• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

cilonen

Ok, I've hit a wall.

Has anyone found all three secret holes in Coldwind Wastes?

I saw a post ask this earlier, but no one got around to responding where the last one was.
I got the one in the fenced square and one to the right of the Christmas tree, but I can't find the third anywhere...

Oh... from dodgy memory
it's northwest of the pro shop / house maybe? I think if you defrost everything you can possibly defrost you'll get it. The one to the right of the Christmas tree where the ice was raised and you can see the hole through it is the odd one out - the other two look like frozen people IIRC

Let me go fire it up and check.

Ok, I've hit a wall.

Has anyone found all three secret holes in Coldwind Wastes?

I saw a post ask this earlier, but no one got around to responding where the last one was.
I got the one in the fenced square and one to the right of the Christmas tree, but I can't find the third anywhere...

Try doing the one to the right of the christmas tree again. I had to re-do that one a couple of times and it somehow worked and let me progress.

Sayer

I think my save is stuffed. I need a digging item but all side quests are completed and the pro shop is closed. I think I've ran around all open areas 6 times to make sure I haven't missed anything. I really hope I haven't glitched it as I've been enjoying it :(

ZeroX03

Banned
Lol we're coming from completely opposite poles. I love nothing more than choosing dialogue options from a list, as long as the options are varied.

Can't stand it. Pick a personality and stick to it, write specifically to it. The choices are never what I would say, so it's not like it works as an avatar.

Commander Shepard says hi.

Mass Effect is the exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Shepherd is basically just two personalities, a paragon and a renegade with roughly the same result. Classic flowchart. I would've been much more into the series (and I did like 2 and 3) if Shepherd was someone I actually gave a damn about. Plus you had to play through the game twice for trophies anyway so you saw most of the dialogue options.

Weird to have this conversation about Golf Story. But I think especially in the JRPG vein which pushes main characters it's better to go deeper.

We're talking about a golf game with RPG-lite elements, not The Witcher. And Golf Story's protagonist is nowhere near deep nor engaging. Not that any of the game's characters are particularly likeable.

That's kind of the point. I'm saying going deeper and more engaging, not more generic and whatever you want. Deeper doesn't necessarily mean dramatic either, develop the comedic persona.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think my save is stuffed. I need a digging item but all side quests are completed and the pro shop is closed. I think I've ran around all open areas 6 times to make sure I haven't missed anything. I really hope I haven't glitched it as I've been enjoying it :(

Pro Shop is closed where? You need:
the digging wedges from the Valley shop

stinkytick

Neo Member

Are you in the second area? If so, make sure you didn't miss the area to the left

BTW need some help of my own with a sidequest:

Regarding
Caching

Met the cacher at the soda bar and already have the coin. But now he says I need 5 more coins. Are they "randomly" spread through the courses or are there any hints where they may be? I've tried talking to the cacher again but he repeats the same "Come back to me when you have 5 coins"

Ladekabel

That
Putting Sidequest you need the flippers for
in Bermuda is breaking me. I have no clue what I‘m supposed to do. Balls don’t even come close.

Lusal

Neo Member
Check your inventory for a specific wedge

Haunted

Lovely little gem.

Clever how much personality they manage to convey with those little animated dialogue boxes.

xxracerxx

I am, I found 5 turtles and did the challenge to bounce the ball off their backs but nothing came of it

What do you mean nothing came of it?

Also, have you done all the challenges in the area to the right on the Valley level?

stinkytick

Neo Member
What do you mean nothing came of it?

Also, have you done all the challenges in the area to the right on the Valley level?

This may be it

If I recall correctly
the pro shop unlocks when you complete the Fairway and Rough challenges. The bunker (last one) is optional

BTA

Is (course 4)
aqua golf
bugged? I failed the first challenge on it by a single hole (and skipped through the line of dialogue on talking to her again thinking it would just restart) but then it suddenly moved me onto just hitting targets instead, so I'm confused.

I mean, it's also definitely bugged in that I got balls in the fucking holes a few times without them actually going in, but that might just be weird bouncing/perspective issues.

EDIT: Weird, it still tracks your progress and you can complete what the challenge had you doing to get a prize? Huh.

Because a game where the character can be significantly different means their personally, motivations and how they’re treated by others would be radically different.

There’s never been a create a character where the main character has been as deep or engaging as an individually crafted one, as far as I know. Interactions and story get homogenized or we’re choosing dialogue from a list. No thanks to either.

All anyone's asking for is race/gender/appearance, not anything about personality or dialogue. It's not like the main character is particularly well developed or treated any specific way as is anyway so I'm not sure what you're talking about!

I legitimately can't tell if you sincerely feel that character customization inherently requires that stuff or if this is just "white men are the default and you have to have a good reason to go away from that" etc. stuff.

ZeroX03

Banned
All anyone's asking for is race/gender/appearance, not anything about personality or dialogue. It's not like the main character is particularly well developed or treated any specific way as is anyway so I'm not sure what you're talking about!

I legitimately can't tell if you sincerely feel that character customization inherently requires that stuff or if this is just "white men are the default and you have to have a good reason to go away from that" etc. stuff.

I'm saying develop the character further rather than make them generic enough to be swappable for any character. That's not hard to understand. I've been very clear.

I'm not trying to push a racial angle. Absolutely give us non-white non-male leads, which would inherently be a different character and I want them to explore those angles rather than making them ultra plain. Here the lead is what, mid twenties I think based on the time skip? That's totally different than if the main character were an Asian female in her teens (where we have real life success stories for in golf), or someone middle aged returning to the sport or an elderly old racist who uses golf as a way to pass the time instead of doing their presidential duties.

BTA

I'm saying develop the character further rather than make them generic enough to be swappable for any character. That's not hard to understand. I've been very clear.

I'm not trying to push a racial angle. Absolutely give us non-white non-male leads, which would inherently be a different character and I want them to explore those angles rather than making them ultra plain. Here the lead is what, mid twenties I think based on the time skip? That's totally different than if the main character were an Asian female in her teens (where we have real life success stories for in golf), or someone middle aged returning to the sport or an elderly old racist who uses golf as a way to pass the time instead of doing their presidential duties.

Ah, I see.

I just still think it's possible for them to be customizable and also develop them further, I guess. I'd appreciate just not playing as a white guy if there's a set character in a followup though.

Tubobutts

Regarding
Caching

Met the cacher at the soda bar and already have the coin. But now he says I need 5 more coins. Are they "randomly" spread through the courses or are there any hints where they may be? I've tried talking to the cacher again but he repeats the same "Come back to me when you have 5 coins"
You find them throughout the different courses, and you'll run into people who will give you clues.

xxracerxx

I need money does all courses pay the same for the 9 holes?

I am going to try to buy the clubs sold at the mini golf house and see what it does

I am still short for
the putter
by about $80 and I own everything I can at the moment and am working on
restoring the first area

I completely agree. I much prefer when games have a dedicated main character. It would be better if ours wasn't named "Player" but he absolutely does have his own story and character arc and characteristics. He's not a blank slate.

What would be cool is something like the background option in Dragon age: Origins where you choose your starting class and have your own special intro, and then no matter what you choose you get to the main story where everything is largely similar save for a handful of conversations. Lets you have character customization while still having each character feel unique and having their differences be meaningful rather than cosmetic.

brad-t

That's kind of the point. I'm saying going deeper and more engaging, not more generic and whatever you want. Deeper doesn't necessarily mean dramatic either, develop the comedic persona.

I mean, the game's out ... so that's probably not going to happen now. I can't say I'm personally a huge fan of the game's writing, so the less focus on it, the better. While I do think certain RPGs benefit from plenty of protagonist characterization, I think these types of self-insert experiences that are more about you interacting with the world—and vice versa—and developing your own skills don't really benefit from in-depth characterization. To each their own.

Personally my girlfriend was disappointed there was no way to customize the player character.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just bought the game. I'm enjoying it, but I just ran into a bug where the game became unresponsive after I examined something. Had to exit out of the game and restart.

Thankfully the game autosaves, so I didn't lose any progress.

Eh I think it's fair to want the feature. The story could've been made to work around it without losing much, in my opinion. Obviously I wouldn't pass on the game over it, but I would hope that with more resources the devs will take it into account next time.

