• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Hey guys, has it been noted that the greens do actually have break marks for sloping etc? They're super faint but I just finally noticed them playing in handheld mode.
Really!? I need to check this out.

Hey guys. Outside of the story mode, how is the regular/tournament mode aspect of the game?
It's good. One or two player, courses you've unlocked in Story mode, different golf styles, choose weather, etc

The only thing I'm having trouble is getting a grasp on the wind, and the fact that I always seem to overshoot.
You should land some distance before the hole and roll towards it.

When you get better with all the ways you can influence the ball, you can try more advanced methods of approach.

Finn

I'm about 8 hours into the game and just reached the fourth course. As others have already said, the game oozes with charm and the dialogue is a joy. It's also the best implementation of HD rumble I've seen in the 15 or so games I've played on Switch thus far. I'm still super impressed that this was done by two people in one year.

Can Nintendo get these guys to lead the team on a new Earthbound? :D

kami_sama

That's that really helped! I was trying to control the disc using all 4 directions and up and down was messing me up. Lol.

And erm... after progressing further, I got to the point where it skipped to the next day, got out of my bed and got stuck between the bed and phone, couldn't move at all. Lol. This game... :p

Yeah, that seems a somewhat common issue. Lots of clipping in general.
I myself had the computer and Lara issue.

I'm about 8 hours into the game and just reached the fourth course. As others have already said, the game oozes with charm and the dialogue is a joy. It's also the best implementation of HD rumble I've seen in the 15 or so games I've played on Switch thus far. I'm still super impressed that this was done by two people in one year.

Can Nintendo get these guys to lead the team on a new Earthbound? :D

4th course best course. (for now)
All the little sidequests are amazing.

Eyothrie

Just bought and started. Finished the tutorial and got back to the town. Is there a main quest to follow? I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing. I see a lot of mini games to play around town but not one that would seem to advance the story. Checked the clubhouse and didn't see anything

JonnyKong

Just bought and started. Finished the tutorial and got back to the town. Is there a main quest to follow? I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing. I see a lot of mini games to play around town but not one that would seem to advance the story. Checked the clubhouse and didn't see anything

The main story will be in your notes when you press pause.

mazillion

Hey guys, has it been noted that the greens do actually have break marks for sloping etc? They're super faint but I just finally noticed them playing in handheld mode.

There are faint marks in different size and directions correlated to the greens slopes and breaks. I would have loved to have seen this in some of the challenges.

Not right now I have only seen these on the greens with the checkerboard pattern.

However I know some folks were dismayed that they weren't there. I may have missed someone mentioning it earlier but it is a big revelation to me now 8 hours plus in
I honestly can't figure out how slopes work in this game. Right now I'm standing in one exact spot and when I hit the ball straight down it's totally flat, but if I aim my shot even a single pixel to the right and shoot again suddenly that whole area is a slope and my ball curves pretty hard.

Edit: now when I am aiming straight down it's saying it's slopped diagonally but my shots are going perfectly straight

ghibli99

Man, second course is kinda kicking my ass. This is pretty challenging, and I like that. Rest of the game has been wonderful.

Ryhian

I'm feeling sorta stuck right now.
I've unlocked tidy park and the manor.
I beat lucky to get my new sponsor and caddy and purchased all of the clubs I could.
Currently have 3 of the 4 old clubs, but unsure how to get the 4th (I assume a driver)?

My other two notes are taking the oak manor key as far away as possible. I went there and unlocked first gate, but unsure how to open the second. Last note is for the 5 coins,
which I currently have 3.

Ryhian

I'm feeling sorta stuck right now.
I've unlocked tidy park and the manor.
I beat lucky to get my new sponsor and caddy and purchased all of the clubs I could.
Currently have 3 of the 4 old clubs, but unsure how to get the 4th (I assume a driver)?

My other two notes are taking the oak manor key as far away as possible. I went there and unlocked first gate, but unsure how to open the second. Last note is for the 5 coins,
which I currently have 3.

I seem to have figured it out so I can keep progressing.
I unlocked that second gate in the manor.

Picked this up this morning and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's nice to have a sports game with this kind of story in it. I can't wait to see what else this game has in store for me!

JonnyKong

Would anyone like to help me find this big board on the beach with the red flag? I'm clueless.

Edit: and just like that, seconds after asking, I've found it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Re: character customization, they absolutely shouldn’t add it. They should develop the main character further instead. (Haven’t beaten the game, so yet to see the full extent of what they do)

Fliesen

is there any secret hidden behind the fact that the number of the 5th hole is red, as opposed to every other number being black?

DLEmpZYVAAAK1BT.jpg

Is that some thing i get back to later?

BTA

Re: character customization, they absolutely shouldn’t add it. They should develop the main character further instead. (Haven’t beaten the game, so yet to see the full extent of what they do)

I don't see any reason why customizing the appearance/gender of the main character would stop them from developing them further.

I love this game. I don’t have much to add to the general conversation, and I hardly ever post. But I feel compelled to contribute to this (impressively large) thread.

tebunker

Banned
Yeah the putting challenge on Bermuda Isles can go screw itself, it's the only side quest I haven't been able to do yet.

Yeah that took some work, aim for the dude on the second one, aim for the tree behind him on the third. Make sure you hold ZL to extend your shots on those two.

On the first one aim short right on the edge of the circle below the cup use precision.

Like I said there are indicators on some greens and not on others. That challenge really helps learning breaks. Snake hole on Bermuda helps too.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't see any reason why customizing the appearance/gender of the main character would stop them from developing them further.

Because a game where the character can be significantly different means their personally, motivations and how they’re treated by others would be radically different.

There’s never been a create a character where the main character has been as deep or engaging as an individually crafted one, as far as I know. Interactions and story get homogenized or we’re choosing dialogue from a list. No thanks to either.

Jb

Game's really fun and cute, but the more I listen to the soundtrack the less i like it.
Which is odd because almost every indie game I've played in the past few years has had a good to stellar OST. I've seen comparisons to Bully's, but I find this one rushed and grating. Something bland like what the last Everybody's Golf had would have been so much better imo.

cilonen

is there any secret hidden behind the fact that the number of the 5th hole is red, as opposed to every other number being black?

Is that some thing i get back to later?

I didn't figure that out. It's on all the courses too.

Finished the story at 16 hours. There are challenges I've not done though.

Because a game where the character can be significantly different means their personally, motivations and how they’re treated by others would be radically different.

There’s never been a create a character where the main character has been as deep or engaging as an individually crafted one, as far as I know. Interactions and story get homogenized or we’re choosing dialogue from a list. No thanks to either.
Dialogue trees would only improve this game.

jdstorm

Banned

Commander Shepard says hi.

mas8705

Ok, I've hit a wall.

Has anyone found all three secret holes in Coldwind Wastes?

I saw a post ask this earlier, but no one got around to responding where the last one was.
I got the one in the fenced square and one to the right of the Christmas tree, but I can't find the third anywhere...

brad-t

Because a game where the character can be significantly different means their personally, motivations and how they're treated by others would be radically different.

There's never been a create a character where the main character has been as deep or engaging as an individually crafted one, as far as I know. Interactions and story get homogenized or we're choosing dialogue from a list. No thanks to either.

We're talking about a golf game with RPG-lite elements, not The Witcher. And Golf Story's protagonist is nowhere near deep nor engaging. Not that any of the game's characters are particularly likeable.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The level up marker in Stats is all sorts of messed up for me and does not match with the red bar that you see when you gain experience at all.

Top Bottom