• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Angst

Angst said:
No race for me on Sunday unfortunately. If anyone else wants to organize something that's cool. Next Sunday will be all about Spa and Prius RM :p Spa definitely, we'll see about what car, probably one of the touring cars.
For the new page. Either you guys just meet at the regular time and goof off, or someone organizes something.

ashk

Goofing off is pretty fun, especially with this much people.

@thepatriots (don't know your GAF name) - I took a look at our Daytona crash and you definitely hit me first, which made me turn to the left, nearly spin and in the process hit you. After you hit me you kind of jerked away from me, so it was probably some lag at an unfortunate moment while racing closely. I know that after the race I said I probably turned early, that's obviously not true due to where the incident happened, but I said that because I wasn't completely sure of what happened. Actually I was sure until you said I hit you first :p I'm probably going on about this too much, but I wanted to make myself clear, as I always try to race as clean as possible and obviously you do as well.

Toxa

Some pics

529283DeepForestRaceway.jpg

886996DeepForestRaceway1.jpg

167578DeepForestRaceway2.jpg

621106DeepForestRaceway3.jpg

246244DeepForestRaceway4.jpg

538636DeepForestRaceway5.jpg

Day of Thunder at Indianapolis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibTN7K93HAc

896549SuperspeedwayIndianapolis.jpg

599189SuperspeedwayIndianapolis2.jpg

985450SuperspeedwayIndianapolis3.jpg

742380SuperspeedwayIndianapolis4.jpg

475148SuperspeedwayIndianapolis5.jpg

471417SuperspeedwayIndianapolis6.jpg

925156SuperspeedwayIndianapolis7.jpg

500182TrialMountainCircuit.jpg

243084TrialMountainCircuit1.jpg

469448TrialMountainCircuit2.jpg

738450TrialMountainCircuit3.jpg

963800TrialMountainCircuit4.jpg

paskowitz

ashk said:
Goofing off is pretty fun, especially with this much people.

@thepatriots (don't know your GAF name) - I took a look at our Daytona crash and you definitely hit me first, which made me turn to the left, nearly spin and in the process hit you. After you hit me you kind of jerked away from me, so it was probably some lag at an unfortunate moment while racing closely. I know that after the race I said I probably turned early, that's obviously not true due to where the incident happened, but I said that because I wasn't completely sure of what happened. Actually I was sure until you said I hit you first :p I'm probably going on about this too much, but I wanted to make myself clear, as I always try to race as clean as possible and obviously you do as well.

Well, my bad then. Probably lag... I was confused because we were just tapping each other, racing clean for like 3-4 laps and then boom! :( I will drive the Fiat 500 around the Nurburging as punishment....

ank8qv.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:

t1318791600z0.png

Allowed car :

Clio Renault Sport v6 24v '00

Tuning allowed:

NONE

Tyre Selection

Sports Soft

Track:

Tsukuba Circuit

Laps:

30 (tentatively)

Pit Stops:

No mandatory pit stops

Damage

Heavy

Assists

ABS

Players Participating (12 / 16):

01 - MikeDub
02 - Xun
03 - Dibbz
04 - Gynoug79
05 - Niks
06 - weekend_warrior
07 - paskowitz
08 - Risk Breaker
09 - magawolaz
10 - ashk
11 - Dash Kappei
12 - Ainaurdur
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start

Lounge:

Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

----------------------------------HOUSEKEEPING------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would step up to the challenge (and fail miserably). Anyway, not sure about tyre choice, sports soft are a bit more cagey in the opening laps but the racing softs really give a nice super in control feel but we will do whatever the majority want. Really want it to be a touring car like race feel so we should be fine rubbin' and racin' with heavy damage because the track is so short.

The lounge needs to be reset for some reason, I couldn't access it earlier today, so, get on that Angst. I might also need the GT5NRL login if I need to add people unless Angst or MM can take care of that.

Finally, any of this is up for debate, just thought I would put something out there if people want to race this weekend.

Angst

MikeDub said:
No, I was kinda banking on the fact he wouldn't notice.
Lol, good luck with that! :D

Good initiative, just go for it. I expect you can sign up Dibbz, he's banned so he can't sign up himself.

Next week will be back to the usual - as in I organize things :)

SPA!

Xun

Do any of you guys use headsets? I've got a Bluetooth headset I've never tried out with the PS3 so I may try and give it a go sometime.

Angst

Xun said:
Do any of you guys use headsets? I've got a Bluetooth headset I've never tried out with the PS3 so I may try and give it a go sometime.
I'm thinking of doing the Spa race next Sunday with voice chat enabled.

Gynoug79

Sign me up please !

@Xun: yes got one using it but mostly in smaller lobbies. Most of the headset do pickup a lot of background noise so this can get pretty annoying in bigger lobbies...children crying, dogs barking and wifes shouting... I would still prefer using a headset for the gaf races.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Your turn Angst! Lol, sorry for the crossposts guys I hope it didn't bother you too much! Maybe I can delete my posts afterwards.
Trying to get a hang on how the different leagues work! I'd really, really love to be able to participate but again, I don't want to spoil the fun for anybody.

I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) is the OP uodated? For example, is voice chat still not required? If it isn't, is voice chat on during races as well or only in the lobby (I think races should be smoother without voice chat)?

2) I'd need to do a lag test with you guys before committing to a league. My problem is not bandwith related, with 7Mbps I'm all set I think, but with latency. I'd join from Italy and on wifi plus my connection's smoothness' dependable on the time of the day (traffic). I find that it also depends a lot on the game's netcode (not talking about inherently bad ones): to name a few cases, online play is perfect on Motorstorm Apocalypse and Mario Kart Wii, good for Killzone 3 and MW2 but awful (most of the times) with Forza 3's matchmaking system (although at the time I was on a 3.5Mbps line). Far from me wanting to ruin your races (and not have fun myself), I'd love to have a go at online racing with the bunch of you first and then you guys could let me know how it went and if I'm allowed to join the league or not.

Is there a way we could arrange this? :)

Btw, my PSN profile is dashkap.

Niks

Sing me up!
I will most likely make it for this.

Haven't been able to test run spec 2.0 yet.. but reading the spec 2.0 comments, it seems it was good.

Angst, are we doing Spa with one of the new cars also?

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Your turn Angst! Lol, sorry for the crossposts guys I hope it didn't bother you too much! Maybe I can delete my posts afterwards.
Trying to get a hang on how the different leagues work! I'd really, really love to be able to participate but again, I don't want to spoil the fun for anybody.

I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) is the OP uodated? For example, is voice chat still not required? If it isn't, is voice chat on during races as well or only in the lobby (I think races should be smoother without voice chat)?

2) I'd need to do a lag test with you guys before committing to a league. My problem is not bandwith related, with 7Mbps I'm all set I think, but with latency. I'd join from Italy and on wifi plus my connection's smoothness' dependable on the time of the day (traffic). I find that it also depends a lot on the game's netcode (not talking about inherently bad ones): to name a few cases, online play is perfect on Motorstorm Apocalypse and Mario Kart Wii, good for Killzone 3 and MW2 but awful (most of the times) with Forza 3's matchmaking system (although at the time I was on a 3.5Mbps line). Far from me wanting to ruin your races (and not have fun myself), I'd love to have a go at online racing with the bunch of you first and then you guys could let me know how it went and if I'm allowed to join the league or not.

Is there a way we could arrange this? :)

Btw, my PSN profile is dashkap.
Way ahead of you :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31748687&postcount=1231

Voice chat - I definitely won't enable it tonight in the public lounge as that will be what gynoug said x 1000. All those randoms non-gaffers that sneak in tend to have their headset next to their hungry baby / angry wife for some reason :D
Niks said:
Sing me up!
Angst, are we doing Spa with one of the new cars also?

You need to talk to Gynoug about singing. ;)
And yeah, it will be with one of the new cars. I'm forcing you to give money to Kaz.

Xun

Angst said:
I'm thinking of doing the Spa race next Sunday with voice chat enabled.
Gynoug79 said:
yes got one using it but mostly in smaller lobbies. Most of the headset do pickup a lot of background noise so this can get pretty annoying in bigger lobbies...children crying, dogs barking and wifes shouting... I would still prefer using a headset for the gaf races.
I'll try and get it working soon, would make communication a lot easier.

Also is anyone up for a race tonight perhaps?

ashk

Sign me up for the Clio race as well.

The races tonight were great, especially the Nurburgring ones. We should do these kinds of things more often though, I'd even prefer doing this 2 or 3 times a week than just one race on a weekend.

ashk said:

The races tonight were great, especially the Nurburgring ones. We should do these kinds of things more often though, I'd even prefer doing this 2 or 3 times a week than just one race on a weekend.

Maybe we can move these 'one off' races to midweek once the 2nd GT500 season starts?

f0rk

ashk said:
I hate you guys

Angst

ashk said:

How do you guys feel about having randoms able to join? Personally I felt that there were some good, clean drivers and quite a few mental cases...

Toxa

Angst said:
Sounds good to me, but it pretty much excludes the US guys. Hmm, let me think about it.

So don't join every race? ;)

I like the random race party like yesterday or tonight but only twice per week max

Dash Kappei

Mike, the countdown png isn't working for me (access restricted to this domain... Wat!), when's the Clio race?
I'd like to sign up, provided I don't lag of course

Toxa

the Sub race at Nuburgring was great.

the first few kilometers were chaotic but later the battle between Goldrusher, Ashk and Myself was awesome

29958024hduNrburgring25.jpg

94596324hduNrburgring26.jpg

31785824hduNrburgring27.jpg

38595124hduNrburgring28.jpg

I cry for niks behind me

11904124hduNrburgring29.jpg

80504724hduNrburgring30.jpg

54436624hduNrburgring31.jpg

ashk

Yeah, the Subaru race was definitely the highlight of the evening for me.

About randoms joining, yeah, it's a bit of a coin toss. I've been knocked about quite a bit in the first few corners, but I've noticed that I don't mind it as much since there's always someone to race and the result of one race doesn't matter that much. So I'd say we keep the randoms until we become too bitter :p Also, the negative is that if we get a full room any gaffer wanting to join later on wouldn't be able to.

f0rk

ashk said:
Also, the negative is that if we get a full room any gaffer wanting to join later on wouldn't be able to.
Or you all pussy out when a gaffer realises something is actually happening!

f0rk said:
Or you all pussy out when a gaffer realises something is actually happening!
What seems to be the problem f0rk? I'm getting some negative vibes with a hint of disappointment. Sign up for Sunday, good times guananteed!

@Dash time is 7pm GMT for quali and race, lounge open upto an hour before.

Angst

MikeDub said:
What seems to be the problem f0rk? I'm getting some negative vibes with a hint of disappointment. Sign up for Sunday, good times guananteed!

f0rk joined the lounge 10 seconds after we decided to call it a night. LTTP :)

Dash Kappei

MikeDub said:

Great :)
I meant what *day* btw, but now I know it's this Sunday

Ainaurdur

I think I'd like to try to make it to the Clio race on Sunday.

Bought a new red one because the black I happened to have was irreversibly over-tuned. I will be practicing over the next several days because I realized I am not always very nice to the AI drivers, a bit too aggressive. Heh. Need to clean up my lines. Even if it means getting 16th place!

Angst

Ainaurdur said:
I think I'd like to try to make it to the Clio race on Sunday.

Bought a new red one because the black I happened to have was irreversibly over-tuned. I will be practicing over the next several days because I realized I am not always very nice to the AI drivers, a bit too aggressive. Heh. Need to clean up my lines. Even if it means getting 16th place!
Cool, you're welcome. Send a FR to GT5NRL as soon as possible so you can participate.

Ainaurdur

Angst said:
Cool, you're welcome. Send a FR to GT5NRL as soon as possible so you can participate.
Took care of that yesterday, MM got me in that last round of requests. I just confirmed it on the PSN website since I am at work right now. My PSN ID is Celethalion if you were curious.

I thought about creating a new ID to match my GAF name, but decided against fragmenting all of my game progress and various purchases in that way. Why Sony doesn't allow you to change the ID name on an account... who knows.

ashk

Don't worry about your PSN ID, most people's is different as well. After a few races you'll probably remember who is who.

Top Bottom