• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

gutterboy44 said:

Quote to reveal

Pretty sure the quote trick assures only GAF peeps can see my gift account. First to add gets it.

Claimed. No worries, will do give aways other days too. Stupid one a day limit.
Send to dummy account > dummy account > dummy account > dummy account and then you have 5 sends a day?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
Right now I only have one sub account. I should add a few for a gift a thon.

They should just remove the gift limit. It was stupid in the first place.

Does anyone have a tuning set up that would make a 900hp Enzo more stable on the Nordschleife? I have the fixed sports kit on it right now and it feel like it does NOT want to be on the track, every bump throws the suspension on that thing, which means I cant utilize the crazy acceleration on it.
The Lancer Evo on the other hand is a fucking handling sensation. 530hp, and I can whip it around the 'Ring like a Lotus, it's amazing.

theignoramus said:
Does anyone have a tuning set up that would make a 900hp Enzo more stable on the Nordschleife? I have the fixed sports kit on it right now and it feel like it does NOT want to be on the track, every bump throws the suspension on that thing, which means I cant utilize the crazy acceleration on it.
The Lancer Evo on the other hand is a fucking handling sensation. 530hp, and I can whip it around the 'Ring like a Lotus, it's amazing.

Maybe raise the ride height. Needs it for the nord.
The suspension may also need some more damper and compression travel to allow for the bumps. You can adjust roll bars to increase turn in. Maybe add some camber to allow more contact when car is rolling.
This game doesn't really utilize tuning options as 'the other game' does but it does allow a better response to those tuning options it has.
There are plenty of tuning guides available on line if you research enough you can understand what each of the susp settings achieve.
Haven't got an Enzo so don't know the specifics....

ok, I think for gift car give aways I will do a quick trivia about racing or cars or something so there isn't just the begging list. I have my 12/29 gift already in line, so i guess 12/30 on it will be trivia based and the prize car determined a head of time. Once my garage gets big enough I will do a ticket 1000 style gift where I randomly generate a number and match it to the car on my spreadsheet.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm about to buy this game and a wheel, but I have a couple of questions, if somebody might be so kind as to answer one or two? First, what's a good wheel? Are there any that can be used on the PS3 and the 360? Lastly, can you change the visuals of the cars in any way?

Grayman

WanderingWind said:
I'm about to buy this game and a wheel, but I have a couple of questions, if somebody might be so kind as to answer one or two? First, what's a good wheel? Are there any that can be used on the PS3 and the 360? Lastly, can you change the visuals of the cars in any way?
2) aero parts: wings on most cars, front, back, more front on fewer.
paint: you can use the colour of one car on another once, there are also a few gifted to you by the game.
hoods: can put a carbon fibre hood in black or body colour on most cars
wheels: can be changed on 200 of the cars.
Race mod: only works on 18 cars.

So yes and no. Can you technically change the way some cars look yes. Is it personalized at all? no.

darkwing

Grayman said:
2) aero parts: wings on most cars, front, back, more front on fewer.
paint: you can use the colour of one car on another once, there are also a few gifted to you by the game.
hoods: can put a carbon fibre hood in black or body colour on most cars
wheels: can be changed on 200 of the cars.
Race mod: only works on 18 cars.

So yes and no. Can you technically change the way some cars look yes. Is it personalized at all? no.

wait, there are 18 rm cars? thought it was only 17

WanderingWind

Grayman said:

Cool. Thanks.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows that the wheels are just as proprietary as the controllers, which is to be expected. Goddamn it. :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WanderingWind said:
Cool. Thanks.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows that the wheels are just as proprietary as the controllers, which is to be expected. Goddamn it. :lol
You can buy a Porsche 911 wheel:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/index.php?cPath=21

However the 360/PS3 version w/pedals is really expensive ($500). I hear its a good wheel though.

I'd personally go for the Logitech GT wheel...PS3 only, but only <$150 w/pedals. It's a great wheel that I've gotten a ton of mileage of.

WanderingWind

chubigans said:
You can buy a Porsche 911 wheel:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/index.php?cPath=21

However the 360/PS3 version w/pedals is really expensive ($500). I hear its a good wheel though.

I'd personally go for the Logitech GT wheel...PS3 only, but only <$150 w/pedals. It's a great wheel that I've gotten a ton of mileage of.

I'm probably going to go with the Logitech wheel, then get a 360 one when Forza 4 comes out. It sounds like the cheapest option.

EDIT: $35? I wonder how long before this breaks down on me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WR42T6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
WanderingWind said:
I'm probably going to go with the Logitech wheel, then get a 360 one when Forza 4 comes out. It sounds like the cheapest option.

EDIT: $35? I wonder how long before this breaks down on me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WR42T6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't buy a cheap, shitty wheel.

Buy either the standard Logitech GT wheel, or the Logitech G27. I prefer the G27, but it is a lot more expensive....though worth every penny.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AlphaSnake said:

Buy either the standard Logitech GT wheel, or the Logitech G27. I prefer the G27, but it is a lot more expensive....though worth every penny.
Indeed. I really do recommend the Log GT wheel though...it's only $100 at Best Buy. But for gawds sakes, do NOT get a cheap wheel...it'll sour your whole experience.

Most of the fun of wheels is the force feedback, something that most cheap wheels don't pull off/omit entirely.

WanderingWind

Yeah, I figured as much. And while this is a GT5 thread, I love a lot of racing games. I was hoping for a singular solution. I may even save up for the big one. Or if that Fanatec one ever goes back on sale, maybe that one.

AlphaSnake said:

i concur. i even bought the logitech GT wheel and ended up returning it and getting the G27 because the GT wheel felt too cheap for my liking. The G27 is such an amazing toy, well worth the upgrade!

Truespeed

KingOfKong said:
i concur. i even bought the logitech GT wheel and ended up returning it and getting the G27 because the GT wheel felt too cheap for my liking. The G27 is such an amazing toy, well worth the upgrade!

The G27 is a good wheel, but there is something very appealing about being able to update the firmware of the wheel and adjust its settings independent of the game. If I was going to buy a high end wheel today it would be hands down the Fanatec.

Truespeed

Max said:
What are B-Spec Events? I forgot what the tutorial said

It places you in the position of a very hands on Stefano Domenicali or Christian Horner whereby you micro manage your driver throughout the race.

Ploid 3.0

I don't really need the x2010 (controller user and a/b spec both at lv 24). I thought you guys had a fast way to trade them. Also I hate tests.

Wonder what PD will do for new years. I still need to work on Seasonal 2 stuff. Haven't had good time and I start with the 1mil and work down. The NASCAR is kicking mt tail.

Truespeed said:
The G27 is a good wheel, but there is something very appealing about being able to update the firmware of the wheel and adjust its settings independent of the game. If I was going to buy a high end wheel today it would be hands down the Fanatec.

I got a chance to try both (fanatec turbo and g27) and the g27 was better in all regards for my tastes. Glad you like the fanatic wheel though, it is a great one indeed!

evil_as_skeletor said:
Maybe raise the ride height. Needs it for the nord.
The suspension may also need some more damper and compression travel to allow for the bumps. You can adjust roll bars to increase turn in. Maybe add some camber to allow more contact when car is rolling.
This game doesn't really utilize tuning options as 'the other game' does but it does allow a better response to those tuning options it has.
There are plenty of tuning guides available on line if you research enough you can understand what each of the susp settings achieve.
Haven't got an Enzo so don't know the specifics....
Well, I adjusted the ride height and that Enzo a little more managable on the 'Ring.
Anyway, I just cant heap enough praise on the Lancer Evo '07, what an awesome vehicle.
I own most of the high end premiums in the game, and outside the GTR '07, the Evo is my favourite car to drive. Throw some soft racing tires on it and the grip is unreal. Even someone with sloppy throttle control should be able to just whip around in that thing.

Gek54

KingOfKong said:
I got a chance to try both (fanatec turbo and g27) and the g27 was better in all regards for my tastes. Glad you like the fanatic wheel though, it is a great one indeed!

Less precision, smaller grip, no grip rumble, less smooth gear driven, no custom settings, deadzone. Where do your tastes kick in?

Max

I am not Max
I'm actually having more fun with this game than I thought I would. Was never really a fan of racing games, but progressing through the main mode is addicting.

Only problem I'm having with it is figuring out which cars are needed for some of the events because I can't remember all the names when I go into the used car dealer

"Seasonal" NASCAR Nurburgring event - Gold!

1st attempt: Stock settings, 9th
2nd attempt: Adjusted top speed (210mph max), Maximum downforce, crashed before final straight, 2nd
3rd attempt: Didn't crash, 1st!

That's all of the Seasonal Events done for me now, they were awesome and much more challenging this time. I think my favourite was the RX7 event as the car was so dreamy to drive, followed by the NASCAR which was like trying to survive a tornado attack. NASCARs and the Nurburgring both want to kill you and your family and coupled together they form an insane challenge!

I have a handful of A-Spec events left now (excluding Endurance)

- Touring Car
- Dream Car
- Historic Cup
- Formula GT

I am going to leave Formula GT for a while I think, it was a bitch fest in GT3 and GT4 and as some of the tracks now have rain and there is no saving it will be a while before I tackle it.

Onto Expert AMG challenges, Final Rally event (Advanced?), getting my S Licence and continuing with B-Spec.

KennyLinder said:
"Seasonal" NASCAR Nurburgring event - Gold!

1st attempt: Stock settings, 9th
2nd attempt: Adjusted top speed (210mph max), Maximum downforce, crashed before final straight, 2nd
3rd attempt: Didn't crash, 1st!

That's all of the Seasonal Events done for me now, they were awesome and much more challenging this time. I think my favourite was the RX7 event as the car was so dreamy to drive, followed by the NASCAR which was like trying to survive a tornado attack. NASCARs and the Nurburgring both want to kill you and your family and coupled together they form an insane challenge!
A good reason for me not to try it :lol

I dread the Nurburgring.

Piggus

People giving away X1s like candy as if it isn't a hard enough car to obtain already. Where to you people find the time!?

Yowsers!!

I switch the game on today to find that one fine gentleman known as 'Goldrusher' has sent me a Mazda 787B. :D

I'm practically speechless. Thank you so much Goldrusher! You're awesome!!

Thrakier

KennyLinder said:
Wow the ZR-1 with RM and all the upgrades is a MONSTER, it took Like the Wind and ripped it to pieces, awesome! Used it for the Laguna Seca "All America" event too, a good solid win there.

With my new shiny Toyota Minolta, is that good to go for the GT All Stars? It looks like it should.

What the FUCK? I just bought the ZR1 with all updates and RM for a good 600.000 to 700.000 and I don't stand a chane??? (614kw)

DonMigs85

Thrakier said:
What the FUCK? I just bought the ZR1 with all updates and RM for a good 600.000 to 700.000 and I don't stand a chane??? (614kw)
Yes I'm using the Miinolta now. Just slap on the Stage 3 Turbo and Chassis Reinforcement, lower the ride height a bit and you're good to go.

Top Bottom