• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the type of thinking which has ruined so much of our world.

Blame god or mother nature, whichever you prefer. Humans are ironically one of the few species with the ability for cross-species empathy. Almost no other animal species even has the cognitive capacity to give the slightest fuck about you.

Protip: Our ancestors wouldn't have survived if they'd seen animals as having equal value as humans.

taoofjord

Doesn't sound like the mom knows she screwed up, but just excuses it as "accidents happen". She's more pissed off that people even criticised her parenting skills.

13344558_10206726791423722_5822078787422175859_n.jpg

I still come away from that feeling the same. For all we know she's telling the truth or is a super paranoid, watchful parent that really did just get unlucky.

My wife and I have a dog that we love and basically treat like a kid in some ways. We adopted him and he's got a lot of anxiety issues that we've had difficulty correcting. Sometimes when something scares him outside he pulls as hard as he can to get out of his collar. The first time he did this we had the collar at the recommended level of tightness but due to the size of his head (small) it makes it a lot easier to pull out of. He ended up pulling out of his collar and ran across the neighborhood, a couple roads, and all the way back home. We ran after him and couldn't catch up. I was so ridiculously angry with myself, really criticizing myself, unfairly so, for something we we didn't know we had to prepare for. I don't think that's exactly the right way to go about it either.

knkng

Ah yes, her son was almost killed yesterday when she let him fall 10ft into a pit but let's jump on Facebook and play damage control while thanking god and taking zero responsibility for the incident. And of course no mention of the animal that had to die as a result of her negligence.

It's clearly not her fault. God did all of this, and God is awesome. It was probably an evil gorilla anyways.

But seriously, I don't get the people saying that the zoo wasn't safe enough. Can we not have any degree of human responsibility? Do we have to build 8 foot high walls around every road on the planet since a kid might wander out onto one? Give me a break. The stupidity of one person should not be able to ruin things for everybody else who is capable of following rules and taking responsibility for their actions (or the actions of their young children whom they preside over).

greepoman

I still come away from that feeling the same. For all we know she's telling the truth or is a super paranoid, watchful parent that really did just get unlucky.

Yeah I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now too. I think it's a natural reaction to be a little defensive if someone criticizes your parenting no matter if you're a great parent or not.

I have a 3 year old myself I consider myself a hyper-vigilant parent (bordering on paranoid) of stuff like this, but even I have had those moments where you get distracted for an instant and are like "oh shit that could've been bad".

And about making the enclosure safer, it's worth a look at... but I'll tell you my son is a GOOD climber and if he wanted to get in he could probably do it no matter how you designed it.

JayTapp

There's allegedly a post of the mother speaking out about the incident:

Not one single word about the death of the innocent animal. No remorse, no care, only that people are quick to judge. I fucking hate society.

God protected the kid and struck down the gorilla!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Surprised how much criticism the Zoo is getting for shooting the gorilla. There really was no other option. They should be criticized for having an enclosure a little kid could get into. Parent's certainly share some of the blame for not paying attention, but kids get away from parent's all the time. How the heck does a kid get in?

sangreal

Surprised how much criticism the Zoo is getting for shooting the gorilla. There really was no other option. They should be criticized for having an enclosure a little kid could get into. Parent's certainly share some of the blame for not paying attention, but kids get away from parent's all the time. How the heck does a kid get in?

they're designed to keep the gorillas in, not people out

My wife and I have a dog that we love and basically treat like a kid in some ways. We adopted him and he's got a lot of anxiety issues that we've had difficulty correcting. Sometimes when something scares him outside he pulls as hard as he can to get out of his collar. The first time he did this we had the collar at the recommended level of tightness but due to the size of his head (small) it makes it a lot easier to pull out of. He ended up pulling out of his collar and ran across the neighborhood, a couple roads, and all the way back home. We ran after him and couldn't catch up. I was so ridiculously angry with myself, really criticizing myself, unfairly so, for something we we didn't know we had to prepare for. I don't think that's exactly the right way to go about it either.

Yeah I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now too. I think it's a natural reaction to be a little defensive if someone criticizes your parenting no matter if you're a great parent or not.

I have a 3 year old myself I consider myself a hyper-vigilant parent (bordering on paranoid) of stuff like this, but even I have had those moments where you get distracted for an instant and are like "oh shit that could've been bad".

And about making the enclosure safer, it's worth a look at... but I'll tell you my son is a GOOD climber and if he wanted to get in he could probably do it no matter how you designed it.

You parents wouldn't be holding your kids' hands or leashing them at that point of the zoo with railings and a possible fall? If I was a typical paranoid parent, I'd grip the shit out of them until they're in a completely safe zone.

taoofjord

they're designed to keep the gorillas in, not people out

Wrong. Zoos enclosures are often built with both in mind (at least the ones I've been to in the US).

Didn't read that part of the article so I'm not sure how that went down (if tranquilizing was even an option). But I do think that killing an endangered animal that has harmed or killed a human is not always necessary. Best case scenario in my mind would be to move the animal to a sanctuary if integration was possible.

RPGCrazied

Her real name leaked out? That is no good. I don't wish ill on the parent, still think a fine would be necessary.

And that facebook post, wow. At least show empathy to the Gorilla.

knkng

The same way kids used to always wander into the Wal-Mart warehouse where I used to work. There's nothing dividing the storefront from the warehouse area where people were driving around on forklifts and such.

And guess what, it wasn't my fucking problem. It's the parents job to protect the kid from danger, not the job of the store/zoo/train station/etc. to erect giant walls to protect people incapable of protecting themselves.

The kid put himself into the dangerous situation, that's not the zoos fault. We can't live in a world made of bubble wrap.

I mean, we can argue til the cows come home about the parents fucking up not watching their kids, or the zoo fucking up not reinforcing their enclosures better, but I can't believe people are still critical of the zoo putting down the gorilla. Like, would these people have preferred to have dozens of people (and millions more via video) watch a gorilla tear a toddler to shreds? Would that have been better for business?

what? nowhere in the video dose it show the gorilla being agressive towards the kid, in fact, i dare say the other way around. I saw the gorilla trying to protect the kid.

there was absolutely no necessity in killing it. too bad the mother wasnt around to make sure her child didnt fall in there.
It might not have purposefully aggressive, but the action was definitely aggressive looking and dangerous. I don't know what the video in the OP looks like (can't see it on Chrome for whatever reason), but other sites have the full video where the gorilla drags the child quickly across shallow, rocky water as if the child weighed nothing.

Don't we have stun darts for this type of thing?

Obviously everyone's first priority was to make sure the boy was safe, and rightly so, but still...

DieH@rd

Banned
Don't we have stun darts for this type of thing?

Obviously everyone's first priority was to make sure the boy was safe, and rightly so, but still...

Stun darts do not work fast, and that gorilla is a big and heavy animal so they would need to hit it with many of them. Shooting with live ammo was 100% right choice.

commedieu

Banned
I mean, we can argue til the cows come home about the parents fucking up not watching their kids, or the zoo fucking up not reinforcing their enclosures better, but I can't believe people are still critical of the zoo putting down the gorilla. Like, would these people have preferred to have dozens of people (and millions more via video) watch a gorilla tear a toddler to shreds? Would that have been better for business?

In our society, life is worthless. Humans, and Animals. The best course of action barring tranquilizing, is to put it down, and deal with the repercussions. We shouldn't have animals housed like this, as we shouldn't be destroying all of their land and creating situations where we have to execute them as we continually fail their existence. Bummer about the Gorilla, as it was probably "holy shit what is this, whats going on.. wtf wtf...' (BOOM). Im sure Gorrilaists could speak to its body language, but who has time for that when their kid is in the pen?

"I know you're a little on edge, but mind if we try to separate the gorilla from your child first..?"

How would that go down? Maybe if you had a trained sniper at the ready.. nah. No one is going to say yes to that, even if they did have better procedures. And I can only imagine the lawsuits. I blame the Zoo's security for a kid being able to sneak into a damned enclosure. Prob need a little gap of do-not-cross before the fence and someone watching the line.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
God protected her child? You'd think God could have protected her child a lot better by not letting the kid down there in the first place.

This is unfortunate but a human life is worth more than an animal's. They did what they had to do.

gonna have to agree. of course the best scenario would've been to avoid any death and bloodshed, but it is what it is. when it comes down to saving an innocent human or an animal, save the human.

gonna have to agree. of course the best scenario would've been to avoid any death and bloodshed, but it is what it is. when it comes down to saving an innocent human or an animal, save the human.
I don't know sometimes, though. Like what if a kid got into a panda exhibit?

7billion of us. Only around 3,000 of them.

I'd say one panda's life is more important than one human's life at that stage.

I don't know sometimes, though. Like what if a kid got into a panda exhibit?

7billion of us. Only around 3,000 of them.

I'd say one panda's life is more important than one human's life at that stage.
if a species like pandas starts to go endangered, members of the human species will do what they can to try to preserve them.

if the human species started to die out, pandas wouldn't give two shits.

if a species like pandas starts to go endangered, members of the human species will do what they can to try to preserve them.

if the human species started to die out, pandas wouldn't give two shits.
But most of the extinct/endangered species are endangered or extinct because of us.

Blue whales didn't off themselves.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
the only thing I don't get is why couldn't they have used a tranquilizer gun or something?

No tranquilizer would work instantly. The #1 priority for the Zoo was to get the kid out safely. There was no other choice for them. Wait, and the kid could do something to provoke the Gorilla. Use a tranq and you risk pissing off the Gorilla, endangering the kid in the time it takes for it to take effect.

entremet

Blame god or mother nature, whichever you prefer. Humans are ironically one of the few species with the ability for cross-species empathy. Almost no other animal species even has the cognitive capacity to give the slightest fuck about you.

Protip: Our ancestors wouldn't have survived if they'd seen animals as having equal value as humans.
Good stuff here.

There's allegedly a post of the mother speaking out about the incident:

Not one single word about the death of the innocent animal. No remorse, no care, only that people are quick to judge. I fucking hate society.

Thank you God for striking down one of your beautiful creations.

But most of the extinct/endangered species are endangered or extinct because of us.

Blue whales didn't off themselves.
but we're also the only species that care for the preservation of other species. i get that a lot of the fucked up shit that happens on the earth is our fault, and i don't mean this sarcastically: with great power comes great responsibility.
No tranquilizer would work instantly. The #1 priority for the Zoo was to get the kid out safely. There was no other choice for them. Wait, and the kid could do something to provoke the Gorilla. Use a tranq and you risk pissing off the Gorilla, endangering the kid in the time it takes for it to take effect.
damn I didn't know that. I thought tranquilizers existed that could just put organisms to sleep in one shot.

I think no one under the age of 10 should be allowed on the Zoo. Every 10 yr old and up should be smart enough to know that climbing into an animal cage is a bad idea. Plus why the hell do people bring babies to the Zoo in the first place. Do you really think a baby gives a shit about these animals?

but we're also the only species that care for the preservation of other species. i get that a lot of the fucked up shit that happens on the earth is our fault, and i don't mean this sarcastically: with great power comes great responsibility.
damn I didn't know that. I thought tranquilizers existed that could just put organisms to sleep in one shot.
Well we are doing a shitty fucking job.

Zeeman

Can the tranquilizer thing be edited into the title at this point? It gets asked 2-3 times per page at minimum.

I think no one under the age of 10 should be allowed on the Zoo. Every 10 yr old and up should be smart enough to know that climbing into an animal cage is a bad idea. Plus why the hell do people bring babies to the Zoo in the first place. Do you really think a baby gives a shit about these animals?

A lot of adult do dumb ass things all the time. What force everyone to take a test or put them in a padded cell?

commedieu

Banned
10 yr olds know the difference between right and wrong for the most part.

Clearly 3 year olds have no clue what the hell is going on around them.

Your plan isn't thought out. Parents take kids to places because parents go to places and like to take their children. Sitters aren't always available.

RPGCrazied

And really, about the fence. Don't you think it should be a lot higher than it is now? Something like this, but higher?

o.jpg

And really, about the fence. Don't you think it should be a lot higher than it is now? Something like this, but higher?

o.jpg

Or maybe have someone kinda like that guy with the gun, but without a gun and that checks if people are jumping fences or not?

Or better parents?

Your plan isn't thought out. Parents take kids to places because parents go to places and like to take their children. Sitters aren't always available.

It's always about the convenience of the parents over everything else.

If it's not safe for small children to be around wild animals because they can't behave themselves, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed in the Zoo.

Perfectly rational thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom