• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Can anyone tell me how to (Tidy Park spoilers)
get the book down off the shelf for Dorris?
What may be confusing is that there are two interactions with Dorris. You need to put the vinegar on the shelf, that will trigger Lara to something else. Then get the working bell from the soda bar use it to distract Dorris. That should spark a chain of events to eventually get the book.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not sure I agree. How is the character done half way? No part of him allows you to self-insert yourself. He has his own personality and reactions to conversations and events. You seem to be looking for deeper/more complex actions or cutscenes, but the game is fairly minimalist in that regard.

I get that the Lucas Arts adventure games are the gold standard when it comes to comedy writing in games, but they're completely different genres with a completely different focus.

He’s clearly half way because a bunch of people in his thread seem to be reading into him as a self insert character even though he isn’t. Doesn’t help that he’s got very little agency other than “I like golf!” for the first few hours. I see him (and most of the other characters) as half baked more than anything, obviously his own person but it doesn’t show enough.

brad-t

He's clearly half way because a bunch of people in his thread seem to be reading into him as a self insert character even though he isn't. Doesn't help that he's got very little agency other than ”I like golf!" for the first few hours. I see him (and most of the other characters) as half baked more than anything, obviously his own person but it doesn't show enough.

I don't think he's intended to be a self-insert, but I think that 1) this genre of game is better suited to them than perhaps any other and 2) the amount of characterization is so fleeting that he may as well have been.

But again, as much as I love the concept and overall gameplay I have to say it's not really the mood or atmosphere that I hoped for from this game. If you like what's there, I can see why you'd want them to double down on it. I personally would've liked the game to focus more on the player's own "golf story" than this strange and often mean-spirited tale.

BTA

I don't think he's intended to be a self-insert, but I think that 1) this genre of game is better suited to them than perhaps any other and 2) the amount of characterization is so fleeting that he may as well have been.

But again, as much as I love the concept and overall gameplay I have to say it's not really the mood or atmosphere that I hoped for from this game. If you like what's there, I can see why you'd want them to double down on it. I personally would've liked the game to focus more on the player's own "golf story" than this strange and often mean-spirited tale.

Yeah, mostly agreed with this. This sort of game seems better fit for a player stand-in, even with a set personality, than what I've seen of the player's story so far. Otherwise: it could become an actual criticism of the dynamics around golf (which might be slightly different in Australia?) but it doesn't seem like it wants to go for that.

Regarding the atmosphere, as much as I'm enjoying most of the game otherwise,
"MY EX-WIFE'S SHOWING OFF HER NEW MAN TO MAKE ME JEALOUS" and so on is... really tired and groanworthy. The multiple phones bit was funny, I'll admit, but that could have been transplanted in trying to lie to impress anyone else and still been just as funny.
I'm not really seeing the comparisons reviews and such made to Earthbound; I admittedly haven't actually played it but I thought Earthbound was more kind and sincere, not just quirky...?

ZeroX03

Banned

I don't see how comedy J-ish RPG is suited to self-insert characters at all. It's the genre where I'd least want them.

He's not intended to be a self insert, he just isn't given enough (early) characterization for people to say "oh he's somebody with a compelling story". That doesn't even have to mean giving more dialogue to the MC (which would've helped), but just things like the subtext or even the text boxes which give a lot of insight into the personality of the other characters.

duckroll

I don't see how comedy J-ish RPG is suited to self-insert characters at all. It's the genre where I'd least want them.

He's not intended to be a self insert, he just isn't given enough (early) characterization for people to say "oh he's somebody with a compelling story".

Does the J there stand for Juvenile? :p

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just had the game hang again while playing the mini-golf game. Had no choice but to quit out of the game and restart. Maybe I should've waited on this game...

brad-t

Yeah, mostly agreed with this. This sort of game seems better fit for a player stand-in, even with a set personality, than what I've seen of the player's story so far. Otherwise: it could become an actual criticism of the dynamics around golf (which might be slightly different in Australia?) but it doesn't seem like it wants to go for that.

Regarding the atmosphere, as much as I'm enjoying most of the game otherwise,
"MY EX-WIFE'S SHOWING OFF HER NEW MAN TO MAKE ME JEALOUS" and so on is... really tired and groanworthy. The multiple phones bit was funny, I'll admit, but that could have been transplanted in trying to lie to impress anyone else and still been just as funny.
I'm not really seeing the comparisons reviews and such made to Earthbound; I admittedly haven't actually played it but I thought Earthbound was more kind and sincere, not just quirky...?

I'm still pretty early on, but what's in those spoiler tags doesn't sound good lol. Definitely nothing Earthbound-like about it to me.

Er, can someone explain to me how you do a top spin and a back spin this game? Just started.

When you're aiming, before you lock in your shot, press the bumpers (L or R) and there'll be a shading on the top or bottom of the ball.

You can also change this/input this while you're doing your actual shot if you change your mind.

BTA

I'm still pretty early on, but what's in those spoiler tags doesn't sound good lol. Definitely nothing Earthbound-like about it to me.

I'm making it sound worse than it is probably (it's not a thing actually said, just the situation) but it's not exactly a charming story either.

I'm stuck in Lurker Valley.
Where do I find the shovel? And how do I get the idol back
? I've already
fed the fish, won the tournament, returned the turtles, throw the ball and beat the wee links challenge

Edit: Just read the previous page. Damn, I had no idea I could equip different clubs! Looks like I solved one of my problems.

