• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

-viper-

Banned
What is the most efficient way to attain level 25 B-Spec?

Also, is it even possible to win NASCAR B-Spec? What is the best tuning/car setup? Can't imagine how my B-Spec driver is ever going to win the Formula series either...

TTG

Second session(nothing major, I've spent more time on other events) in X1 on Nurburgring over and I'm still prizeless. I'ts a combination of the track layout and the car. My driving style is a lot of on/off stuff. This time trial seems to require a lot of partial brake, partial steering etc... need more practice.

Unlocked the X1 challenge tonight. My god, so awesome. First time I completed two laps at Nurb I thought I drove the wheels off...+5 sec off bronze :/ An hour later, Gold! It was an amazing sensation to piece two ragged edge laps together with that beastly machine. Went to Suzuka next and got silver after a few tries. That track is exhausting in the X1. From just Golding X1 Nurb and silver on Suzuka I went from lvl 30 to 32 with a tiny bit left to 33 :) On to monza now and cleaning up that silver.

dkeane

Finally got around to try out the online...

If myself and someone on my friends list are online what's the easiest way for us to both join someone's room?
It seems the game needs better filtering for online rooms - or I'm just missing something.

expy

Banned
dkeane said:
Finally got around to try out the online...

If myself and someone on my friends list are online what's the easiest way for us to both join someone's room?
It seems the game needs better filtering for online rooms - or I'm just missing something.
One of you joni the room, then the other guy just has to go to Community -> You -> Click on golden icon next to Lounge -> Join

Dementia

Okay, this is really bothering me-- why is it that brand new, level zero, nub of a b-spec driver Z.Kok with nearly all low stats is able to drive around the entire Indy Speedway course at full throttle (no less than 220mph) and make some pretty sick overtakes on the corners while running cool, zero strength remaining, and without me having touched the controller for five minutes, while my level 27 driver (and all my other 20+ drivers) requires that I do a ceremonial dance and sacrifice 20 bulls just for him to break 200mph on corners in the same car with the same tires, same tuning, same opponents, and same everything else imaginable?! Z.Kok's best lap is a full 2.5 seconds faster than anything I've managed to do with any of those other high level cocksuckers.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Did the latest update fuck up the custom soundtrack feature for anyone else? No matter how many times I save my settings it just seems to revert back to the game's standard soundtrack after a few races.

expy

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Did the latest update fuck up the custom soundtrack feature for anyone else? No matter how many times I save my settings it just seems to revert back to the game's standard soundtrack after a few races.
Yup.

darkwing

Dementia said:
Okay, this is really bothering me-- why is it that brand new, level zero, nub of a b-spec driver Z.Kok with nearly all low stats is able to drive around the entire Indy Speedway course at full throttle (no less than 220mph) and make some pretty sick overtakes on the corners while running cool, zero strength remaining, and without me having touched the controller for five minutes, while my level 27 driver (and all my other 20+ drivers) requires that I do a ceremonial dance and sacrifice 20 bulls just for him to break 200mph on corners in the same car with the same tires, same tuning, same opponents, and same everything else imaginable?! Z.Kok's best lap is a full 2.5 seconds faster than anything I've managed to do with any of those other high level cocksuckers.

He is a genius

X-Frame said:
I hope that the next Seasonal Bonus races take into account each car's maximum HP after an initial oil-change and break-in period.

I hope they allow you to use cars you have and not have to purchase cars to race in them ... unless I'm missing something. I bought a Mini Cooper and barely keep up with last place ... so sad.

expy

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
I hope they allow you to use cars you have and not have to purchase cars to race in them ... unless I'm missing something. I bought a Mini Cooper and barely keep up with last place ... so sad.
If they did that the challenge wouldn't be a challenge. The whole point is to use a specific car under specified tuning requirements to be able to drive a technical race and finish 1st.

mr_nothin

Banned
Dementia said:

Different personalities and driving skills? Maybe he's a natural and you should be happy about that. Now you dont have to struggle/fight as much.

dwebo

Ugh, why is it that when you sort by make, it sorts within the make by date acquired. FFS, make > model > not rm, rm > then by all means, do date acquired. The garage is an OCD person's nightmare. :'(

darkwing said:
He is a genius
Missed the avatar quote opportunity there!
At least I think that's Einstein.

Dementia

mr_nothin said:
Different personalities and driving skills? Maybe he's a natural and you should be happy about that. Now you dont have to struggle/fight as much.
The cynic in me expects this to be a trait that Z.Kok will grow out of with "experience," but man I really hope it sticks. An oval pro like this would make grinding the Indy so much less stressful. Would it be a bad idea to leave one driver in for the entire Indy 500? :lol

dwebo said:
Missed the avatar quote opportunity there!
At least I think that's Einstein.
;) yes

darkwing

Dementia said:
The cynic in me expects this to be a trait that Z.Kok will grow out of with "experience," but man I really hope it sticks. An oval pro like this would make grinding the Indy so much less stressful. Would it be a bad idea to leave one driver in for the entire Indy 500? :lol

;) yes

lol wasn't too sure, but yup each driver is unique, my first one already has grey bars at lvl 29 while my other lvl 29s are still green

oh i just bought and tuned a Sambabus, was able to beat the Beginner races quite easily at 202hp lol i'm going to try it online just for the giggles

offshore

Oh my God this 10 lap NASCAR race at Daytona continues to be a fucking bitch :lol

God knows how many attempts I've done at it, but the fuckers keep spinning me out. But boy it's awesome, it feels like real close racing. This is the race I do to remind myself that GT5 can do incredible, close racing.

I hope PD keep the NASCAR license next time around. If they shore up the exaggerated drafting and made the AI a little smarter, and just made more a bit use of the series, then I for one would welcome it.

Mush

offshore said:
Oh my God this 10 lap NASCAR race at Daytona continues to be a fucking bitch :lol

God knows how many attempts I've done at it, but the fuckers keep spinning me out. But boy it's awesome, it feels like real close racing. This is the race I do to remind myself that GT5 can do incredible, close racing.

I hope PD keep the NASCAR license next time around. If they shore up the exaggerated drafting and made the AI a little smarter, and just made more a bit use of the series, then I for one would welcome it.
/insert something about Infineon Raceway here

My B-spec is pissing me. He is currently doing the Nascar event, with tuning settings that gave me a very easy gold... but he can't win those stupid races.
E.g. Superspeedway, I was first place after the first fucking corner because with the right settings the car can do the corners much faster than the AI. But my B-spec driver is actually going SLOWER in the high speed curves than the other cars, so he is now 9th place. I HATE HIM.

DonMigs85

Can anyone loan me an Escudo or Formula GT for Like the Wind? I'll do anything!
PS Is it possible to get your car back after trading if you restore an older save?

I picked this game up on the mega-cheap ($10.50) over Christmas weekend.

I've never played a Gran Turismo game outside of a few minutes with in-store demos. In that environment I hated it.

However last night I sat down and gave the game a chance. If anything I am in love with this game for it's music and menu design. I ran through a couple of practice laps just to get a feel for the game and then at some point it clicked: maybe this game isn't about quick pick-up-and-play racing and needs to be approached with patience. Learning how your car handles, learning the track, and eventually experiencing the sense of accomplishment when you finish first place on a track you struggled on. It was cool to come up to turns and think "ok I know exactly what to do here". I still have some nitpicks with the game yet after my play session last night I was seriously contemplating getting a wheel. :lol

Since this is my first time with GT I'm going to have questions. Is there any downside to buying a car used outside of not being able to pick its color? I noticed each used car has a certain amount of mileage, does that play into the game at all? I noticed the car I drive in real life, the Toyota Scion xB, is in this game yet I don't see it anywhere, do I have to unlock it?

zoukka

Played a bunch of GT last nite with friends and it's good (haven't played in a while), but the used cars buying system is shit. Also the driver AI in the lower classes is so bad. Nothing like being 1st in the last stretch and being bum rushed and spinned to las place. Like even the tiniest collision sends my car spinning uncontrollably :|

Numpt3

dwebo said:
I'd say don't bother unless it doesn't feel right when you're driving.
Ok, guess I'l leave it then. I'm going to start the GT championship as soon as I get home from work so I'l see how I get on.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Since this is my first time with GT I'm going to have questions. Is there any downside to buying a car used outside of not being able to pick its color? I noticed each used car has a certain amount of mileage, does that play into the game at all? I noticed the car I drive in real life, the Toyota Scion xB, is in this game yet I don't see it anywhere, do I have to unlock it?

The main difference between standard cars (used cars) and premium cars (the cars that you find the dealerships) is that the standard cars don't have a cockpit view. There are other differences which you brought up. Since they have miles on them already you might need to do an oil change, engine repair and body rigidity repair on them. All of those will increase the cars performance. You should always check the oil first, since if it's clean you won't need to worry about the engine or the body rigidity.

As far as the Scion goes, that's a standard car and they cycle randomly. You'll just need to check the used cars every now and then and hope that it turns up.

Az

Dementia said:

His name is Ze Kok. How can he not be bad ass

ze germans

Shaneus

Fuuuck... trying to grind 23->24 so I can buy the GTF1 in the special online store before it disappears (because I've read that you *need* an F1 car later on) and it's so. fucking. painful. Especially when I have 7m credits sitting there doing nothing :/

Would love to see some kind of feature where you can race with one or more of your B-spec drivers in an A-spec race. What would be the chances of this happening in GT5?

Better prize cars would be nice, too:
Congratulations, you've just finished a "legends" championship! Here, have a car that would've been REAL useful in this series but isn't really that helpful to you now. :lol

sigh

offshore

Shaneus said:
Fuuuck... trying to grind 23->24 so I can buy the GTF1 in the special online store before it disappears
The Formula GT doesn't disappear...if that's the car you mean.
cilonen said:
PNAU - Baby (Breakbot Remix).

Is there any way I can remove this musical atrocity entirely from the game?
So that's what it is :lol

I replaced it with GT:HD's music. You can turn them off and put your own music in from the music library menu.

cilonen

offshore said:
So that's what it is :lol

I replaced it with GT:HD's music. You can turn them off and put your own music in from the music library menu.

I'll have a scan when I get back to my PS3 - I'm away from home right now; but I've read on forums that this particular track doesn't show up in the soundtrack list, so I may have to do what you suggest and scrap the entire soundtrack for a custom one. D'oh - I like most of the rest of GT5's soundtrack!

SolidSnakex said:
The main difference between standard cars (used cars) and premium cars (the cars that you find the dealerships) is that the standard cars don't have a cockpit view. There are other differences which you brought up. Since they have miles on them already you might need to do an oil change, engine repair and body rigidity repair on them. All of those will increase the cars performance. You should always check the oil first, since if it's clean you won't need to worry about the engine or the body rigidity.

As far as the Scion goes, that's a standard car and they cycle randomly. You'll just need to check the used cars every now and then and hope that it turns up.
Thanks for the response. I actually had no idea you had to do maintenance on your car.

Is there a set time interval the used cars cycle at? Or is per every couple races or something?

Shaneus

offshore said:
The Formula GT doesn't disappear...if that's the car you mean.
True? Awesome. Means I can go back to enjoying it (also means I have a few million with which to play. Hellooo McLaren F1 :D).

cilonen

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Thanks for the response. I actually had no idea you had to do maintenance on your car.

Is there a set time interval the used cars cycle at? Or is per every couple races or something?

Every game 'day' (i.e. every time you enter- you don't have to finish - a new event, race or license test) the used dealership will get six new cars and the bottom six from the list will disappear. So the complete stock will be refreshed every 5 game 'days'.

thundr51

Anybody got ideas on what to use for the Rally special event races? I bought a Celica, but then found out that it needs to have 245 HP. I don't mind buying another car, but I because I suck so hard at this game I want to be able to use it multiple times.

-viper-

Banned
Just completed the 300km Grand Valley Speedway race B-Spec. Took me 1 hour and 20 minutes in the X1. Now I have to repeat it 2 more times to jump from level 25 to level 26. :\

flyinpiranha said:

The first batch I was able to gold/silver all after a few attempts at each. Doing so EASILY paid for the car and the upgrades.

On the second batch, I'm struggling to get 3rd/4th, which STILL pays for the upgrades but less of a bonus.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone have a good tuning guide for the seasonal events #2, the challenge that is to the left of the NASCAR challenge? (i dont remember what it's called and i am doing a B-Spec race right now).

_RT_

test_account said:
Does anyone have a good tuning guide for the seasonal events #2, the challenge that is to the left of the NASCAR challenge? (i dont remember what it's called and i am doing a B-Spec race right now).

The RX-7 one. And it sucks.
Ugh.

test_account

XP-39C²
_RT_ said:
The RX-7 one. And it sucks.
Ugh.
Ah yes, the RX-7 indeed, thanks :) I didnt remember the name. My best so far is 7th place, but i havnt really done much tuning or raced many times though. But i tried again yesterday and i was like 50 seconds behind 1st place after the first round, so i quite lol.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
cilonen said:
PNAU - Baby (Breakbot Remix).

Is there any way I can remove this musical atrocity entirely from the game?

why you want to do that?

it's the best song in the game, so cute and so awesome, you have no soul :(

_RT_

test_account said:
Ah yes, the RX-7 indeed :) I didnt remember the name. My best so far is 7th place, but i havnt really done much tuning or raced many times though. But i tried again yesterday and i was like 50 seconds behind 1st place after the first round, so i quite lol.

Which RX-7 did you tune?
I tuned an older model and I still can't get better than 6. I think I may have to buy a newer ride.

_RT_ said:
Which RX-7 did you tune?
I tuned an older model and I still can't get better than 6. I think I may have to buy a newer ride.

Make sure you buy all other upgrades, especially transmission. Managed 4th without the transmission, bought the fully customized one, set it to 135mph or around there and was able to get up to first in lap 9. You really got to let the RX-7 slide a bit and take advantage if its super sharp yet stable turn in. You can really attack the apexes and that bitch just holds. That event started out as a rage fest but ended up making me really appreciate the RX-7 as a car.

razu

Okay, I *love* the chilled out jazz of GT. I sometimes even hum old GT menu music out of habit... Great. Awesome. Happy days!

However, in GT5, *that* track with the kids singing, with the volume maxed out so the voices fade in and out with every drum beat... is making me want to kill all humans.

So, I went into the music track list, previewed *every* *fucking* track. I swear it's not there.

Thing is, I want the awesome jazz, just not this shite-awful track, that pops up all the time. But it looks like I'm going to have to just turn the menu music off. I find myself racing through the menus to try and avoid the vocals on that track. Shit ain't right!

Please someone tell me how to turn it off...! Please...

Top Bottom