• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good samaritan helping lost toddler gets punched by father, labeled predator online

Ryuuroden

My girlfriend nearly came to blows with a cop because someone called the cops on me when all 3 of us were at the mall play area and my girlfriend was sitting down while I was staying near our 2 year old making sure she didn't fall while climbing on the playground. I was accused of being a child predator for being alone by my daughter. So yeah, its gone fucking overboard in some instances.

Yep, as others have said, this is why as as black man, I ain't helping anybody or anyone's lost kids. Don't need that bullshit in my life.

The samaritan's name is Utpal Patel, so a pretty good chance that he's brown. Can't help but think that factored into it...

Damn, really? Not like this is any better but I guess whenever I think of a child predator I think of the typical frail white guy with combed hair.

Like Buscemi in Con Air or...

kipnapoleondyn123.gif

Not quite sure that there is any way that this is a loss in court if the person is innocent, granted I do understand going to court is always a PITA. There is always danger that public opinion helps the assaulter fund a million dollar attorney, and the next thing you know you are fighting a brutal uphill battle.

Hower, court is still a court of law. This is assault plain and simple if I am not attempting to abduct the child, with witnesses to back-up my story. The only story the attacker has is "I thought he was going to kidnap, so I assaulted him"... this doesn't hold any defense if I am innocent.

Huh? You can't see how a system that has punished innocent people and rewarded guilty people may be biased against a non-white person who's being accused of abduction?

It ultimately doesn't matter, a person isn't guilty if they don't pursue criminal cases. That'd be like saying that a woman who was beaten by her husband but doesn't press charges must be guilty to some extent.

Dynomutt

This type of reaction is why I'll stand by and watch your unsupervised kid walk off a cliff. Sorry.

As sad as that sounds it's true these days. Imagine if this happened at a BBQ or cookout and not a public softball game and the child wandered out of the yard into the street. You could get lumped up for doing the right thing if not worse.

The reaction I've gotten for letting someone know their gas tank is open is locked doors and clutched purses. Learned my lesson no longer my problem. Just mind my business.

I would rather be labelled a coward than a child predator.
And let a kid potentially die? Good for you.

Stop perpetuating this dumb fucking myth that every man who helps a kid is going to have a scarlett 'P' branded onto his forehead.

Yes, situations like the OP happen when assholes are involved but the hyperbole has to stop.

L Thammy

Stop perpetuating this dumb fucking myth that every man who helps a kid is going to have a Scarlett 'P' branded onto his forehead.

Yes, situations like the OP happen when assholes are involved but the hyperbole has to stop.

This "myth" is just a symptom of a larger problem. Deal with how men and women are viewed differently with regards to parenting and parental instinct, and this problem will solve itself.

If you don't help a kid for fear of "optics", you're a coward, plain and simple.

You gonna pay my legal fees and fox my destroyed reputation? Didn't think so. Sorry. No one besides my family would give me the benefit of the doubt. Not gonna have my big Black ass caught holding some little kids hand leading em somewhere. Nope. Not trying to get shot 30 times in the back cause "I feared for me life, johnson..." Nope.

I'll keep an eye and call the cops. That's it.

There are people in this thread who have said they would attack someone helping their child first and then try to apologize after.
So?

I've picked up random boys and girls who have fallen over. I've taken pictures of my kids in a busy playground. I've stood by myself outside their kindergarten.

Not once have I thought "I shouldn't be doing this because someone might get the wrong idea".

The father is a real piece of shit. Leaving a toddler by herself and then punching a man trying to help her find him. I feel bad for the child knowing shes got such a miserable excuse of a human being for a parent.

I feel sorry for the person trying to help as well. To have all this shit happen to him for just trying to help out someone is awful.

So?

I've picked up random boys and girls who have fallen over. I've taken pictures of my kids in a busy playground. I've stood by myself outside their kindergarten.

Not once have I thought "I shouldn't be doing this because someone might get the wrong idea".

...Until one day someone did get the wrong idea.

You gonna pay my legal fees and fox my destroyed reputation? Didn't think so. Sorry. No one besides my family would give me the benefit of the doubt. Not gonna have my big Black ass caught holding some little kids hand leading em somewhere. Nope. Not trying to get shot 30 times in the back cause "I feared for me life, johnson..." Nope.

I'll keep an eye and call the cops. That's it.
Don't have kids yourself then because I'd love to know how you'd react if some selfish prick let your daughter wander into traffic because he was scared of how it might look.

JoeBoy101

Stop perpetuating this dumb fucking myth that every man who helps a kid is going to have a scarlett 'P' branded onto his forehead.

Is this the dumb fucking myth that is documented in news and police reports, along with anecdotes from members here in this thread?

sa201674

Banned
Sad that many are more willing to think about their squeaky clean image first than to think about the needs of a freaking drowning baby. The very definition of Selfishness.

It can't be helped, society has made the image of male stranger w/ child = predator a widespread thing.

I hope Feminism or any other movement that's not MRA destroy this injustice.

kai3345

Banned
Don't have kids yourself then because I'd love to know how you'd react if some selfish prick let your daughter wander into traffic because he was scared of how it might look.

no one is talking about walking into traffic. obviously if the kid is in immediate danger, you do something. if a kid is wandering around crying at a baseball game? nah

Koppai

Haha im tempted to go on their Facebook page and post how incompetent they are and how they are sick to trash a bystander that was just trying to help.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

So?

Do you not leave the house for fear of getting hit by a drunk driver?

"Men" in 2017 y'all

Careful guys! Internet tough guy over here!

I'd be more concerned with the selfish prick that should be watching their own kid.

That my job as a parent. Sorry but I'm not getting my life destroyed cause you can't watch your kid. Get a backpack leash.

Look, I can sort of understand the initial violent reaction based on a misunderstanding and how parents can get violently protective of their kids, but no apologies after the fact? No attempt to rectify the situation? That makes you a complete piece of shit. The father deserves some punches to the head his own damn self for ruining the Good Samaritan's life.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Thinking that the safety of children should come before optics makes me a tough guy huh?

I'd say "real life normal guy" fits better.

No, essentially calling posters ignorant pussies makes you an internet tough guy, in case you were wondering. Which, I'm sure you weren't.

This pissed me off too. Gow the hell do you let them do this to you, and your family.

I would have trouble sleeping at night without settling some scores with that asshole. Nothing too drastic because the asshole is the father to a child, but he would have to pay, somehow and someway.

"Men" in 2017 y'all

Ah, so men have to fit a certain gender norm while women do not?

Thinking that the safety of children should come before optics makes me a tough guy huh?

I'd say "real life normal guy" fits better.

People are thinking of their own safety, in a thread about a man beaten, harassed, threatened, and run out of town by an angry mob because he literally did what you said people should do

I'm not ignoring them. I'm calling them bullshit strawmen. There's a difference.

It's a bullshit strawman when that's exactly what happened in the OP? Dude got attacked then labeled a pedophile and had to move. That's not a strawman when others indicate that's why they'd be hesitate to approach a lost child.

Now you gonna a respond with something besides petty name calling?

Van Bur3n

Terrible parent loses his child and then beats another man for doing a better job, doesn't even have the decency to apologize for his own mistake, and now made said man look like a predator. Fuck that, I'd be pressing charges. No asshole is getting away with that.

Indulging in some toxic masculinity and gender stereotypes, how nice.

Yea I don't know how shit like this is OK. Cause it's really not.

Sorry but I'm not less of a man because when I saw a little kid crying and lost on a cruise ship I fell way back and let my wife take lil man to the help desk. Sorry but I'm not getting accused of that shit. I don't think some posters really comprehend how that can damage you especially fiscally.

Not losing my job over an allegation like that. Supposed to foreclose on my home because "I'm a real man I'll show them!" Fuck outta here lol. People are crazy over their kids. Not crazy enough to watch them properly but that's a whole other thing..

Furyous

If you don't help a kid for fear of "optics", you're a coward, plain and simple.

Go back, read the story in the OP, and reply to me with something substantial that focuses on the topic.

Good Sam rescued a lost kid and tried to help her find her parents regardless of the optics so he's not a coward, plan and simple but....

He was detained by police
The girl's father assaulted him
The girl's family doxxed him by sharing his picture, libeling him, and slandering him online, allegedly.
Internet spread all his information around the internet labeling him as a pedophile.

As a result of this it will be hard for him to earn a living and support his family. His career is damn near over because he helped out a kid without paying attention to the optics. Now tell those of us concerned about this result why we are cowards. Will you pay our legal fees for our lawsuits as we sue the associated police department and media outlets?

night814

Sounds like the father just wanted to beat someone up. It's reactionist culture; to go to the extreme without worrying about consequences. The quote "I wanted to kill him" is crazy, how bout you keep an eye or your kid and don't let some stranger even have the opportunity to help.

Go back, read the story in the OP, and reply to me with something substantial that focuses on the topic.

Good Sam rescued a lost kid and tried to help her find her parents regardless of the optics so he's not a coward, plan and simple but....

The girl's family doxxed him by sharing his picture, libeling him, and slandering him online, allegedly.
Internet spread all his information around the internet labeling him as a pedophile.

As a result of this it will be hard for him to earn a living and support his family. His career is damn near over because he helped out a kid without paying attention to the optics. Now tell those of us concerned about this result why we are cowards. Will you pay our legal fees for our lawsuits as we sue the associated police department and media outlets?

Stop making sense.

Anung

Un Rama

Reading things and comprehending them is for cowards. What say you to that!

akira28

Damn, really? Not like this is any better but I guess whenever I think of a child predator I think of the typical frail white guy with combed hair.

there's a specific and long history of black men being killed after being accused of raping or hurting young white girls. Usually by angry mobs, or "unknown" vigilantes, but sometimes they make it to trial. most of the time they were scapegoats and racist mobs were more than ready to act on just the accusation.

Top Bottom