• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Steroyd

Damnit new bonus races, on the day I sacrifice my PS3 for the greater good (unlocking the 24 hour le mans for christmas day).

These bonus races are awesome, I can buy a new car, and instantly make my money back and then some without upgrading the car if I just want to settle with getting my money back and earning xp.

But of course I don't want to settle for 6th place. :)

Just beat the Focus challenge by turning on skid recovery force, not feeling satisfied at all :lol

Its funny though, with skid recovery off I was finishing 10 sec behind first car, with skid recovery on I overtook him with about half lap still to go. I hope Kaz and company are not making these event based on the assumption that people play it with skid recovery on at all times.

anddo0

TTG said:
Ok, so the new bonus events went like this:

Mini at Cape Ring - easy gold
Focus ST in Madrid - easy silver, rocket ship 1st place like 16 seconds ahead and pulling away
Mustang at Laguna Seca - easy gold
RX-7 at Tsukuba - managible silver, rocket ship 1st place 20 seconds ahead and I'm inching closer

Gonna try NASCAR at Nurburgring tomorrow. Will enter some endurance race tonight to hopefully burn off the magical engine oil boost so I don't have to waste 500k on a new car. Hopefully there are some answers to wtf is going on with these events by then. I could be using the wrong car at Tsukuba(just bought the most expensive premium RX-7, maybe there's some standard race variant that actually gets close to the 800kg limit?) but Madrid is a complete fucking mystery.

Please share any tips you may have; especially regarding the RX-7 race.

Dead Man

Okay, so the Focus, RX7, and NASCAR races seem impossible for me. I golded the first series easily, but these are kicking my arse. Second for the Focus and RX7, but miles behind first, and the NASCAR one I barely catch the tail runners.

m0ngo said:
So which Nascar car do you guys recomend to do that seasonal nurburg challenge?

They are all the same spec, just go with the one you like the look of the most! Or, do the Zombie Jeff Special Event and win one :)

sun-drop

ok ... so i just arrived at my mates house for xmas ... saw he had a ps3 and gt ..so i sign in as my psn, copy over my save off my cell ..... boot up GT ..and ...

shit load of stelth and GT branded cars are just added to my garage .... wtf??

xmas pressy? too cool ..

or have i just somehow stolen cars from my mate?

Goldrusher

Dead Man said:
the NASCAR one I barely catch the tail runners.
I had no problems in a stock NASCAR set to maximum downforce. Caught the #1 somewhere in the third sector of the second lap.

sun-drop said:
Yes and no.
DLC cars are added to the garage of any player on the console.

sun-drop said:
ok ... so i just arrived at my mates house for xmas ... saw he had a ps3 and gt ..so i sign in as my psn, copy over my save off my cell ..... boot up GT ..and ...

shit load of stelth and GT branded cars are just added to my garage .... wtf??

xmas pressy? too cool ..

The cars are installed in the GAMEDATA section, and that is shared on all accounts, so when you logged in yours you got them. You didn't steal them don't worry.

sun-drop

Metalmurphy said:
The cars are installed in the GAMEDATA section, and that is shared on all accounts, so when you logged in yours you got them. You didn't steal them don't worry.

No :p His friends still has them.

oh cool ... so if i save and backup the save file under my profile back to my phone ..if i copy that to my own ps3 when i get home ..i'll still have those extra cars?

sun-drop said:
oh cool ... so if i save and backup the save file under my profile back to my phone ..if i copy that to my own ps3 when i get home ..i'll still have those extra cars?

Yes, what's saved in the GAMEDATA is actually the "activation" for those cars. Once they're on the garage they move to your SAVEDATA.

dwebo

Ugh, if these seasonal races are always just going to be overtaking challenges and continue to only award credit/xp, then count me out after this set. RX-7 gold required 10 (near-perfect imo) 1min laps just to overtake midway on the last goddamn lap. On the NASCAR one I got into first midway on the second lap and a few seconds later spun out and dropped to 5th. :'(

If there was actually decent AI, they could create standing start races that are actually challenging, not this start 40 seconds behind and drive like a maniac to catch up bullshit.

edit: Or just revert back to the first set's difficulty level. Those weren't so bad :lol

anddo0

dwebo said:
Ugh, if these seasonal races are always just going to be overtaking challenges and continue to only award credit/xp, then count me out after this set. RX-7 gold required 10 (near-perfect imo) 1min laps just to overtake midway on the last goddamn lap. On the NASCAR one I got into first midway on the second lap and a few seconds later spun out and dropped to 5th. :'(

If there was actually decent AI, they could create standing start races that are actually challenging, not this start 40 seconds behind and drive like a maniac to catch up bullshit.

Oh come on, you didn't do the driving missions in GT4?:lol

I share your frustration though... But what are you going to do? The seasonal events are the quickest way to level up and gain cash.

dwebo

anddo0 said:
Oh come on, you didn't do the driving missions in GT4?:lol

I share your frustration though... But what are you going to do? The seasonal events are the quickest way to level up and gain cash.
I didn't like sim racers back when GT4 came out, so I never played much of it. I thought the overtaking challenges in Prologue were crap, though. Yeah... at least these don't have shortcut or collision penalites. That's a positive, I guess.

As for money and xp, that depends on how quickly you can win these. In my case... I probably should just go grind Indy :lol

offshore

Well at least there's no Skyline overtaking challenge, like that pain in the backside one in GT4. God that challenge annoyed me more than anything.

Darvan said:
Question guys has anyone tried the HKS Racing Controller with GT5? I'm really thinking about buy this and i wanted to hear how it was with the game.

I just got one (early christmas present) and its really good. The angled wheel feels pretty natural to use and is very precise. There is the faintest bit of lag when using it though. The thumbstick has less travel to it compared to the Ds3 but again its more precise. The thumb controls for gas and break are pretty nifty to. Being able to blend the 2 together is really helping my times on the X2010 challenge. Also on the back there is a switch where you can change the button configuration on the fly where it swaps the thumb controls for gas and break to L2 and R2. I wanted one as there is a lack of space for a steering wheel setup where i live and so far im really enjoying using it.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146484

h3ro

Steroyd said:
I thought PD were giving the Jaguar XJ... the 20million car and others on Xmas day?

Japan got 3 of the Chromeline cars, the XJ13, Murcielago and M3 GTS. Downloading them from a JPN account doesn't work

No word if we're going to get anything.

avaya

Can someone breakdown the xp and Credits for the new events please? My B-spec is grinding.

EDIT: Nevermind, found them from GTPlanet

Bonus races are
1, Mini Cooper - 5 laps - Cape ring inside - 20000 xp - 200,000 cr
2,Ford focus st - 5 laps - Madrid - 30000 xp - 300,000 cr
3,Ford mustang v8 gt - 5 laps - Laguna Seca - 45000 xp - 400,000 cr
4, Mazda rx-7 - 10 laps - Tsukuba - 55000 - 600,000 cr
5, NASCAR - 2 laps - Nordschleife - 100000xp - 1,000,000 cr

_RT_

Just turned it off so I don't know the exact breakdown.... but it's the same as the first round - basically.
200,000 - 1,000,000

Edit:
lol. Way f'in slow.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, who wants to give me a car so I can do Like the Wind Daytona and win my Minolta? This Furai keeps skidding off the track. :( :lol

TheSeks said:
So, who wants to give me a car so I can do Like the Wind Daytona and win my Minolta? This Furai keeps skidding off the track. :( :lol

Want my Corvette ZR1? It can do it, but it aint easy.

Actually, scratch that, it's SUPER easy with my setup.

Shaneus

h3ro said:
Japan got 3 of the Chromeline cars, the XJ13, Murcielago and M3 GTS. Downloading them from a JPN account doesn't work

No word if we're going to get anything.
Knowing the pathetic prizes that are awarded in this game, I'd wager it'll be this.

avaya

expy said:
Already given as a prize during one of the b-spec races.

yeah cos after doing the Lupo cup car race all someone wants is...ANOTHER LUPO!

The prize cars are monumentally shit. I've got countless skylines and 350z's and useless sub 100hp tin cans.

razu

KennyLinder said:
Mini event done, so awesome! Cut the chicane on the last lap to sneak past 1st and 2nd place :lol

That's *exactly* why I hated that event. I stayed within the white lines through the whole race a few times and couldn't get anywhere near the front. Cut the chicanes... 1st place.

Fiat 500 race was better...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:
Want my Corvette ZR1? It can do it, but it aint easy.

Actually, scratch that, it's SUPER easy with my setup.

I would love it if it can get me gold. I just want the Minolta so I can start to grind Like the Wind Indy proper and abuse it for B-Spec leveling. :lol

Crack said:
I hate all overtaking crap which is why I avoid all the seasonals and some of the specials.

Why? Just buy the car, place 6th at best, or tune it slightly and place 2/3/4 at best (Stupid 1st place and it's rocketship. WTF) and you make your money back from the car + tuning and some more + experience to level your A-Spec quickly.

The first set made me go from level 15 to level 20 just doing all of them and placing at least 6th in them. Doing the second set will probably push me to 22-25. They're easy money and experience, man. They're shit races, sure, but nothing to sneeze at.

yeah cos after doing the Lupo cup car race all someone wants is...ANOTHER LUPO!

The A AND B-Spec Truck races have the same (shitty) Daihatsu Japanese Business truck. At first I was like "WTF? :lol " and then I was like "SMH Kaz, because I want a clone of a car I got in A-Spec and never will drive. :|"

plainr_

avaya said:
7 days after the the first set, so it must be the 13th Jan

Thanks. Guess I have lots of time to finish when I return after xmas break.

Freaking love these seasonal races. I'll be at level 30 in no time. :D

I always hated the concept and I suck. Better not to waste time on those and shave off years of my life from anger :lol

Grinding American championship if I needed money. 117k every 3.5 minutes is fine enough for me.

Goldrusher

avaya said:
The prize cars are monumentally shit. I've got countless skylines and 350z's and useless sub 100hp tin cans.
I agree that the prize cars aren't always that great, but where did you get a countless Skylines ?
There's not a single Skyline to be won.

edit: Except for the current GT-R (gold S) as well as two of its prototypes (gold IC and Suzuka 1000).

razu

As I wrestle with my frustration at trying to get a NASCAR around the Nurburgring I have noticed something a bit dodgy. I'm using a DS3 and triggers for accelerate and brake. The accelerator is fine in the lower half of its range, but from halfway and beyond it's almost digital. I *keep* losing the back of my car as I try to blend the throttle back on as I come out of a corner. No throttle... little bit as I start straightening up... Nearly straight, feels like it should be half power... BANG! Full throttle, back's coming out... Fuck sake, may as well use the buttons!!!

No brake lights on the NASCARs threw me a bit too. Why's that car getting all big!? Oh, it's slowing down. Cue man kicking wheelie bin sound effect...

Oh, and while I'm in a mood... I know GT can have awful engine sounds, but bumper cam Mini Cooper wins hands down. Some kind of food blender, hoover and hair trimmer all at once. And never sounds like it's about to hit the limiter, just a flattish wall of noise... Please, please, please can I pick my sound mix independently of camera? Always sounds better in chase, more exhausty. Gear whine? Rather have AIDS poured into my ears...

Grumble, grumble...

Top Bottom