• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifEndz

The preservation of human life is a mindset that destroys more than it creates. All life is precious and should have been treated as such. Zoo personal, the hand that feeds, should have went in there and got the boy. If the hand that's feeds was too scared to go in there, that is not an animal that should have been in a zoo.

All life is precious, but not all life is equal. And if this "hand that feeds" standard of yours was ever adopted than you can say goodbye to zoos and all the good works they do (conservation, education, research, etc) as the major attractions at all zoos are the ones where the hand that feeds would be too scared to go in the enclosure in this scenario.

Slacker

Yea, it's called an accident. It happens all of the time when people get in car crashes that kill people. It doesn't matter whether she is a negligent parent or a great parent. It could have been 2 seconds or a half of a second. She's the guardian and is responsible.

Do you not see any culpability for the zoo at all? Don't parents have a reasonable expectation that if they let go of their child's hand for a few seconds the kid won't be able to launch himself into a gorilla pit?

Its sadly not surprising that people value the life of a black child less than an animal. As a black guy, I'm extremely curious if all the blow back against the kid and parents would've been the same if he was white. I'm have a funny feeling that more people would make excuses for the mom.I wonder what the kid will think when he grows older and sees all the people that wished he died instead of the gorilla. I wish there was another way, but ultimately, a child is more important.

Slacker

Its sadly not surprising that people value the life of a black child less than an animal. As a black guy, I'm extremely curious if all the blow back against the kid and parents would've been the same if he was white. I'm have a funny feeling that more people would make excuses for the mom.I wonder what the kid will think when he grows older and sees all the people that wished he died instead of the gorilla. I wish there was another way, but ultimately, a child is more important.

I don't know, people get pretty worked up when animals are involved with stories like this (as evidenced by some unbelievable comments in this thread). I have a feeling the reaction would be somewhat similar had the boy been white.

Now, digging up the father's criminal record, I have no idea what the hell that's about.

UFO

Banned

Oh my God, really? You really think this is a race issue?

LifEndz

38 years and no incidents before this one

What's your point? There are plenty of measures, structures, systems that went many years without an incident until something castrophic or near catastrophic happened that made people realize a change was necessary. What's changed in 38 years for this zoo? Has the population of that city increased? Is the customer demographic of that zoos patrons different than it was 38 years ago? Are there more children in this zoo? Is this exhibit more crowded with more people press closed together trying to view the gorillas than it was 38 years ago? Maybe something more than a wish high wire fence is neccessary.

Keep in mind this is the only thing stopping kids from doing this....

HAYd27b.png

You are fucking kidding me, right?

Every person in here that has seen that fence and is blaming anyone but the zoo itself is a complete moron.

If it were up to me, all the animals except rescues would be out in their wild habitats, but I'm thinking you haven't been to zoos in other parts of the world.. The US standards are already unnecessarily high, probably because if anything happened the zoo would be in fear of getting sued.

I was surprised by how much closer you could get to the animals when I went to zoos in Japan and Thailand (but Thailand doesn't give a fuck). It's probably understood in those countries that you don't climb into an animal enclosure.

Edit: not the zoos fault, but sure, nothing wrong with new security measures. The viewing area should be as discrete as possible so not to stress the animals anymore than they already are.

Velcro Fly

Whenever someone is in the limelight they dig up shit about them.

Take that dentist that shot the lion. They did way more than dig up his past. They were giving out the address to his dental office and even were fucking showing it on TV. And he was a rich white dude.

Animal cases bring out the worst in people and it really isn't race related.

Slacker

Take that dentist that shot the lion. They did way more than dig up his past. They were giving out the address to his dental office and even were fucking showing it on TV. And he was a rich white dude.

I agree that animal cases bring out the worst in people, but I'm not sure looking up his publicly available business address is doing "way more" than digging into someone's criminal record.

blakep267

2 different things. Looking up his business address isn't the same as going back 20 years and looking at his criminal records and posting a news article about it. You can google where his office is. Come on now. There was no reason to dig into his past. As if it somehow was gonna reveal a secret. They did it to vilify him

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-racism-found-cincinnati-zoo-saga-article-1.2655860

This has happened before and the identities were never revealed

Cipherr

Get out.

Early in this thread I expressed being upset that nothing happens to the parents in these cases as well before knowing anything about the races and I'm suntanned Wesley Snipes in the shade, DAAAAHHKNESSSS levels of Black.

Has fuck all to do with that. My response at that time was based on not knowing that apparently the exhibit was not very well sealed; Expecting that the child would have needed prolonged time alone to manage to get inside the exhibit. But apparently that wasn't the case. I was wrong but my initial view had nothing to do with race. These sort of events have happened plenty over the past few years.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I didn't even know the child was black when watching the video. Fucking ridiculous post. Use your head. This has nothing to do with race.

It's really really hard not to see a race component in aspects of this backlash when news outlets are going as far as to dig up the past criminal record or the kid's father, who wasn't even there.

BamfMeat

I'm not arguing for the kid to have been killed, but I legit didn't even notice the little boy was black.

I do think if he had handlers that had handled him almost daily for 2 years, they should have tried to go in and talked to the animal rather than just outright shoot it. I admit it could have gone multiple ways, but the gorilla didn't look like it was going to hurt the kid, more like he was trying to protect it. If he'd been throwing the kid all around against rocks and shit that'd have been a different story, but he wasn't. He was standing over him like he was trying to protect him from all the yelling.

When he pulled him over to the back end of the moat, it looked like he was trying to hide him. I mean, FFS right after he drags him through the water, he helps the little kid stand up. He never, at any time, seems to be holding him so tight he was going to hurt him, just the opposite, he seemed to be trying to be kind of gentle.

It's just a sad, shitty situation all around :(

I'm not arguing for the kid to have been killed, but I legit didn't even notice the little boy was black.

I do think if he had handlers that had handled him almost daily for 2 years, they should have tried to go in and talked to the animal rather than just outright shoot it. I admit it could have gone multiple ways, but the gorilla didn't look like it was going to hurt the kid, more like he was trying to protect it. If he'd been throwing the kid all around against rocks and shit that'd have been a different story, but he wasn't. He was standing over him like he was trying to protect him from all the yelling.

When he pulled him over to the back end of the moat, it looked like he was trying to hide him. I mean, FFS right after he drags him through the water, he helps the little kid stand up. He never, at any time, seems to be holding him so tight he was going to hurt him, just the opposite, he seemed to be trying to be kind of gentle.

Those are risks that aren't worth taking. Are you realizing how absurdly strong Gorillas are and how squishy and killable a child is in comparison. It was a situation with way too many variable and trying to read the intentions of an animal when a child is in an actively dangerous situation is exposing the child to unnecessary risk.

aliengmr

Who is "they" in this case?

Cleveland police.

Here's the problem, a gorilla doing anything could potentially kill the child. It wouldn't take much. They only needed to look at him to know this was some serious shit. They tried to get him out, but he wouldn't leave.

Also, are you for real with the bolded?

I feel like if it were a white child people would be more supportive of the mother.

And it is never suprising to me that Black life is valued less than the life of an animal to many people. Likely the same people who still want to lynch Michael Vick after nearly 10 years and all he's done since to atone for his wrongdoing.

entremet

Of course.

Popular yet rare incidents like these have people clamoring for exotic and fictional fast acting tranquilizers, a zoo security detail rivaling the Secret Service, cruel litigation such as recommending the parents getting sued, and other unrealistic recommendations.

It's ridiculous. These events just don't happen frequently to justify such poor decision making.

It was a freak and tragic accident. Sometimes those happen!

Cipherr

It's really really hard not to see a race component in aspects of this backlash when news outlets are going as far as to dig up the past criminal record or the kid's father, who wasn't even there.

Yeah now THAT is suspect as fuck. I didn't hear about that.. Jesus Christ, how the fuck is that even relevant.

2 different things. Looking up his business address isn't the same as going back 20 years and looking at his criminal records and posting a news article about it. You can google where his office is. Come on now. There was no reason to dig into his past. As if it somehow was gonna reveal a secret. They did it to vilify him

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-racism-found-cincinnati-zoo-saga-article-1.2655860

This has happened before and the identities were never revealed
Well, shit.

That article really puts things in perspective.
I didn't even know the child was black when watching the video. Fucking ridiculous post. Use your head. This has nothing to do with race.
Except he's right. His post is not ridiculous. And you're absolutely wrong about the backlash being generated here not having anything to do with race. Some of y'all just need to accept that race really does determine the response many people will have to events like this in such a highly racialized society. I don't think a hit piece on the boy's father would've been published otherwise. And I doubt you do either.
Same here. What little I did watch of the video I didn't even notice the color of its skin.
Freudian slip?

Now, digging up the father's criminal record, I have no idea what the hell that's about.
Yeah I heard that later and thought "what does that have to do with anything?"
Granted my opinion of the mom is not great but her hooking up with a jerk means nothing in the situation.

akira28

I'm sure those of us from Cinci who've been to the zoo can tell you; Cincinnati zoo has a lot of bad enclosures. Many of them are not very secure. They have low fences and moats. Early this year iirc, a polar bear escaped its enclosure.

are you sure he wasn't just out on work release? Did they even ask for ID or did they just start shooting?

Jesus internet, there doesn't need to be outrage and consequences for every little thing that happens. Internet witch hunts need to fucking stop. Shit happens, move on.

BamfMeat

Those are risks that aren't worth taking. Are you realizing how absurdly strong Gorillas are and how squishy and killable a child is in comparison. It was a situation with way too many variable and trying to read the intentions of an animal when a child is in an actively dangerous situation is exposing the child to unnecessary risk.

Leaving the moat open the way it was, was an unnecessary risk. But like I said, them trying could have gone multiple ways, some bad, some not so bad. I think defaulting to "shoot and kill", *while understandable*, I still think there could have been other options. Maybe instead of shooting to kill from now on, they might use this as a way to do disaster recovery for next time there's a potential "worst possible situation". Tranqs aren't going to do the job, so how about stunguns handy? How about SOME way of neutralizing him, rather than killing him.

Here's the problem, a gorilla doing anything could potentially kill the child. It wouldn't take much. They only needed to look at him to know this was some serious shit. They tried to get him out, but he wouldn't leave.

Also, are you for real with the bolded?

Abso-fucking-lutely. And before you go "you can't reason with a gorilla!", they did try to talk to him. You said it yourself, they tried to get him out. They tried to get him out multiple ways, too. So chill with the "are you for real?" Yes, there was a fucking endangered animal on the line - I would have hoped they'd have tried to actually handle him before they just shot him. Turns out, they did and I'm just now reading it. Also, we don't know how he would have responded to his actual handlers, since, you know, they didn't approach him. He could have come to them had they gone in personally, we don't know, and we never will know.

Except he's right. His post is not ridiculous. And you're absolutely wrong about the backlash being generated here not having anything to do with race. Some of y'all just need to accept that race really does determine the response many people will have to events like this in such a highly racialized society. I don't think a hit piece on the boy's father would've been published otherwise. And I doubt you do either.

Seeing what their doing with the dad, I'm inclined to believe you. Just because I didn't notice the kids race doesn't mean no one else did - and I can definitely see how racism could fuel a lot of that BS.

Yeah I heard that later and thought "what does that have to do with anything?"
Granted my opinion of the mom is not great but her hooking up with a jerk means nothing in the situation.

See, this is exactly what that piece digging up the father's criminal past is meant to do. Paint a picture that puts this black family in the worst light possible. Because as of right now in his life, as noted in this article

Buried deep in the story was the fact that he is gainfully employed and appeared to be a loving father from the myriad of photos found on him.

It's designed to feed this mental image of some hood family, with some mom with a bunch of kids, and some absentee criminal father that can't even keep an eye on their kid. That's the impression that'll shared around on facebook thousands of times, when there simply isn't enough information to try to reach any of those conclusions.

Leaving the moat open the way it was, was an unnecessary risk. But like I said, them trying could have gone multiple ways, some bad, some not so bad. I think defaulting to "shoot and kill", *while understandable*, I still think there could have been other options. Maybe instead of shooting to kill from now on, they might use this as a way to do disaster recovery for next time there's a potential "worst possible situation". Tranqs aren't going to do the job, so how about stunguns handy? How about SOME way of neutralizing him, rather than killing him.

