• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

q_q

On the other hand, it could have been left in the wild and simply died due to it being evolutionary unfit. Most animal species cannot compete with humans. They should thank the gods that we also evolved the ability to give a fuck about them in the first place.

Irrelevant to my point, but sure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They should get a fine at least. Doesn't exotic species have tremendous value? The direct cause of her offspring had it killed.

Or maybe the zoo can make sure that there's no gaps for people to fall through. Is that possible?

RPGCrazied

Or maybe the zoo can make sure that there's no gaps for people to fall through. Is that possible?

Yeah, I suggested something like this but bigger:

o.jpg

mckmas8808

Would never had happened if the parent had control over their kid. Period. Again, stop abolishing the parents of their responsibility. You can't kiddy proof the whole world.

So why are you upset about anything that happened here?

Chococat

So you don't want to make sure this doesn't happen again?

If the zoo wants improve the fences. Sure. But the reason they are so low in the first place is because the public complain when they are too high cause they block the view for the kids. To low, they a danger for kids. It a no win situation for the zoo.

Higher fences won't stop parents from not treating a zoo like an amusement parks. Nor does it prevent adults from scaling the fences and jumping in. There is no way to make zoos human proof.

Zoos are like national parks. Common sense and a butt load of sign tell people not to engage with wild animals. There is always going to be a slight bit a danger involved going to one. so it is up to human to know the rule s of safety.

Yet humans continue to break rules- jump into enclosures, get out of their cares, feed animals, and try to pet them all the time. Every single time, the blame zoo or the park and not themselves.

The only way to stop these accidents is to bar the public from zoos all together. As much as I like visiting zoo, for the animals safety, I would be up for that.

So why are you upset about anything that happened here?

Please reread my posts. I express my frustration several times.

The zoo is to blame as much as the parents. The enclosure could be good for 38 years or whatever, until the day tragedy strikes, then it is no longer good. A lot of safety measures are born from good forward thinking, but the vast majority of them come about because of accidents that actually happen. The zoo will revamp that exhibit to make sure it is safer, that's the bottom line. You can cry about stupid humans until you're blue in the face, doesn't change the fact that a 3 year old should not be able to breach a fence in seconds.

Exactly.

Remember the time when people were dieng left and right at work, and people blamed the employees for being negligent rather than the employers for the environment. All of that changed with OSHA, and star safety standards.

So in this case, having insufficient safety standards is ripe for an accident. Now the Zoo must improve it so that it can never happen again. And if it does, they must improve it further.

mckmas8808

And it was fine for 38 years before two parents decided to not keep track of their child.

How do you know that the two parents "decided" not to keep track of their child?

If the zoo wants improve the fences. Sure. But the reason they are so low in the first place is because the public complain when they are too high cause they block the view for the kids. To low, they a danger for kids. It a no win situation for the zoo.

Higher fences won't stop parents from not treating a zoo like an amusement parks. Nor does it prevent adults from scaling the fences and jumping in. There is no way to make zoos human proof.

Zoos are like national parks. Common sense and a butt load of sign tell people not to engage with wild animals. There is always going to be a slight bit a danger involved going to one. so it is up to human to know the rule s of safety.

Yet humans continue to break rules- jump into enclosures, get out of their cares, feed animals, and try to pet them all the time. Every single time, the blame zoo or the park and not themselves.

The only way to stop these accidents is to bar the public from zoos all together. As much as I like visiting zoo, for the animals safety, I would be up for that.

I'm not talking about making them adult proof. I'm talking about making them kid proof. If someone climbs a 6 foot fence, then so be it. Tis life. And you can see through a fence so what's the problem.

Chococat

How do you know that the two parents "decided" not to keep track of their child?

I'm not talking about making them adult proof. I'm talking about making them kid proof. If someone climbs a 6 foot fence, then so be it. Tis life. And you can see through a fence so what's the problem.

I'm not going to repeat information I put into previous posts.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

The only way to stop these accidents is to bar the public from zoos all together. As much as I like visiting zoo, for their own safety, I would be up for that.

I've been so many places where I could easily just hop a small fence to my certain death. There were kids there too.

Grand%20Canyon%20Clouds

Grand Canyon. Looks like a 3' fence. If you're gonna jump over it, you're gonna jump over it. It's your responsibility as a parent to be more aware of your child in these places. That's just what being a parent is. You don't let your kids run on a busy street, just as you don't let them out of your sight* when your visiting a gorilla exhibit that he can possibly get into.

They'll make it harder for kids to get in, but the parents are at fault here.

I can remember, as a kid, my parents scolding me for asking if I could climb up to get a better view.

numble

And it was fine for 38 years before two parents decided to not keep track of their child.
They were going to change the exhibit due to the inadequacies of the current one. It was in the plans all along.

I don't see any evidence that the parents decided to lose track of their child. How did they "decide" that?

Chococat

I've been so many places where I could easily just hop a small fence to my certain death. There were kids there too.

Grand%20Canyon%20Clouds

Grand Canyon. Looks like a 3' fence. If you're gonna jump over it, you're gonna jump over it. It's your responsibility as a parent to be more aware of your child in these places. That's just what being a parent is. You don't let your kids run on a busy street, just as you don't let them out of your site when your visiting a gorilla exhibit that he can possibly get into.

I can remember, as a kid, my parents scolding me for asking if I could climb up to get a better view.

Exactly. Even if you put in higher fence, it parents who often put the children in danger like this. Parents often ignore signage and raise their kids up , on, and over fences to give them a better view.

Nimby

Banned
I was a little shit when I was a kid, I ran from my grandparents in a Wal-mart and an employee had to help them catch me. Shit happens, you may be the most ATTENTIVE parent in the world and your child can still fall into harm's way. And the minute a great parent lets their guard down, they're suddenly the scapegoat. If we knew for sure what the parent(s) were doing to allow their child to fall into the exhibit, then I could make a judgement. Just glad the kid is safe.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind behind people saying the parents were shitty and decided not to watch their kid. By lots of accounts, this shit happened within seconds. What information do the posters here have that the parent was being neglectful? Simply because an accident occurred?

mckmas8808

Grand%20Canyon%20Clouds

Grand Canyon. Looks like a 3' fence. If you're gonna jump over it, you're gonna jump over it. It's your responsibility as a parent to be more aware of your child in these places. That's just what being a parent is. You don't let your kids run on a busy street, just as you don't let them out of your site when your visiting a gorilla exhibit that he can possibly get into.

But why do we have to scold the parents here? Can't it just be an unfortunate situation and just leave it at that?

This has happened 3 times in 30 years in America. Million of kids have went to zoos in that time and nothing like this has happened. It's super rare.

Ray Wonder

Exactly. Even if you put in higher fence, it parents who often put the children in danger like this. Parents often ignore signage and raise their kids up , on, and over fences to give them a better view.

I remember this, being a resident of Pittsburgh. You're right. People are going to be idiots. And this shows that people that can see right through a fence will still go out of their way to look over it.

I was a little shit when I was a kid, I ran from my grandparents in a Wal-mart and an employee had to help them catch me. Shit happens, you may be the most ATTENTIVE parent in the world and your child can still fall into harm's way. And the minute a great parent lets their guard down, they're suddenly the scapegoat. If we knew for sure what the parent(s) were doing to allow their child to fall into the exhibit, then I could make a judgement. Just glad the kid is safe.

Walmart and a gorilla exhibit are different.

Just as Walmart and a busy street are different. Did you make it into a busy street without your guardian noticing? If you did that's their fault. If I was watching my nieces or nephews and one got hit by a car when they were 4 I would take full responsibility. Rightfully.

Chococat

I'm still trying to wrap my mind behind people saying the parents were shitty and decided not to watch their kid. By lots of accounts, this shit happened within seconds. What information do the posters here have that the parent was being neglectful? Simply because an accident occurred?

Tony and Melisa Bruce, of Delhi Township, were among the zoo visitors who stopped by the makeshift memorial Sunday afternoon.

“Parents just aren’t paying attention to what’s going on,” said Tony Bruce. He said he’d seen a parent encourage a child to climb up a post at the cheetah exhibit earlier that day.

-----

"I was taking a pic of the female gorilla, when my eldest son yells, "what is he doing? " I looked down, and to my surprise, there was a small child that had apparently, literally "flopped" over the railing, where there was then about 3 feet of ground that the child quickly crawled through! ! I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, "Whose kid is this? " None of us actually thought he'd go over the nearly 15 foot drop, but he was crawling so fast through the bushes before myself or husband could grab him, he went over! The crowed got a little frantic and the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn't see him crawling through the bushes! She said "He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!" As she could find him nowhere, she looks to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, "Sir, is he wearing green shorts? " My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way."

In the moments before he fell, a witness heard the boy tell his mother he wanted to jump in with the gorillas,

Ray Wonder

But why do we have to scold the parents here? Can't it just be an unfortunate situation and just leave it at that?

This has happened 3 times in 30 years in America. Million of kids have went to zoos in that time and nothing like this has happened. It's super rare.

I'm not scolding anyone. I'm holding them responsible. They're at fault for what happened. Just like any other time a parent has ever let their guard down and let a kid get hurt in a preventable way. Just because it's easy for a kid to get away from you sometimes doesn't mean you're not responsible when they do.

I've seen plenty of young children that don't go running off. Maybe if your child is prone to running away and climbing over things, don't take them to the zoo until they learn not to do that. Or use one of the many products designed for this exact demographic.

leash.jpg

Tony and Melisa Bruce, of Delhi Township, were among the zoo visitors who stopped by the makeshift memorial Sunday afternoon.

“Parents just aren’t paying attention to what’s going on,” said Tony Bruce. He said he’d seen a parent encourage a child to climb up a post at the cheetah exhibit earlier that day.

-----

"I was taking a pic of the female gorilla, when my eldest son yells, "what is he doing? " I looked down, and to my surprise, there was a small child that had apparently, literally "flopped" over the railing, where there was then about 3 feet of ground that the child quickly crawled through! ! I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, "Whose kid is this? " None of us actually thought he'd go over the nearly 15 foot drop, but he was crawling so fast through the bushes before myself or husband could grab him, he went over! The crowed got a little frantic and the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn't see him crawling through the bushes! She said "He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!" As she could find him nowhere, she looks to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, "Sir, is he wearing green shorts? " My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way."

In the moments before he fell, a witness heard the boy tell his mother he wanted to jump in with the gorillas,
How does that dispute that everything happened within literally seconds? Should her child be taken away from her? Do you think she egged the child on? Lifted him in the railing? Or is her only crime losing sight for the seconds it took for a toddler to fall over a railing? How does a toddler even get over the railing that quickly on his own? Do you think it's safe simply because nothing like it happened before?

I've seen plenty of young children that don't go running off. Maybe if your child is prone to running away and climbing over things, don't take them to the zoo until they learn not to do that. Or use one of the many products designed for this exact demographic.

https://ahmongwoman.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/leash.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

What if your child isn't prone to run off and this one random thing just happens to happen? We don't know this child's history or temperament at all.

mckmas8808

Just as Walmart and a busy street are different. Did you make it into a busy street without your guardian noticing? If you did that's their fault. If I was watching my nieces or nephews and one got hit by a car when they were 4 I would take full responsibility. Rightfully.

But would you go to jail if this happened?

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Ok but what about saving either Baby Hitler who has done no wrong yet but is probably going to grow up to be a giant asshole no matter how much you hug him and tell him his painting is good vs your dog that happens to sniff out cancer while it's still treatable?

Now what if Baby Hitler can be science educated and it turns out he is actually a genius and you know for a fact that he has a 22.5% chance of outright curing cancer if you raise him right, but that there is also a 22.02% chance that he will make a virus that racially purifies the human race to his standards vs the same cancer sniffing dog except it's not your dog?

Chococat

How does that dispute that everything happened within literally seconds? Should her child be taken away from her? Do you think she egged the child on? Lifted him in the railing? Or is her only crime losing sight for the seconds it took for a toddler to fall over a railing? How does a toddler even get over the railing that quickly on his own? Do you think it's safe simply because nothing like it happened before?

What if your child isn't prone to run off and this one random thing just happens to happen? We don't know this child's history or temperament at all.

What kind of parent teaches their child it is okay to climb up on fences (at the cheetah barrier)? It right there in the articles I quoted.

It should have been no shock to anyone when the kid said "I want to go into the gorilla area" and then proceed to climb the fence to get in. The parents actively taught him it was okay to climb fences at zoos. We know the child's temperament cause the child himself expressed his desire to the parents and they ignored him.

And yes, child protective services should visit these parents for counseling at the very least. A fine paid to the zoo to reimburse them for the loss of the gorilla and a public apology would be nice.

Obviously they don't understand how to supervise a child in a public area. You don't let them climb fence, no matter how short. They are there for a reason. And if a kid says they want to do something dangerous like this kid did, give them and immediate time out to explain and educate the kid why he can't do that. You don't take your eyes off him until he understands. If he throws a fit, you remove him from the area until he is under control.

mckmas8808

I remember this, being a resident of Pittsburgh. You're right. People are going to be idiots. And this shows that people that can see right through a fence will still go out of their way to look over it.

Walmart and a gorilla exhibit are different.

-----

So going by this the parent wasn't some "stupid, none caring loser parent" as some people made it out to be.

What kind of parent teaches their child it is okay to climb up on fences (at the cheetah barrier)? It right there in the articles I quoted.

It should have been no shock to anyone when the kid said "I want to go into the gorilla area" and then proceed to climb the fence to get in. The parents actively taught him it was okay to climb fences at zoos. We know the child's temperament cause the child himself expressed his desire to the parents and they ignored him.

And yes, child protective services should visit these parents for counseling at the very least. A fine paid to the zoo to reimburse them for the loss of the gorilla and a public apology would be nice.

Obviously they don't understand how to supervise a child in a public area. You don't let them climb fence, no matter how short. They are there for a reason. And if a kid says they want to do something dangerous like this kid did, give them and immediate time out to explain and educate the kid why he can't do that. You don't take your eyes off him until he understands. If he throws a fit, you remove him from the area until he is under control.

A paid fine? You sure the kid "ACTUALLY" said that? Or are we going to take that person at their word and make the parents pay say $25,000 in a fine?

Obviously they don't understand how to supervise a child in a public area. You don't let them climb fence, no matter how short. They are there for a reason. And if a kid says they want to do something dangerous like this kid did, you take an immediate time out to explain and educate the kid why he can't do that. You don't take your eyes off him until he understands. If he throws a fit, you remove him from the area until he is under control.
According to that article the person said he had seen a parent encourage a kid to climb that cheetah fence. NOT THE PARENT AND KID INVOLVED IN THE GORILLA INCIDENT. Surely you understand the person was just speaking generally about shitty parents he had seen at the zoo that day. NOT SPECIFICALLY THE PARENT AND CHILD INVOLVED IN THE GORILLA INCIDENT.

Chococat

So going by this the parent wasn't some "stupid, none caring loser parent" as some people made it out to be.

Any parent who encourages their child to climb fence are stupid. Any parent who ignores their kid when they say- I wanna go in with the gorilla is stupid.

Ray Wonder

I agree, except I don't see where anyone says it was these specific parents that told their kid to climb the Cheetah exhibit fence.

Dunlop

Any parent who encourages their child to climb fence are stupid. Any parent who ignores their kid when they say- I wanna go in with the gorilla is stupid.

When did she encourage him?

A witness named Deidre Lykins described what she saw and heard in a long post on Facebook, which has been shared nearly 43,000 times:

"The mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation!" Lykins wrote.

Brakke

Banned

You're way off here. The parents in question didn't teach or encourage their child to climb, you're misreading.

Chococat

When did she encourage him?

When she failed to stop the child immediately after he said he wanted to go in. Any rational person would know stop and tell the child, no you can't go into the gorilla pen. It is dangerous.

Can someone prove me with a quote where the parents told the kids no?

You're way off here. The parents in question didn't teach or encourage their child to climb, you're misreading.

A quick glance at the article made it seem like it was the same exact parents. A reread prove your right.

I can't believe people were debating whether to save the gorilla or the child. Unbelievable. I love animals and I'm sad to see this animal's life end tragically over an accident but this is a no brainer. I also hate how people are quick to shame the parents. Kids are slippery as fuck. It only takes on split second for things to go awry.

SummitAve

Banned
I hope the picture was worth it... That's at least one hand she could have been holding onto her child with. It was an unfortunate event that is totally preventable with both the zoo and parents responsible to some extent.

Ray Wonder

I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, "Whose kid is this? "

"The mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation!"

These two don't line up for me. How do you know if she was negligent if you didn't even know which person was the mother until after?

ElFly

It probably happened too quick for them to notice brah.

Possible sequence of events:

-kid yells "I am gonna climb the fence!"

-parent says "noo!"

-kid walks away from fence because he had started to climb already

-parent relaxes and looks away

-kid climbs anyway

It could easily happen to you.

You are also conflating the parent who encouraged to climb the cheetah exhibition with this one. There's nothing saying they are the same parents, so they are irrelevant.

aliengmr

When she failed to stop the child immediately after he said he wanted to go in. Any rational person would know stop and tell the child, no you can't go into the gorilla pen. It is dangerous.

Can someone prove me with a quote where the parents told the kids no?

A quick glance at the article made it seem like it was the same exact parents. A reread prove your right.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ohio-zoo-closes-gorilla-exhibit-now-boy-falls-39459778

Witness Kim O'Connor said she heard the boy say he wanted to get in the water with the gorillas. She said the boy's mother was with several other young children.

"The mother's like, 'No, you're not. No, you're not,'" O'Connor told WLWT-TV.

mckmas8808

I hope the picture was worth it... That's at least one hand she could have been holding onto her child with. It was an unfortunate event that is totally preventable with both the zoo and parents responsible to some extent.

All it takes is 5 seconds. 5 second slip up in 18 years and we are still blaming the parent?

ElFly

Difference is I would blame myself for what happened and apologize to the zoo for losing track of the kid. I would not absolve myself of my responsibility.

That makes absolutely no difference cause you would still have indirectly killed a gorilla.

ElFly

Chocorat showing some goddamn exemplary hindsight parenting right here guys.

Did she remove him from the area? Everyone knows kids to take no for an answer. You have to explain why and restrain them until they understand. Or remove them from the area. Did either parent do that?

Maybe the kid normally took a no for an answer.

Chococat

That makes absolutely no difference cause you would still have indirectly killed a gorilla.

Hence why I would take responsibility for my own actions. Cause the kid could have gotten hurt/killed and the gorilla died. I would not pass it off as "accident happen"/ "you can't blame me cause parenting is tough".

Anyways, I am out.

Ray Wonder

It probably happened too quick for them to notice brah.

Possible sequence of events:

-kid yells "I am gonna climb the fence!"

-parent says "noo!"

-kid walks away from fence because he had started to climb already

-parent relaxes and looks away

-kid climbs anyway

It could easily happen to you.

You are also conflating the parent who encouraged to climb the cheetah exhibition with this one. There's nothing saying they are the same parents, so they are irrelevant.

If it happened to me, it's my fault.

It doesn't matter what happened. No stranger came and threw the kid in, so it's the parents' fault. It's extremely simple, and I'm having a hard time understanding how people aren't grasping that. Parenting comes with responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom