• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Why should this game have character customization? It's a specific story that is being told.

If you for example change the gender of the main character, should that mean that the main character broke up from a same-sex marriage? Or should you set gender as well as sexuality of the main character?

Developers go out of their way to add all sorts of features that gamers demand. Do you really think they couldn’t modify their design so that it worked with variable pronouns and a few user selected options?

Modern games have tons of assets and massive amounts of code to manage specific situations. Most of that complexity is in direct response to user demands. Why would I not do everything in my power to vote for features that are important to me?

cilonen

I'm stuck I think.

I have all the antique clubs (I think - Vintage woods, Vintage irons, puddle wedge and antique putter) and the only two quests I have are to speak to the business lady about money and prove to the owner I am worthy. I've done all of the etiquette lessons.

The guy in the cap in front of Tidy Park just keeps repeating to come see him when I'm ready to join, and I can't enter the clubhouse as it's members only.

I'm stumped

Decided to just play another quest for now, since the game is fun when it doesnt break, and now my disc is stuck in a bunch of trees after throwing it.

Really regretting getting it. I shouldve gone for Steamworld Dig 2.

Hasney

I'm stuck I think.

I have all the antique clubs (I think - Vintage woods, Vintage irons, puddle wedge and antique putter) and the only two quests I have are to speak to the business lady about money and prove to the owner I am worthy. I've done all of the etiquette lessons.

The guy in the cap in front of Tidy Park just keeps repeating to come see him when I'm ready to join, and I can't enter the clubhouse as it's members only.

I'm stumped

You need a caddy. Speak to the business lady.

cilonen

You need a caddy. Speak to the business lady.

Oh superb, I'd forgotten that bit. Nice one -
where is she?

Edit found her - mistaken identity.
I thought Lorraine was the lady coach's name. But it's the business lady.

-GJ-

The one after getting 5 coins? It's in the world map, below Lurker Valley
What do you do after that? I dug it up but then the quest disappeared from my notes and the guy at the Soda Bar just repeats the location hint everytime I talk to him. Is that just the end of the questline or did I encounter a bug?

Hasney

What do you do after that? I dug it up but then the quest disappeared from my notes and the guy at the Soda Bar just repeats the location hint everytime I talk to him. Is that just the end of the questline or did I encounter a bug?

Go to the fountain fairy at the far north of Blue Moon and pay tribute to ther, then dig up your reward from the circle of rocks in that area.

dl77

In what configuration? Been flipping between attached joycons in handheld and Pro on TV and had no issues.

That's exactly the problem for me. Handheld fine, switch to tv and pro controller and there's a definite increased pause between pressing the button and it affecting the swing meter.

Naar

Is that one glitched at all? For me, right when I start it, it says at the top "putts made: 0 of 4" but at the bottom it also says "3 hits left".

3 hits to make 4 putts?? That's gotta be a glitch on my game.

Said same for me. I just completed it by doing 3 holes. There isn't anything extra and probably a glitch

Stoze

HD rumble implementation in this game is kind of blowing my mind. My joycons are making actual ball sounds :O.
I think I'm gonna have to play this in handheld mode just so I can feel what the big deal is with the rumble.
I asked this earlier but didn't get a response - does the quality/intensity of HD rumble with the Joy Cons change depending on if you have them undocked and separated, in a grip, or attached to the Switch?

-GJ-

Go to the fountain fairy at the far north of Blue Moon and pay tribute to ther, then dig up your reward from the circle of rocks in that area.
Ah, I’m not that far in the story yet. The dude just keeps repeating where to find the one on the
worldmap
. Thanks for the help!

duckroll

Game's fun but kinda buggy. Only in the second zone and already encountered weird stuff. Floating ball in the mini-golf course that eventually fixed itself, and then a freeze when I couldn't move my guy after a cutscene. Once when I failed a challenge it bounced back to the title screen. Needs stability patching!

jariw

Developers go out of their way to add all sorts of features that gamers demand. Do you really think they couldn’t modify their design so that it worked with variable pronouns and a few user selected options?

Modern games have tons of assets and massive amounts of code to manage specific situations. Most of that complexity is in direct response to user demands. Why would I not do everything in my power to vote for features that are important to me?

Of course you should do everything in your power, vote with your wallet, etc, etc, if that's important to you.

But requesting a change at this point from a game that was developed by a 2-man team during one year, for a game that currently has a long list of bugs that need to get fixed? I'd rather have a game that will save my progress consistently at this point.

Haven't played since launch day thanks to the SNES Classic, but intrigued as to whether anyone's finished it yet. Anyone know how long it takes to beat yet?

Haven't played since launch day thanks to the SNES Classic, but intrigued as to whether anyone's finished it yet. Anyone know how long it takes to beat yet?
About 20 hours.

I asked this earlier but didn't get a response - does the quality/intensity of HD rumble with the Joy Cons change depending on if you have them undocked and separated, in a grip, or attached to the Switch?
In my expense experience, yes. The more Joy-Con surface is in touch with your hands the more you feel the rumble. Split Joy-Con depends how tightly you hold them. Same with pro controller or grip. Attached to switch is the way I have highest rumble sensation.

Hmm tempted but i should wait for a patch right
Depends how easily you get annoyed. I've only had two bugs in almost 9 hours: one camera bug; one player stuck on the edge of a screen. Both were recoverable with little effort.

Is
GALF
buggy?

I am not sure what the point of having that house there, I don't really want to play it but wondering if there is some kind of reward to be gain in trying

ggx2ac

Oh so that's what the
elite
cache does.

I can't believe they made
three Galf games in the game.
lol

Where do I find the old wedge (puddle wedge?) ;__; I have all the other old clubs except this one.

So if you have all of them but the puddle wedge... You already did
area 4
and the only other thing I can remember is heading to lurker valley to the archeologist and the golf shop in area 3.

Pastry

Banned
Is
GALF
buggy?

I am not sure what the point of having that house there, I don't really want to play it but wondering if there is some kind of reward to be gain in trying

I don’t think it’s buggy? But I haven’t spent much time trying to play it. I don’t think you get anything for playing, just a fun bonus.

Said same for me. I just completed it by doing 3 holes. There isn't anything extra and probably a glitch
Not a glitch. You get one point for getting the ball in the circle, two points for sinking it. You only need to sink one putt if you get the other two within the circle.

duckroll

Getting buggier and buggier. Was doing Disc Golf and the disc got stuck in the environment and endlessly bounced forcing me to reboot the game. Then later I tried to put down a ball to tee using Y and instead he took out a disc and it just got stuck in an animation loop around his hand, forcing another game reboot. It's infuriating.

Does anyone have tips for how Disc Golf works btw? I'm stuck now because I can't proceed past this challenge. I don't understand how controlling the disc works at all. Help!

ggx2ac

Getting buggier and buggier. Was doing Disc Golf and the disc got stuck in the environment and endlessly bounced forcing me to reboot the game. Then later I tried to put down a ball to tee using Y and instead he took out a disc and it just got stuck in an animation loop around his hand, forcing another game reboot. It's infuriating.

Does anyone have tips for how Disc Golf works btw? I'm stuck now because I can't proceed past this challenge. I don't understand how controlling the disc works at all. Help!

Press left or right on the stick once you've thrown the disc to control it.

Press X rather than holding it to do a longer, faster throw because it's harder to control.

Once you get the hang of it, then do it with longer throws.

Hasney

Oh so that's what the
elite
cache does.

I can't believe they made
three Galf games in the game.
lol

So if you have all of them but the puddle wedge... You already did
area 4
and the only other thing I can remember is heading to lurker valley to the archeologist and the golf shop in area 3.

Three?! I only have the original and Nights

Really love this game, I'm almost four hours in and luckily no bugs yet. The only thing I'm having trouble is getting a grasp on the wind, and the fact that I always seem to overshoot. Maybe I should be putting less points into power?

The writing is a lot of fun, which I didn't expect.

Also, I woke the Switch up earlier and the HD rumble wasn't working all of a sudden, which I absolutely noticed in a game like this. So perhaps that was a bug after all. I closed the game and reopened it and it worked again.

enoki

Throw at a very low power initially, it controls left and right.

Hold left and the disc will make a counter-clockwise circle, and vice-versa.
Throw it straight at a low power, then make small movements. It should be pretty intuitive from there.

I've been struggling with disc golf since last night. I initially couldn't figure out how the controls worked due to a combo of being stoned and lack of tutorial but I'm going to try again in a bit with the advice given in this page.

Zekes!

Why should this game have character customization? It's a specific story that is being told.

If you for example change the gender of the main character, should that mean that the main character broke up from a same-sex marriage? Or should you set gender as well as sexuality of the main character?

Character customization would’ve been an easy thing to implement in this game because the story and the main character himself is not distinct enough where the MC has to be male. Being able to choose your gender would simply change some minor dialog elements. Choosing your race would change your parents appearance as well, which has no bearing on the story either.

tebunker

Banned
Hey guys, has it been noted that the greens do actually have break marks for sloping etc? They're super faint but I just finally noticed them playing in handheld mode.

There are faint marks in different size and directions correlated to the greens slopes and breaks. I would have loved to have seen this in some of the challenges.

Not right now I have only seen these on the greens with the checkerboard pattern.

However I know some folks were dismayed that they weren't there. I may have missed someone mentioning it earlier but it is a big revelation to me now 8 hours plus in

duckroll

Press left or right on the stick once you've thrown the disc to control it.

Press X rather than holding it to do a longer, faster throw because it's harder to control.

Once you get the hang of it, then do it with longer throws.

That's that really helped! I was trying to control the disc using all 4 directions and up and down was messing me up. Lol.

And erm... after progressing further, I got to the point where it skipped to the next day, got out of my bed and got stuck between the bed and phone, couldn't move at all. Lol. This game... :p

JonnyKong

20 hours 😲 I am having a lot of fun with it so far, but that seems a bit long? Hope the game doesn't run out of steam before then.

Salaadin

Havent run into any problems with glitches other than floating ball above the mini golf area. When I beat that course and moved to the next, it fixed itself. Seemed to be caused by an aggressive putt that caused the ball to go airborn...and then it never landed in game.
Other than that, things have been pretty smooth.

Im really enjoying this. Got about 8 hours in and its just fantastic.

Top Bottom