Taking this moment to rant about 'Sink or Fly' in the third area.

tl;dr - It sucks

First of all, the 'hold R to putt longer' mechanic isn't made clear prior to you having to make this shot. Second, it's a simple shot - but there's so much INANE BULLSHIT surround EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT. Miss the shot? Watch as the bird slowly flies over, grabs your ball, and flies back.
Miss three times? Sit through SO MUCH GODDAMN DIALOGUE just so you can start over.

Is there really no mass dialogue skip button? Just a flat 'retry challenge' option?

Game is phenomenal. But MAN does this mission suck.

Yohanov

Neo Member
Don't miss the
drone golfing
mini-game, you access it in the lobby via the park on the the top left corner of the last area you unlock, nothing will point you to it.

Also for the people complaining about the putting course challenge on the isles, something much harder is waiting for you later ^^
9 holes putting course with huge slopes in the pro tour course.

so disappointed with the final cacher's treasure at the fountain

I wanted a super club that would reach 400 yards or something

now I don't feel motivated to play Blue Mountain

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
lol the molerats and the groundskeeper

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Camells

Also having trouble finding this, can anyone help?

found it and honestly it was right under my nose lol
it's right on the front of the welcome sign when you enter Bermuda isle, the dig prompt triggers near the bushes, there is a red flag drawing on the sign...

lawnchair

Banned
nub question:

when playing a hole is there a way to zoom all the way out to see the whole thing? it zooms on its own at the beginning of the hole but i can't figure a way to zoom more when i'm actually playing it.

nub question:

when playing a hole is there a way to zoom all the way out to see the whole thing? it zooms on its own at the beginning of the whole but i can't figure a way to zoom more when i'm actually playing it.
You can move the right stick to move around a bit but I don’t think you can see the entire course

ZugZug123

Taking this moment to rant about 'Sink or Fly' in the third area.

tl;dr - It sucks

First of all, the 'hold R to putt longer' mechanic isn't made clear prior to you having to make this shot. Second, it's a simple shot - but there's so much INANE BULLSHIT surround EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT. Miss the shot? Watch as the bird slowly flies over, grabs your ball, and flies back.
Miss three times? Sit through SO MUCH GODDAMN DIALOGUE just so you can start over.

Is there really no mass dialogue skip button? Just a flat 'retry challenge' option?

Game is phenomenal. But MAN does this mission suck.

Had to search the thread to figure this out. Thanks!!

Cerium

Darn that's too bad. Haven't heard others mention it. And I'm 15 hours in and have yet to have it happen.

Yeah it sucks that glitches are getting in the way of some players' enjoyment; I can only imagine the range of emotions the devs are experiencing with the level of success they're having versus the urgency of a stability patch. No time to celebrate, shit's gotta be fixed ASAP and they know it.

My game has locked up twice now, both solved by a save and quit. Heart goes out to anyone having more serious problems.

JBuccCP

So I think my save might be fucked. I was at a part where I was trapped in a room and nothing was happening even after talking to everyone so I figured it might be a scripting bug which had happened once before already. So I quit out and now my character is tiny and I can't interact with anything. Quit out of the game and reset the Switch and neither fixed it. I'm going to delete and re-download but if that doesn't work I'm going to try and get a refund. I'm enjoying the game but the bugs are too much.

edit: Found a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_vDzSopTyc.

Pastry

Banned
Could use some help finding the washer?

icgot the washer token from Lara but where the bell isn’t the washer? Trying to solve the murder

Been going back and forth about getting this right now but it sounds like it needs a patch first.

I have too many other games right now as it is so it seems like the right choice to let the bugs be addressed.

Zekes!

One thing I hope they fix (unless I'm missing something) is that 2 Players requires two controllers. Considering that you take turns, it should be possible to play with a single controller, and just hand off

mstevens

Stuck on the
murder mystery.. can't figure out how to get her dinner and some guy says a key is in a potted plant, but I've checked them all. So far I've gotten the book and the soda.

edit: may have found it - I was sure I checked that one ;)

Fireblend

Banned
This game is 2-3 QoL patches away from being great.

- I wish I was able to get out of challenges without literally going to the Switch menu and reloading the game, specially the longer ones.

- Wish I could see the entire course after the first overview video. The zoom out function isn't enough.

- We really need the option to be able to turn off course gimmicks, at least in quick play. I want pure golf not weird animal RNG.

- There are some challenges that I wish I could replay, and would give the game some more longevity like the course-maker's.

Small things that make me think the game could've used some more time in the oven for. I really hope the devs are thinking of expanding upon the game rather than just fixing bugs (which will also be very appreciated).

Cerium

I really hope the devs are thinking of expanding upon the game rather than just fixing bugs (which will also be very appreciated).
Agree, and if they can add online multiplayer then this will be a GOAT eShop title. Hopefully they'll speak up about their future plans after the stability patch is submitted.

mstevens

This game is 2-3 QoL patches away from being great.

- I wish I was able to get out of challenges without literally going to the Switch menu and reloading the game, specially the longer ones.

- Wish I could see the entire course after the first overview video. The zoom out function isn't enough.

- We really need the option to be able to turn off course gimmicks, at least in quick play. I want pure golf not weird animal RNG.

Yes, I agree on these 3 points especially.

Pastry

Banned
I’m missing an icy ore and can’t seem to find it at all. Is any particular one really well hidden?

Is this stuff necessary to progress the story? I’ve looked everywhere including zoomed out and can’t find the fifth one.

Top Bottom