• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FUCK! Who has the GAF truck? I can't seem to get one to appear in the used car lot. FFFFFFFFFF.

Firewire

Banned
Does anyone know if the new mechanical damage for online carries over from race to race? Also if I damage my car online it doesn't carry over to the SP does it?

TheSeks

Firewire said:
Does anyone know if the new mechanical damage for online carries over from race to race? Also if I damage my car online it doesn't carry over to the SP does it?

No. Change track it resets. But it does carry over on same track from race-to-race.

No. Online only.

ElyrionX

Am I the only one who experiences massive difficulties driving stock FR cars? From the MX5 to the M3 and now the ZR1. My B Spec guy can win the American championship in Professional but I can't seem to do it myself in A Spec because the ZR1 keeps spinning out when I'm just a little careless with the throttle. My settings are TC 5 and ABS 1 with everything else off. Any tips?

Rflagg

ElyrionX said:
Am I the only one who experiences massive difficulties driving stock FR cars? From the MX5 to the M3 and now the ZR1. My B Spec guy can win the American championship in Professional but I can't seem to do it myself in A Spec because the ZR1 keeps spinning out when I'm just a little careless with the throttle. My settings are TC 5 and ABS 1 with everything else off. Any tips?
Aero parts whenever you can, races tires, throttle control.

TheSeks

Firewire said:
Cool, does it cost you credits if you pit for the "hard" damage?

No. It costs nothing.

Damage is only damage. It doesn't save. It doesn't carry over between tracks. It's just... there.

TTG

ElyrionX said:

Don't remember what the American championship is, the other cars aren't stock, maybe a stock ZR1 isn't fast enough? Anyway, leave traction control off. Leave any active steering or skid recovery off too, go to the practice section. Pick a track you like and practice until you feel you got a good time in. Basically, you want to learn how to apply throttle out of a turn so that it's not always on-off-on. You want to learn to anticipate when you're gonna lose traction and really get on top of it rather than reacting. Drive until you know how much room you need to recover when the rear end comes out so you don't panic and go into survival mode, but just treat it like a normal occurence. There are gonna be a lot of FR cars, more powerful and harder to drive in the future. You don't want to stick with the boring 4wd forever. :D

ElyrionX

Rflagg said:
Aero parts whenever you can, races tires, throttle control.

Thanks for that but what I'm wondering is whether anyone else has the same issues as I? Is it my poor driving style or my lack of skill that causes me to suck with FR cars?

ElyrionX said:

Better tires? I use a DS3 with no assists on and have no trouble controlling my 800hp ZR-1. When it's at 900 it's a bit more difficult, but I usually keep it at 800 when I'm driving it. Make sure you short shift through the first 3 or 4 gears, and you should never have the throttle wide open in the first 2 gears. Play with the suspension too. Giving it some camber in the back helps with traction. And downforce too. Lots of downforce.

h3ro

ElyrionX said:
Thanks for that but what I'm wondering is whether anyone else has the same issues as I? Is it my poor driving style or my lack of skill that causes me to suck with FR cars?

Do all your braking in a straight line on the way into a corner, letting momentum take you through it and be gentle on the way out to avoid excessive wheel spin.

I'll echo the aero/downforce adjustment comment as well. Also, you might want to tune your set up more towards understeer if you're losing the back end a lot.

elohel

can the shelby cobra be upgraded/lightened enough to participate/win the vintage race thing? under expert or w/e

Celcius

°Temp. member
What cars did you guys use in the historic race series in b-spec mode (expert)? That's the one event where I said I'd just come back to later.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ElyrionX said:
People need to shut the fuck up about bikes. Its a DRIVING simulator ffs and its got enough problems for PD to clean up as it is so we certainly don't need any of the devs attention shifting to shitty bikes.
A bit late but I agree. I rather drive the Nurburg in my VW bus then mess around with bikes.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
FUCK! Who has the GAF truck? I can't seem to get one to appear in the used car lot. FFFFFFFFFF.

Do the liscences and you'll be given a truck. I think it's IA liscence that gives it if I remember right.

-viper-

Banned
Why are the high powered cars so hard to drive where as the low powered cars are so easy to drive?

I spin out all the time with the XJ13 chromeline. But I couldn't spin out with the Lupo GTI Cup car even if I tried. I managed to complete a FULL CLEAN lap at the Nurbguring with the wheel and that car. But with the XJ13, I spin out at most corners. It's driving me nuts.

I fucking suck at controlling high powered cars with the wheels with all assists off :(

Even TC does nothing. I look at the graph on the bottom left. A tyre just goes red and I end up sliding off. The wheel gives me no forewarning that I'm about to lose control. I spontaneously happen to lose control. It's fucking annoying.

dwebo

These questions + truck need to be put in the FAQ :lol

elohel said:
can the shelby cobra be upgraded/lightened enough to participate/win the vintage race thing? under expert or w/e
Yes, but you gotta be willing to muscle your way to the front before the faster cars get there, and then block off overtake attempts.

celcius said:
What cars did you guys use in the historic race series in b-spec mode (expert)? That's the one event where I said I'd just come back to later.
Reward from b-spec Like the Wind.

commedieu

Banned
-viper- said:
Why are the high powered cars so hard to drive where as the low powered cars are so easy to drive?

I spin out all the time with the XJ13 chromeline. But I couldn't spin out with the Lupo GTI Cup car even if I tried. I managed to complete a FULL CLEAN lap at the Nurbguring with the wheel and that car. But with the XJ13, I spin out at most corners. It's driving me nuts.

I fucking suck at controlling high powered cars with the wheels with all assists off :(

Even TC does nothing. I look at the graph on the bottom left. A tyre just goes red and I end up sliding off. The wheel gives me no forewarning that I'm about to lose control. I spontaneously happen to lose control. It's fucking annoying.

Only floor it in straights.. feather it for turns.. if that... learn how far you can throttle in turns versus turning w/o throttling..

maybe that will help?

Special Event Grand Tour Eiger GOLD!! .... 1:16.742. So much restarting, almost gave in. All gold until I unlock extreme :D

Now, back to actually progressing.

elohel

dwebo said:
These questions + truck need to be put in the FAQ :lol

Yes, but you gotta be willing to muscle your way to the front before the faster cars get there, and then block off overtake attempts.

any cars you recommend for the race? know where i can get em? lol

not sure if i want to or am able to just fend people off lol

dwebo

elohel said:
any cars you recommend for the race? know where i can get em? lol

not sure if i want to or am able to just fend people off lol
Cobra really is your best bet, since the Chaparrals and the Toyota 7 that are the fastest cars in that race are really expensive in the used dealership (think I saw a 7 for 4-5m, and a 2J for 15m :lol), and the premium classic race cars are 20m. Otherwise you'll have to do b-spec up to an extreme event, an a-spec endurance race, or get lucky with a random ticket to get something better.

Just keep one eye on your rear view and it's not so bad.

Dementia

AAAARGh the Formula Gran Turismo finally showed up in the used car dealer and it costs 4.8 million credits... i'm 900k credits shy. Fuck this shitty used car structure, it'll probably take another 20 hours of gameplay before it decides to reappear.

In other news, I also hate Nascar. They are terrible antiquated pieces of machinery designed to race around an impossibly dull track.

expy said:
B-Spec is so relaxing....
When your driver is competent.
My guy was six seconds in the lead during the final lap. So I thought he was cool. Go to check on my son sleeping...

He loses by 12 seconds...

UFRA

Najaf said:
Thanks. I hate the bumper cam though. Too bad. I pretty much want to use it for carts.

G-Force is shown in all views. Cockpit, Roof, etc.. The HUD can't be enabled/disabled and always shows the same stuff, just in different ways.

TheSeks

Ranger X said:
Do the liscences and you'll be given a truck. I think it's IA liscence that gives it if I remember right.

Waste five+ hours on a controller for shitty license tests versus waste an hour doing the A/B-spec truck tests.

Yeah...

nope.avi.mp3.png.dll.exe

Dementia said:
In other news, I also hate Nascar. They are terrible antiquated pieces of machinery designed to race around an impossibly dull track.

But Jeff Gordon told me that they're totally modern and high-tech, on par with Formula 1 cars! Just a bit more ... heavy.

Top Bottom