There's a difference between wanting a feature and feeling a game should have it for arbitrary reasons. You're playing a character with his own personality and history, not an avatar of yourself

frankelliott

Neo Member
Is it technically impossible to do the disc golf with a single joycon? Sent my lefties off for repair and having no joy...

What is the actual control scheme for disc golf?

xxracerxx

Is it technically impossible to do the disc golf with a single joycon? Sent my lefties off for repair and having no joy...

What is the actual control scheme for disc golf?

I didn't even realize you could play this game with only a single joy-con.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah, I see.

I just still think it's possible for them to be customizable and also develop them further, I guess. I'd appreciate just not playing as a white guy if there's a set character in a followup though.

No, I totally get that. I’m a bit sick of the generic teen/early 20s white (or Japanese) male prodigy archetype and would love games in general to branch out.

I mean, the game's out ... so that's probably not going to happen now. I can't say I'm personally a huge fan of the game's writing, so the less focus on it, the better. While I do think certain RPGs benefit from plenty of protagonist characterization, I think these types of self-insert experiences that are more about you interacting with the world—and vice versa—and developing your own skills don't really benefit from in-depth characterization. To each their own.

Personally my girlfriend was disappointed there was no way to customize the player character.

Yeah the game is out and we have a character who has a background, history and personality but not done well enough. It’s not self insert IMO. I’d like to see him brought into his own, whereas others would like to see a broader customizable character. Game is half way either side. And I don’t mean to be too critical, keeping in mind the size of the game’s team.

I like the writing but it could be improved. Strong effort from what I assume wasn’t a full time writer. Like look at where the old LucasArts titles hit in terms of both comedy and character. How phenomenal would that be with the gameplay to back it up?

BTA

Yeah, regarding the existing character... part of the reason I'd rather just have customization (if this really had to be an either or) is that I think what's been there so far isn't great. The player character's dialogue has been funny but "angry ex-wife" isn't exactly an enjoyable or original plot.

I didn't even realize you could play this game with only a single joy-con.

I mean, I guess you'd need a control scheme for multiplayer anyway. Does it lose ZL/ZR or L/R?

That
Putting Sidequest you need the flippers for
in Bermuda is breaking me. I have no clue what I‘m supposed to do. Balls don’t even come close.

I just beat that, used the $300 putter from the mini putt area on course 1 but not sure how much that helped.

On the first hole aim a bit below the cup and use just over 1/3 power.

Hole two you aim almost straight down, at the character near full power.

Hole three aim up and hit hard; on all 3 you've got to play into the curve and after the first hole you don't aim anywhere near the cup.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Game is good to ok - but nothing amazing imo. I’ll probably finish but I don’t have any real excitement about it. I find the golf portion mostly annoying with all the obstacles etc... feels cheap sometimes instead of challenging.

Camells

Anybody knows where is the cache treasure of Bermuda Isles? I got the riddle talking about a long board and a red flag but I searched everywhere and found nothing...

No, I totally get that. I’m a bit sick of the generic teen/early 20s white (or Japanese) male prodigy archetype and would love games in general to branch out.

Yeah the game is out and we have a character who has a background, history and personality but not done well enough. It’s not self insert IMO. I’d like to see him brought into his own, whereas others would like to see a broader customizable character. Game is half way either side. And I don’t mean to be too critical, keeping in mind the size of the game’s team.

I like the writing but it could be improved. Strong effort from what I assume wasn’t a full time writer. Like look at where the old LucasArts titles hit in terms of both comedy and character. How phenomenal would that be with the gameplay to back it up?

I'm not sure I agree. How is the character done half way? No part of him allows you to self-insert yourself. He has his own personality and reactions to conversations and events. You seem to be looking for deeper/more complex actions or cutscenes, but the game is fairly minimalist in that regard.

I get that the Lucas Arts adventure games are the gold standard when it comes to comedy writing in games, but they're completely different genres with a completely different focus.

ggx2ac

Finally finished the game, it was close to 20 hours.

So Lorraine does say to the main character,
"are you good at tennis?"

And erm... after progressing further, I got to the point where it skipped to the next day, got out of my bed and got stuck between the bed and phone, couldn't move at all. Lol. This game... :p

Only saw this now. I had the same issue too, you have to press +, go to the quit icon, Save and Quit, and then once you start again the problem should be fixed.

Top Bottom