Abso-fucking-lutely. And before you go "you can't reason with a gorilla!", they did try to talk to him. You said it yourself, they tried to get him out. They tried to get him out multiple ways, too. So chill with the "are you for real?" Yes, there was a fucking endangered animal on the line - I would have hoped they'd have tried to actually handle him before they just shot him. Turns out, they did and I'm just now reading it. Also, we don't know how he would have responded to his actual handlers, since, you know, they didn't approach him. He could have come to them had they gone in personally, we don't know, and we never will know.
How do you imagine you can stun gun a gorilla? Like... I'm trying to wrap my mind around the thought process that makes you think that's even possible. Those things have a lot of mass and insane muscle density. You are seriously, seriously underestimating the amount of damage a gorilla could do with any uncontrolled or unexpected movement.

RPGCrazied

Build a higher fence that nobody can climb, fine the mom something for the loss of their Gorilla and be done with it. Leave the family alone and move on.

-They used their call designed to bring the animals in, he didn't listen.
-The handlers never physically interact with the gorilla, they are always separated by a barrier. They can't exactly walk in and reason with it. "Going in personally" isn't a thing that happens, ever.
-The gorilla has immense strength and handlers who have worked with gorillas for years have said that there was no way to accurately predict his behavior.

The weird post-hoc fantasies of "just tranquilize or stun it, just talk to the gorilla and things will work out fine" are bizarre. The zookeepers knew what they were doing.

styl3s

I was a little shit when I was a kid, I ran from my grandparents in a Wal-mart and an employee had to help them catch me. Shit happens, you may be the most ATTENTIVE parent in the world and your child can still fall into harm's way. And the minute a great parent lets their guard down, they're suddenly the scapegoat. If we knew for sure what the parent(s) were doing to allow their child to fall into the exhibit, then I could make a judgement. Just glad the kid is safe.
You can tell who doesn't have kids and it's the people who jump to blame parents in every single situation that involves a kid doing something he shouldn't do and like i said in another thread about this is issue is go to your parents and ask them what kind of stupid dumb shit you did as a kid because you will be amazed. Your kids do stupid shit and all it takes is a blink of an eye for a kid to bolt off and do something and that has absolutely nothing to do with parenting, kids are habitually curious and when you have a kid you will learn this.

As for the fence is it too costly to just do some sort of plexiglass wall or something if higher fences block views?

blakep267

Build a higher fence that nobody can climb, fine the mom something for the loss of their Gorilla and be done with it. Leave the family alone and move on.
You can't fine somebody for accidentally falling into a zoo exhibit. If the zoo sues, they'd lose because first off they'd have to prove that she was negligent, then it's also on them to have ample ways to not allow somebody into the enclosure.

mrkgoo

You can tell who doesn't have kids and it's the people who jump to blame parents in every single situation that involves a kid doing something he shouldn't do and like i said in another thread about this is issue is go to your parents and ask them what kind of stupid dumb shit you did as a kid because you will be amazed. Your kids do stupid shit and all it takes is a blink of an eye for a kid to bolt off and do something and that has absolutely nothing to do with parenting, kids are habitually curious and when you have a kid you will learn this.

As for the fence is it too costly to just do some sort of plexiglass wall or something if higher fences block views?

I challenge every person critical of parents to always be 100% attentive of their own kids, and never make any mistakes.

Here's the thing - as a parent you can only do your best. Sometimes it's not enough and can end in something unfortunate. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. Of course it's not an excuse or out to be negligent, but it's a tough job, and an important one with possibly dire consequences if you screw up. And screw ups happen. you're constantly weighing up a series of possibly bad decisions and judgements.

Here's something I found kind of frustrating as a parent, is that YOU cop the blame and fault for EVERY thing they do that's bad. Conversely though, if they do something good, you NEVER get praise for doing them well - it's always "oh clever baby!".

But, you know, that's the way it is with being parents. You just hope to do your best and that those times when it isn't good enough that it doesn't end too badly. Ultimately you are their guardian and you are responsible for them even if not to fully be blamed.

You can't have shitty fencing for the zoo then expect each and every parent to have absolutely 100% perfect uptime each and every day.

It stands to reason that once in a blue moon a child is goin to try to enter an enclosure. The zoo should have it set up so no one can enter it especially children. That's their responsibility. And the onus is on them since they're running the zoo.

With that said I promise you all each and every one of you had a parent or guardian that lost sight of you once. At some point. It sucks that this point was at a zoo where a parent should be in hyper vigilant mode.

But the zoo has the far greater responsibility to make sure no one can enter the enclosure.

Personally I'm not taking multiple kids anywhere. I have one kid and she'd be holding my hand the entire time.

RPGCrazied

They did see the drop. It's already been reported the kid went in as he told his mother he wanted to go in the water.

"But, but, but... they say crazy stuff all the time!" If I had a kid, and was at the zoo with 3 other kids, if I heard that from one of them, he would get into the stroller or holding his hand the entire stay.

shira

For the gorilla area or the zoo in general?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/us/gorilla-shot-harambe/index.html said:
The March 2016 report documented an incident in which two polar bears got into a service hallway that was to be accessible only to zookeepers. The dangerous animal response team was able to quickly secure the area and use tranquillizer darts to subdue the bears.
Thane Maynard, the director of the Cincinnati Zoo, noted a zookeeper lost her arm in the incident.

I can see why they didn't want to take chances this time

Regginator

this incident only has losers. the parents and especially kid are probably scarred for life, gorilla is dead, and the zoo has their image shit on (especially seeing those little ass fences).

all things considered it could have ended worse. i'd put the life of a human being above a gorilla any day of the week. still, most unfortunate.

brian577

Banned
I feel like if it were a white child people would be more supportive of the mother.

And it is never suprising to me that Black life is valued less than the life of an animal to many people. Likely the same people who still want to lynch Michael Vick after nearly 10 years and all he's done since to atone for his wrongdoing.

Fuck that shit. I didn't even know he was black and I still blamed the mother. A parents job is to watch their spawn. They need to learn be responsible and not expect other people to their parenting for them.

GhaleonEB

You can't have shitty fencing for the zoo then expect each and every parent to have absolutely 100% perfect uptime each and every day.

It stands to reason that once in a blue moon a child is goin to try to enter an enclosure. The zoo should have it set up so no one can enter it especially children. That's their responsibility. And the onus is on them since they're running the zoo.

With that said I promise you all each and every one of you had a parent or guardian that lost sight of you once. At some point. It sucks that this point was at a zoo where a parent should be in hyper vigilant mode.

But the zoo has the far greater responsibility to make sure no one can enter the enclosure.

Personally I'm not taking multiple kids anywhere. I have one kid and she'd be holding my hand the entire time.
I agree that parents should not be expected to be at "100% perfect uptime each and ever day". That's not a reasonable standard.

But at the zoo? In front of a major open air exhibit? You're on uptime. If there's a single moment to be totally in control of where you kids are, it's there. As you noted, if you can't pay full attention to your kid at times like that, don't bring them.

Regginator

I agree that parents should not be expected to be at "100% perfect uptime each and ever day". That's not a reasonable standard.

But at the zoo? In front of a major open air exhibit? You're on uptime. If there's a single moment to be totally in control of where you kids are, it's there. As you noted, if you can't pay full attention to your kid at times like that, don't bring them.

agreed, the parents aren't blameless, far from it. but all things considered i'm okay with how it went down, i'd put a human being above a gorilla no doubt.

BioHazard

Holy shit, I can't believe this is still a hot topic. What do people want for closure? The mother's toenails pulled off with pliers filmed live on CSPAN? Like what will satisfy you people? No one can empathize with the mother for losing track of her child for a 10 second window that it takes to climb over/under/through a 3 foot fence? These are probably the same people that say "helicopter parenting" is ruining the current generations of children.

Holy shit, I can't believe this is still a hot topic. What do people want for closure? The mother's toenails pulled off with pliers filmed live on CSPAN? Like what will satisfy you people? No one can empathize with the mother for losing track of her child for a 10 second window that it takes to climb over/under/through a 3 foot fence? These are probably the same people that say "helicopter parenting" is ruining the current generations of children.

I think most people would be satisfied with her just admitting she was at least partly responsible for what happened and maybe just acknowledge the fact that her inattentiveness cost an animal its life.

Instead she thanked god for saving her son and claimed she was a good parent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom