• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

cilonen

razu said:
Okay, I *love* the chilled out jazz of GT. I sometimes even hum old GT menu music out of habit... Great. Awesome. Happy days!

However, in GT5, *that* track with the kids singing, with the volume maxed out so the voices fade in and out with every drum beat... is making me want to kill all humans.

So, I went into the music track list, previewed *every* *fucking* track. I swear it's not there.

Thing is, I want the awesome jazz, just not this shite-awful track, that pops up all the time. But it looks like I'm going to have to just turn the menu music off. I find myself racing through the menus to try and avoid the vocals on that track. Shit ain't right!

Please someone tell me how to turn it off...! Please...

That's the PNAU track I mentioned above. It bugs the crap out of me - enough that despite really liking the rest of the soundtrack, if it's not in the list to disable I'll just replace with my own tunes or kill all music in the options.

offshore

cilonen said:
That's the PNAU track I mentioned above. It bugs the crap out of me - enough that despite really liking the rest of the soundtrack, if it's not in the list to disable I'll just replace with my own tunes or kill all music in the options.
Going through sixty-three tracks and disabling them all is not fun...

razu

cilonen said:

Ah right, sorry, just dove into the thread in a fit of rage. It's ruining the vibe, man!

Oh, but I guess if I can be bothered I can replace the tracks with previous GT sound tracks...! Winner. If I can be bothered that is...

jaaz

Just tried GT5 for the first time after buying it two months ago. My previous experience was with GT3 (skipped GT4). What an amazing game this is.

I'm using a G25 Wheel and a Playseat, and I have to say that I can not imagine playing this game without a wheel. This game transmits the feeling of driving better than any game I've ever played. I know it's a bad hyperbole, but I swear sometimes I can smell burning rubber when I take a turn too fast. If you are into racing at all, buy a wheel. Don't even give it a second thought.

I started with the A and B licenses and didn't move on to the actual races until I scored at least Silver in each one. Helped tremendously when I got into the races.

One minor negative--and it's really not GT5's fault: I really wish Amazon hadn't send me a code for the Mercedes "Stealth" AMG SLS. I can't stop using that car, even in the beginner races, because it drives so well! It's easy mode to the max (thank God for car restrictive races!)

test_account

XP-39C²
_RT_ said:
Which RX-7 did you tune?
I tuned an older model and I still can't get better than 6. I think I may have to buy a newer ride.
I checked now and i think i tried to use a RX-7 GT-X (FC) 90 yesterday when i got like 50 second behind 1st place after the first round. I see now that this car has like 225BHP (tuned a bit), so now wonder i got far behind when the limit is 394BHP :) Which RX-7 model is the best to use?

gutterboy44 said:
Make sure you buy all other upgrades, especially transmission. Managed 4th without the transmission, bought the fully customized one, set it to 135mph or around there and was able to get up to first in lap 9. You really got to let the RX-7 slide a bit and take advantage if its super sharp yet stable turn in. You can really attack the apexes and that bitch just holds. That event started out as a rage fest but ended up making me really appreciate the RX-7 as a car.
Ok, thanks :) What about adjustments to aero parts and suspention?

test_account said:
I checked now and i think i tried to use a RX-7 GT-X (FC) 90 yesterday when i got like 50 second behind 1st place after the first round. I see now that this car has like 225BHP (tuned a bit), so now wonder i got far behind when the limit is 394BHP :) Which RX-7 model is the best to use?

Ok, thanks :) What about adjustments to aero parts and suspention?

I left the suspension alone and put the rear wing to 20 I think. My RX-7 was the newest premium one. Forgot the exact name.

confuziz

Banned
razu said:
Okay, I *love* the chilled out jazz of GT. I sometimes even hum old GT menu music out of habit... Great. Awesome. Happy days!

However, in GT5, *that* track with the kids singing, with the volume maxed out so the voices fade in and out with every drum beat... is making me want to kill all humans.

So, I went into the music track list, previewed *every* *fucking* track. I swear it's not there.

Thing is, I want the awesome jazz, just not this shite-awful track, that pops up all the time. But it looks like I'm going to have to just turn the menu music off. I find myself racing through the menus to try and avoid the vocals on that track. Shit ain't right!

Please someone tell me how to turn it off...! Please...

Chemical Brothers - Escape Velocity

dwebo

Finally have more premiums than standards (113 v. 112) :lol

Was the LFA that took me over the top too. It's kind of boggling how many cars that *should be in the arcade "garage" are not. Just of the recent notable cars going by my list - 8C, Corvette, Viper, whole boatload of Ferraris, Ford GT, LFA, etc. etc.

kharma45

I might finally get GT5 tomorrow, ordered it on 20th so hopefully it'll arrive when the post restarts.

My PS3 will be glad to finally play a game that isn't FIFA 11 :lol

h3ro said:
Matte Black LFA

<3

I like my Slate Blue one as well,
idgVsl.jpg

A8EKjl.jpg

Anyone care to offer some basic tips on driving with a wheel and turning off all assists?

I feel like I spin out so easily on every car.

I WANT TO DO THIS

jaaz

Anyone use a buttkicker for this game? I'm thinking about adding one to my playseat rig. Does it add to the experience or is it just annoying?

spats

AnonymousNoob said:
Anyone care to offer some basic tips on driving with a wheel and turning off all assists?

I WANT TO DO THIS

Be very careful with the throttle. Do some time trial runs in practise mode and incrementally apply a bit more throttle on each lap while still maintaining control.

AnonymousNoob said:

I WANT TO DO THIS

Smoothness is key. Snapping off the throttle or brake are going to upset the balance of your car. Use the wheel to your advantage. Your don't have to have an all or nothing turn in and track out. Guide the car to the apex instead of just trying to point it at it. Then as you exit the corner, aka track out, start to to open up your arms returning the wheel to straight. As you are tracking out you need to be squeezing on the throttle, not just stabbing it to full throttle. It is all about the in between with the wheel.

Really focus on trying to extend the length of your movements, eg, longer brake squeeze, gradual turn in and track out, squeeze on the gas. Exaggerate them at first and you will notice the difference, then just naturally dial them down to optimal levels as you adapt.

Edit: these are just general tips. Lots of practice is key.

cilonen

gutterboy44 said:
I like my Slate Blue one as well...

Superb, great rims too. Can you easily swap back to original rims in the setup screen, or is the change to aftermarket alloys permanent? - I've never tried and can't just go and check right now, d'oh.

cilonen said:
Superb, great rims too. Can you easily swap back to original rims in the setup screen, or is the change to aftermarket alloys permanent? - I've never tried and can't just go and check right now, d'oh.

Yes you can always go back to the originals. You go back to the rim shop in GT Auto, and re buy your original rims., should be the first ones on the list and labeled as original. Can't remember if they are cheaper, but likely just the same price 2,500 or whatever it is rims cost.

I am on a massive black rim binge. SLR Mclaren black with black rims..mmmm my god. Sex.

brentech

Finished FormulaGT series with gold, which completed my Expert Class races.
Got the normal gift for that, a lvl21 ticket and then another ticket 1000 for reaching another mark.

With my lvl21 ticket I got: XJ220 LM Race Car
With my Ticket 1000 I got: MX-5 V-Special II

Pumped for that XJ220

cilonen

gutterboy44 said:
Yes you can always go back to the originals. You go back to the rim shop in GT Auto, and re buy your original rims., should be the first ones on the list and labeled as original. Can't remember if they are cheaper, but likely just the same price 2,500 or whatever it is rims cost.

I am on a massive black rim binge. SLR Mclaren black with black rims..mmmm my god. Sex.

Yep, love black rims. My first 'proper' car in the game was a tuned 458 italia, repainted matte black with the paint chip from the Lexus, unpainted carbon bonnet and black Rays/Volk alloys. Looked absolutely superb. Also really like white cars on really minimal black rims like the ones on your Lexus.

Edit: thanks for the info too, I can mod happily now knowing I can go back to stock.

Gek54

jaaz said:
Anyone use a buttkicker for this game? I'm thinking about adding one to my playseat rig. Does it add to the experience or is it just annoying?

It works very well with the buttkicker. The collision noise must have been designed just for the BK, they will certainly wake you up, rumble strips feel perfect as well. I am thinking of getting another BK for seperate left and right feedback.

plainr_

Melfice7 said:
Dont your arms fall off after a full speed lap there?

I've gotten used to the FF. It's much more tiring on an oval track if you ask me. Keeping the wheel steady on long straights is just ridiculous. :lol

Choc

Banned
guys tips for Formula GT in terms of downforce?

Also I can win all nascar races EXCEPT daytona, any tips on setup?

:( :)

offshore said:
Oh my God this 10 lap NASCAR race at Daytona continues to be a fucking bitch :lol

God knows how many attempts I've done at it, but the fuckers keep spinning me out. But boy it's awesome, it feels like real close racing. This is the race I do to remind myself that GT5 can do incredible, close racing.

I hope PD keep the NASCAR license next time around. If they shore up the exaggerated drafting and made the AI a little smarter, and just made more a bit use of the series, then I for one would welcome it.

I do want them to keep the license, but i also want them to hire someone that knows the sport to handle things.

No flags, exagerated drafting, and no basic tuning options made this a very bare bones approach to the sport.

It has potential, but it was a bit wasted.

Not having left/right suspension tires adjustments were a big fuck up. No two tire stops, no restrictor plates. I expected them to put the same effort they did in the car moddeling with the actual representation of the sport.

And yuck at 14.95 DLC!!! That´s a rip-off and i hope once they do something they charge us reasonable prices.

spats said:
Be very careful with the throttle. Do some time trial runs in practise mode and incrementally apply a bit more throttle on each lap while still maintaining control.

gutterboy44 said:
Smoothness is key. Snapping off the throttle or brake are going to upset the balance of your car. Use the wheel to your advantage. Your don't have to have an all or nothing turn in and track out. Guide the car to the apex instead of just trying to point it at it. Then as you exit the corner, aka track out, start to to open up your arms returning the wheel to straight. As you are tracking out you need to be squeezing on the throttle, not just stabbing it to full throttle. It is all about the in between with the wheel.

Really focus on trying to extend the length of your movements, eg, longer brake squeeze, gradual turn in and track out, squeeze on the gas. Exaggerate them at first and you will notice the difference, then just naturally dial them down to optimal levels as you adapt.

Edit: these are just general tips. Lots of practice is key.

I did as you folks suggested and I'm already faring much better than I was before.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

229 laps later and the mazda roadster endurance is completed. i never want to see that awful track again, and what's with the credit and xp distribution in this game being so shit?

all that time for a measly 200k xp

i'm still two levels off the vettel challenge :(

Fuck yeah, what a way to start the night. Golded X1 Suzuka after a few tries, went on to Monza which I saved for last, BOOM! Gold on first try. Come to your father you sweet sweet X1 luscious high downforce beauty.

All gold X1, shit yeah.

Holy Red Balls! It gave me three of these fuckers!!!

expy

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
229 laps later and the mazda roadster endurance is completed. i never want to see that awful track again, and what's with the credit and xp distribution in this game being so shit?

all that time for a measly 200k xp

i'm still two levels off the vettel challenge :(
There's a 9 hour endurance on that track... ;D

expy

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
Fuck yeah, what a way to start the night. Golded X1 Suzuka after a few tries, went on to Monza which I saved for last, BOOM! Gold on first try. Come to your father you sweet sweet X1 luscious high downforce beauty.

All gold X1, shit yeah.

Holy Red Balls! It gave me three of these fuckers!!!
What;'s your driving line like on Suzuka? I'm 4 seconds off gold.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Go on then sweetheart.

Quote to reveal

Pretty sure the quote trick assures only GAF peeps can see my gift account. First to add gets it.

Claimed. No worries, will do give aways other days too. Stupid one a day limit.

My gift for the day is spent. I will be up past midnight. Already have someone in queue for the next one. Will be trying to do gifts the rest of the holiday. Fret not.

Top Bottom