• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

BTA

The game teaches you about top and bottom spin
in a video on the computer in the club house
when you get to the point where you need it. Until that point you can get away with not using it at all.

Help me: how do i spot the location of a
cacher's coin
? Found the first, now I need to find 5 more.

I guess I'm annoyed at the implication that I don't "need it" before whenever you're talking about?

I needed it as soon as I needed to get the ball into the hole (or in a specific spot) and it bounced too far.

BTA

The club you choose determines distance. (You can hold down ZL or ZR to do a short shot) use Irons/Wedges when hitting out of rough/bunkers.

If you don't hit the ball in the sweet spot then it will either hook (go left) or Slice (go right). Level up your Purity stat to keep the ball going straight.

The wind also plays a factor so watch for that.

Press Y to precision aim at shorter distances. Press X to apply spin. Put the red circle at the bottom for backspin (stops faster) or top for overspin (rolls more)

Hope that helps.

L is for a chip (around the green) and R is for an approach shot. The approach shot works well for high loft when you are closer than a full iron shot and you don't want to end up rolling off the green. When putting, it changes the power of the club for more finesse.

Actually, wait. This literally can't be right. I think Schnozberry misunderstood the question and is talking about the Z buttons? Or otherwise the game's lying.

The controls (pressing -) label ZL and ZR as approach (though obviously they do different distances), and L and R are top and back spin respectively.

So what does applying spin vertically via X do? Is it the same as L and R? Or...

BTA

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

I agree the game would benefit from a controls/help screen where it describes each technique, button and power up.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to come across as rude. Mostly just annoyed that the game doesn't bother to explain any of this during the tutorial or offer a help screen, yeah. (And then the rest is I'm a little too tired to deal with some of this right now, hah.)

jdstorm

Banned
Actually, wait. This literally can't be right. I think Schnozberry misunderstood the question and is talking about the Z buttons? Or otherwise the game's lying.

The controls (pressing -) label ZL and ZR as approach (though obviously they do different distances), and L and R are top and back spin respectively.

So what does applying spin vertically via X do? Is it the same as L and R? Or...

I could be wrong. I thought adjusting with X made it spin, but it is possible that it just adjusted the flight path and i misjudged it as spin. Will need to test.

I could be wrong. I thought adjusting with X made it spin, but it is possible that it just adjusted the flight path and i misjudged it as spin. Will need to test.
Flight path

So what does applying spin vertically via X do?
Raises and lowers the trajectory of the ball.

High trajectory means less roll after landing, but wind will affect it more

Low trajectory means more roll after landing, and wind will affect it less.

This is not specific to this game, so have a read of any golf info from a game or in real life.

Zomba13

Game could definitely be a bit clearer on some of its mechanics and stats. I can get by ok without them but actually knowing what is what (like, L and R dim the top and bottom of the ball, but is that adding top/back spin like with the Hit Point and precision mode or is it something else?

And how the stat descriptions seem to mean stuff but like, accuracy goes like in the minus % (like -3%) and then into positives. Like, wouldn't 0 be the base for accuracy? If less than 0 is giving you negatives then why is there positives? Is 0 not accurate?

And how the stat descriptions seem to mean stuff but like, accuracy goes like in the minus % (like -3%) and then into positives. Like, wouldn't 0 be the base for accuracy? If less than 0 is giving you negatives then why is there positives? Is 0 not accurate?
Think of those as modifiers.

0 is Standard
Negative means less than Standard
Positive means more than Standard

For example, positive will give you a larger than standard hit area. Negative will give you a smaller hit area than standard.

Just got started on this and cleared the first area. I love all the speed-running lingo in the mini-golf game—an inspired touch. Pity I'm nowhere near able to afford the clubs unlocked as the reward yet, though.

I'm glad some of you are on the ball (so to speak) in reverse-engineering the mechanics. It was nice to see the challenges in the tutorial area, like the last one at the driving range, teach mechanics (or rather, give you a chance to figure out mechanics, like what X and Y do) without spelling them out for you any more than necessary. It would be nice to have a reference for the stats, though, and also a way in the UI to try out allocations of points without locking them in until you hit Confirm, or really any way to cancel out of changes in case you didn't punch the right ones in.

This is what I was originally asking about, yes. L and R appear to be different than applying spin to the ball with the X button.

This game could use a tutorial section that is always available to the player.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is what I was originally asking about, yes. L and R appear to be different than applying spin to the ball with the X button.

