much RPG/story heavy is it ?
> how much everybody’s golf is it ?

Thanks !

jdstorm

Banned
I don’t want to read the thread to go in blind, just want to be sure it is what I am expecting.

> how much RPG/story heavy is it ?
> how much everybody’s golf is it ?

Thanks !

Lots of both.

Think JRPG where Golf is the battle system. There are no random encounters but sometimes you have to do a big fight (play a course. The longest i have played is 9 holes)

my first Eagle woo

my best round
DK9O2gpUIAEeG0H.jpg

JonnyKong

Now that this game has been out a few days, I assume some of you will be getting towards the end. Does the game still hold up in the second half? Or does the charm and magic start to wane as you progress?

Taxman

I'm loving this game, but my biggest complaint is the very poor tutorials that people could just completely skip, or that don't properly explain. I had no idea that were 3 levels of approach mode, for example.

My question is, will I come to a place in the story where focus mode is explained no matter what, or do I have to hope I talk to the right npc at some point?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this game so much. It's so funny and charming, I want to cuddle with it.

Also a sleeper hit, crazy how lowkey it's been communication wise. Buy it people !

ggx2ac

lol

At area 3, chucked my golf ball at someone, he says:

Did you just go for a swim? Because you sure are salty.

anyone replaying the 9 holes to grind? If so what level you recommend reaching?

I'm level 17 right now but feel I should just grind for a few hours and see how far I can take my Power to drive more yards

There's also normal vs. "focus" mode....but I haven't toyed around with that yet enough to figure out what it does. Hopefully the rest of this helps, though!

If you look at the Story tab in the menus, it says Focus Shot lets you ignore wind and swing slower. I haven't played with it myself to see what the limitations are like on using it or when it resets, but that's what it is.

Top Bottom