• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

ghibli99

Team Cherry (Hollow Knight) is also a 2-man team from Australia.

What are they feeding the devs over there, god damn
Hahaha... seriously!

Really enjoying this game, and it was nice showing it to some folks at the office who were on the fence. The charm definitely won them over. :)

BTA

Ugh, I guess doing challenges doesn't autosave.

The game bugged out on the 3rd of 3 disc golf challenges (the disc got stuck in a tree and just spun forever and you can't pause to quit out for some reason!), so I had to quit out; now none of them are done. Only one of them was difficult and I have it down now so it's not too much of a problem, but still.

I'm really enjoying the game but lack of explanation aside there's a lot of little things that feel unpolished and rough.

nick_b

Don't throw your disc at the
geocacher
on cheekybeak peak. Kept doing it to see if he'd say something and it finally got stuck in an endless loop bouncing off his head. Had to close the game.

kami_sama

So, maybe using L and R for top/back spin is just a simplified version of the more nuanced approach you can go with by using X? That'd make sense.

I don't think that's it. The X thing is to change where you're making contact with the ball. So if it's to the top, the ball will have a lower trajectory, and if you have it to the right, the trajectory will be more to the left. Mind you, the ed result will be the same.
But the spin is a different thing. It makes the ball go a little further (or the opposite) after it has hit the ground.

mindatlarge

Don't throw your disc at the
geocacher
on cheekybeak peak. Kept doing it to see if he'd say something and it finally got stuck in an endless loop bouncing off his head. Had to close the game.
Just had this happen to a different NPC. So annoying as I haven't saved in a while.

I don't think that's it. The X thing is to change where you're making contact with the ball. So if it's to the top, the ball will have a lower trajectory, and if you have it to the right, the trajectory will be more to the left. Mind you, the ed result will be the same.
But the spin is a different thing. It makes the ball go a little further (or the opposite) after it has hit the ground.

Well, that makes sense. Thanks!

Rigbones

Neo Member
Ok, so at the very beginning of the game. I have to save up 14 dollars or so to talk to someone. So I scrounge up a couple dollars, save and exit the game. When I come back, I have zero dollars and am introduced to the first area again. Just did the same thing again and my progress wasn't saved again..

So what exactly does the save feature keep? Does it start working after I get the 14 dollars?

Also had like the very first cutscene put dialogue off the screen. Jesus.

xkramz

Thst red dot you love around the ball. The red dot on top means more rpm meaning it'll go farther? I don't get it.

Edit: answered on same page nvm

Cerium

Ok, so at the very beginning of the game. I have to save up 14 dollars or so to talk to someone. So I scrounge up a couple dollars, save and exit the game. When I come back, I have zero dollars and am introduced to the first area again. Just did the same thing again and my progress wasn't saved again..

So what exactly does the save feature keep? Does it start working after I get the 14 dollars?

Also had like the very first cutscene put dialogue off the screen. Jesus.

I think that might be a bug, sorry to hear you're having troubles dude. Don't know what to tell you. I've actually rarely shut off my game (I just put the system into sleep).

Teletraan1

Banned
Played this for quite a while today around doing some chores. Really enjoyed the mini golf. I destroyed whatever score they wanted. I am nowhere near as good at disc golf yet. Green play is a bit underwhelming but I don't spend much time on the green tbh as they are rather small from the ones I encountered. I chipped in quite a few today or I leave myself pretty close. Putting from the rough is too easy as well. I have been hitting a high percentage of those shots. There is such a nice variety of things to do. Just got to the 4th biome but I have been taking my time and finishing every area and trying to find things on my own. Really impressed with this game, don't feel sucked in at all. Cheers to the two people who made this.

Rigbones

Neo Member
I think that might be a bug, sorry to hear you're having troubles dude. Don't know what to tell you. I've actually rarely shut off my game (I just put the system into sleep).

So I've been messing around with it and it seems that you have to walk into a new area for the save to take place. If you make progress and save and exit without ever loading a different screen/location then you lose it. But as long as you enter a new area before saving and quitting then you're good.

Maybe this is just a coincidence though and the cause is something else. This game has awesome potential but man I'm not sure how it got through testing.

EDIT: Nvm, just coincidence

HeySeuss

It's really dumb that you have to equip each club that you buy. That should auto-equip better gear as you get it. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out where to find a
shovel. Worst thing is that I knew the wedge was what I needed when I bought it but I figured it auto equipped and I had either a bug or I actually needed something else.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck the disc golf mini-game with a sharp metal object repeatedly.

I just tried to do the "basic tutorial" for nearly 30 minutes (getting three of five shots in) and was unsuccessful. I feel like I'm missing something, but seriously why would the story stall out like that and be dependent on me playing a mini-game with completely different rules and controls?

Seems pretty fucked.

Fireblend

Banned
Fuck the disc golf mini-game with a sharp metal object repeatedly.

I just tried to do the "basic tutorial" for nearly 30 minutes (getting three of five shots in) and was unsuccessful. I feel like I'm missing something, but seriously why would the story stall out like that and be dependent on me playing a mini-game with completely different rules and controls?

