• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

UFRA

Niks said:
quick question, how do I redeem the gamestop codes for the mclaren F1?

Just like any other code. Go to the PS Store, then at the top select Redeem Code. You can also do this in Account Management in the XMB. It will then unlock the item in your download list and you can get it there.

UFRA

expy said:
B-Spec is so relaxing....
When your driver is competent.

:lol Yeah, I finally hit the sweet spot with my drivers. I've been goofing around on my PC and checking the forums the past couple hours while I literally do nothing for my B-Spec driver.

I just finished an entire championship, and all I had to do was click "start race" on each track. My driver took the lead and stayed there all on his own. I even forgot about him a few times and he still had a 30 second lead on 2nd place. :D Thanks SLS AMG Stealth!

I figured you were in B-Spec since you're playing the game, but are here on the forums too. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Niks said:
quick question, how do I redeem the gamestop codes for the mclaren F1?

PSN store. Or Account Management->Redeem Code.

brotkasten said:
Just did the Ferrari cup at A-Spec pro with my new Italia 458. Only thing I changed were the tires (soft sports) and it was cool. The handling was nice, but not so uber extremely awesome, as I hoped (I blame you guys for the hype! :p). Thank God I was fast enough in the corners, the Enzo smoked me on the straight.

My second race with the Italia (still stock performance with soft sports) was the first supercar cup in the Pro series.
Holy shit, the High Speed Ring feels so much better backwards, it's like a new track. Really awesome. It was also the first time I raced against a Veyron and ... well, 'lol' at this tank. 8s+ behind me, it wasn't dangerous at all. The Nardò Concept however surprised me. I love this car and 'hate' PD for not making it premium, but the performance is still pretty good. Thanks to my shitty cornering in the second sector, it was only 2 seconds behind me. I loved to see it in my read mirror, though. <3

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/vw_nardo.jpg

Ugh, second race in that cup. Three rounds on Daytona. I hope it's okay to say that I FUCKING HATE this AI.

I'm on the first place, second round, there's the long ass straight, I see this Lambo in my rear mirror and I'm like "Well, it's going to overtake me. Do it, I get you in the corners", but nooooo! Instead the Lambo is like "lol, surprise buttsex!" and bumps me few times. What the hell?

mrklaw said:
I'm basically stuck in B-spec now :/ I can only assume the comments about the american championship in extreme being an easy grind were for a-spec, along with 'like the wind' and the gt all-stars, because a fully tuned ZR1-RM is not having any of it. European championship is easy pickings but the American one they're all driving bloody Chaparrals and Ford Mark IVs again, its the historic cup all over.

Can't do the formula GT as I don't have enough money to buy the car, can't do the historic cup because I need at minimum a Toyota race car from 'like the wind', can't win that event as my driver slows down on indy too much.

arse. my a-spec is down at about level 18, it'll take ages to get the like the wind car that way.

Anyone fancy donating a toyota race car, or chaparral or something that'll handle these events? Need to be pokey to let my driver drive past. Can't get by on driver skill alone as they are just too scared of corners.
I have a 1004 hp Viper if that helps.

TheSeks

DOME ZERO looks so nice in the menus, but looks horrible in actual races. Which is a shame as it's a decent (standard) car for the Japanese Classics in A-spec. Just beat another DOME ZERO by a few seconds on the first track there. Going to have to supe it up for B-Spec, however. :(

Also a shame as in the menu it looks so cool in an "late 70's early 80's 'this-is-what-the-21st-century-will-be' boxy car" way.

LCfiner

sigh, I just spent 150K to do a chassis restoration on my 458. Feels like it made a difference. I was running hot laps around grand valley and comparing the italia to some of my newer cars and the thing just didn’t feel nimble enough.

I took a chance and spent the cash and now my understeer is a bit less pronounced.

Oh, and I think I found some basic settings and rules of thumb to reliably reduce understeer on cars with LSD and the torque sensing center diff on 4WD cars.

specifically, on the LSD, reduce the settings for the acceleration setting from 40 down to 30 or so. that way when you’re hitting the gas coming out of a turn, you won’t go out quite so wide. similarly, you can do the same for deceleration but that’s already set low and if you put it too low, I find it causes instability.

as for the tscd, setting the rear wheels to around 75 or 80% will help the back end kick out a bit and reduce the understeering on those cars. those two changes plus the regular suspension changes (lower ride height, stiffen springs, increase toe out and neg camber) made my 850 hp murcielago much easier for me to drive.

I hate the idea of spending a half million dollars on a fucking chassis repair. Your car had better handle like a dream after that, with that amount of money being thrown on the table.

Just did the GT Tour Toscana track with the Lambo...

HOLYSHIT!

GT5 is now officially my GOTY! That event is more epic then all the GoW3 epic encounters put together.

Metalmurphy said:

HOLYSHIT!

GT5 is now officially my GOTY! That event is more epic then all the GoW3 epic encounters put together.

Bout time! Its been mine for a week, ever since I got in the stock 512 in Rome!

h3ro

Ok folks, I'm about to take the plunge.

Do I go Z06 or ZR1?
I'm going to take the car brand new and RM it, so which way do I go. I value handling above all. Max HP doesn't matter to me.

edit: FFFUUUUU firmware update.

edit 2: FFFFUUUU GT5 update

Metalmurphy said:

HOLYSHIT!

Golding that shit was so intense. Trying to gold the Eiger Grand Tour, pulling my last few hairs out atm.

TheSeks

Yeah, the DOME ZERO is a nice little drive. Too bad the inside of the car was sparse (check a Japanese photo site of it) in addition to never being produced. Shame the standard model is so poor. Because it does look cool.

h3ro said:
Ok folks, I'm about to take the plunge.

Do I go Z06 or ZR1?
I'm going to take the car brand new and RM it, so which way do I go. I value handling above all. Max HP doesn't matter to me.

edit: FFFUUUUU firmware update.

edit 2: FFFFUUUU GT5 update

I'm going with the Z06 when I get to that point.

Buh? Update?

mr_nothin

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

HOLYSHIT!

For me, that event possessed the best feeling of driving in the game. For some reason, the physics/collisions/tire grip/AI felt a step beyond everything else in the game (ESPECIALLY anything in A Spec). The smallest nudge from a car would really affect your traction and would pretty much cause you to lose control. Couple that with the change from evening to night time and all the curves at the end........it's pretty epic. It actually felt like I had to tame all that power the car possessed. It was me "fighting/taming/learning" the car, "fighting" against the track, "fighting" against the AI, and "fighting" against the time of day. Everything came together in that race (for me) and I just wish the rest of the game was like that. They went too easy on us this time around.

Too bad all the A Spec races felt nothing like that...you could pretty much bumper car your way to 1st (with the exception of a few races). AI were of no challenge in A Spec and that's mainly due to most of the races being "unrestricted". Only way it was a challenge was if you gave yourself a set of self imposed rules to go by. And is it me or do you completely dust the pack of cars in front as soon as you past them? You can be battling the first 2 or 3 cars for a lap or 2 and AS SOON as you pass them, you start to lead them by a huge margin. It's like you got some sort of boost when you got in 1st.

Metalmurphy said:

HOLYSHIT!

DAMN YOU MURPHY!!!
Why must you tease me so. This has been my GOTY since I got bronze w/ the Lotus on the top gear challenge. Fu#$ you Stig!!

CozMick

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Is PSN down for anyone else tonight? I am in the UK and I haven't been able to connect for a couple of hours :(

I was online about 10 minutes ago, everything was fine.

turnbuckle

Metalmurphy said:

HOLYSHIT!

Is that the night event when you drive the Lambo and there are fireworks? If so, that's the moment the game really "clicked" for me. I was apprehensive about getting it because I'm not a car guy and never had interest in racing games let alone sim racing, but now I'm a believer. I don't forgive the UI issues, but despite that this is right up there as my GOTY as well. It's really a toss-up between this and the the Show for me as far as console GOTYs go.

expy said:

I've managed to read almost 2 books while doing B-spec mode. I wish the races weren't so long, but it gives me a good excuse to do something semi-productive so I don't feel so bad about sinking 5-6 hours straight into a game.

dwebo

mr_nothin said:
And is it me or do you completely dust the pack of cars in front as soon as you past them? You can be battling the first 2 or 3 cars for a lap or 2 and AS SOON as you pass them, you start to lead them by a huge margin. It's like you got some sort of boost when you got in 1st.
Some of the later events you're lucky if you can lead by more than a second or two. Not only that, but the AI stays (unrealistically?) in one big pack, so if you screw up, you can go from first to last within a few seconds.

Though you're right in the sense it's easier if you can get to 1st, since the AI can't overtake for beans.

Melfice7

expy said:

I have a great one and a retarded one that spins out easily and gets exhausted both physically and mentally :s the great one never even gets exhausted

Melfice7

theignoramus said:
I hate the idea of spending a half million dollars on a fucking chassis repair. Your car had better handle like a dream after that, with that amount of money being thrown on the table.

The chassis repair always cost half of the car's price, the actual effect it has is yet to be known O:

Bobo

Just completed my first endurance event, Grand Valley 300km... Is it wrong that I actually used the event as a test session for my Peugeot 908 LMP... Already looking ahead to the 24hrs events. :D I finished like 9 laps in front of 2nd placed RX7.

The 908 is magical to drive... so much torque, I'm finding that I have to short shift even in 3rd gear. Good fuel consumption and the tyre wear aint too bad, although the car can become unbalanced because there is such low degradation on the front end.

dwebo

Melfice7 said:
The chassis repair always cost half of the car's price, the actual effect it has is yet to be known O:
It maxes out at 500k I think, though that's still ridiculous if you ask me. Screw realism - PD should change it so it scales up to the particular car's max value based on percentage of degradation. Or just get rid of repairs :D

X-Frame

h3ro said:
Anyone else wanna weigh in on Z06 vs ZR1 once both are RM'd?
A lot of people are saying the ZR1 is not worth 2x the cost of the Z06 RM'ed. Plus, the Z06 is cheaper to maintain.

UFRA

dwebo said:
It maxes out at 500k I think, though that's still ridiculous if you ask me. Screw realism - PD should change it so it scales up to the particular car's max value based on percentage of degradation. Or just get rid of repairs :D

I agree with this.

I see 2 other options that would be more "fair":

1. A STANDARDIZED cost for repairing the chassis and engine. Simple. It costs 10,000 to restore an engine, and 20,000 to restore a chassis for ALL cars.

-There's no reason this shouldn't work. Even the tuning shop isn't realistic so why does the chassis repair have to try and be? For example. The tuning shop charges the SAME amount for EVERY item. PD, are you saying it costs the SAME amount to tune the engine of a Ford Focus that it does a McLaren F1? Oh, they BOTH can accept the same 1,500 sport exhaust? Really? Gimme a break. Either stick with one theme of non-realism or go fully realistic.

2. Make the cost for repairing chassis and engine a more acceptable number, such as 10% of the car's cost up to a maximum of 100,000 (so the 20,000,000 cars wouldn't still be ridiculous). Have a 100,000 car? It costs 10,000 to fix it. Simple and acceptable.

As I explained, the fact that the tuning shop is completely unrealistic, and the chassis and engine repair tries to be realistic by making the cost of the repairs depend on your car's value is just BS. It's a real "what were they thinking" moment.

I bet if I totaled up all of the costs to completely restore ALL of my 100+ cars, it would probably be like 10,000,000. Hardly something I would want to spend my money on.

/rant - it's just something that really annoys me. On a postitive note, I love how all of my CE cars and my stealth car only cost 500 for both the engine and chassis repairs. :D

h3ro

X-Frame said:
A lot of people are saying the ZR1 is not worth 2x the cost of the Z06 RM'ed. Plus, the Z06 is cheaper to maintain.

Hmm. Are the weights the same for both once RM'd?

I'm leaning towards the Z06 then since it seems like most have gone that way.

Darkkn

AI seems actually pretty competent when you pit similar speed car against AI in B-spec. It looks like there is actually competition between all AI drivers.

Can't see much evidence of this in A-spec tho :/

dwebo

UFRA said:
I see 2 other options that would be more "fair":
Yeah, both of these would be way better than the current implementation. You should tweet Kaz!

And lol @ the vid. The jankiest thing I've seen in rally stages are cars gliding up to the starting line because of some quirk in the course pathing.

-viper-

Banned
Okay I have a Muira concept and would take any of these cars:
SLS AMG
Mclaren F1
Lexus LFA
Corvette ZR-1 RM (would still accept without RM)

X-Frame

h3ro said:
Hmm. Are the weights the same for both once RM'd?

I'm leaning towards the Z06 then since it seems like most have gone that way.

The Z06 RM weighs 1090 kg. Not sure about the ZR1, so something with it RM'd is going to have to chime in.

Top Bottom