• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

weekend_warrior said:
The Veyron was never meant to be a street legal racecar. It weighs over 4,000lbs. It's meant to be the pinnacle of automotive technology. A showcase of form and function. And it unquestionable succeeds at that.

Eh, I disagree. I think there are several automotive people that could create a faster car if there entire goal was to create a car that could go fast in a straight line. That's really all the Veyron is. It's why I think the F1 is still a much more spectacular car. It's fast in a straight line but you can take it to a race course and it won't feel out of place.

GodofWine

Is there anyway to share 'ghost laps' with friends?

That would be an awsome psuedo-online time battle mode...someone tweet Kaz'z translator to tweet Kaz this.

darkwing

GodofWine said:
Is there anyway to share 'ghost laps' with friends?

That would be an awsome psuedo-online time battle mode...someone tweet Kaz'z translator to tweet Kaz this.

Fersis is the man

What are the best settings for rally? I'm using the DS3 (for now) and rally sucks for me at the moment. Tried tweaking a few things but nothing feels "right" so far. When taking a turn the car comes to a complete halt and when loosening things up it's pretty wild.

SolidSnakex said:
Eh, I disagree. I think there are several automotive people that could create a faster car if there entire goal was to create a car that could go fast in a straight line. That's really all the Veyron is. It's why I think the F1 is still a much more spectacular car. It's fast in a straight line but you can take it to a race course and it won't feel out of place.

That doesn't make any sense. Of course someone could make a faster car, people make cars that go 800mph. That's not the point of the Veyron. The point of the Veyron was to make the most desirable car in the world, achieving the highest top speed in a production car was merely one part of that goal. You don't make an interior that looks like this if all you care about is speed.

JU5l3.jpg

SolidSnakex said:

Yet still the Veyron is at the top of the Top Gear test track too, is that not a race course? ;D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

Greg

ErnieMcCracken said:
What are the best settings for rally? I'm using the DS3 (for now) and rally sucks for me at the moment. Tried tweaking a few things but nothing feels "right" so far. When taking a turn the car comes to a complete halt and when loosening things up it's pretty wild.
If all of your other settings are default, TCS off will make all the difference. You'll have to work the sticks/throttle much more, obviously, but it's much more natural feeling instead of being cut off the accelerator constantly.

Sp3eD said:
In my playing the only thing I have been able to do is adjust the final speed of the gears. I remember in GT2 and 3 (the last ones I played before this) I could set my gear 1 to ridiculous levels if I wanted. So far I haven't been able to do this.

Am I missing something or can you only do it on racing modded cars / cars that are specifically for racing?

You can't which has piss off a good set of people , me being one of them .

SolidSnakex said:
It's a track that's built for speed which negates the fact that the car handles like a boat. If it were to hold the Nurburgring track record, which is an extremely technical track, that would be a very different story.

Well it may not hold the record but at 7:40 it's not too shabby either.

But i'm a GT-R fan so ill stop defending the Bugatti now! ;D

UFRA

Mihku said:
Finally got my Ticket 1000, even though I have 125 wins and almost 4k km. Some people got some extremely nice cars from it, guess I got the short straw. NSX '97 standard. You have got to be kidding me. Some get a 20 million car and I get this? :/

This is good news to hear. Now I have some hope that I'll still get mine. I'm at over 125 wins and just over 3,000 miles. Hopefully mine randomly shows up soon.

turnbuckle

All this talk about the Veyron handling like a boat has me thinking I need to get some better cars. I think the car handles pretty good but maybe I've become a fanboy for it and am dismissive of its flaws and ignorant of the alternatives.

--

This ticket 1000 stuff, does it have to be with 1 car or is it based on your cumulative racing history?

expy

Banned
UFRA said:
This is good news to hear. Now I have some hope that I'll still get mine. I'm at over 125 wins and just over 3,000 miles. Hopefully mine randomly shows up soon.
You still haven't gotten it? o.o

UFRA

expy said:
You still haven't gotten it? o.o

Just did some search engine work and found that people seem to get it at random times.

I've seen several people say the ticket says it's for "100 wins OR 2000km driven" but one guy said he had 202 wins and 3,500 miles driven and just got his.

So, I could get mine at any time now pretty much. :lol

expy

Banned
UFRA said:
Just did some search engine work and found that people seem to get it at random times.

I've seen several people say the ticket says it's for "100 wins OR 2000km driven" but one guy said he had 202 wins and 3,500 miles driven and just got his.

So, I could get mine at any time now pretty much. :lol
Odd, that's what it said on the ticket.. :lol

UFRA

expy said:
Odd, that's what it said on the ticket.. :lol

The good thing is, the ticket doesn't guarantee a good car, or a premium one for that matter.

I've seen people on GTP say they got anywhere from a Viper ACR premium all the way down to a 58 Subaru 360 standard lol. Man would I cry if I was that guy.

So, in the meantime until I (hopefully) get mine, I just keep telling myself that with my luck I'd get a Fiat 500 or something...:lol

qirex99

Banned
Noisepurge said:

funny thing there - GTR and Veyron - two overweight tugboats of supercars with a soul-less driving dynamic and electronic everything to post a good time...

i'll take a 360CS anyday over them piggies:)

darkwing

UFRA said:
The good thing is, the ticket doesn't guarantee a good car, or a premium one for that matter.

I've seen people on GTP say they got anywhere from a Viper ACR premium all the way down to a 58 Subaru 360 standard lol. Man would I cry if I was that guy.

So, in the meantime until I (hopefully) get mine, I just keep telling myself that with my luck I'd get a Fiat 500 or something...:lol

at least the Fiat is a Premium :lol

UFRA

darkwing said:
at least the Fiat is a Premium :lol

But there's also a standard version of it! I used to own that one but sold it. Knowing my luck the game would probably reward me with that very car just to rub it in my face and say "did ya miss me??" :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
qirex99 said:
funny thing there - GTR and Veyron - two overweight tugboats of supercars with a soul-less driving dynamic and electronic everything to post a good time...
The Veyron is in a yacht class of its own.

darkwing

UFRA said:
But there's also a standard version of it! I used to own that one but sold it. Knowing my luck the game would probably reward me with that very car just to rub it in my face and say "did ya miss me??" :lol

lol i just hope i'll get a new car, not something i already bought

expy

Banned
UFRA said:
I'm not selling any of my cars till I got the 1000 cars trophy. :lol

UFRA

dwebo said:
1.03 fixed the tires spelling (in the NA version) in the pit stop strategy window! Patch redeemed.

Hmm, I wonder if they fixed the Chrysler text mistake. Every other car manufacturer is in caps. FERRARI or DODGE for example.

I get excited and finally find my real life car in the dealership (Chrysler Crossfire) and I open it up to look at it and buy it...

"chrysler Crossfire '04"

WTF? My company isn't good enough to be in all caps??? :lol
:(

ACH1LL3US

Noisepurge said:

7:40 is very good on the Ring BUT... the car has 1001 BHP, the BMW M3 CSL went around the track at 7:50 and has 353 bhp... so for a car that weighs about 1000 lbs more and has 648 more bhp you would expect a larger gap :0

ACH1LL3US

qirex99 said:

i'll take a 360CS anyday over them piggies:)

I agree the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale is my fav car of all time, second is the BMW CSL. Lightweight FTW!

EL Beefo

UFRA said:

I got a NASCAR with mine, so I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

PetriP-TNT said:
After 2 weeks of playing, my game progress is sitting at 72%! How much does that F1 cost? 4 Mil?

4.8 million and 500k to fix it.

UFRA said:

I got a shit car with mine , sold it right away because i was piss off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm basically stuck in B-spec now :/ I can only assume the comments about the american championship in extreme being an easy grind were for a-spec, along with 'like the wind' and the gt all-stars, because a fully tuned ZR1-RM is not having any of it. European championship is easy pickings but the American one they're all driving bloody Chaparrals and Ford Mark IVs again, its the historic cup all over.

Can't do the formula GT as I don't have enough money to buy the car, can't do the historic cup because I need at minimum a Toyota race car from 'like the wind', can't win that event as my driver slows down on indy too much.

arse. my a-spec is down at about level 18, it'll take ages to get the like the wind car that way.

Anyone fancy donating a toyota race car, or chaparral or something that'll handle these events? Need to be pokey to let my driver drive past. Can't get by on driver skill alone as they are just too scared of corners.

edit: aargh, got to first place but being hassled by three ford GT LM race cars.

wtf, just opened my laptop to type this and I'm fifth!

how high can you raise the transmission for top speed on the indy speedway and not kill your acceleration?

Just did the Ferrari cup at A-Spec pro with my new Italia 458. Only thing I changed were the tires (soft sports) and it was cool. The handling was nice, but not so uber extremely awesome, as I hoped (I blame you guys for the hype! :p). Thank God I was fast enough in the corners, the Enzo smoked me on the straight.

My second race with the Italia (still stock performance with soft sports) was the first supercar cup in the Pro series.
Holy shit, the High Speed Ring feels so much better backwards, it's like a new track. Really awesome. It was also the first time I raced against a Veyron and ... well, 'lol' at this tank. 8s+ behind me, it wasn't dangerous at all. The Nardò Concept however surprised me. I love this car and 'hate' PD for not making it premium, but the performance is still pretty good. Thanks to my shitty cornering in the second sector, it was only 2 seconds behind me. I loved to see it in my read mirror, though. <3

vw_nardo.jpg

Top Bottom