• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

test_account

XP-39C²
Those 3 free cars that should be available at xmas, where are those?

Also, that Nürburgring Nascar challenge is damn hard. I finished like 50 seconds after 1st place hehe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UFRA said:
Also, Seks. I have the GameStop NASCAR from a friend's account, but I changed the oil and it has 892 HP. lol.

Cheater!

Sign into my account and save and give me your chromelines. ;__;

I was surprised the Gamestop NASCAR could enter the event, but it gave me 10,000. I ain't attempting that event again. Stupid.

X-Frame

What kind of lap times do I need to Gold the Focus even? I am doing 1.44.XX's and am still losing by 9 seconds.

I drove "perfectly" as well. No mistakes, and unless I am doing something crazy wrong I don't see how I can catch that bitch up front.

X-Frame said:
What kind of lap times do I need to Gold the Focus even? I am doing 1.44.XX's and am still losing by 9 seconds.

I drove "perfectly" as well. No mistakes, and unless I am doing something crazy wrong I don't see how I can catch that bitch up front.

Yeah pretty sure its impossible

TTG

UFRA said:
Wow, fuck this.

I can't participate in the NASCAR seasonal event because I changed the oil on my car...

And it's pointless to buy a NASCAR to do it since it will nearly cost the entire amount that I'll win in the end anyways.

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Enter it in an endurance race, it will scrub off just enough hp. My car is back to 850 exactly.

Speaking of which. NASCAR at the ring... yeeesh. I can't string one lap together. Hard as hell to pass these idiots and the car is a flying brick on rollerskates. I just want to get one good race in before I turn on god mode to beat it.

TTG

Starfish_Oxide said:
Yeah pretty sure its impossible

It is impossible... without skid recovery jedi force. 2nd place is easy in the Focus and only requires ok driving with the RX-7, but you will need that assist to get first. I'm thinking the same goes for the NASCAR event. I'm just enjoying some masochism via GT5 right now because NASCARs around Nurburgring sound awesome in my head...

ashk

For everyone having troble with NASCARs on the 'ring: max out both the front and rear downforce. Makes the event a cakewalk.

Dezcom

So many of you having trouble with NASCAR @ the Ring. o_O
That was easy as hell, I caught 1st place on the backside straightaway (edit: from Bergwerk to Mutkurve) on the 2nd lap and cruised the rest of the way home. That was the only one out of the new group that I didn't have to turn on Skid Recovery!

X-Frame

I must be doing something wrong then because I DO have SFR on in the Focus Event, which seems to simply transform my tires from Comfort Softs into Sport Hards.

I need to see a replay or someone Golding it or something. Maybe I'm doing something critically wrong when driving that's making me lose a lot of time.

Finally! Finished building the attachment for the Poang Chair from Ikea. Only 4 butterfly nuts and it comes off the chair completely.

Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel.

So far, loving it ... but I'll be damned if it doesn't add stress to the race when you actually are shifting and such. Haven't enable the clutch yet as I need to get use to it. I do love making adjustments midrace though and being able to tune it.

I've only ever tried the DFGT before but I love the feel of this wheel. I bought all the parts to make it so the thing could fold up so you could easily get in and out but it's not bad with it stationary.

The only downside is the PS/2 cable to the shifter is on the bottom and that's where your thigh kind of is, not a huge hassle but I'm going to see if there are flat PS/2 cables out there.

Probably finish it with a stain to match the chair and cut some pieces of wood to make it more smooth looking, but it's a blast to race with!

IMG_6021.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6019.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
flyinpiranha: Chair from Ikea? ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, you even wrote that it was from Ikea :D I just wrote it since i have the exact same chair myself (although the wood got a more light color). Good chair in my opinion :)

TheSeks

So, who wants to send me a Minolta so I can win my own?

Stupid Daytona track. :(

TTG

flyinpiranha said:
Finally! Finished building the attachment for the Poang Chair from Ikea. Only 4 butterfly nuts and it comes off the chair completely.

Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel.

Why is it turned almost 90 degrees to the right side? Don't tell me you were trying to adjust for NASCAR driving around a circuit.

MMaRsu

Holy shit.

Bought a Ferrari 430 Scuderi or Scudera or whatever, in silver. Fucking amazing.. tuned it, and did the ferrari race in professional. Did it in cockpit view with the hud off. Hotel California came on from the start of the race.. I was smoking weed before it.. holy shit man I came in first on my first try. That shit was so goddamn good, the solo for Hotel California came on in the last lap. DAAAAAAAYUMMMM

I love this game <3

Now I'm watching the replay and it's sooo good. Nice drifts and stuff, took those corners real nice.

In what other races can I use it?

MMaRsu said:
Holy shit.

Bought a Ferrari 430 Scuderi or Scudera or whatever, in silver. Fucking amazing.. tuned it, and did the ferrari race in professional. Did it in cockpit view with the hud on. Hotel California came on from the start of the race.. I was smoking weed before it.. holy shit man I came in first on my first try. That shit was so goddamn good, the solo for Hotel California came on in the last lap. DAAAAAAAYUMMMM

I love this game <3

Now I'm watching the replay and it's sooo good. Nice drifts and stuff, took those corners real nice.

I can always spot a fellow Dutchman in these situations. :lol

TTG said:
Why is it turned almost 90 degrees to the right side? Don't tell me you were trying to adjust for NASCAR driving around a circuit.

Ha, nah, I think I killed the power on it while I was adjusting things, it also might have been right after I turned it on and it does its crazy twist.

I did do that NASCAR challenge though and got silver, I was unable to draft those bastards before.

test_account said:
flyinpiranha: Chair from Ikea? ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, you even wrote that it was from Ikea :D I just wrote it since i have the exact same chair myself (although the wood got a more light color). Good chair in my opinion :)

Yep, great chair and it was easy to take the attachment off too, like a minute of just unscrewing the butterfly nuts and the chair (and living room) is back to girlfriend approved :lol

Nitemare1

I found a great set of plans for a racing wheel table over on the turn 10 studio blog and put one together over the last few weeks. To do it right takes around 60 - 100$ worth of material (depending on where you live) and I would recommend a little woodworking experience (or knowing somebody that has some) if you are going to tackle it. All that being said I'm very happy with how mine turned out. I did make a few minor adjustments with the way it all bolts together and how the trays sit but all in all it's a lot better than the table I was using.

wheelstand.jpg

Here is the link to the blog post if anyone is interested in giving it a shot.
turn 10 studio blog

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hmmm...I just realized Polyphony didn't model the R8 5.2 V10 correctly. They have the wrong headlights. The game has the same xenon-projector headlights as the 4.2 V8. The headlights on a 5.2 V10 have a unique trapezoidal shaped projector with six powerful LEDs shining through it.

7e480cf3a30810ab45e6led2-950-500x315.jpg

My in-game R8 V10 doesn't have those lights. :\

UFRA

ashk said:
For everyone having troble with NASCARs on the 'ring: max out both the front and rear downforce. Makes the event a cakewalk.

Will try this after dinner. Thanks.

Just tried the NASCAR one quick (only one I have left to gold - FUCK YOU Ford Focus RS guy on Madrid. WHO SENT YOU INTO THE WALL?? HUH??? YEAH THAT'S RIGHT!! HAHHAHAAH /insanity) and made it to 8/12 by sector 3 and then spun out.

I THINK that I was making good progress. By the time I'd complete 1 lap I should have been at least 6/12, so technically that should be good. However, I'm sure PD has some more BS up ahead waiting for me like Jeff Gordon with nitrous or something, so I'll keep the downforce trick in mind.

Edit: I really hope they include performance points again. It would make things so much more fun. I'm up for a good close race as much as the next guy. But these stupid challenges of 'lets-restrict-the-player-to-some-crap-HP-restriction-and-then-put-them-in-last-place-and-our-first-place-guy-will-start-out-40-sec-ahead-and-have-a-better-car-lolz'

I may be whining, but I'd rather have some good close heated races. Not this 'catch-up' crap. :(

AlphaSnake said:
Hmmm...I just realized Polyphony didn't model the R8 5.2 V10 correctly. They have the wrong headlights. The game has the same xenon-projector headlights as the 4.2 V8. The headlights on a 5.2 V10 have a unique trapezoidal shaped projector with six powerful LEDs shining through it.

You just ruined my Christmas :(

AlphaSnake said:

So Kaz trolled us the whole time huh

-viper-

Banned
How am I meant to gold the Focus ST Madrid event?

It's fucking impossible. Got silver but I'm no where near first place.

These events are definitely a lot harder than the previous ones, of which I managed to gold all.

Haven't tried the Nascar event yet since my car is already 40hp over the limit. Guess I'll have to buy a new Nascar vehicle :\

What is the difficulty of the Mini Cooper S event like? Doable? Or Impossible like the Madrid event? Tsukuba felt great to drive. I had to drive like hell on that event to get first :p

TTG

UFRA said:
I may be whining, but I'd rather have some good close heated races. Not this 'catch-up' crap. :(

Yea, they could change it up a little. Starting at 12th and climbing to the top feels too clinical, it's like a license test really. It's fun, but 10 events are enough. I'd like to see some back and forth, falling back and recovering etc. instead of restarting at every mistake. I like that they included a NASCAR event this time, should be more events like that. WRC(ON TARMAC) and Le Mans etc.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man I really wish we could revert our cars to stock... fuck I'll purchase all the tuning again, but just let me go back to stock. :/

TTG

Just realized I was doing the NASCAR challenge on street tires. :lol No wonder I could only manage half a lap and getting into 10th place.

Chris R

Some of these challenges are tough... Finally got the 500 golded, don't know if I'll be able to do the final 3 from series A and series B looks expensive to start. Did get a 3rd place for the R/T 70 on Indy's Road Course though, might be able to turn that into a gold with a better infield time, thing is so damn squirrely though.

UFRA

TTG said:
Yea, they could change it up a little. Starting at 12th and climbing to the top feels too clinical, it's like a license test really. It's fun, but 10 events are enough. I'd like to see some back and forth, falling back and recovering etc. instead of restarting at every mistake. I like that they included a NASCAR event this time, should be more events like that. WRC(ON TARMAC) and Le Mans etc.

Totally agree. A change from these types of events would be very welcomed.

Just beat the NASCAR event on my first try once I used ashk's tip of turning the downforce to the max on front and rear.

Worked great, car had tons more grip and I passed Zombie Gordon by sector 3 on the 2nd lap.

@ viper:

The Mini Cooper event was easy IMO. That one I got on my first try, although I was cheap and did a major corner cut on the chicane near the end of the lap. :lol

As for Madrid, my only tip is that you have to be a total jerkoff and use the AI as your brakes, ramming them as necessary. You have to be in 5th place by the end of the 1st lap, and you have to overtake 3rd and 4th place by the first hairpin turn in the beginning of lap 2. After that, it's just perfect driving for the remaining laps until you catch the jerk in the Focus RS.

The thing is, the Focus RS guy starts in 2nd place, so you have only 1 lap to really catch up to him since the Civic guy slows him down. After that, he unleashes his perfect driving and you have to be even better.

I could have just passed him, but instead I rammed him at full speed on the straightaway to the hairpin before the end of the track as he braked. :lol It felt so good to get revenge.

TheSeks

JM let me borrow your Minolta, man. :( No one is playing Bad Company, I can do the Daytona race *knock on wood* and beat it and get my Minolta. :(

The X2010 challenge is killing me. Finally got bronze at Monza but i'm 11+ secs behind bronze in Suzuka and Nurburgring.

I dont even know how to shave those secs off ;_;

Hands are sore from having to wrestle the steering wheel for a few hours. Fuckin X2010 >_>

MMaRsu

recklessmind said:
Man I really wish we could revert our cars to stock... fuck I'll purchase all the tuning again, but just let me go back to stock. :/

Yeah even if it costs a bit of money

UFRA

TheSeks said:
JM let me borrow your Minolta, man. :( No one is playing Bad Company, I can do the Daytona race *knock on wood* and beat it and get my Minolta. :(

Oh, I must have missed your request. You trying to beat Like the Wind I take it?

I'll let you have my Minolta, but the deal is that I get the new one you win. lol That way you can crash it or whatever and it's your damage to repair. I haven't even used my Minolta yet other than testing it out (only 9 miles on it) so that's the only reason I ask this condition this one time. :p (you know I'm normally real good about letting you borrow my stuff, it's just that this is such an expensive car and I really HATE the BS 500,000 repair crap lol)

TheSeks

UFRA said:
Oh, I must have missed your request. You trying to beat Like the Wind I take it?

I'll let you have my Minolta, but the deal is that I get the new one you win. lol That way you can crash it or whatever and it's your damage to repair. I haven't even used my Minolta yet other than testing it out (only 9 miles on it) so that's the only reason I ask this condition this one time. :p (you know I'm normally real good about letting you borrow my stuff, it's just that this is such an expensive car and I really HATE the BS 500,000 repair crap lol)

That's fine. I just want to win Like the Wind and you can have the new one. I can get another new one later.

Edit: Actually, I can give you yours back untouched. Let me futz with the clock and do something really quick.

UFRA

TheSeks said:
That's fine. I just want to win Like the Wind and you can have the new one. I can get another new one later.

Mine is already tuned as well, so it should be quite nice. :)

1010HP beast on its way!

Got gold in the nascar challenge after giving in and switching on skid recovery force. What a difference. Now on to the other events, finally have an excuse to buy the premium RX7 :D

X-Frame

I agree with everyone else that I hope they do something different in the next game without this from-a-roll, start in last place, catch-up style.

I can make an even more exciting race in A-Spec by joining with an inferior car and fighting tooth and nail to win, but I'm sure PD can get more creative.

Slightly off-topic, but I haven't been Online yet. How is it? Is everything performing good and is it worth it? Like do people have really good, intense races with other players?

TheSeks

UFRA said:
Mine is already tuned as well, so it should be quite nice. :)

1010HP beast on its way!

Hopefully this works like it did the last time I did this today. Otherwise I'll look like a right ass giving you your minolta back untouched.

As a special, you'll get a new 0 miles one as well once I win the race. >_<

Edit: Hah, it did. Thanks, JM. :D

UFRA

TheSeks said:
Hopefully this works like it did the last time I did this today. Otherwise I'll look like a right ass giving you your minolta back untouched.

As a special, you'll get a new 0 miles one as well once I win the race. >_<

Edit: Hah, it did. Thanks, JM. :D

*looks around with shifty eyes*

Seks have you gone mad? :lol What clever plan have you just engaged in??

You have grabbed my interest now lol. I got my Minolta back untouched just as you said, but what happened on your end?

TheSeks

UFRA said:
*looks around with shifty eyes*

Seks have you gone mad? :lol What clever plan have you just engaged in??

You have grabbed my interest now lol. I got my Minolta back untouched just as you said, but what happened on your end?

You'd kill me if you knew.

And as promised, you're getting a 0.0 miles driven Minolta back as a present. Merry Christmas. <3

razu

Well, onwards I went in my quest for low-end enjoyment...

Again the Fiat 500 F '68 is a winner. But not for its 77BHP circuit burning fury. Oh no, this evening I have fitted some dirt tyres and have been time trialling on Eiger Nordwand W Trail.

Cockpit view, big steering wheel, lock to lock... Low enough power that you can play on a pad with all the assists off and just snake your way up and down the mountain.

Replay is hilarious. You can see the MASSIVE steering wheel being yanked all over the place. Not to mention the somewhat ineffective rear wing... :D

Broke 1:30 for a lap. Don't know if that's any good. But was a laugh!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

TheSeks

UFRA said:
Aww, what a guy. :)

You're going to have to wait 4 hours though, as apparently time manipulation to send two cars is just that... two cars per day (or maybe ever. :/)

Top Bottom