Seems pretty fucked.
It took me a while to figure out, but in disc golf all you need to do is tilt the stick left or right. The disc will always move forward, you're just changing the direction kind of like an RC car.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It took me a while to figure out, but in disc golf all you need to do is tilt the stick left or right. The disc will always move forward, you're just changing the direction kind of like an RC car.

haha I guess that makes sense.

I'll try this again when I'm a bit more sober

Cerium

haha I guess that makes sense.

I'll try this again when I'm a bit more sober

Yeah I had trouble with it too until I realized how it works. It's always left or right from the perspective of the disc itself, so if you just hold your joystick in one direction, the disc will fly in a circle.

what's the autosave icon or how do i manually save? I just finished the tutorial and are wandering around the greens.
There is no icon, I think it's supposed to save every time you finish a quest.

mindatlarge

It's really dumb that you have to equip each club that you buy. That should auto-equip better gear as you get it. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out where to find a
shovel. Worst thing is that I knew the wedge was what I needed when I bought it but I figured it auto equipped and I had either a bug or I actually needed something else.
Did the same thing myself. That definitely reminded me of something a NES game would pull. Not necessarily a bad thing though. I'm liking how this game doesn't always hold your hand.

Cerium

Wow I just checked and Golf Story is #1 on the NA eShop already.

It's unseated Steamworld Dig 2 after only two days holy shit.

RPGam3r

I started this up today after a few rounds of Rabbids and despite thinking golf is a boring slog this game is f'n great. Can't wait to sink more time in.

Wow I just checked and Golf Story is #1 on the NA eShop already.

It's unseated Steamworld Dig 2 after only two days holy shit.

Since that chart is based on the most recent two weeks of activity, does that mean Golf Story in a day and a half has outsold Steamworld Dig 2's numbers over the past eight and a half days (it launched last Thursday)?

Because if so, wow.

Cerium

Since that chart is based on the most recent two weeks of activity, does that mean Golf Story in a day and a half has outsold Steamworld Dig 2's numbers over the past eight and a half days (it launched last Thursday)?

Because if so, wow.

Correct. With two days of sales Golf Story has already outsold all of Steamworld Dig 2 to date.

That's insane. I don't think we've seen anything like this on a Nintendo console since Shovel Knight.

Doorman

Okay since I'm not sure anyone has exactly compiled it yet, I want to give a quick breakdown of some of the control mechanics and how it ties in with the stats you can level up, since there seems to be a lot of general confusion. I'm just a player so it's possible this isn't 100% accurate...but I think it's right, given how I've been playing so far and also going off of this game's many correlations to Mario Golf among others.

Power: Simple enough, this determines how far your ball can potentially fly when you hit it. Adding more into this stat will occasionally lower some of the others, but is necessary to get your scores on the course lower, so it helps to keep an eye on regularly raising this while "managing" the others to more suit your particular play-style and keep them from falling too far into the negative.

Purity: This stat determines whether you have a natural draw or fade on your shots a.k.a. whether your shot-line has any sort of a curve to it while you're just aiming around and so forth. Going lower or higher in this stat will increase the curve to that direction, while keeping this stat centered will keep your shots straight.

Strike: Since this is being measured in accuracy, my guess is that this stat determines the potential deviation your shot suffers from when you don't hit your alignment perfectly center at the end of your shot (aka the third button press of the "three-click" golf swing) Higher ability means less penalty, and thus a larger margin for error while still getting the ball to generally go where you're aiming it.

Ability: Again slightly speculative, but I believe this stat determines the degree to which you can shape your ball flight by adjusting your hit point (this is what you do when you press X and change where the little dot is aligned on your golf ball). Low hit point means the ball will take a higher arc and thus also land at a sharper angle, high hit point means the ball will travel lower and be more prone to rolling forward after hitting the ground, while adjusting the hit-point left and right will bend your flight arc a little bit, which can be useful for hitting around obstacles or slightly changing your approach trajectory. So, higher ability score means you have more direct control over your flight-line.

Spin: This determines the severity of topspin and backspin when it's applied on the ball (this is what you do using L or R while you're setting up your shot and it puts a little highlight over the ball indicator). This takes effect once your ball lands and can cause it to roll forward further in the case of topspin, or stop short or even roll back a little bit with backspin. When you want to use each depends on the situation but strong spins especially in conjunction with adjusting your hit-point gives you a lot of options in how you want to approach a hole.

Beyond that, you get ZL and ZR, which are used to help set up chip and approach shots. It's worth mentioning that you have three different approach ranges to work with depending on which buttons you do or don't have pressed. ZL is the shortest range, both simultaneously is in the middle, and ZR is closest to your full-power hit. The exception to this is putting, where holding ZL puts you into a short-range putting power scale while ZR gives you long-range. Pressing Y puts you into "precision mode," letting you use up/down on the left stick to create a kind of shadow-indicator that doubles on your power bar to help you work out exactly where on the power meter you want to stop to get the ball where you want. Swinging all out isn't always the best option!

There's also normal vs. "focus" mode....but I haven't toyed around with that yet enough to figure out what it does. Hopefully the rest of this helps, though!

Top Bottom