• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
I believe you that zoos bring in money to help animals, but it's completely backward... Why is it that we let corporations and people in power do whatever the fuck they want, first, and then can only fight it with money raised primarily from a business opportunity? We need some forward thinking and some god damn ethics laws to control this shit, not some spattering of donation dollars.

And live animals don't need to be on display to pull interest. Dinosaur museums are extremely successful at drumming up enthusiasm.

It doesn't take an "expert" to tell you the best place for wild animals is in their natural environment.

This would be fine and dandy if no animals were getting killed even when living in preserves. Furthermore, a majority of natural environments for a majority of species are almost non existent these days due to rapid human expansion which is only going to get even worse as time goes on.

Yeah Random to me and 99,99999% of people.

I'm just pointing out the implacable logic of saying that every single human life outweighs everything else leads the world to hell, life by life, creature by creature.

Kill all the sharks, that stops shark attacks. All lives matter, remember? Murder all the animals because 2 billion people find their body parts medicinal. Shoot all the tigers because they attack villagers. Kill all the elephants because they destroy crops that feed people. And so on, and so forth.

At some point, the last remaining species herds and animals do actually matter more than individual lives. Actually a point that we've long past IMO. Otherwise we'd have figured out how to stop the endless population growth and land clearing.

Yeah I never understood this sentiment that you have to hold all human life equal. Fact of the matter is that I simply don't give a shit about the majority of people in the world which I'm never going to meet once in my life and I'm sure they feel the same way about me. I wouldn't have shed a tear if this kid died because I have no emotional attachment to him or his family.

knkng

Unless she tossed the kid over the wire herself, then it was the shitty zoo security that caused an innocent animal to be killed.

This is all on the zoo. Not because they shot it, but because they failed to prevent the situation occurring in the first place.

Again, to anybody blaming the zoo, what exactly is your stance on roads, train stations, bridges, etc? A person should know (and I'm certain there are signs and warnings posted) that they can't climb over the fence and jump down 15 feet into the gorilla exhibit, in the exact same way that a person must know not to walk into traffic. If a person does not have the mental capacity to know this, then they must be supervised! You can't build barriers around literally everything even remotely dangerous.

Osukaa

If you can't keep track of your own child maybe you shouldn't have a kid in the first place. Sorry if it's not a popular opinion but seriously come on. Distracted or not put a leash on your child
hellspawn
if you think your gonna not be able to pay attention to him.

I can't wait to be a parent. Nothing is your fault and everyone else is responsible for the safety of your kid.
there's no need to be snark about this. yes the mother was being neglectful, that's on her. but the kid shouldn't have been able to get into the cage. and that's on the zoo.

I'm just pointing out the implacable logic of saying that every single human life outweighs everything else leads the world to hell, life by life, creature by creature.

Kill all the sharks, that stops shark attacks. All lives matter, remember? Murder all the animals because 2 billion people find their body parts medicinal. Shoot all the tigers because they attack villagers. Kill all the elephants because they destroy crops that feed people. And so on, and so forth.

At some point, the last remaining species herds and animals do actually matter more than individual lives. Actually a point that we've long past IMO. Otherwise we'd have figured out how to stop the endless population growth and land clearing.
i'm not gonna try to change your point of view but you're also not going to convince me that the logic is implacable.

if a shark attacks, you fight for your life. even if that means killing the shark to survive. i never said kill all the sharks. man no one said anything about fuckin killin all of em.

You see how we are even having this conversation? If humans were ever in any sort of peril do you think any other species would try to do anything about it?
I don't know, keep an on your child maybe.
Of course keep an eye on your child but on the offset chance that one day you're being a bad parent, on the day you take your kid to the zoo, you wouldn't and shouldn't expect your kid to be able to just get into an animal's chambers.

Again, to anybody blaming the zoo, what exactly is your stance on roads, train stations, bridges, etc? A person should know (and I'm certain there are signs and warnings posted) that they can't climb over the fence and jump down 15 feet into the gorilla exhibit, in the exact same way that a person must know not to walk into traffic. If a person does not have the mental capacity to know this, then they must be supervised! You can't build barriers around literally everything even remotely dangerous.

But you CAN build barriers around dangerous animals at a zoo, in fact, thats exactly wtf a zoo is.

ITT: Parents are robots able to perform at peak efficiency at all times. Good lord, I'd be surprised if some of you held yourselves to half the standard you are demanding of others.

there's no need to be snark about this. yes the mother was being neglectful, that's on her. but the kid shouldn't have been able to get into the cage. and that's on the zoo.
i'm not gonna try to change your point of view but you're also not going to convince me that the logic is implacable.

if a shark attacks, you fight for your life. even if that means killing the shark to survive. i never said kill all the sharks. man no one said anything about fuckin killin all of em.

You see how we are even having this conversation? If humans were ever in any sort of peril do you think any other species would try to do anything about it?Of course keep an eye on your child but on the offset chance that one day you're being a bad parent, on the day you take your kid to the zoo, you wouldn't and shouldn't expect your kid to be able to just get into an animal's chambers.

Kids shouldn't be in the street either. Who gets sued then?

knkng

But you CAN build barriers around dangerous animals at a zoo, in fact, thats exactly wtf a zoo is.

And the gorilla is securely kept in an exhibit with a 15ft barrier around it. There is a fence between the humans and the edge of the exhibit. The difference is that we can communicate to the humans not to jump the fence, do we really need cages for the humans as well?

ITT: Parents are robots able to perform at peak efficiency at all times. Good lord, I'd be surprised if some of you held yourselves to half the standard you are demanding of others.

Peak efficiency? Her kid jumped into a gorilla exhibit in the zoo. It's the only time this has ever happened in almost 40 years. At what point does the parent take any amount of responsibility? Jesus Christ.

akira28

Gotta say if my kid jumped into the gorilla exhibit I wouldn't be thinking "oh that little scamp" I would be thinking "I maybe am not the most attentive or assertive parent."

And the gorilla is securely kept in an exhibit with a 15ft barrier around it. There is a fence between the humans and the edge of the exhibit. The difference is that we can communicate to the humans not to jump the fence, do we really need cages for the humans as well?
i'm just asking coz I never learned: how did the kid even get in there?

Kinyou

Responsibility doesn't have to be a 100% thing. I'd say you can blame the parents for not paying enough attention and the zoo for having a pretty lacklustre railing. Individually no horrific mistakes but when they came together it almost got a child killed.

being on the street ain't the same as being in a zoo. are you trying to say that it's okay that the cage wasn't fortified enough to not fit the kid's size?

Both potentially bad situations. Neglectful parenting can have consequences. As I've said, that enclosure was fine for 38 years and people respected it until Saturday. If a guard rail, row of bushes and 15 foot moat aren't enough to get the point across that you shouldn't enter...

DavidDesu

Between this and the guy who was mauled by lions, makes me think that zoos should HAVE BETTER RAILINGS/FENCES FOR THEIR ENCLOSURES.

Or just not have zoos. Put your granny in a zoo, bet she'd like it.

(Serious situation. Let's put you or your family in a zoo. Wasn't too long ago we did that with fellow humans of a different race for some people's amusement).

LEt's just get rid of zoos and actually help all of these animal species flourish for real out in the wild. Eradicate poachers and illegal traders with the same zest we treat terrorists, that might quickly sort it out, so we don't need zoos and to marvel at one of the last few hundred of a species left on planet Earth.

We're pathetic.

knkng

There is a small wire fence and a section of bushes/shrubbery. At the top of the image (see below) you can see the rocks where the gorillas usually sit. Between those rocks and the bushes beyond the fence is the moat, which is usually about 15 to 20 feet deep (this is where the kid is seen in the video). It's a standard setup in a lot of zoos, with the expectation being that people wont just jump down into a gorilla pen.

The kid hopped the fence, wandered through the bushes, and then either climbed or fell down into the exhibit moat.

HAYd27b.png

Both potentially bad situations. Neglectful parenting can have consequences. As I've said, that enclosure was fine for 38 years and people respected it until Saturday. If a guard rail, row of bushes and 15 foot moat aren't enough to get the point across that you shouldn't enter...
and like I said: accidents happen. there was a lesson learned that day for both the mother and the zoo execs. it shouldn't be possible to enter the fortifications; maybe the zoo thought that was the case but they learned the hard way that it was.
There is a small wire fence and a section of bushes/shrubbery. At the top of the image (see below) you can see the rocks where the gorillas usually sit. Between those rocks and the bushes beyond the fence is the moat, which is usually about 15 to 20 feet deep (this is where the kid is seen in the video). It's a standard setup in a lot of zoos, with the expectation being that people wont just jump down into a gorilla pen.

The kid hopped the fence, wandered through the bushes, and then either climbed or fell down into the exhibit moat.

HAYd27b.png
thanks. holy shit...that was a daring kid too. he looked madd young, like not even 10 years old.

it reminds me of the cat shit I posted earlier.

people wanted to hold the family fully responsible for what happened to the kid but I say god forbid, if the dog successfully killed the shit outta the kid, you're saying you would charge the family with murder?

Well to be fair, the gorilla was in his enclosure. The kid ended up in it. Its not like the gorilla was on the loose

The blame can go to both parties here.

Well to be fair, the gorilla was in his enclosure. The kid ended up in it. Its not like the gorilla was on the loose

The blame can go to both parties here.
yeah what I said isn't really relevant, it was just something I got reminded of. But I agree that both parties are partially to blame.
Or just not have zoos. Put your granny in a zoo, bet she'd like it.

(Serious situation. Let's put you or your family in a zoo. Wasn't too long ago we did that with fellow humans of a different race for some people's amusement).

LEt's just get rid of zoos and actually help all of these animal species flourish for real out in the wild. Eradicate poachers and illegal traders with the same zest we treat terrorists, that might quickly sort it out, so we don't need zoos and to marvel at one of the last few hundred of a species left on planet Earth.

We're pathetic.
yeah i'm not too crazy about the notion of zoos in general. I've been to like 2 in my life I think, both when I was a kid. I wouldn't be totally opposed to government ruling that all animals return to their natural habitats.

I think every one whose writing with such a strong command of parenting needs to toss in their parent card for validation.

Kids get away, accidents do occur, this was just a big accident. If a child gets away from their parent at a zoo then it's up to the zoo to make sure a 4-year-old can't easily get into a gorilla pen.

This conversation has been going on for so long you'd think the parents chucked the kid in.

It's a 4-year-old. 3 years ago you're amazed they somehow know what English is.

DavidDesu

random human life?

that kid is someone's son. someone's family. that kid could grow up and work to improve the 9%. of ALL endangered species, if he wanted to. he may not, but the human beings are the only ones who ever even do care about things like this.

I don't see why an innocent unknowing animal working on instinct should be killed because of human failing. Human failing of locking up a primate in the first instance, human failing for letting this situation even arise at all in the second. There's billions of humans here on planet Earth and frankly I don't believe anyone who says they care for all the other humans. You care for your own and not much far beyond that. Otherwise we'd all be hugely into preserving the climate, we'd be literally rushing the Senate/WhiteHouse/Houses of Parliament to force better governance for all of mankind. We'd stop supporting weapons manufacturers who lobby our western governments to make more profits from proliferating incessant war around the globe. (And so on)

You likely care more for your pet dog than you do a random human in Syria for instance, so enough of the high and mighty bullshit. You're a selfish animal like the rest of us, and we are no better, or worse, than the animals. Shame on us for thinking we are. If we do not sort our ways, then Ellie, we really are the last of us.

TLDR; Poor fucking gorilla. I'm ashamed of us.

Christopher

Human life does outweigh anything else, period.

Man...poor Harambe, R.I.P; the big guy didn't deserve to die like that.
I understand why the zoo officials did it, but it's still a pretty crappy thing to do and I'm sure they know they look like cruel assholes for doing it (he was a living breathing feeling creature who- despite his intelligence- could never be truly aware of his actions after all)
On the part of the parent, I really wish people would stop excusing negligence. Accidents happen, but I'm pretty sure most kids are taught not to try and interact with potentially dangerous and strange animals at a pretty early age. At least I was anyways.
And if a kid seems adamant on getting into an enclosure, it might be a really good idea to keep a close eye on him/her/them and hold their hand or something.
What an idiot.

This is the kind of dumb dangerous myopic thinking that'll either drive us all to extinction, ensure a horrible quality of life for all living things (especially us) in the future, or get us wiped out by other sapient beings that we'll inevitably piss off with our undeserved arrogance.
Pick your poison.

knkng

It's a 4-year-old. 3 years ago you're amazed they somehow know what English is.

This is the original post I made that the other person was responding to:

If someone is incapable of identifying what might be dangerous, then they must be supervised. What if that wire fence was on the side of a bridge, and your kid climbs through and falls to his death? Do we still get the "You can't watch your kids all the time!" argument?

I understand that it's difficult to watch over a kid non-stop, but in certain situations it's something that you have to do (or just get a leash).

I don't see why an innocent unknowing animal working on instinct should be killed because of human failing. Human failing of locking up a primate in the first instance, human failing for letting this situation even arise at all in the second. There's billions of humans here on planet Earth and frankly I don't believe anyone who says they care for all the other humans. You care for your own and not much far beyond that. Otherwise we'd all be hugely into preserving the climate, we'd be literally rushing the Senate/WhiteHouse/Houses of Parliament to force better governance for all of mankind. We'd stop supporting weapons manufacturers who lobby our western governments to make more profits from proliferating incessant war around the globe. (And so on)

You likely care more for your pet dog than you do a random human in Syria for instance, so enough of the high and mighty bullshit. You're a selfish animal like the rest of us, and we are no better, or worse, than the animals. Shame on us for thinking we are. If we do not sort our ways, then Ellie, we really are the last of us.

TLDR; Poor fucking gorilla. I'm ashamed of us.
what exactly do you mean when you say "innocent unknowing animal"? technically, all animals are just that, aren't they? until they do something that puts humans in danger. but I guess that depends on what you call an innocent animal.

but this gorilla was considered to be putting the kid in danger. i don't know if you're addressing me specifically but i don't have a dog. i'd like a cat one day, but those animals are domesticated. gorillas are meant to be out in the wild. i agreed with you on that.

as for random people that suffering; i don't have the power to change that. I think about it a lot. a lot of the times i'm having a good time. but i'm also not having a good time a lot of the time but this isn't about me. there are animals suffering and people suffering and the people suffering in my opinion is more important.

tl;dr yes, poor fucking gorilla and yes, we fucked up. this is all a shitty situation. but we needed to get that kid to safety. what you have done?

galdevo

Then we're all going to shit. Because a short-sighted version of this idea is exactly the thinking that is wrecking the world polluting the oceans and screwing up the atmosphere.

If all human life mattered then we'd work out a way to live within the means we've been given, and not clear jungles and over-fish and so on.

This little gorilla accident is sort of emblematic of the thinking. I don't know the endangered status of silver back gorilla males and I don't know whether shooting one was a preventable mistake or not however I *do* know that the attitude that one human life outweighs anything else period means that people WOULD shoot the last surviving member of a species, to save just one human life. And this attitude is how we got down to one last surviving example in the first place, and why the world is 90% humans and pigs with the entire rest of nature squashed down to the fraction that remains.

Those people who place human lives above all would clear a jungle to plant crops rather than have a crop shortage and they would fish out the sea to fill cans full of tuna to keep people employed and feeding the families and would vote for growth over sustainability and to hell with the future.

This is the original post I made that the other person was responding to:

If someone is incapable of identifying what might be dangerous, then they must be supervised. What if that wire fence was on the side of a bridge, and your kid climbs through and falls to his death? Do we still get the "You can't watch your kids all the time!" argument?

I understand that it's difficult to watch over a kid non-stop, but in certain situations it's something that you have to do (or just get a leash).

You would still get that argument. You can only hope your child either 1) doesn't do something stupid when they run off or 2) the environment they're in can help mitigate their stupidity. It's like a child falling down stairs if they get past the barricade: yeah, they got over now I should get a bigger barricade (it will happen again) and tell them not to do it again. Blame the parents all you want but it's the zoo's responsibility to make sure a 4-year-old can't get into the zoo pen.

Then we're all going to shit. Because a short-sighted version of this idea is exactly the thinking that is wrecking the world polluting the oceans and screwing up the atmosphere.

If all human life mattered then we'd work out a way to live within the means we've been given, and not clear jungles and over-fish and so on.

This little gorilla accident is sort of emblematic of the thinking. I don't know the endangered status of silver back gorilla males and I don't know whether shooting one was a preventable mistake or not however I *do* know that the attitude that one human life outweighs anything else period means that people WOULD shoot the last surviving member of a species, to save just one human life. And this attitude is how we got down to one last surviving example in the first place, and why the world is 90% humans and pigs with the entire rest of nature squashed down to the fraction that remains.

Those people who place human lives above all would clear a jungle to plant crops rather than have a crop shortage and they would fish out the sea to fill cans full of tuna to keep people employed and feeding the families and would vote for growth over sustainability and to hell with the future.
it takes a human mind to solve these very problems as well.

MC Safety

The CNN article describes a fence, bushes, and then a moat.

So he climbed over or snuck through a fence, crossed some bushes, and fell into a moat.

"Unfortunately, it was a bad situation where a 4-year-old didn't have the attention of his mother for seconds," she said. "I don't think it was as easy as standing up and falling in. He actually had to climb under something, through some bushes and then into the moat."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/us/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-shot/index.html

Accidents happen, but I'm pretty sure most kids are taught not to try and interact with potentially dangerous and strange animals at a pretty early age. At least I was anyways.
And if a kid seems adamant on getting into an enclosure, it might be a really good idea to keep a close eye on him/her/them and hold their hand or something.
What an idiot.

Lord Almighty.

The CNN article describes a fence, bushes, and then a moat.

So he climbed over or snuck through a fence, crossed some bushes, and fell into a moat.

"Unfortunately, it was a bad situation where a 4-year-old didn't have the attention of his mother for seconds," she said. "I don't think it was as easy as standing up and falling in. He actually had to climb under something, through some bushes and then into the moat."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/us/cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-shot/index.html
thanks, yeah a guy posted above some of the details as well. that's pretty crazy and a daring ass kid. i bet the mother will never take her eyes off of him ever again.

Apparently it takes 7 billion and counting, and they're all too busy making more space for themselves and their food sources to actually get started on how to live cooperatively with nature.
there's lots of things we need to get done which is why we have groups of people dedicated to those causes. doctors. firefighters. governments. everybody needs to look out for their own.

yes, people can be scumbags too. it's the intellect you're gifted with, use it to better mankind or use it to be a monster.

what's your point?

well that's on you. but neither of us are in a position to judge who's right and who's wrong.
Oh for sure. I don't think lesser of anyone who would always put a human life over an animals. I was just pointing out that Christopher's ideology isn't one everyone shares.
If the child was killed, what would you say then? Fuck the parents still? It's a tragedy yes, but where's the empathy for the child? I don't understand.
You can have empathy for a child dying/getting injured but not feel bad for the parents who lost/are responsible for the injured child.

knkng

Blame the parents all you want but it's the zoo's responsibility to make sure a 4-year-old can't get into the zoo pen.

Well, this is where I fundamentally disagree. Most railings, barricades and other safety structures can be easily circumvented. The point shouldn't be to make them "human proof", but simply to indicate the dangerous areas. The person (or guardian) has to be aware. You could just as easily trip over a curb at the zoo and split your head open, but at some point you have to accept negligence.

Also, I think it would be very sad to have to build a giant fence in front of the exhibit for keeping the humans out. The whole point of that style of exhibit is to give the illusion that you are sharing the same space as the gorilla. What an incredible commentary it would be that we have to build cages for the human visitors. :/

(Also, this is a case of like 1 in 40,000,000+ people. The exhibit is fine.)

Oh for sure. I don't think lesser of anyone who would always put a human life over an animals. I was just pointing out that Christopher's ideology isn't one everyone shares.

You can have empathy for a child dying/getting injured but not feel bad for the parents who lost their child.
Do you have kids? My oldest will be 21 this year. There have been tough moments where my kids got hurt, and I've questioned myself; wondered if I had paid more attention to my surroundings, etc., if I could have prevented it. I know how I would feel if my child was lost to some freak accident, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. How could you not feel bad for the parents? That's insanely callous to me.

Do you have kids? My oldest will be 21 this year. There have been tough moments where my kids got hurt, and I've questioned myself; wondered if I had paid more attention to my surroundings, etc., if I could have prevented it. I know how I would feel if my child was lost to some freak accident, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. How could you not feel bad for the parents? That's insanely callous to me.

You're arguing with someone who states that they would save their dog over a child they didn't know.

Takuan

I can't believe anyone doesn't understand how quickly kids that small can slip away. They're little Houdinis.

Easy - they don't have kids. This story is incredibly unfortunate, and you wish the zoo didn't have to resort to killing a magnificent animal, but there's no way they take the risk that child gets torn up for everyone to see.

I still think the parent is responsible (seems like she was caring for several young children, her son included).

what's your point?
You argued me down to a response sentence, then circle back to ask what my point was?

Go back to read the first post I made, it is expressed there, and repeated several times subsequently. Once more. The blind attitude that a risk to a single human life trumps everything else in the world (other than two+ human lives I guess), is what has got us to the messed up place we're all stuck in now, vis a vis, nature and our endless destruction of it. And that is the reason this particular news event has become controversial. The fucking gorilla wouldn't be stuck in a zoo in the first place to be gawped at then shot, if people actually gave a crap about these issues and weighed up human needs versus the needs of the planet we depend on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom