• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

andshrew

If I'm not too late I'd like to join in the Clio race tonight. I've only added the GT5NRL account today so the invite is still pending.

andshrew said:
If I'm not too late I'd like to join in the Clio race tonight. I've only added the GT5NRL account today so the invite is still pending.

If MM or angst can get on an verify then that would be great, if not then just add my PSN (in profile) and join from there.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Mike I can just get in thru the GT5NRL's coffe cup, right?
I'll def try to be there for the race even if family is making it a bit more difficult than I'd like.

Regarding the lag thing, we never tried that in the end so I guess I'll race and hopefully for sunday evenings my ISP isn't traffic clogged but if it's bad I'll drop out myself otherwise if I'm the one bothering you guys just kick me out (hopefully not, lol, but understandable just in case).

I HATE Tsubuka tho :(

Edited: I noticed there's a world of difference whenever a room has voice chat enabled it is much worse, tho I dunno if that was just bad luck with the hosts

Yeah, the coffee cup is way in. I will have the lounge up at the top of the hour folks can join, I wont be around until 30-45mins after though.

Dash Kappei

MikeDub said:
Yeah, the coffee cup is way in. I will have the lounge up at the top of the hour folks can join, I wont be around until 30-45mins after though.
No prob.
Anyway, as I was saying, will voice chat be enabled? I noticed there's a world of difference whenever a room has voice chat enabled it is a much less smooth experience, tho I dunno if that was just bad luck with the hosts

Dash Kappei said:
No prob.
Anyway, as I was saying, will voice chat be enabled? I noticed there's a world of difference whenever a room has voice chat enabled it is a much less smooth experience, tho I dunno if that was just bad luck with the hosts

no voice

Niks

MikeDub said:
ank8qv.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.

Race starts in:

t1318791600z0.png

Allowed car :

Clio Renault Sport v6 24v '00

Tuning allowed:

NONE

Tyre Selection

Sports Soft

Track:

Tsukuba Circuit

Laps:

30 (tentatively)

Pit Stops:

No mandatory pit stops

Damage

Heavy

Assists

ABS

Players Participating (12 / 16):

01 - MikeDub
02 - Xun
03 - Dibbz
04 - Gynoug79
05 - Niks
06 - weekend_warrior
07 - paskowitz
08 - Risk Breaker
09 - magawolaz
10 - ashk
11 - Dash Kappei
12 - Ainaurdur
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 20.00 CET
Lounge reset - 20.55 CET
Qualifications start - 21.00 CET
Race start 21.15 CET

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start

Lounge:

Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Requoting.

So to get things clear, we are going to race with the clio as it is out of the dealership?
No oil change no nothing? Or can we buy non HP/PP parts (transmission, suspension etc.)

Angst

Sorry to bring bad news. You Need the NRL account on your FL to be able to join. Having the other guys only helps if you have the NRL account as well.

Paging MM as I'm not at my PS3 currently.

Dash Kappei

Sorry guys, can't finish. I was literally driving with one arm and arguing with the other, I've spun two times 'cause of that... Still 5th but I've gotta free the tv.
Fuck my fiancee, soo pissed. I think I'm leaving her.
SORRY

Dash Kappei

Tsubuka is really boring tho. Very difficult to have a nice fight. i had a false start so I was last and then and I watched the clusterfuck happening behind the enemy lines on corner #1 and #4 and just passed a bunch :p

I'm really happy with the fact that I haven't suffered lag at all despite the majority of you guys being from the US.

Great battle between Niks and ThePatriot, it looked like they were never more then about 2 inches apart from each other. Volcanux get in the way a little too much though, he actually almost spun Niks out once by undercutting him in a corner. When the leaders are battling like that you really need to show respect and get out of the way.

Xun

Toxa said:
volcanux killed the race .... :(
How did I kill the race? :/

Also I deeply deeply apologise to the two leaders, I hope you can accept my apology. I did make sure not to get in your way the next time you guys overlapped me.

I hope there's no hard feelings.

Dash Kappei

Let's not overreact, as long as we're not careless jerks it should be all good :)

Once again, I love how smooth the race was, best lag-free experience I've had on GT5 online!
Now I know I can take part in GAF races myself, yay

Niks

Great race overall. One make races are always interesting.

Started from pole but cooked the first 2 turns due to cold tires and Patriot took this chance to snatch first place from me. The rest of the race was very even, and while I was faster I felt I couldn't make a passing move without risking damage. Patriot held his ground and didnt make any big mistakes.

Xun, no hard feelings but you were being lapped dude, there was no need to make it soo hard for us to pass you (specially since there was an ongoing fight for first place) and once we pass you, you divebomb into me at turn one....

Again, no hard feelings but next time be more careful.

Its great to see new faces, hopefully we will have more attendees next week at SPA
:)

PD: Thanks WW for giving us room. :)

Two quick pics form the race.

AW8VW.jpg

UlDjo.jpg

Angst

Niks said:
Its great to see new faces, hopefully we will have more attendees next week at SPA
Good to hear you guys had a good race in my absence :)

As you say next Sunday will be all about Spa Francorchamp. Apparently only the host need to buy the track, so if someone is low on funds, this will be a good day to test it.

I will also do a public lobby on Tuesday at ~19.00 CET. Spa, new kart track, new cars and Kazmobile is to be expected.

Toxa

Xun said:
How did I kill the race? :/

Also I deeply deeply apologise to the two leaders, I hope you can accept my apology. I did make sure not to get in your way the next time you guys overlapped me.

I hope there's no hard feelings.

you interfere during the battle between niks and paskowitz by blocking them for some reason ... and Niks has sustained damages, it's unacceptable.

he had to rethink his strategy and altered the course of the race
Fortunately he managed to catch up paskowitz.

don't take it personally, but such things should not happen.
next time be careful ;)

also special credtis to weekend_warrior and paskowits who managed to hold off niks ;)

Angst

Toxa said:
next time be careful ;)
This I agree with :)

A notice to everyone - set your map zoom at 2 or 3, allowing you to see other cars in your vicinity. Personally I use map zoom 3, which gives me both total awareness of cars around me and a bit in front and behind (especially behind as I tend to look forward :p)

paskowitz

Niks said:
Great race overall. One make races are always interesting.

Started from pole but cooked the first 2 turns due to cold tires and Patriot took this chance to snatch first place from me. The rest of the race was very even, and while I was faster I felt I couldn't make a passing move without risking damage. Patriot held his ground and didnt make any big mistakes.

Xun, no hard feelings but you were being lapped dude, there was no need to make it soo hard for us to pass you (specially since there was an ongoing fight for first place) and once we pass you, you divebomb into me at turn one....

Two quick pics form the race.

Great racing with you Niks. I think we only touched 3-4 times. I do not know if you noticed but my brakes were flickering on the straights. My G25 is messed up and sometimes does that. This slowed me down a bit.

What I found interesting is that certain corners I was a little quicker, and certain corners you were a little quicker. Overall you were a tick quicker. Turns 1 and 2 are the passing corners. You have to out brake the other person and claim the inside, forcing them to take the outside, which is always slower on Tsukuba. When you do this you have to be ahead by the apex of the corner otherwise your opponent will just close the door.

Another tactic is to position yourself just a little off the ideal line before corner entry and then go back on the line just as you enter. This forces your opponent to not only enter on the inside of the corner, but to enter further than they would like, almost guaranteeing they will be slower through the corner. As long as you take that stance the whole way to the corner and only make one move, the one back to the racing line, it is perfectly legal. It is a very defensive tactic and on a simple track like Tsukuba, works very well.

Very good race. I look forward to Spa.

Toxa

Angst said:
Good to hear you guys had a good race in my absence :)

As you say next Sunday will be all about Spa Francorchamp. Apparently only the host need to buy the track, so if someone is low on funds, this will be a good day to test it.

I will also do a public lobby on Tuesday at ~19.00 CET. Spa, new kart track, new cars and Kazmobile is to be expected.

can't wait

circuit_12_Belgique_Spa_Francorchamps.png

Angst said:
New RX7 for Spa or LMP cars?

great :)

Had a great battle with Gynoug79 throughout the whole race with the only issue being my bumping on the 2nd to last turn one lap but I think we both escaped damage. We traded places plenty of times thanks to great racing and mistakes from both of us :p Loved the mid race mind games with the tyre change, I went 4 laps longer than I planned but wanted to see how long Gynoug79 would go. Luckily for me he made a bigger mistake one corner and so I took the opportunity to get in ahead of him and that was pretty much it.

Watched the Niks & Patriot battle too and that was some quality racing but yeah, Xun really should have just let them pass. Not only did it cost the leaders for nearly 2 laps but Weekend_Warrior (i think) also caught him up and he was directly competing with Xun. As we said though, just be more careful and don't take it personally, you should have seen some of our first GT500 races :lol

Glad people enjoyed the event, wish we had more people though :( I hope Angst doesn't go anywhere soon because I feel much more comfortable in his capable hands :D

andshrew

MikeDub said:
Glad people enjoyed the event, wish we had more people though :(

I had a lot of fun so thanks for organising this. :)

Although a stupid spin on the second lap mean't I spent most of the race on my own. Looking forward to some Spa.

paskowitz

Angst said:

Neither. I did a late night race with 570pp super cars (SLS, GT, LFA, 458, etc) and I bet if you took the the PP to something like 550-560 (and no tuning) it would be a very close race. Spa is such an amazing track it deserves amazing cars. Maybe for the Sunday race.

For Tuesday, LMP is ok but certain cars (Minolta) are obviously faster, so some PP limiting may be needed. RX7 is a little meh for Spa. Needs something faster, but LMP may be a bit too fast.

If you want to do some testing let me know

Also in regards to Xun. Not a big deal. You live and you learn. Just as a general rule the slower car yields to the outside or off the ideal line. Then once you and the person have your lines, stick to it. The faster car will pass you and you will not waste time and speed backing off or driving erratically because there is another car near you. It is also the responsibility of the faster car to choose the right time to pass, you just have to be aware when they do. This especially applies when you are not fighting for position with anyone near you.

Xun

Toxa said:
you interfere during the battle between niks and paskowitz by blocking them for some reason ... and Niks has sustained damages, it's unacceptable.

he had to rethink his strategy and altered the course of the race
Fortunately he managed to catch up paskowitz.

don't take it personally, but such things should not happen.
next time be careful ;)

also special credtis to weekend_warrior and paskowits who managed to hold off niks ;)
Oh right. I assumed you were in the race, and I somehow knocked you out of the game. That's why I was a bit confused by what you said.

Niks said:

The dive-bombing wasn't intentional, I just got caught up in the heat of the moment stupidly.

I saw cars approaching and by instinct wanted to defend. One stupid move by me and I caused a collision between us. I should've just let you guys pass since you two were in a clear battle and were about to lap me.

Very stupid moves by me and not something I would normally do. So I'm feeling pretty guilty about what happened, believe me.

Ainaurdur

I enjoyed the race, really I did. And then I glanced away from the screen at the wrong time and ended up damaging my car twice. Heh.

I'm also thinking it's past time to give in and buy a wheel. DS3 is fine for the AI, but not cutting it for human competition. I've been looking for an excuse to spend the money to get one anyway. Will I be satisfied with the DFGT or should I really sink for a G27?

paskowitz

Ainaurdur said:
I enjoyed the race, really I did. And then I glanced away from the screen at the wrong time and ended up damaging my car twice. Heh.

I'm also thinking it's past time to give in and buy a wheel. DS3 is fine for the AI, but not cutting it for human competition. I've been looking for an excuse to spend the money to get one anyway. Will I be satisfied with the DFGT or should I really sink for a G27?

I think the Fanatec CSR wheel with CSR pedals, while more expensive, is probably your best bet. I hear its pretty good.

ashk

Angst said:

If you decide on the RX7 you may lock out the people who won't be getting the car DLC. So I'd say we go for LMP cars, we could use the PP settings we used for the Nurburgring GP LMP race we did. Actually I'd probably say LMP cars regardless, I like driving them :p

Dash Kappei

Couple of questions as a noob: I was 5th and pretty much racing alone the whole time, I don't understand where all this people where since I've never been lapped till I had to leave by lap 19 (iirc)... How the hell you guys know how the top cars where fighting each others and all those other details?
2) how do you know when it's time for a tires change and how does it work? Never raced endurance in A-spec, hell I've never even entered the pit once since GT5's launch day :p

Dash Kappei said:
Couple of questions as a noob: I was 5th and pretty much racing alone the whole time, I don't understand where all this people where since I've never been lapped till I had to leave by lap 19 (iirc)... How the hell you guys know how the top cars where fighting each others and all those other details?
2) how do you know when it's time for a tires change and how does it work? Never raced endurance in A-spec, hell I've never even entered the pit once since GT5's launch day :p

Set the radar to min size and you can see all the cars, also I'm guessing they watched the replay afterwards.

As for the tires, the grip indicator is also a bar that depletes as tires get spent.

MikeDub said:
Had a great battle with Gynoug79 throughout the whole race with the only issue being my bumping on the 2nd to last turn one lap but I think we both escaped damage. We traded places plenty of times thanks to great racing and mistakes from both of us :p Loved the mid race mind games with the tyre change, I went 4 laps longer than I planned but wanted to see how long Gynoug79 would go. Luckily for me he made a bigger mistake one corner and so I took the opportunity to get in ahead of him and that was pretty much it.

Watched the Niks & Patriot battle too and that was some quality racing but yeah, Xun really should have just let them pass. Not only did it cost the leaders for nearly 2 laps but Weekend_Warrior (i think) also caught him up and he was directly competing with Xun. As we said though, just be more careful and don't take it personally, you should have seen some of our first GT500 races :lol

Glad people enjoyed the event, wish we had more people though :( I hope Angst doesn't go anywhere soon because I feel much more comfortable in his capable hands :D

Nah, I was never competing for position with anyone, lap 3 or 4 my dog started begging to go out so I paused in the pits and 2 laps later again in the pits to let her in. Kinda sucks because it the time I was 4th or 5th and I felt like I could have competed for that 3rd spot without distractions. That's alright though, I still had fun watching the battle for first, and got to swap paint a few times with Xun and others. What were the final results anyway? Someone should post them.

Looking forward to spa next week. :D

Gynoug79

MikeDub said:
Luckily for me he made a bigger mistake one corner and so I took the opportunity to get in ahead of him and that was pretty much it.

Yeah we took it too far and as mentioned in the lobby my tyres went over the cliff...snaped on me into the left hander u turn and threw me into the gravel. Thanks for hosting and the great battle realy enjoyed it - so praise allaround for ontrack and offtrack action !!!

paskowitz

Dash Kappei said:

This is my rule. Be aware of your average lap time (for me it was in the low 1:04 range). Look at your tire wear indicator in the bottom left, are they near 50-60%? Then look at your current lap times. Once I had 3 laps at 1:05 I knew I had to pit. So as a general rule if you are starting to go over a second or more off your average lap, its time to pit.

You also need to be aware of where the car behind and in front of you is for position and when they have pitted. Using all this information you can pit at the best possible time.

Angst

paskowitz said:
This is my rule. Be aware of your average lap time (for me it was in the low 1:04 range). Look at your tire wear indicator in the bottom left, are they near 50-60%? Then look at your current lap times. Once I had 3 laps at 1:05 I knew I had to pit. So as a general rule if you are starting to go over a second or more off your average lap, its time to pit.

You also need to be aware of where the car behind and in front of you is for position and when they have pitted. Using all this information you can pit at the best possible time.
You also need to figure how much is left of the race. If you start losing 1-2 seconds per lap but only have a couple of laps left the best strategy might be to stay out on the track. You can't use the lap time calculations on the ring though as you risk hitting the cliff in the middle of a lap, thus dropping 30+ seconds.

Regarding car(s) for the Spa event I'm a bit torn. I agree with paz that we want a pretty fast car. LMP cars are awesome, but they do demand a lot from us drivers - I don't want this to turn into a crashfest. Same thing with the Formula GT / X1. I'll think about it today and make a post later tonight.

Niks

Angst said:
Regarding car(s) for the Spa event I'm a bit torn. I agree with paz that we want a pretty fast car. LMP cars are awesome, but they do demand a lot from us drivers - I don't want this to turn into a crashfest. Same thing with the Formula GT / X1. I'll think about it today and make a post later tonight.
Exactly my thoughts, angst.

Mayb the ZR1 RM? Or maybe a road car but fully tuned?

Anyways we could do some testing tomorrow.

Xun

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way for all drivers to use the same car even if they don't own the car?

The Ferrari F1 cars would be superb on the circuit if we were going for a 1-type race. They handle much better than the Formula GT cars.

Top Bottom