• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Hasney

Yeah, so far my only complaint of the game would be that the golfing is actually a little too easy.

I don’t mind that it’s too easy. It’s easy enough so the story keeps moving along

Yeah, not sure if it's a complaint for me, but then sometimes when I post this as my first ever effort on a course

DK9lcWsUIAA2DBR.jpg:large

CoolS

I'm loving this game, but my biggest complaint is the very poor tutorials that people could just completely skip, or that don't properly explain. I had no idea that were 3 levels of approach mode, for example.

My question is, will I come to a place in the story where focus mode is explained no matter what, or do I have to hope I talk to the right npc at some point?

Everything is explained. You are right though that some of them could be skipped.

But that's what I love about this game. Not everything is spelled out for you, you can just roam around and explore freely.

Really amazing game, haven't been this addicted to a game in quite some time.

Taxman

Everything is explained. You are right though that some of them could be skipped.

But that's what I love about this game. Not everything is spelled out for you, you can just roam around and explore freely.

Really amazing game, haven't been this addicted to a game in quite some time.
So I will be forced to learn about focus mode?

I don’t mind that it’s too easy. It’s easy enough so the story keeps moving along

I purchased Everybody Golf on PS4 and played 9 holes and I sucked hard with +4 every hole I just gave up I was not having any fun. Now this game is not as challenging but every little thing about it is really FUN

I wonder if my timing is getting better from playing this I might not suck as hard on that PS4 game now. But not going to plug in my PS4 to find out until I am done with this

ggx2ac

Help, I can't tell if this is a bug.

Just finished having the
Roast Dinner which is before the Wellworn Grove tournament.

My character went to the bed, couldn't move, pressed A for him to go to bed. He got up but now he can't move at all and is saying "No, not again" when I try to go back to bed and he can't move anywhere else, I'm stuck.

Edit: lol, it ended up being another bug. You have to "Save and Quit" from pressing the + button.

Don't close from home menu otherwise you'll run into the same problem again.

Once you saved and quit, go back in again from the game menu and you'll be able to move again.

I "quit and save" yesterday before going to bed but the game didn't save like the last 20 mins I played which sucks. Is the quit and save function unreliable for anybody else?

Also, what's a smart way to allocate your stat points?

ggx2ac

I "quit and save" yesterday before going to bed but the game didn't save like the last 20 mins I played which sucks. Is the quit and save function unreliable for anybody else?

I haven't had that happen to me yet, does it forget quests you've completed or something else?

Hasney

Also, what's a smart way to allocate your stat points?

It's been very good with saves, apart from a certain long quest that I had to restart after quitting which was about 15 minutes back.

kvothe232

I've run into a game breaking bug and want to know if anyone else has this, or at the least if I need to do the part it happens in, if not I wont have issues skipping and going back later. In spoilers

The last hole on the ghost area with the guy the creates his own course, the game will crash the instant the ball reaches the hole
with a "Unexpected error occurred" and the Switch goes back to the OS menu.

dno_1966

Just completed my first 9 trying to impress Coach, I don't think I've ever been so eager to impress a digital person in all my gaming life :)

Hasney

Coldwind Wastes Question:

where is the last secret hole??
I found two in frozen pillars (one in a fence square at top centre of map and another on the path right of the christmas tree) but I cannot find the last one.

I can't progress and it's driving me crazy wondering if its a bug or I'm missing something.

Far left behind the clubhouse and round. Melt every ice and snowman around there

Kebiinu

Banned
Bought this last night on impulse due to all the praise here, and I'm completely floored. What an amazing game, the artstyle and unique NPCs look great; interesting locations so far, and the golfing feels great. This is my first golf game, basically. I love it!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I love how much “voice” there is in the text bubbles, reminds me a lot of Paper Mario! The font changes and the swaying of the bubbles add so much character!

Syloch

Neo Member
I don't really post, but I found a softlock in the game and can't progress further, about 9 hours into the game.

At Tidy Parks, the second party,
after you collect all of the antique clubs, take the etiquette lesson and get a caddy.
DO NOT save and quit inside of the party. If you do, this happens:

https://i.imgur.com/iNo1TEE.jpg

See the top of the screen to see my character model.

You can't really move around much or interact with anything. Your character model is screwed up and can actually walk off screen. You cannot leave the area, save and quit doesn't do anything. I literally can't play story mode on this file anymore atm.

I emailed the devs, here's hoping it gets fixed. I'd rather not lose all that progress. I was loving the game thus far too.

Camells

Love and Respect for this game, can't stop playing.

But jesus christ this game needs a bug fix patch asap i found some gamebreaking bugs forcing me to close the game via home menu...

Anyway respect for the team (or duo), really good game.

Doorman

Sorry I misremembered, he only mentions it in passing.

At that point the Coach mentions that you (the character) have some kind of extraordinary focus, but that's no discussion of what the actual focus-mode is when you're lining up shots. The tutorial you wind up getting into after that is I think the first time anyone explicitly talks about the effects of changing your hit-point, which is brought up in passing by a few other NPCs before that
and he also teaches you the Hot Potato Shot
. A lot of learning the controls and their effects has been a combination of taking small NPC hints along with doing some personal experimenting (and at least in my case, already being familiar with a lot of these systems from Mario Golf Advance Tour).

It seems like there are more overt explanations brought up over time, but they've been much slower in coming. I get the feeling that they really didn't want to inundate people with everything too early on, even though learning this stuff starts paying dividends really early. The reason I didn't speculate much about focus mode is because I haven't run into any NPC so far that even mentions it at all, so I haven't accordingly tested.

Also
woo! First time I've ever made it onto the OP. :'D

Fireblend

Banned
Can someone help me out with the crocodiles in the beach area? How do I avoid them? Not sure what I'm supposed to do (doing the first challenge related to them).

Opa-Pa

Yeah I found out about the focus mechanic completely by accident myself... Didn't really notice that it's hinted in dialogue either.

I know next to nothing about golf either, so if I hadn't bought Neo Turf Masters and Hot Shots Golf Vita earlier this year I'd be completely lost :/

BTA

At that point the Coach mentions that you (the character) have some kind of extraordinary focus, but that's no discussion of what the actual focus-mode is when you're lining up shots. The tutorial you wind up getting into after that is I think the first time anyone explicitly talks about the effects of changing your hit-point, which is brought up in passing by a few other NPCs before that
and he also teaches you the Hot Potato Shot
. A lot of learning the controls and their effects has been a combination of taking small NPC hints along with doing some personal experimenting (and at least in my case, already being familiar with a lot of these systems from Mario Golf Advance Tour).

It seems like there are more overt explanations brought up over time, but they've been much slower in coming. I get the feeling that they really didn't want to inundate people with everything too early on, even though learning this stuff starts paying dividends really early. The reason I didn't speculate much about focus mode is because I haven't run into any NPC so far that even mentions it at all, so I haven't accordingly tested.

I feel like a lot of it is a really weird perception on the devs' part that you don't need to know certain things yet when they're immediately pretty important to getting the ball where you want it to go? I really wish the first course was more outright tutorials and then you had a way to access that information from a menu. Particularly because I think sometimes the brief NPC explanations that do exist are not written particularly clearly.

Otherwise I'd almost wish they just don't give you the ability to do things till they tell you about it (though maybe note that in the controls or something so that you don't spend the first bit going "this game doesn't have ___?!").

MrMephistoX

Godamnit GAF...I just got my SNES classic and now I’m probably going to be spending most of my time on this...looks marvelous and glad it’s getting great reviews.

BTA

Godamnit GAF...I just got my SNES classic and now I’m probably going to be spending most of my time on this...looks marvelous and glad it’s getting great reviews.

I did get my SNES and then immediately spent the rest of the day with this yesterday, so... same here.

Kovacs

Been really enjoying it so far. Usually waiting for my prescription at the pharmacist is a huge chore but the time just flew past today.

Unfortunately I now seem to have hit a game ending bug where I can't progress.

LKFJXWl.jpg

No matter how many times I do it, leave the game, restart, do anything else the game just refuses to accept that I've given the bloody ball
(Egg)
back.

barber

So, found a nice easter egg
At Lorraines office, after you do the quest for the pro woods, she says "how good are you at tennis?" Tennis story next title? PLEAAAAAASE

Hasney

Been really enjoying it so far. Usually waiting for my prescription at the pharmacist is a huge chore but the time just flew past today.

Unfortunately I now seem to have hit a game ending bug where I can't progress.

LKFJXWl.jpg

No matter how many times I do it, leave the game, restart, do anything else the game just refuses to accept that I've given the bloody ball
(Egg)
back.

It's not that one. There's one to the right somewhere of the circle rather than that one.

Top Bottom