This game could use a tutorial section that is always available to the player.
The minus button should tell you the controls. But I agree with a simple tutorial being available from the menu after the first course.

What am I doing wrong? So I am at the 3rd area, Cheakybeak Peak, doing the mission where
you have to help 5 npc with the Cheakybeak problem. I have helped everybody except for one and that is the girl who is having her approach shots stolen by the birds. I can't figure out how it expects me to putt into that hole. Do I need a higher strength stat?
Any help would be appreciated.

c1d

Just got started on this and cleared the first area. I love all the speed-running lingo in the mini-golf game—an inspired touch. Pity I'm nowhere near able to afford the clubs unlocked as the reward yet, though.

I'm glad some of you are on the ball (so to speak) in reverse-engineering the mechanics. It was nice to see the challenges in the tutorial area, like the last one at the driving range, teach mechanics (or rather, give you a chance to figure out mechanics, like what X and Y do) without spelling them out for you any more than necessary. It would be nice to have a reference for the stats, though, and also a way in the UI to try out allocations of points without locking them in until you hit Confirm, or really any way to cancel out of changes in case you didn't punch the right ones in.
Glad I'm not the only one that immediately found all the buttons and went straight to mini-golf! Couldn't agree more about the learning curve, the gradual pace of introducing mechanics seemed pretty much perfect

The minus button should tell you the controls. But I agree with a simple tutorial being available from the menu after the first course.

Yeah, I'm aware of the control layout in-game, but it's not really enough. No one has been able to explain the difference between applying top spin or back spin with L and R versus using the X button to apply it to a specific point on the golf ball.

The game is a delight, regardless.

MadHatter10676

Neo Member
What am I doing wrong? So I am at the 3rd area, Cheakybeak Peak, doing the mission where
you have to help 5 npc with the Cheakybeak problem. I have helped everybody except for one and that is the girl who is having her approach shots stolen by the birds. I can't figure out how it expects me to putt into that hole. Do I need a higher strength stat?
Any help would be appreciated.

I was briefly stuck on that too.
Hold down the ZR button for a longer distance putt.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, I'm aware of the control layout in-game, but it's not really enough. No one has been able to explain the difference between applying top spin or back spin with L and R versus using the X button to apply it to a specific point on the golf ball.

The game is a delight, regardless.
I just look at it as additional spin. With X you an also give it a curve. To apply L or R, keep one held down (you will see a slight shadow on the ball) as you press A and the effect should hold.

I just look at it as additional spin. With X you an also give it a curve. To apply L or R, keep one held down (you will see a slight shadow on the ball) as you press A and the effect should hold.

So, maybe using L and R for top/back spin is just a simplified version of the more nuanced approach you can go with by using X? That'd make sense.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Looking for the spots to dig.. I can find 3.. 1 in each map.. and it's the 4 bone areas... what am I missing??

Nevermind, if I paid attention I'd have seen the radar..

Cerium

Zomba13

I could see a Tennis Story working, but I feel it won't be as inventive. I mean, with golf a big part is the courses and being a silly game you can have all kinds of hazards in addition to a bunker or the rough or water. But with tennis, if you start throwing weird shit onto the court then it looses the tennis more than golf does when you thrown in tar or moles as a hazard into a game that already has hazards.

You could have the same level of side activities, with the racket being used to solve problems and hit stuff like the clubs in this game but the actual playing I can't see it get that different than just playing tennis on a court unless you just throw in hazards and stuff that just block you from playing properly.

It's a great game, but you can tell it needed a more substantial QA pass. I'm in the second area and on the first course, where all the holes are small and closely packed, I just discovered that the game doesn't particularly mind if you sink a ball in a totally different hole than the one intended.

Really impressed with what the developers put together with their meagre time and resources, though.

jdstorm

Banned
I dont think a "Tennis story" would work.

1. Golf is turn based and individual which suits the JRPG framework better. Tennis is basically a fighting game with a ball and stick

2. The culture that surrounds golf is much more ridiculous then Tennis. Golf has far more inherent sillyness/stupidity which makes it easy to tell jokes about.

Schnozberry

Yes, sorry, I flubbed at reading comprehension.

I dont think a "Tennis story" would work.

1. Golf is turn based and individual which suits the JRPG framework better. Tennis is basically a fighting game with a ball and stick

2. The culture that surrounds golf is much more ridiculous then Tennis. Golf has far more inherent sillyness/stupidity which makes it easy to tell jokes about.

I had no idea until last year there was a tie between pimento cheese spread sandwiches and golf.

Top Bottom